• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You know they said out of the gate they would never make any cthun cards but have they said anything about the future of the three factions in MSOG? Would be nice to see Reno style decks continue and for hand buff to get better

and for me to get to a 30/30 golem on turn 7

Blizzard

Banned
You know they said out of the gate they would never make any cthun cards but have they said anything about the future of the three factions in MSOG? Would be nice to see Reno style decks continue and for hand buff to get better

But I hate both of these things! Why must you be the enemy of everything good and right!

Miletius

Rogue is only relevant because of pirates. That being said, any competently built rogue deck is ok now because you can add the pirate package to survive/dominate the early game. Why seize tempo when you can never lose it to begin with?

Shaman was relevant before and is even better now because of pirates. When Trogg and Totem golem disappear they will hurt a bit, but they still have pirates to fall back on.

I guess that's the problem. Both rogue and shaman would be dead in the water come next expansion without the pirate package. Nerfing them now might mean they need to make adjustments to their new set in order to keep both classes relevant. That's why they might be hesistant to pull the plug on pirate shenanigans because it might end up being bad in the long run.

I decided to do wild this month -- it feels like a much easier climb. Rogue is better than secret paladin now especially if you run 2x fan for turn 3. You have more than enough resources to beat his curve and his early game isn't as good as pirates.

fertygo

They talking about printing more card like acolyte of pain so handbuff could benefit iirc

hey im looking for a new deck to play, something other than aggro. have been playing renolock for the longest time but its getting boring.

I have recently found most versions of Shadowform RenoPriest are great fun. I was playing an OTK version yesterday and enjoyed it, but found it to be a bit inconsistent in the long run.

Today, I started playing this one - which relies heavily on the Inspire mechanic - and was doing really well with it for a while earler today. It uses a bunch of underutilized cards, and most players have no idea how to play against or around them due to unfamiliarity.

Playing Raza (5) to make your Hero Power (0), and on the next turn playing Confessor Paletress (7) and Garrison Commander (2) to give you double Hero Power resulting in two random legendaries on board is a lot for you opponent to handle. That is however just one combo. The decks feels like it is full of combos, burst and surprise lethal opportunities.

Lyng

Rogue is only relevant because of pirates. That being said, any competently built rogue deck is ok now because you can add the pirate package to survive/dominate the early game. Why seize tempo when you can never lose it to begin with?

Shaman was relevant before and is even better now because of pirates. When Trogg and Totem golem disappear they will hurt a bit, but they still have pirates to fall back on.

I guess that's the problem. Both rogue and shaman would be dead in the water come next expansion without the pirate package. Nerfing them now might mean they need to make adjustments to their new set in order to keep both classes relevant. That's why they might be hesistant to pull the plug on pirate shenanigans because it might end up being bad in the long run.

I decided to do wild this month -- it feels like a much easier climb. Rogue is better than secret paladin now especially if you run 2x fan for turn 3. You have more than enough resources to beat his curve and his early game isn't as good as pirates.

Secret paladin has a hard time against a few decks that simply kill before turn six. Also dragon priest is quiet strong against it.
On EU Wild has quiet a few strong decks. Aggro shaman has loatheb and crackle, and there is egg druid that is also insane.
For me standard was easier and faster this month. Where pre msog Wild was much easier

Gettaway Paladin when it works:
hearthstonescreenshote2axu.png

But it mostly doesn't. Deck is really fun to play but needs fixing.

wiibomb

They already said they are not going to be printing more reno style cards for a while. A shame since I like a lot that archetype.

And I also think they tend to print cards for a mechanic in one expansion and leave it behind afterwards, I don't have much faith in them focusing at all on C'Thun or the families anymore. The rare exeptions were the discover mechanic (which was really good, so using it was a must) and the reno style cards (which was kind of needed since the style was going down without reno).

bjaelke

PCGamer: Hearthstone’s Ben Brode on how long until Pirates walk the plank
Ben Brode said:
Small-Time Buccaneer is the problem. If we changed anything it would be Small-Time Buccaneer. I don’t think we’ve even discussed what that change would be. I’ll tell you also that, in general, I prefer changes to have the minimum amount of change to the card text.

[...]

I see Arcane Golem and I try to attack with it on the first turn, but I didn’t even read the text. So it’s better, I think, to change one of the big numbers on the cards, especially the mana cost. Those have a much higher impact on real play, and the Rockbiter nerf didn’t hurt the understandability of Rockbiter Weapon in the way that the Arcane Golem one did.
Ben Brode said:
With Spirit Claws, our intention was to help the other classes more than we helped Shaman with Karazhan, and that didn’t quite happen. One of the things we learned from Karazhan was that this was something we didn’t want to see happen, and it happened, and that was a bummer.

fertygo

Would you say it’s Small-Time Buccaneer rather than Patches which is the one driving the ubiquity of those cards? It feels like people aren’t actually mad about Patches. They get that it’s a cool mechanic, but disagree with the power level of Buccaneer and the ease with which you can activate it in Shaman and Rogue.
Fuck off PC Gamer, who said this? rank 20 redditor?

man I'm pissed if that's the consensus that lead only STB that nerfed

Xanathus

Fuck off PC Gamer, who said this? rank 20 redditor?

man I'm pissed if that's the consensus that lead only STB that nerfed

STB is definitely the major culprit for the increase in power of Pirate decks, not Patches. Patches only helps in adding consistency by thinning the deck, but it's STB that's the Undertaker which boosts Pirate deck's early game. If you read the article carefully even Ben Brode agrees with it. Methinks someone else is the rank 20 player here.

fertygo

STB is definitely the major culprit for the increase in power of Pirate decks, not Patches. Patches only helps in adding consistency by thinning the deck, but it's STB that's the Undertaker which boosts Pirate deck's early game. If you read the article carefully even Ben Brode agrees with it. Methinks someone else is the rank 20 player here.

No shit I read the article, bjaelke's quote not even brought that piece so the only way I can copy paste that through that article, really dude?

And no STB is strong, but its not made these pirate giving incredible consistency in almost every single game by free resource that appear out of nowhere, its simply wrong one card can affect that much of consistency just only with playing few pirate.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Patches only helps in adding consistency by thinning the deck

Deck thinning is like #5 on the reasons why Patches is good. Patches makes the first pirate you play OP as all hell, whether it is STB or otherwise.

If Blizzard nerfs STB so that it becomes a 2/2 when a weapon is equipped, pirates won't go away.

Xanathus

Deck thinning is like #5 on the reasons why Patches is good. Patches makes the first pirate you play OP as all hell, whether it is STB or otherwise.

If Blizzard nerfs STB so that it becomes a 2/2 when a weapon is equipped, pirates won't go away.

Try actually playing a pirate deck without STB but has Patches and see how well it does. Patches is definitely a good card but Pirate decks would only be slightly stronger as they were pre-Patches if it wasn't for STB. Before STB and Patches were introduced the only viable meta Pirate deck was Pirate Warrior and it was hardly popular because of the weak early game.

ZealousD

Try actually playing a pirate deck without STB but has Patches and see how well it does. Patches is definitely a good card but Pirate decks would only be slightly stronger as they were pre-Patches if it wasn't for STB. Before STB and Patches were introduced the only viable meta Pirate deck was Pirate Warrior and it was hardly popular because of the weak early game.

I think Rogue and Warrior pirate decks would still be very strong without STB. Rogue can play Buccaneer and Pirate Warrior has enough flex to work with. Shaman would be the only class to suffer with a nerfed STB.

fertygo

And try playing STB in deck without Patches as well then, STB is alot weaker without Patches, mistress can contest it 1/1, living roots not leaving junk that leave 2-3 extra chip damage

I call shenanigan if one can think STB affect overall percentage more than Patches

Xanathus

I think Rogue and Warrior pirate decks would still be very strong without STB. Rogue can play Buccaneer and Pirate Warrior has enough flex to work with. Shaman would be the only class to suffer with a nerfed STB.

Pirate Warrior would be about the same as they were pre-Gadgetzan, I think Rogues wouldn't even play Patches if your only pirate in the deck was Buccaneer and would go back to Undercity Huckster for early game. Shamans definitely wouldn't run any pirates without STB.

ZealousD

Pirate Warrior would be about the same as they were pre-Gadgetzan, I think Rogues wouldn't even play Patches if your only pirate in the deck was Buccaneer and would go back to Undercity Huckster for early game. Shamans definitely wouldn't run any pirates without STB.

Pirate Warrior wouldn't be the same as pre-Gadgetzan, because the deck would run Patches. That's enough.

Rogue would play both Buccaneer and Swashburgler.

Pooya

from that interview sounds like they're more likely to increase the cost of STB. If they do that, surely it won't stay a 1/2 right? that would be dumb, so it's probably going to be 2 mana 2/2, become 4/2 with a weapon. That might not seem too bad by itself but you no longer have a stupid curve and that makes it really bad and probably unplayable.

I think people will still play patches though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You could make STB a battlecry +2 attack if you have a weapon equipped. Not a strict nerf but still takes away the insane turn 1 play.

Dahbomb

They can delete STB from the game and Patches would still be auto include in Pirate Warrior, probably Rogue decks too.

But it's still too early to make assumptions on what Pirate decks will look post rotation. Maybe they also move Korkron Elite to Wild... who knows.

Blizzard

Banned
I got excited seeing the ranked season was ending soon, thinking a patch might happen. Then I realized it's just the monthly season. :p

luoapp

Ben Brode said:
With Spirit Claws, our intention was to help the other classes more than we helped Shaman with Karazhan, and that didn’t quite happen. One of the things we learned from Karazhan was that this was something we didn’t want to see happen, and it happened, and that was a bummer.

What does this mean?! Please, someone help me with the logic here.

Ben Brode said:
Molten Giant also did some weird things to the gameplay experience that I’m not sure were better or not. Another issue is how does it affect the Wild meta? Molten Giant is interesting, because it’s now getting played in Holy Wrath decks.

Wut? Holy Wrath deck? What is he talking about? They murdered Molten Giant with that nerf, which is the most fun giant to play with and against.

Pooya

I think it's a problem with the way it's transcribed. The part inside commas isn't about spirit claws. He's just saying with Karazhan they didn't want to help shaman like they ended up doing, it's just that it turned out those cards are just good in existing decks rather than creating something different like with witch doctor. wicked witch doctor/spirit claw/ portal are all about spell synergy. What happened was that, shaman got the best cards in that set and other classes didn't get much and shaman was already the best class.

wiibomb

they though that was a worthless weapon that nobody would use, because the team behind hearthstone has a developing mentality that throwing trash cards to a good class is how you can fix the game them (I don't like that mentality at all)

the problem is that they didn't test this one enough to see how good it could actually perform in existing decks and thus, making the class a little more OP than it already was.

manhack

If I recall both spirit claws and maelstrom portal received a lot of mediocre reviews pre-release and it seemed as if Team 5 was giving shaman some bad cards to lower the overall power level.

Turns out both cards are great and in hindsight it's hard to understand how they missed this.

_DrMario_

That article is something else. I mean if I didn't think Brode was a complete fool before, the part about Arcane Golem would certainly convince me.

Dahbomb

Team 5 seems to be flip flopping quite a bit with their balancing.

Remember Warsong Commander how instead of changing its stats they reworked the card and claimed that the "soul of the card" is the 3 mana 2/3 statline.

Now Brode is saying the opposite where they would rather change stats because some mythical HS player who can't read doesn't seem to know that Arcane Golem doesn't have charge anymore.

When a card is reworked, people make a mistake the first time they play it, reread it, realize their mistakes and learn from it. That's how this works.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gettaway Paladin when it works:
hearthstonescreenshote2axu.png

But it mostly doesn't. Deck is really fun to play but needs fixing.

I did something similar against an Anyfin Paladin. He played his Tirion fordring when I had like 3 cards left in my deck, and I double ganged up it. So I just played another Tirion each turn until I won.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Remember Warsong Commander how instead of changing its stats they reworked the card and claimed that the "soul of the card" is the 3 mana 2/3 statline.

Now Brode is saying the opposite where they would rather change stats because some mythical HS player who can't read doesn't seem to know that Arcane Golem doesn't have charge anymore.

When a card is reworked, people make a mistake the first time they play it, reread it, realize their mistakes and learn from it. That's how this works.

Brode at least cops to this. He says something along the lines of "this is a bit of a change for me personally" so he is admitting that they are changing their approach to this. Which is probably for the better overall.

Also about STB vs Patches. I completely agree with Blizzard here. Yes obviously Patches is still a great card even if they delete STB from the game. I think that's ok. The thing that fucking sucks is that STB is there also hitting you in the face for 3 every turn for 1 mana. The card should be 2 mana or 2 atk total and 1 HP. I think nerfing it into the ground is completely fine here. Patches will still be great and the actual card dealing all the damage will go away.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think one thing that makes SMB better than Cog Master was, is that against Cogmaster you could easily just kill the other mech on the board early game, and then trade with the 1/2 Cogmaster. Where with STB, there is a limited number of options for actually removing a weapon, making it so you have to trade into a 3/2.

Also, Cogmaster was around in a Meta where Glaivezooka and Darkbomb existed, along with 2/1 Leper Gnomes and Abusive Sergeants, plus Annoy-O-Tron and Shielded Minibot. There is less early removal and early minion options in the current Meta.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The main problem with Warsong Commander was they just wanted that card to go away, but didn't want to make it seem like they were replacing it with a completely different card in every way but the art and name.

Maybe they should just more often admit that certain things need to be looked at on an individual basis. Warsong Commander would be almost the same card as a 0/1, so the stat lines mean nothing. Mana cost would mean a lot to most everything, but maybe someday there's a problem card whose main problem is how good it is getting cheated out without paying the mana cost in some way.

JesseZao

I am streaking like crazy with jade midrange shaman right now. 15-2 so far. Only to rank 9 though.

Same for me. I'm working on my last 500 and haven't hit a wall yet at rank 10. I'm running a more aggro variety though. Could probably grind up to legend with it if I started earlier in the month. It curves out really nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom