• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem with it's yet more randomness, you or your opponent gets a choice of 3 from 10. It's why so many people keep Brann for Kazakus 'cos with 2 chances you might get something you want. Reno mirror's are usually decided by who gets offered the better potion.
You Brann Kazakus because Kazakus power is 99% in his Battlecry. Kazakus would be played w/o Brann just the same and Reno mirrors are hardly ever decided by Kazakus options.
Dirty Rat rng, card order rng wrt where in your deck emperor or leroy are those decide Ren Mirrors.

fertygo

My problem with it's yet more randomness, you or your opponent gets a choice of 3 from 10. It's why so many people keep Brann for Kazakus 'cos with 2 chances you might get something you want. Reno mirror's are usually decided by who gets offered the better potion.

Drak OP, Kabal Courier, Babbling Book, Kabalist's Tome, Peddler, Netherspite Historian - people are winning matches with cards that are not in their decks that can't be played around, and it depresses me when it happens. And adding another "wow, didn't see that coming..." mechanic isn't filling me with much confidence which is why I might hold off from pre-ordering and just see how it all shakes out. I miss out on card pack value but I think it could be worth the risk.

I'm pretty sure people combo Kazakus with Brann because its just good tho lol

and your second paragraph has nothing to do with Adapt, you can predict what Adapt does.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Don't know how good is gentle dinosaur, by how the metas normally go, you never have that many murlocs to make the buff worthy, doesn't look like something that you can build a deck around

Finja alone takes care of that problem. So it's a two card combo that could make the board extremely annoying to deal with.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
hjSEu6d.jpg

Dirty Rat rng, card order rng...

Those things I can accept the RNG on, every card game can screw you with draw and Dirty Rat can be better or worse depending on when you play it, so there's some skill involved with it.

and your second paragraph has nothing to do with Adapt, you can predict what Adapt does.

Really? I'm not sure about the maths but I'd have thought you get a 1 in 3(ish) chance of getting a specific buff.

Even if Adapt isn't a fruity mechanic that dominates the expansion, I'm still thinking about hanging off until the meta settles down post launch. No one saw Pirates dominating, no one saw Pally and Hunter dying on their collective arses... something will come out of left field and surprise everyone, I just hope it's fun and not the "bad" surprises we got post MSoG launch.

Those things I can accept the RNG on, every card game can screw you with draw and Dirty Rat can be better or worse depending on when you play it, so there's some skill involved with it.
The same can be said about discover, there is skill involved with it since you're making a choice.
Really? I'm not sure about the maths but I'd have thought you get a 1 in 3(ish) chance of getting a specific buff.
That only matters when the buffs are very unbalanced and 1 specific buff is the clear winner.

ZealousD

Even if Adapt isn't a fruity mechanic that dominates the expansion, I'm still thinking about hanging off until the meta settles down post launch. No one saw Pirates dominating, no one saw Pally and Hunter dying on their collective arses... something will come out of left field and surprise everyone, I just hope it's fun and not the "bad" surprises we got post MSoG launch.

Just look for whatever the best early game in the expansion is. Assume that will dominate the meta.

Sheroking

Either if Adapt isn't a fruity mechanic that dominates the expansion, I'm still thinkin about hanging off until the meta settles down post launch. No one saw Pirates dominating, no one saw Pally and Hunter dying on their collective arses... something will come out of left field and surprise everyone, I just hope it's fun and not the "bad" surprised we got post MSoG launch.

Discover in general is not bad RNG. You know what your opponent may choose based on need and can play around things. It's not like babbling book or cabalists tome where they can highroll literally anything and blow you out with something you can't play around.

Hycran

Banned
Hit rank 5 today after killing two pirate warriors and a mid range shaman with Jade Druid. While killing pirates is always satisfying, watching the shaman concede was especially delicious. He devolved my board but gave me the 3/3 priest card that discounts drawn cards. Drew my auctioneer next turn and had a shit load of spells in hand. Even on 7 mana I popped three cards off before he slammed the quit button.

Jade Druid still puts in that work, especially with my teched in savage roar. I've hit rank 5 last few seasons without playing that much. I'll finally get golden Druid next season as well SeemsGood.

Portugeezer

+3 hp is generally better than Divine Shield. The average powerlevel of divine shield falls between +2 hp and +3 hp most of the time. Think about how Scarlet Crusader and Shielded Minibot and how those cards usually trade and you'll see what I mean.

This only changes when Divine Shield stacks with a mechanic like Charge where your opponent has fewer opportunities to trade with the Divine Shield in the way they want.
Exactly, but the strength of the card is in its versatility. I would divine shield going into a flamestrike turn.

ZealousD

Exactly, but the strength of the card is in its versatility. I would divine shield going into a flamestrike turn.

Yeah of course. Like I said, it's an average. Going into Turn 7 with the expectation of a Flamestrike you might pick Divine Shield but going into Turn 9 you would probably rather pick +3 hp. The point I was making is that Divine Shield isn't always better than +3 hp, and I would say on average it isn't.

V-Faction

Can I just say, it's nice to see them add the Elemental tribe tag.

If I could gander a guess, Shamans(duh) and Mages will get the elemental synergy, Druids and Hunters will get more dino synergy, and Rogues will find themselves with the poisons from the poisonous plants.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think just the fact that it is +3 HP instead of +2 like most of us expected means that at least some of these adapt cards will be playable. Not sure which ones, but a 5/7 for 5 is pretty good stats IMO. A 5/4 Divine Shield isn't bad either and if it's neither of those and it gets windfury or ends up as a Salty Dog, oh well. 5/7 for 5 is pretty hardy and tough to remove. Mages can't fireball it (5 mana, means they need to coin out a hero power), other druids can't swipe it, it needs either Hard removal (Hex/Poly/etc) or something minion only targeted like Flame Lance or Forbidden Flame. That's a quality minion.

However when that quality minion is only quality 3/10ths of the time I dunno what to think. I will need to see how all the druid stuff plays out this expansion. I hope to god if they keep pushing this Beast stuff that they actually make some good cards for it.

I can see why people are seeing the positives in the "adapt" mechanic, and I do hope it benefits the game, it's just after the last couple of months I'm seeing the game from a glass half empty perspective. "If it can be fucked up, then they will fuck it up" basically.

For example... seeing a card like Finley (who lets Pirate Warrior get Hunter hero power meaning you're dead on turn 5) rotate out is great because that card enabled classes to do something they're not supposed to be doing (Aggro Shaman deck running out of steam? not with Life Tap). Spirit Claws was a busted Karazhan card that enabled the strongest class to get stronger, and they're nerfing it now, 6 months later. Other cheap weapons are a problem like Jade Claws (why take one overpowered Shaman weapon into the shower when you can have two!) and Fiery War Axe.

I don't trust Blizzard not to repeat their mistakes and just put more dumb cards in. Relying on the next bunch of cards to fix the problems with the last bunch is getting wearing and expensive. My missus offered to get me the pre-order packs for Un'goro as a gift, but I don't want to take her money for something that's as little fun as it is now. Card reveals over the upcoming weeks should help a bit, though.

Dahbomb

I guess this was posted on a Taiwan Hearthstone site? Not sure if it's legit or not.
Disgusting power creep over Lost Tallstrider LOL!

This card is actually kinda nuts for Murloc decks.

Like +3 attack from adapt is basically a Bloodlust with a body. +3 HP puts your Murlocs out of range of board clears as does Divine Shields. Windfury can also be used as a finisher. Stealth is like conceal. +1/+1 is a board wide power of the Wild with a body attached.

ZealousD

Disgusting power creep over Lost Tallstrider LOL!

This card is actually kinda nuts for Murloc decks.

Yeah I know, right? Seems good in both aggro lists and curator/finja lists since it is also a beast.

Gut feeling is that it makes "having fun" in Hearthstone more expensive. In general not a fan of one of the new mechanics being a legendary only thing.

There's only 5 neutral legendaries though, so the total amount of legendary cards is about the same (3 extra compared to MSoG).

Blizzard

Banned
I don't understand why discover of all things is ignored when it comes to RNG complaints.
I didn't ignore it and I'm pretty sure complained about it in the past, but I think most people accept it because it feels "less" RNG. I hate it most with Netherspite Historian.

I'm not happy about the adapt RNG or shaman RNG totems or shaman RNG damage either.

I don't understand why discover of all things is ignored when it comes to RNG complaints.

Because people mostly complain about RNG from a place of frustration rather than having any actual idea at all about the game design purpose, but a lot of them understand implicitly from playing that Discover is the best mechanic in Hearthstone so it doesn't get lumped in with the stuff that's causing rage.

(Luckily we have ample evidence the people at Blizzard will never, ever listen to people who do complain about Discover.)

This "Adapt" mechanic just show's that they're doubling down on the RNG side of Hearthstone, which is the worst part of the game.

The worst part of Hearthstone is straightforward, curve-appropriate minions that let you build decks that play out every game exactly the same way -- i.e. literally everything that goes in the dumb pirate warrior deck. Hearthstone's designers didn't have a good idea how to use RNG at first (the shaman "deal X-Y damage" stuff is dumb garbage for example) but they've pretty quickly zeroed in on how RNG mechanics that include player choice or interact with an existing source of RNG (like how Jousting uses the deck) make individual games play out differently while still making player skill central to success.

Drak OP, Kabal Courier, Babbling Book, Kabalist's Tome, Peddler, Netherspite Historian - people are winning matches with cards that are not in their decks that can't be played around, and it depresses me when it happens.

Netherspite only gets dragons, which are mostly cards that might already be in the deck anyway and make up a limited subset that you can absolutely play around -- the only big surprises you can really walk into are Alextrasza and Deathwing. DrakOp gives your oppoent something out of your own deck, it should literally be the easiest thing to potentially play around.

I hate it most with Netherspite Historian.

What is someone getting off Netherspite that's tilting you out that you're absolutely certain they weren't running otherwise?

V-Faction

Adapt's adaptability will shine more in the wider-reaching effects rather than the self-buffs. AKA the leaked Murloc Dinosaur vs. Verdant Longneck. Because at the end of the day, choosing between Useless Buff #1, #2, or #3 means diddly-squat, but combos open up the floodgates.

Which is how a new mechanic should be. It can't be overpowered, but make it too terrible and no one will play your cards (which is the Jade vs. Grimestreet problem).

As for quests, I'd like to see all the CONDITIONS and REWARDS first before acknowledging whether they be gamechangers or not.

Blizzard

Banned
What is someone getting off Netherspite that's tilting you out that you're absolutely certain they weren't running otherwise?
I don't like the ability to draw strong dragons, particularly 4 Drakonid Operatives in a deck, for Priest. I don't like Priest or Dragon players in general, so it's the perfect storm! :p

And if they play Netherspite Historian and don't draw Drakonid Operative, then I don't feel I played around them. I just feel, "Guess I was blessed by the dice today." And maybe instead of that, they draw the Dream legendary (is that possible?) who brings another layer of RNG instead of the RNG that Drakonid Operatives brings.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not arguing that Discover or Hearthstone is statistically unbalanced, and I understand on a theoretical level that certain abstract percentages may be within acceptable statistical margins in the long run. I am merely commenting on certain mechanics I do not personally enjoy, for some value of personal enjoyment.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Won

There's only 5 neutral legendaries though, so the total amount of legendary cards is about the same (3 extra compared to MSoG).

I know. That's part of the problem. I personally prefer neutral legendaries, because i can play around and experiment more with them. I don't think I have ever crafted a class legendary. I could never justify that for me.

Lumine

No need for that. I agree very much that Discover is an overpowered mechanic. It's usually better than just a plain draw and often costs less. It lets you find immediate answers while it also gives you the opportunity to draw cards you'd otherwise be unable to put in your deck. Of course sometimes you get terrible choices. It's Blizzard's way of balancing overpowered cards/mechanics. Add another layer of RNG on top. Of course the game has much worse offenders when it comes to RNG so it usually gets some slack I suppose.

wiibomb

I just wonder what you need to have in HS to not say something is "too RNG based" or "too OP"

The game is RNG based, this is nothing new

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
you can now also preorder the expansion

Lumine

I just wonder what you need to have in HS to not say something is "too RNG based" or "too OP"

The game is RNG based, this is nothing new

Yeah and plenty of players complained way back in vanilla it was already too much. There's a layer of randomness to any card game due to the drafting which is fine. However Blizzard decided to go overboard by adding more and more layers. It's the current way to balance cards and to keep the game "fun." I don't think it works all that well though.

bjaelke

This update begins preparations for the Year of the Mammoth celebration that kicks off at the end of March.
Pre-purchase for Journey to Un’Goro, Hearthstone’s latest expansion, is now available! You can pre-purchase 50 card packs and get the Fossil card back for $49.99 USD.

Ranked Play
Upon achieving certain milestones in Ranked Play, it will no longer be possible to lose ranks beyond those milestones for that season. The milestones are Rank 20, 15, 10, 5, and Legend.

Arena
Creating decks for the Arena will now feature Standard cards only. Arena runs that were started prior to the patch will still include Wild cards.
Rares, Epics, and Legendaries will be offered more frequently during Arena deckbuilding.
Spells will now show up with a higher frequency.
Neutral Basic / Classic cards will appear less often.
If you own a Golden version of a card, the first copy you draft will be Golden. If you own multiple Golden copies of a card, all copies you draft will be Golden.

Balance Updates
Small-time Buccaneer’s health reduced from 2 to 1.
The mana cost of Spirit Claws increased from 1 to 2.

General
Added some memory optimizations.
Improved matchmaking for new players.
We are testing an update to the account creation process for mobile players. This will minimize the overhead associated with creating a new Battle.net account, and will be available in limited release.
Maximum in-game music volume has been capped in order to retain the best audio quality.
[Android] We made some optimizations to Android distribution, allowing for a smaller install size and smoother patching in the future.

Bug Fixes
Resolved inconsistencies in the way that Small Time Buccaneer’s Attack interacts with effects such as those generated by Humility, Keeper of Uldaman, and Crazed Alchemist.
Resolved an issue where a Kazakus potion spell cards could appear blank when copied by a minion or spell effect.
Knuckles will now correctly use its effect when under the effects of Misdirection.
Addressed an issue with the interaction of Wrath’s card draw timing in conjunction with Daring Reporter.
Snipe will now correctly trigger after Potion of Polymorph.
Djinni of Zephyrs will now correctly copy spells buffed by spell damage.
Bouncing Blade will now correctly continue bouncing after clearing a Divine Shield.
Resolved an issue where seasonal reward cards could take a while to show up in the Collection Manager.
Searching the Collection Manager with a class name will now correctly display Tri-Class cards.
Resolved issues that could slow or stop payment authentication when using the in-game Shop.
Fixed many minor visual issues and some card text inconsistencies.
Patch notes

Yoshichan

ooooh cap ranked ceilings live as well! Cool!

Yoshichan

I just mortal coiled a small time buccaneer, and it felt so, SO fucking good.

My opponent greeted me. GG.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, I thought they were doing that partial rotation before the next expansion, guess not.

Dusting my pile of buccaneers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom