• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was rank 20 in standard screwing around with different control decks, losing to the most hilarious crappy decks imaginable. Win three or so, lose three or so in funny ways, having a good ol time. Thinking I might try to stick around the garbage ranks for fun.

Wanted to give jade midrange shaman a try, immediate 10 game winning streak to 14.

I think I might be terrible at control decks. Or just the game in general.

Dropping white eyes on turn 5 against a pirate warrior and then immediately drawing the storm guardian is immensely satisfying and hilarious though.

Pooya

"give control a chance"

.... you give them a chance and they will never die. That's how you beat control, the more you give them time to react the worse it gets for you. Jade is designed for anti control and it's not even that great of anti control tool because it's terrible tempo and it's slow, there is plenty of time to win the game against it, you want to make it worse?

I'm still baffled why people think control is some good guy that needs special treatment because reasons. Control is already too strong right now, any more and people will uninstall the game in masses.

You can't make control any stronger than it is in this game because the counters don't exist anymore, there is no OTK, we don't have any extra turn shenanigans in this game either and unlike other card games, when your deck runs out of cards, you don't instantly lose.

Blizzard

Banned
"give control a chance"

.... you give them a chance and they will never die. That's how you beat control, the more you give them time to react the worse it gets for you. Jade is designed for anti control and it's not even that great of anti control tool because it's terrible tempo and it's slow, there is plenty of time to win the game against it, you want to make it worse?

I'm still baffled why people think control is some good guy that needs special treatment because reasons. Control is already too strong right now, any more and people will uninstall the game in masses.

You can't make control any stronger than it is in this game because the counters don't exist anymore, there is no OTK, we don't have any extra turn shenanigans in this game either and unlike other card games, when your deck runs out of cards, you don't instantly lose.
I recently learned Warrior OTK had been killed. What about Priest OTK? Did they change something to prevent it?

I do agree that control makes games super long though.

game after game after game in the last 50 or so I am running into decks that have that small tech counter that is pretty much auto lose. It is really starting to tilt me. Moonfire in jade druid was the latest. Followed by switching it up into another deck only to somehow then run into its counter. I am really on board the rock paper scissors critique of this current meta. Feels like your win rate is far more determined by your next worthy opponent than anything else.

Blizzard

Banned
game after game after game in the last 50 or so I am running into decks that have that small tech counter that is pretty much auto lose. It is really starting to tilt me. Moonfire in jade druid was the latest. Followed by switching it up into another deck only to somehow then run into its counter. I am really on board the rock paper scissors critique of this current meta. Feels like your win rate is far more determined by your next worthy opponent than anything else.
How can this be avoided, though? Are you wanting a situation where a deck can be ideal for highly competitive play, yet not have a hard counter? If that's the case, wouldn't everyone just use that deck?

Or is the solution something where there are a bunch of equally good decks, few of which have hard counters?

fertygo

So you want midrange shaman n combo druid situation again

okayyyyyy buddy.. yeah

Rogue can OTK a few ways. Maly rogue is well established.

Then there is also leeroy + faceless and double cold blood.

But who cares about OTK? You don't actually need OTK to beat control decks.

scarlet

Rogue can OTK a few ways. Maly rogue is well established.

Then there is also leeroy + faceless and double cold blood.

But who cares about OTK? You don't actually need OTK to beat control decks.

Just tried this deck with leeroy + FM + 2 cb. 28 damage on board.

I still need to learn rogue more. Is VC really essential?

I only had 1 prep, 1 questing adv. And obviously had emperor for the combo. But if it's really needed I can dust my malcheezar and rafaam for those 2 or 3 cards.

fertygo

I only had 1 prep, 1 questing adv. And obviously had emperor for the combo. But if it's really needed I can dust my malcheezar and rafaam for those 2 or 3 cards.

Edwin is 2nd best card in miracoli after Tomb Pillager

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jade is overrated in countering control imo. People, control doesn't have to win via fatigue or killing every threat.

Jade Druid specifically is a real problem just because there is literally no way to exhaust their supply of Jade Golems, and druid pumps them out cheaper and more often than the other jade classes by far.

Jade Idol is insane once you get to Fandral/Auctioneer turns, and no matter what your control win condition is you probably aren't killing them before turn 8. That leaves you with a very small window in which to get your shit done before you are completely overwhelmed.

spoon!

VC is goddamn incredible after the silence nerfs, but if I had to choose between him and a 2nd prep I'd take the 2nd prep.

fertygo

Having so much fun BMing patches deck with control warr, queueing druid straight after.. karma:/

Dirty Rat and Alley Armorsmith is goddamn insane in cwarr, how frigging dominant Tank up can be if they never print Jade stuff and Kazakus

Reno Mage and Priest not even lopsided matchup for Cwarr, only the Warlock

Q8D3vil

Im seeing alot of midrange jade shamans ( controlish ) that are runs chiefstain and brann, i guess it counters reno decks.
Some of them even have bloodlust to help close the games.

squidyj

I am playing a beast druid?
and I am winning games?

I am confused.

Edit: renolock was not prepared for my turn 3 7/9 fandral. (turn 2 fandral, turn 3 +4/+4 and taunt)

So you want midrange shaman n combo druid situation again

okayyyyyy buddy.. yeah

I am playing more now than I have in about 2 years. I feel more compelled to play since the meta isn't completely defined by one deck and counters to that deck. They are really getting there with class balance and card balance. I just think this current meta being so defined by patches and Kazakus resulting in this rock paper scissors feel is the worst part of it. But it can't be all that bad since I feel compelled to ladder so much still. Upon reflection there had always been a strong element of rock paper scissors in Hearthstone based on the randomness of who you cue into most of the time but I think it is those defining cards that make it seem even more so.

scarlet

Finally crafted VC and another prep.

No S17 in my deck, so sometimes I have shitty hand full of cold blood, prep, countefeit coin and more spells.

I don't think I need emperor and FM, but the combo is so much fun.

Edit: removed emperor and FM.

Deck is quite fun. But the probability of having no minion in hand is quite huge.

Met this guy, thought he was Reno apparently freeze.

ErMX23p.png

Blizzard

Banned
I just encountered my first case of really misleading text.

Getaway Kodo says "Secret: When a friendly minion dies, return it to your hand."

However, I attacked with a friendly minion, died because of the counterattack, and did not get it back. Only later when the enemy player killed a minion on their turn did the secret trigger. :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I just encountered my first case of really misleading text.

Getaway Kodo says "Secret: When a friendly minion dies, return it to your hand."

However, I attacked with a friendly minion, died because of the counterattack, and did not get it back. Only later when the enemy player killed a minion on their turn did the secret trigger. :(

That's not an issue with the text, that's how all secrets work. Secrets only trigger on your opponent's turn. That's why secrets go dark on your turn and then light back up on your opponent's turn.

Blizzard

Banned
That's not an issue with the text, that's how all secrets work. Secrets only trigger on your opponent's turn. That's why secrets go dark on your turn and then light back up on your opponent's turn.
Ooh, I didn't know this. Thanks.

*edit* Wiki says there's one exception, Competitive Spirit.

ZealousD

Ooh, I didn't know this. Thanks.

*edit* Wiki says there's one exception, Competitive Spirit.

Okay, yeah. But that triggers on your NEXT turn, though. Not the turn you cast it.

The intent of secrets is that it's suppose to be a mechanic that your opponent plays around. Not that it's just some other kind of spell that you can cast on your own turn. For example, you used to be able to do some shenanigans with Eye for and Eye where you could attack with a weapon into some 8 atk minion and then deal that 8 damage to the opponent's face. Wasn't really in the spirit of the mechanic.

gutshot

Worth pointing out that this probably works with Shadow Madness too. As that spell does a similar thing: Take an enemy minion, give it charge so you can attack with it and gives it back at end of turn.

Yup. It sure does.

Also, if you Entomb an enemy minion your Djinni will go back into your deck. 😂

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How do you play reno mage in mirror matches? and how do you deal with druid and shaman? Should you copy reno or kazakus?

Maximum value. Brann kazakus manic is such an annoying combo to deal with. 4 kazakus potions is hard to overcome. Harder than two Renos I would say.

bjaelke

Starting in February they'll be posting the top 100 arena players on a monthly basis (similar to ranked). Might move to the standard format and reduce number of common/useless cards offered.

Blizzard

Banned
About the stream, someone asked about Paladin and Hunter. The designer only mentioned Paladin in his response that I heard, haha.

Its been the worst day. Been so close all day to ranking from 11 to 10, now back to 12 due to every opponent getting perfect draws each turn.
Man I hate the ranking system.
Perfect draws is a random thing, unless you believe Blizzard internally stacks the RNG rolls themselves.

How could the ranking system be improved though? Is losing rank what you dislike, or losing so many in a row?

ZealousD

About the stream, someone asked about Paladin and Hunter. The designer only mentioned Paladin in his response that I heard, haha.

No. He mentioned that Rat Pack and Dispatch Kodo were actually very good cards. Hunter is being stymied by the pirate package so if the metagame slows down then Hunter can make a resurgence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom