• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewr

Guys, I just started playiing this about a month ago and only do quests during weekends. I've been spending my gold on standard packs and bought the welcome bundle. I've also preordered the new bundle.

Should I keep buying standard packs?
How hard is it to get to rank 20? (my goal is to have a complete collection of cards, and just get to 20 for the card back)
Is there a standard deck I should aspire to first to then modify? (I feel most comfortable with shaman, warlock and priest).

Thanks.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Guys, I just started playiing this about a month ago and only do quests during weekends. I've been spending my gold on standard packs and bought the welcome bundle. I've also preordered the new bundle.

How hard is it to get to rank 20? (my goal is to have a complete collection of cards, and just get to 20 for the card back)
Is there a standard deck I should aspire to first to then modify? (I feel most comfortable with shaman, warlock and priest).

Thanks.

Rank 15 is very reasonable with a fairly large variety of budget decks. Rank 20 is inevitable because you don't lose stars below 20.

Keep buying classic card packs.

Aggro decks will always be cheaper than control decks. Working towards a zoo warlock deck and a midrange Jade shaman deck would be pretty cheap and help you get to rank 20 very easily and rank 15 with a bit of practice.

Pooya

Thanks.

They've been pushing hard to make the game revolve around newer sets rather than classic set, so newer cards are going to be what you want in general. Still you need to have bulk of the classic common/rare cards and some epic and class legendary cards in particular. More stronger legendary cards like Sylvanas and Ragnaros are being phased out next month and can't be opened from classic packs. In case you have arcane dust and don't have them, you can craft them for effectively free right now as you get your dust back next month. I wouldn't buy classic packs, you get one each week if you play tavern brawl for free and their value has diminished quite a lot. It was a different story like a year ago. Newer decks are going to have many more cards from new sets, it varies with different classes but that's their goal and they will be getting there eventually. In newer sets, they've been pushing decks that more or less are built by last 2 sets with higher power level cards. Welcome Bundle is great value and you bought it already, I think you should stop there with classic packs and slowly get the cards from tavern brawls or craft the more rare ones you don't have and save your gold/money for new sets.

With that said the goal of collecting all cards is just impossible, I'm telling you right here. Collecting every classic card or maybe card in new sets is more reasonable. You can't buy old sets anymore, you can never get those cards. Good news is that no one needs to have every card. Your preorder will net you every common and rare card in the set along with handful of epics and 2-3 legendary. What will remain for constructed play are maybe 3-5 legendary and about same number of epics which you're better off crafting.

Might want to do your quests 2 times a week, since you lose 4 quests each week right now, you can login every day too and swap any quest you can't see your self doing, some quests are a lot better than the others for gold/time.

If you do your quests, you will get to rank 20, you can't lose stars so you can only go up and get there after winning like 15 games at most? yeah. It's nothing. With win streaks it can take half of that.

Shaman decks or zoo warlock are cheap, you can sub the cards you don't have with something else and get rank 20 easily. It's not a problem.

You should save your resources right now and wait for next standard year which start in April. That's a much better time to spend things on when we know what's relevant. You don't want to spend anything on TGT/LoE/BRM right now, all of those go out of standard in 3 weeks.

Yeah, I can't imagine how much it would cost to get enough dust to craft all of Naxx and GvG now. After the rotation it's just going to be insane. I hope they open a seasonal Wild shop with half price packs, or something like that.

If someone was just getting into the game right now, I would tell them to get the Welcome bundle first, then buy Karazhan, and then MAYBE preorder Un'goro if they are having fun after that

Mulgrok

0-8 so far today at rank 19 because opponents constantly generate/discover random spells/minions turn after turn that perfect for the situation. I miss the days of gvg randomness where I could at least play around the rng.

So yeah, just faced my first Water Rogue. Shit is crazy broken.

Remember when people said Rogue would be the new Priest and that Blizzard was completely incompetent?

Lyng

So yeah, just faced my first Water Rogue. Shit is crazy broken.

Remember when people said Rogue would be the new Priest and that Blizzard was completely incompetent?

Blizz have actually done everything they can to fling rogue to the dumpster, but Rogue allways finds a way!

TankUP

I have the week off from work and decided I'd make a run at legend... well, after a day one climb from 19 - 13, I've spent three days straight bouncing between 13 and 15 and wishing I hadn't bothered. Yesterday I ended my 8 hour session down one star, and today I lost 5 stars after playing a similar amount of time. I tell you what, playing 8 hours and not hitting the gold cap? Feels really bad.

Most of my friend's list is already between 8 and 5 and here I am, playing more in three days than most people play in a month, and I'm at rank 15.

I guess it'll never happen for me, which sucks.

squidyj

I have the week off from work and decided I'd make a run at legend... well, after a day one climb from 19 - 13, I've spent three days straight bouncing between 13 and 15 and wishing I hadn't bothered. Yesterday I ended my 8 hour session down one star, and today I lost 5 stars after playing a similar amount of time. I tell you what, playing 8 hours and not hitting the gold cap? Feels really bad.

Most of my friend's list is already between 8 and 5 and here I am, playing more in three days than most people play in a month, and I'm at rank 15.

I guess it'll never happen for me, which sucks.

what decks are you playing?

manhack

Jade druid, aggro rogue, pirate warrior and mid-jade shaman.

Not sure if I'm telling you what you already know, but in my experience, having been Legend before:

You may be better off sticking to one deck even if you take a bunch of losses in a row. I made it to rank 8 with Malygos Rogue today, but it is one of my all time most played deck archetypes. My point is you can climb with just about anything, but it needs to be something you know backwards and forwards.

Use this site: http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/data-reaper-live-beta/

Pirate Warrior, Dragon Priest, mid-Jade Shaman, Water Rogue are all running at 50%+ winrates. Pick one of these to climb.

Other than that the only good advice is to keep hitting play, think through every play as much as you can and don't get discouraged. It is absolutely a grind, but you will hit just as many win streaks as losing streaks. Plus with the floors in place it should be easier than ever to get Rank 5. Also, once you hit Rank 5 that is typically considered the halfway mark.

manhack

Sometimes you have to teach face warrior how to go face with your maly rogue deck.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/qjtuYkiFYqBNcSXLiuoGyg

1 damage off lethal before turn 5.

Wonder if I should trade?

1cBeGI3.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Miracle Rogue seems really good to me right now. I'm basically just using the same list as pre-nerf, just swapped STB for Buccaneer. It's barely any worse. Gotta enjoy this while I can before Conceal rotates out.

fertygo

can't wait to see miracle to fucking die

yeah its fun game to see +15/15 edwin coupled with Questing that keep growing

Fuck Rogue

Blizzard

Banned
As far as I understand, there won't be adventure levels to buy like the previous expansions. Is it still smart to save a bunch of gold to buy normal packs if I've already preordered the 50-pack thing for next expansion?

I might still use gold to do the occasional arena run, though.

scarlet

yeah its fun game to see +15/15 edwin coupled with Questing that keep growing

Fuck Rogue

I played miracle cuz of you. Why you hating.

But for me conceal is the key. Without it I'm to timid to play my questing.

So I was feeling memey and I made a wild finja dragon priest with velens chosens and drakonoid crushers (had to make it body heavy and aggressive) with the curator. It went pretty damn well. Smacking velens chosen on finja feels so good lol and with the dragon package teched aggressively I got plenty of friend requests

He extends games unnecessarily in really frustrating ways in an attempt to make things more entertaining. It doesn't work for me at all.

Whenever I've watched him he only seems to do that if he's playing a Yogg deck, as a YOLO Yogg lethal/suicide breaks up the Jade/Reno/Pirate monotony.

Fewr

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't focus on having one of every card, I now see it's better to focus on the newer stuff instead.

I've got my dino pack preordered. Do you recommend I sink some more cash into gadgetzan to get a good collection going? I don't have much time to play during the week (hopefully I will later this year) so I don't mind spending some money on packs to get to be fairly competent.

I think I'll be content as long as I get to 20, maybe 15 as was mentioned. I only started ranked mode this past sunday and I'm about to unlock taven brawl soon.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Was hand paladin ever a thing? Because I just played against a hand paladin. Mountain giants, molten giants, sunfury protectors, Argus etc. Weird.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Was hand paladin ever a thing? Because I just played against a hand paladin. Mountain giants, molten giants, sunfury protectors, Argus etc. Weird.

It's a meme deck. It exists for surprise lethal with Holy Wrath.

wiibomb

oh no.... I got the Mulocalypse quest... how the hell am I going to play 75 murlocs...

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't focus on having one of every card, I now see it's better to focus on the newer stuff instead.

I've got my dino pack preordered. Do you recommend I sink some more cash into gadgetzan to get a good collection going? I don't have much time to play during the week (hopefully I will later this year) so I don't mind spending some money on packs to get to be fairly competent.

I think I'll be content as long as I get to 20, maybe 15 as was mentioned. I only started ranked mode this past sunday and I'm about to unlock taven brawl soon.

it really depends on how much are you planning to play the game and how much are you able to throw into it.

For example, take in account that you need about 125 packs from MSG to get all common and rares in that expansion and about 350 packs to get all cards, that gives you an idea about how much you would get for your money.

I for one, don't usually spend money on packs, but rather on adventures (now they are out, so there's that), and instead focus on getting gold to get me more packs from them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dragonfire Potion is going to be pretty insane once Azure Drake is gone isn't it
We already know Priest is being funneled into deathrattle decks and not dragon decks. Dragon decks are also losing tons of stuff with Azure Drake + BRM rotating out, and while Hearthstone takes creative license with stuff it would actually be super weird for them to push dragon coded cards associated with Un'goro Crater.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Question: When trying a deck how many matches do you folks play before adding or removing cards?

TankUP

what's the worst art in the game of hearthstone? Southsea captain looks like it was drawn by a preteen

Easily kill command.

yeah it's a fun game to see +15/15 edwin coupled with Questing that keep growing

Fuck Rogue

After losing to multiple stealthed questings or 10+ attack Van Cleefs, I'm with you. Rogue is way more degenerate than Jade or pirates but it gets a pass for its undeserved reputation as a "skill" deck.

Maybe that used to be true, but definitely not anymore. Gadgetzan auctioneer not rotating is a crime.

oh no.... I got the Mulocalypse quest... how the hell am I going to play 75 murlocs...

Every Murloc you own goes in a Warlock deck, you go in casual until you've spammed as many as can as fast as you can, and when youre topdecking you concede and do it again.

Make an Everyfin Murloc Shaman deck.

Add in Mana Tide, Flametongue, Maelstrom, Bloodlust.

Go into Casual, spam Murlocs, pray they stick, play Everyfin/Bloodlust and laugh when they concede on Turn 4/5.

wiibomb

Make an Everyfin Murloc Shaman deck.

Add in Mana Tide, Flametongue, Maelstrom, Bloodlust.

Go into Casual, spam Murlocs, pray they stick, play Everyfin/Bloodlust and laugh when they concede on Turn 4/5.

that can be interesting.

I feel I'm behind on murloc decks because I don't have Murloc Warleader

pirate warrior.

BTW I've seen the pirate dragon warrior variant is pretty good against them, specially with an aggro mindset

I got to rank 5 last month with a full aggro dragon warrior except I put in 2 netherspite historians. No warrior dragons means you can get the key neutrals quite consistently (guardians, crushers, and 9-10 drops).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom