• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
MMR is hidden and not even used until legend. Matchmaking in ranked only uses your current rank and your opponent's current rank.
How did I get matched against someone of lower rank, then? I assume it had to be because:

1. It was my promotion match with full stars
2. Even though I don't remember a long search time, maybe a search timed out
3. Some hidden matchmaking math is used

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MMR is used in Casual and Ranked Legend.

The MMR in Casual also has a hidden kiddie pool where new players are matched together until they reach a certain level of maturity in their card collection. Basically, new players should stick to Casual and Ranks 25-20 as they build their card collection if they want a fair winrate.

Blizzard has experience creating more sophisticated ladders with divisions and placements (e.g. Starcraft II and Overwatch) so it's not like the Hearthstone team is unaware of how to create a skill-based ladder. It's just that a pure skill-based ladder was not their choice for a ranking system. They wanted a progression-based system so that people would get more warm fuzzies from ranking up. That's the drawback of a skill-based ladder. People get very protective of their rank and they don't get the warm fuzzies as often.

Fixed1979

How did I get matched against someone of lower rank, then? I assume it had to be because:

Pretty sure that's standard for every rank up match without the bonus stars...and rank down as well if I'm not mistaken.

https://mmos.com/news/digital-ccg-hearthstone-earns-395m-2016-shadowverse-100m

SuperData report claims $395m earning for HS in 2016.

No wonder Blizzard is so hesitant to invest in the client, it makes no money.

That's too bad, I can see why they haven't invested more now. /s

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ranked matchups aren't based on rank it's based on number of stars. Rank 16 full stars and rank 15 no stars have equal amounts of total stars so they will get matched together just as often as other rank 16 full stars.

peakish

Anyone up for a challenge quest? Have had one hanging around for a while now, don't want to throw it away. Quote for my id, on EU.

We talk about gross profits, but I wonder how much they actually spend on hearthstone annually. It's like the game is in full time development all the time. And then there are server costs, support costs, esports organizers, prize pools, advertising...

The matchmaking system chooses an opponent in an acceptable range which broadens the longer it takes to find the opponent.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
All that money and they can't just give me a fucking starving buzzard buff.

Starving Buzzard would be pretty good now if they dropped the mana cost even by 1.

Hunter is really good at generating multiple 1/1 beasts, either through deathrattles or directly from alleycat/unleash . They even gave hunter that new weapon that does it, although that is over-costed by a mana as well.

You can have REALLY BIG draw turns with buzzard, but currently you can't pull that off until about a turn and a half too late to do any good.

manhack

Welp, after a slew of control decks the last few days I've run into the Aggro Shaman and Pirate Warrior ranks. Thankfully my experiments with control shaman are paying off.

you have clearly never played ladder if you think you can't have more than 4 totems or that you can't get 6 spell damage totems in a row
Are you messing with me? It always rolls a Totem that's not on board already created by the Hero Power.
Or do you mean it shouldn't be able to roll a Totem it already rolled until it has completed a cycle?

Are you messing with me? It always rolls a Totem that's not on board already created by the Hero Power.
Or do you mean it shouldn't be able to roll a Totem it already rolled until it has completed a cycle?

ah i meant it should have to do a cycle regardless of what's on the board. i actually have never even seen all four on the board at once somehow o_o, at least never noticed that. but you always have to clear them nowadays

ah i meant it should have to do a cycle regardless of what's on the board. i actually have never even seen all four on the board at once somehow o_o, at least never noticed that. but you always have to clear them nowadays
Yeah it rarely ever happens but when it does you remember it forever. The kind of "huh, nothing happens when I hit HP ohhhh, ahhh"

Pooya

shaman is at over 39 percent from rank 3 and above on datareaper live! lmao. Over 20 percent from rank 12.

if this year they just want to wait it out instead of nerfing blatantly OP classes, the game is screwed. Rotation won't fix anything either, their 2016 cards are just absurd.

squidyj

dumpster legend or non-legend? Either way the meta at those ranks is nothing like the meta reports that is for sure.

nonlegend.
Res Priests and Beast Druids and all sorts of stuff.

Grinding to legend, I keep saying I'll do it but in reality I rarely have the patience to do more than my quests. Doesn't help that I'm experimenting with various control shaman and control paladin decks.

manhack

nonlegend.
Res Priests and Beast Druids and all sorts of stuff.

I'm experimenting with various control shaman

Control shaman you say? Here is my recent experiment. 8-2 so far at rank 10. Reno mage can be annoying. Dirty rat always pulls my Yogg, but other than that it does well. I've played a TON of this type of shaman this month and this is my best general deck. You can make it stronger against control with a few variations, but I like how it deals with the general population of aggro/control.

esayVve.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom