• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

I think you can make a coherent argument that instead of retiring Conceal and Power Overwhelming, they should have retired Leeroy and Gadgetzan Auctioneer.

Dahbomb

Why would Shaman bother with Faceless when they have Windfury?
Because you can stack them for more damage. It's like quadrupling the damage of Leeroy essentially because you are copying the Windfury effect.

If you order it Leroy > Flametongue > Faceless, it should copy a 8/2 Leroy and get buffed to 10/2 for 18 total.
Does it actually work like that? Never really tried it myself. One of those weird Hearthstone interactions then.

I think you can make a coherent argument that instead of retiring Conceal and Power Overwhelming, they should have retired Leeroy and Gadgetzan Auctioneer.
I think all 4 of those cards should have been removed to be honest. A lot of people have said Leeroy and Gadgetan should have been removed and IMO PO should definitely have been removed too. I can see why they removed Conceal too.

Does it actually work like that? Never really tried it myself. One of those weird Hearthstone interactions then.
I'd assume that's what happens but I wouldn't know either. I don't even know how layers work in MTG and I've played that for more than a decade and Hearthstone appears much less structured like that.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I would have supported them moving Auctioneer and Leeroy. Sadly we are here so those two will stick around for another year at least.

My suspicion is that Auctioneer isn't leaving because Rogue is unable to build a properly competitive deck without it. They know if they print any good card draw for Rogue, Auctioneer will break it, and if they don't then Auctioneer becomes the only good draw option for the class which has tons of cheap spells. I get why they didn't remove it, there is nothing else to replace it with!

Oh well, I'm ok with losing to a Mircacle turn every so often. As long as Rogue can still do other stuff (the more recent Aggro rogues aren't running Auctioneer), then there is hope for the class one day.

wiibomb

all this time I haven't been having problems with auctioneer, yeah it does have an extremely powerful mechanic, but I have more problems with conceal when I just can't do anything to deal with that thing, I'm actually more happy for conceal o go.

I can deal with any druid pulling the auctioneer, but it is a pain with rogue because of conceal

Love bit of the new mechanics introduced today at least in concept.
Adapt seems like a better way to handle RNG cards and if there are strong cards printed could help make decision making matter more. Also reduces the samey-ness of net decking as the different adaptations might need to be dealt with differently each time thus feeling less like the same old card.
Quests - love the idea and I've wanted something similar for a while. That said if they're all like the priest one they may be a bit too optimistic for my taste, extreme rewards for extreme preparation often leads to an early defeat in this game. Playing a card down from turn one and weaker cards in your deck for a really late game payoff is gonna be a tough ask.

Sheroking

kabal lackey + counterspell is going to be my cornerstone for the first few weeks of the expansion when everyone is obsessed with quests >:)

So you're banking on getting a specific two card combo in your opening hand AND going first AND hoping they're stupid enough to try to play the quest with an unknown Mage secret out?

Sounds legit.

So you're banking on getting a specific two card combo in your opening hand AND going first AND hoping they're stupid enough to try to play the quest with an unknown Mage secret out?

Sounds legit.

i don't think you understand meme decking. it's not about hitting legend, it's about sending a message and conceding to non secret classes while making 1/5 people you play want to throw their phone out the window.

but in all seriousness aggressive secret based mage decks aren't going to be the worst thing in wild so teching some lakeys into an aggro secret deck isn't going to throw the deck out the window. that's why wild is better, much more possibilities since things like mad scientist will be building tempo anyway.

which you already conceded that having an unknown secret out would keep you from playing the quest. so a secret filled deck isn't going to need that 2 card combo, it's gonna need lackey and any other secret in its deck which is enough to start the mememind games

nzoth should resummon any deathrattles that died, like anyfin, not just your own. it's obvi gonna be an ever growing problem in wild and the whole 'playing against your own deck' thing gets remedied a lot by this when you're running anyfin and run into a deck that runs murlocs. makes things much more interesting. i wish they never changed that murloc board interaction. the threat of summoning 4 deathlords is about the only thing would even slightly slow that zoth train down.

like when that one guy brought vilefin inquisitor to a tournament to squash anyfin. how cool would it be to sabotage nzoths or at least be able to tech something in their to weaken them. but no let's nerf yogg instead so people can't have fun things.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You know, I was wondering if they were going to give priest another resurrection type card since Resurrect is rotating out, but with the deathrattle quest it would be too strong. I doubt they are replacing it.

Onyx Bishop is probably an auto-include in the Amara Priest deck though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That's cool, glad each class will have an opportunity to build around quests. Also wouldn't surprise if they give them out for free. Though at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't either lol.

I really doubt they are free, after they made people craft the three tri-class legendaries (Which would have been perfect to give away and promote deck building)

Dahbomb

Blizzard has now confirmed that there will be only five neutral legendaries since each class is getting two.
This is actually a good thing because the neutral Legendaries have by and large been pretty crappy in the past.

You usually get a couple of broken neutral Legendaries (Dr Boom, Emperor, Patches) and then all the rest are pretty much unplayable.

Dahbomb

Just watched the whole Lightforge 3 hours analysis:

TL;DR version for the upcoming 2 month meta:

*Individual Rares as common as individual Commons (so Shadowflame is now as common as a Shadowbolt), Epics are the new Rares in terms of occurrence because you see them literally 10x more often now. If you played around common class cards before then you are playing around rare class cards now especially spells.

*Half the amount of 2 drops, players can expect to miss their 2 drops. 2/3 are pretty bad now, 3/2s are better.

*That's because 3 drops are more relevant now and mathematically 4/3s are more common. 2/3 2 drops are almost never good now. Your curve generally starts at 3 drops now in Arena (in classic that used to be as late as 4 drop because you had fewer 3 drops back in the day and they were of low quality so this is definitely moving it back to OG Arena style of play).

*5/4 4 drops are obviously less good now, 4/5 are the business. However, Yeti and similar common neutral CLASSIC cards are far less common now so you are going to be seeing less Yetis than Mind Control Tech (a Rare Classic card). 3/5s are better too because 4/5s are very rare now in general. Violet Teacher in particular is really good now because of more spells, favorable meta because of 4/3s and more common because of Rarity.

*"Threat and response" meta, less "curvestone". Mage, Priest and Warlock benefit a lot (which I mentioned previously in my personal analysis too) because they have the most board clears on those additional rare/epic slots.

*Druid, Warrior and Paladin affected most negatively by these changes because they lack the board clears that the other classes do. Rogue too but their hero power is exceptionally good now because of a lack of 2 drops.

*Mage and Warlock have 5/6 hard removals now. They expect Mage and Warlock to be the kings of Arena like they are now only the gap is increased even more. Since there are less 2 drops that means more bigger drops and larger decks so there is more need for hard removals. This hurts classes like Druid, Hunter, Warrior and Shaman which lack hard removal in those slots.

*Druid and Warrior are easy bottom 2 classes right now AND they will get even worse in the upcoming meta with these changes. So yeah... these changes actually are making the relatively balanced meta of MSG more polarized and imbalanced.

*Taunts less effective due to more hard removals, hurts Druid and Warrior again.

*Deathrattles, Divine Shields and card draw cards are better now. Split stat minions will be better too. Jade classes are better too in general.

Specific Class Analysis:

Mage: Losing half of a Flamestrike, Flamecannon and Duplicate. Gained Babbling Book, Fallen Hero, Blizzard, Pyroblast, Forbidden Flame,

Can actually curve out with 2 drop minions, board clears, early removal, late game removal... they are still top 2. They can actually play more aggressively now.

Warlock: Losing half of Abyssal Enforcer, Dark Bomb, Floating Watcher, Implosion, Mistress of Pain, Void Caller. Gaining Shadowflame, Demonwrath, Twisting Nether, Siphon Soul, Doom, Felfire Potion, Bane of Doom, Doomguard, Kabal Trafficker, Tiny Knight Evil, Darkshire Librarian.

Warlock is losing a lot but they are gaining a lot too. Big AOE removals for days and can still curve out.

Priest: Losing Lightbomb, Shrinkmeister, Dark Cultist, Velen's Chosen, Shadowboxer. Gaining Dragonfire Potion, Shadow Madness, Mana Geode, Auchenai Soulpriest, Onyx Bishop, DrakOP, Cabal Shadowpriest. Forbidden Shaping,

Losing the early game curve big time. Still gains a lot in spells and utility.

Rogue: Losing Sabotage and Ogre Ninja. Gaining Dark Iron Skulker, Undercity Huckster, Perdition Blade, SI7 agent.

More Jades, lack of 2 drops is better for them, advantageous hero power, a lot of good cards are gained for them.... Good class is still very good.

Hunter: Losing Glaivezooka. Gaining Highmane, Eaglehorn, Dispatch Kodo, Explosive Shot (which means positioning matters a lot now against Hunters), Infested Wolf, CALL OF THE WILD, Rat Pack, Gladiator Longbow, Powershot,

More weapons in general now for Hunter which is good for them. Good 2 drop options for Hunter as well compared to other classes. Going to be OK in the meta because they are gaining more good cards than they are losing.

Shaman: Losing Zapomatic and Power Mace. Gaining Maelstrom Portal, Lightning Storm, Jade Claws, Jade Chieftain, Jade Lightning, Master of Evolution, Feral Spirits, Elemental Destruction, Hammer of Twilight, Earth Elemental.

More Jade stuff in genera for Shaman which is good because Jade can be broken in Arena. Going to struggle curving out but better AOE and weapon options. Definitely buffed from before.

Druid: Losing Robocub, Recycle and Bearcat. Gaining Savage Combatant, Darnassus Aspirant, Ancient of War, Mulch, Starfall.

Better Jade stuff, better beast synergy, actually curving out on 2 and is getting some extra stuff but they are still in a bad spot in the meta compared to the other classes.

Paladin: Loses Minibot, Muster for Battle, Coghammer, Avenge. Gaining Aldor Peacekeeper, Equality, Grimstreet Protector, Rallying Blade, Argent Lance, Grimestreet Enforcer.

No 2 drops left, RIP curve. Loses big time in the meta due to the board clears. Among the biggest drop in the game, very big fall but hand buff mechanic is better for them. But still not at the bottom.

Warrior: Losing Death's Bite, Crush. Gaining Gorehowl, Frothing Berserker, Brawl, Revenge, King's Defender, Sparring Partner, Alex Champion.

Not actually a class in Arena for the next 2 months because the meta is not favorable for them (still the worst hero power). Hello darkness my old friend...

Their overall class ranking:

Rogue on top with Mage and Warlock within the same tier.

Big gap to the next set of classes.

Hunter and Shaman next tier.

Priest Paladin Druid in the lower middle.

Warrior at the bottom.

Dahbomb

While there is a lot of good stuff in that analysis I feel that there are certain things that they overlooked or had the analysis clouded by some bias.

They didn't really talk about the MSG Rare cards especially spells that are BAD and will be affecting the meta. They also forgot to talk about Volcanic Potion in detail because I feel that one puts Mage squarely in the top 2.

I also do not at all agree that Hex is a less skillful card than Yeti. This is where ADWCTA who is generally a very logical and objective person is having his inner tempo player coming out and dictating the analysis. It is not as simple as "they play big minion and I Hex". Any good player first tests against the Hex by reading the hand and plays their second largest minions for the bait. If you take the bait then you lose to their actual big minion. Just because they present a big threat doesn't mean you have to Hex, you can save it against a bigger threat.

MCT is also a very skillful card that he was hating on and that was shown in the stats a long time ago. Worse players simply have a worse win rate with MCT than good players, that has been shown in stats throughout HS history. It's because bad players will try to save it for 4 minions and not play it for tempo when they should. MCT also makes it so that you have something to play around and punishes over extending. I can appreciate the salt from MCT because of the RNG but the card is a far bigger skill tester than Yeti.

And that's the fundamental reasoning for why he is particularly against the upcoming changes because it punishes his style of play. He thinks vanilla statted minions are more skillful than removals/cards with effects. Blizzard and most of the community thinks the opposite. He is right in that having these vanilla creates a more balanced environment where everyone is curving and there isn't a big diversity in tools among pools (ie. one person has poor removals and the other has godly removals) so player skill matters more... but that just goes back to first player vs second player issue again.

And that was something that was completely absent from the review. There was 0 mention about how this meta impacts going first versus second. I guess they were assuming that it helps that situation because that's the logical assumption but after their whole rant on 3/2s trading up to 4/3s creating a GvG meta (but shifted 1 turn up) makes me think they aren't as sure about it.

I also feel that having a blanket multiplier on spells is a bad idea and creates bigger disparity in classes... but the whole reasoning for toning down the curve cards is to mainly help the 1st vs going 2nd situation, not just buckling to community pressure for hating on curvestone.

Finally, while it's true that Blizzard adjusted Flamestrike and Enforcer due to backlash.. I feel that's not giving them proper credit. I feel that these two changes were specifically made so that Mages and Warlock would not be so dominant in the new meta, which is supported by their analysis because both of these classes are still in top 3 for ADCTA/MERPS. Imagine if Blizzard pushed the patch with more Flamestrikes in the game, Mage would be even better. Yeah... they probably should have nerfed Shadowflame too (and Lightning Storm because that cad is lame) but on that note I think they vastly overrate the inability to play around Shadowflame. The card is definitely able to be played around, people have done it since the dawn of the game in constructed. Aggro decks used to kill Ancient Watchers specificallyto play around Shadowflame. In Arena you can math out Shadowflame's potential damage based on the Warlock's board state, their cards and mana cost. You are not going to get blown out for 6 damage on turn 4 like they think happens with it. Shadowflame is only tricky in Arena when combined with buff but then you are playing around 3 cards instead of two.

So yeah I don't the meta is going to be a crapfest that they think it will be and it will state till be skill testing but at the same time I think it will be worse than MSG because the class imbalance will be wider.

wiibomb

Blizzard has now confirmed that there will be only five neutral legendaries since each class is getting two.

Well that makes more sense, it is still 3 legendaries above average, but if it helps build a better class identity, i wouldn't be mad. Hopefully they are good enough

You are assuming water elemental will be an elemental.

I mean... Do you doubt the water elemental will be an elemental??

Dahbomb

Do you guys think a 3 mana, 5/1 Adapting Rager, that has "Battle Cry: Adapt" would be to strong?
If one of the options is Charge then yeah its going to be busted. Have to see all the options though. 5/1 is pretty above curve with Divine Shield, straight up power creep over Scarlet Crusader.

I think it would have to be 4/1 and a class card assuming there's no charge variation.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I am very happy to find out you can't get Quest cards off shit like Babbling Book. For cards that have the potential to be seriously broken, it's good to keep reasonable restrictions on it.

That said I wonder if something like Mind Vision will be able to get it. It is a random effect, but it specifically calls out the person's hand as opposed to discovering or getting something completely random. Mind Vision still won't be a good card, but the idea is funny if that was the ONLY way to get the quests in other classes.

scarlet

I am very happy to find out you can't get Quest cards off shit like Babbling Book. For cards that have the potential to be seriously broken, it's good to keep reasonable restrictions on it.

That said I wonder if something like Mind Vision will be able to get it. It is a random effect, but it specifically calls out the person's hand as opposed to discovering or getting something completely random. Mind Vision still won't be a good card, but the idea is funny if that was the ONLY way to get the quests in other classes.

Even if you can steal it, it won't be very effective. Like you can steal the quest from mage. But you can't do it cuz you don't have the requirements to do the quest.

Dart

Even if you can steal it, it won't be very effective. Like you can steal the quest from mage. But you can't do it cuz you don't have the requirements to do the quest.

Yeah, if the other class quests are anything like Priest's it would be to difficult to pull off a quest designed for a specific archetype anyway.

@notrob @LegendaryFerret @PlayHearthstone quests are spells, but due to its nature, we don't allow them to be discovered/randomly generated.

The wording makes it seem like mind vision and thoughtsteal could still steal quests though...

Dahbomb

Mage Quest is probably Spell damage minion related.

Mostly because they said in the Azure Drake/Ice Lance section that they are going to be having more Spell damage cards in the future. Makes sense then that they took out those cards because then it would be pretty easy to get the spell damage requirement with two auto include Azure Drakes, a Thalnos and Cult Sorcerer which you were playing anyway in a Tempo Mage deck.

If I had to guess the other classes:

Hunter: Play Beasts or Secrets depending on if Druid gets Beasts or not.
Warrior: Play Taunts. Weapons and Pirates are an option too if the weapon threshold is lowered to like 5.
Druid: Play Jades or Beasts depending on what Hunter gets.
Warlock: Play Demons but I still doubt it because it's pretty easy to get the quest requirement at 7 with a bunch of cheap demons.
Paladin: Might be buff or Divine Shield related.
Shaman: Play Elementals or Overloads. Could even be Murlocs but that would be too easy to get at 7 especially with Call in the Finishers.
Rogue: Play Combo or Stealths. Maybe even play cards from another class.
Mage: Play Spell Damage

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I hope the different quests are more clever than all being just play 7 of x kind of card.

Could be kill x minions, get your opponent down to x health, have x amount of minions on board etc. Stuff your opponent can play around.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The blog says quests start in your opening hand. Does that take place of another card? Or just warp from your deck to your hand? If it is the latter, can you draw it in mulligan?
It's one of your initial cards that can be mulliganed i believe.

You can't draw a card before the game starts that you mulliganed away.

Mulgrok

Forgot how good handbuff dragon paladin can be in this meta. Except that 1:100000000 game where I don't draw a dragon until turn 22... fml

edit: the odds were actually worse for that to happen. that is how astronomically bad my luck was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom