• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I think i like the trogg totem golem feral spirit package in midrange shaman more than the pirate package. It somehow feels less gross.
It feels less gross because they actually feels like cards you would play in a Shaman deck unlike the Pirate Package which has no business being in a Shaman class deck. Even Blizzard and Kibler had a problem with this.

manhack

Been messing around with Dragon Priest on my F2P asia account/

If priest gets any other early game dragon synergy cards I think it will still be quite a decent deck.

Drakonid Operative and netherspite historian combo is so insane even without BRM and LoE cards.

Prince malchezar for funsies since I would never play it on my main account.

97qO5cQ.png

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Control Shaman loses ED and Lava Shock :(
guess we start running devolve? I dunno. Gonna have so little considering we're heading into an adventurer so there's only so many cards that get printed.

I thought we already moved on to running devolve instead.

ED and Lava Shock both suck unless used together, and it's not even that great of a two card combo.

Devolve gets rid of those conceal rogue shenanigans too, which was the biggest use of ED before.

Miletius

Tonight was the first night that I was truly frustrated with the meta. Nothing but pirates, pirates pirates. 9/10 of them were pirate warriors or shaman too.

I closed HS out in disgust. Hope people are less crazy after the new month.

manhack

Tonight was the first night that I was truly frustrated with the meta. Nothing but pirates, pirates pirates. 9/10 of them were pirate warriors or shaman too.

I closed HS out in disgust. Hope people are less crazy after the new month.

Sadly I don't think this will be the case. The ladder simply promotes playing the best and the fastest decks and pirate based decks are just so good. I don't see quite that many pirates at the lower ranks (16-13). Mostly janky control decks with a few pirates mixed in.

scarlet

Jesus, just need 1 win to reach 10 and I'm stuck at 11. It's so close but yet so far.

Edit: Finally 10th! My highest rank so far. This month's goal achieved.

manhack

So I'm messing around with Yogg and Load Hunter.

Fast forward to turn 16 for the craziest post patch Yogg I've seen in awhile. I managed to clear an Azure drake, a full Cairne and 2 totems while also putting my Yogg into stealth.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/4UYXMiRPPx2KvqELCfJrvS

XKjD1YQb.png

I also managed to play 3 Call of the Wild's that game, which he cleared each time lol.

This is the aggro meta I live in.

Lyng

man every time I am one star away I get a shitty streak of losses where my opponents draw the nuts.

Man I cant wait for when they fix this awful ranking sytem.

FWA not being able to hit face would be a fair fix imo. keeps the control aspect of the card in tact and nerfs the unbeatable face draws just a little bit. turn 6 wins instead of 5

shaman hero power, after thinking about it, should work like this; first one is random, second one is random of the 3 left, 3rd is random of the 2 left, 4th is the last one, then repeat the cycle. would really help you play around things while still keeping things random, and those enraging games against aggro shaman where they highroll 80% spell damage totems would go away but it'd still be fair

shaman hero power, after thinking about it, should work like this; first one is random, second one is random of the 3 left, 3rd is random of the 2 left, 4th is the last one, then repeat the cycle. would really help you play around things while still keeping things random, and those enraging games against aggro shaman where they highroll 80% spell damage totems would go away but it'd still be fair
Uh isn't that exactly how it works? Only that after the 4th totem on the board you can't Hero Power.
That's why you clear totems to out the bad Totems back in the pool.

scarlet

I had an aggro shaman mirror match up, and dude got wrath of air totem every time! His spirit claws literally did 18 damage.

It's like 25%, but he got it every time.

Lyng

This game feels so rigged...Face nothing but smorc. Switch to reno mage and face the most stupid lucky mill rogue. Man mill decks are the absolute worst.

and after that the most lucky secret paladin I have ever met. I have never had this unlucky a streak. The randomness in this game is too much some times.
I mean every effing 50% he got, perfect topdick answers. And I played flawless around his secrets but had zero chance due to luck nothing else.

Blizzard

Banned
man every time I am one star away I get a shitty streak of losses where my opponents draw the nuts.

Man I cant wait for when they fix this awful ranking sytem.
By nut do you mean coin or just good draws?

How could they fixed the ranked system such that you always get good draws?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Polygon said:
Polygon: At BlizzCon, I was told you were looking at what you wanted to do in 2017, and you were looking at what the best idea for a release schedule would be. In 2016, you did an expansion, an adventure and then another expansion. One of the things that was brought up at BlizzCon was the idea of smaller drops of cards, like a smaller drop every month or something like that. Have you settled on the release cycle for 2017 yet?

Ben Brode: We have some cool ideas on that, but we’re not ready to share the specifics. We will be ready to share that over the next couple months. Stay tuned for some announcements in that direction.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/27/14...-nerfs-mean-streets-gadgetzan-standard-future

wiibomb

Monthly new cards is great at other card game, I hope they do that.

I think that is a neat idea too... how would they implement them in pack openings is something else, though.

Also, how many cards could they be releasing a month? 20 + 2 legendaries?

Lyng

By nut do you mean coin or just good draws?

How could they fixed the ranked system such that you always get good draws?

Separate issues.
First one is not easy to fix. Nature of card games.
Due to the grindy nature of the ladder a loss stings much more. Especially if, like me, your time to play is limited.

Either way sorry for the earlier saltmine. The last loss sent me on a complete tilt

Blizzard

Banned
Separate issues.
First one is not easy to fix. Nature of card games.
Due to the grindy nature of the ladder a loss stings much more. Especially if, like me, your time to play is limited.

Either way sorry for the earlier saltmine. The last loss sent me on a complete tilt
That was what I meant, I don't see how it can really be fixed due to the nature of card games and ranked ladders.

That is one reason I stopped playing League of Legends. I have very limited time, each game takes very long at low skill levels like mine (45-60 minutes), and it takes FOREVER to gain rank.

What is "the nut" though? Just lucky early draws?

Fixed1979

That was what I meant, I don't see how it can really be fixed due to the nature of card games and ranked ladders.

That is one reason I stopped playing League of Legends. I have very limited time, each game takes very long at low skill levels like mine (45-60 minutes), and it takes FOREVER to gain rank.

What is "the nut" though? Just lucky early draws?

Eternal uses a division system bronze, silver, gold, etc and within uses points for wins and loses, you don't feel the sting of a single loss as it's usually worth less points than a win and you'd have to loose a few in a row to actually move to a lower division. Whether you like the base game or not they've done a lot of things right that the HS could really learn from.

The nuts is a poker term, it's just the best possible (unbeatable) hand.

gutshot

Monthly or so influxes of new cards would be great. I'm already bored of Gadgetzan. Stopped buying packs a few weeks ago and I'm saving up my gold again. Up to 2.5k and I'm hoping to make it to 10k for the next expansion.

Blizzard

Banned
Eternal uses a division system bronze, silver, gold, etc and within uses points for wins and loses, you don't feel the sting of a single loss as it's usually worth less points than a win and you'd have to loose a few in a row to actually move to a lower division. Whether you like the base game or not they've done a lot of things right that the HS could really learn from.

The nuts is a poker term, it's just to the best possible (unbeatable) hand.
Thanks for the explanation.

And regarding Eternal, if a loss costs less points than a win, wouldn't that lead to mass rank inflation for everyone? (Side note, in Hearthstone if you're on a win streak, a loss costs less than a win.)

Fixed1979

Thanks for the explanation.

And regarding Eternal, if a loss costs less points than a win, wouldn't that lead to mass rank inflation for everyone? (Side note, in Hearthstone if you're on a win streak, a loss costs less than a win.)

Sorry, still kinda a poor explanation and probably not the most important part. You don't necessarily always get more points for a win, MMR is involved, so if beat someone with a high MMR it's worth more than if you beat someone with a lower MMR, same for loses, you'll loose more or less depending on the skill of the person you played.

That feeling when you get a perfect mulligan for Pirate Warrior and it turns out it's Control Warrior.

I just know next time I face actual Pirates my hand will be full of 4+ drops.

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry, still kinda a poor explanation and probably not the most important part. You don't necessarily always get more points for a win, MMR is involved, so if beat someone with a high MMR it's worth more than if you beat someone with a lower MMR, same for loses, you'll loose more or less depending on the skill of the person you played.
Oh, gotcha. That's normal in MMR ranked systems as far as I know (e.g. Overwatch, League of Legends, etc.).

In theory I'm guessing because you're always matched 1v1 with someone of your same MMR in Hearthstone, they don't think you need additional gain/loss balance. If your MMR was off such that you need compensation, you'd just get matched against someone else the system thinks is your equal.

On another note, I hit rank 14 since I figured I might as well play ranked to do a quest. I can confirm that more shamans and a pirate warrior showed up. Only one (dragon?) priest. They kept holding tons of cards, and I assume they planned something evil, but they surrendered before whatever it was happened.

Fixed1979

Oh, gotcha. That's normal in MMR ranked systems as far as I know (e.g. Overwatch, League of Legends, etc.).

In theory I'm guessing because you're always matched 1v1 with someone of your same MMR in Hearthstone, they don't think you need additional gain/loss balance. If your MMR was off such that you need compensation, you'd just get matched against someone else the system thinks is your equal.

On another note, I hit rank 14 since I figured I might as well play ranked to do a quest. I can confirm that more shamans and a pirate warrior showed up. Only one (dragon?) priest. They kept holding tons of cards, and I assume they planned something evil, but they surrendered before whatever it was happened.

I don't believe HS uses an MMR in ranked play until you reach legend, just your actual numbered rank (which I suppose can count as MMR?) One of the reason the starts of the month is hard on many players because all of the top players are thrown back into the mix. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't believe HS uses an MMR in ranked play until you reach legend, simply your actual numbered rank. One of the reason the starts of the month is hard on many players because all of the top players are thrown back into the mix. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
That's a fair point. The numbered rank is basically a public MMR without the fancy math. And because the points are fixed (2 for win streak, 1 normal), ranks will take longer to balance out than other systems.

I believe the livestream a week or two ago did mention they're considering placing low-ranked players lower at the start of a season to give them a kickstart. At least that might help the season start issues.

*edit* It might be worth noting that when I had max stars in a rank, I got matched against someone from the next lower rank. Most of the time the ranks are exactly the same. Unless there's a short timeout to expand the ranked search, it seems possible they're doing a bit of matchmaking math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom