• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

Pirate Warrior is the same, it's practically untouched. I feel like Blizzard was conservative with their hall of fame, they should have seen this coming.

in your opinion which card should be moved to HoF for Pirate Warriors to cease?

I still think the deck isn't as busted as many think, but it would be curious to know which card can nerf it really. Deckhand?

Sheroking

As long as Jade Idol has that idiotic shuffle option, control decks that don't have an OTK combo can never be good. As a control player you literally have to HOPE that super aggro decks continue to exist at the same rate they do now to keep the Druid population to a minimum, but even now, I'm queuing into them far more than I like and I just want to immediately mash on concede.

Jades aren't horrible in other classes. Control can beat Jade Shaman and Jade Rogue. It's literally only the shuffle option on Jade Idol that ruins everything.

Pooya

what will happen is that, new set comes out, people will still play pirate warrior because it's impossible there is something even faster than that and winning at turn 5 is good in every meta no matter what and quite possibly with jades both are still the fun police for any slow or homebrew deck, so community will riot after a month and another 2 months after that they nerf something.... I don't think you need to wait for data or new cards to predict that. What they can come up with that would make these decks not as good at what they do? They're so extreme and binary at what they do, I don't think anything can challenge that.

Pirate Warrior only loses Sir Finley, which might seem like a big deal and they thought it doesn't need changing because of that but when you think about it, how often warrior even uses hero power? There is no time for that in 5-6 turns. It does help when somehow your stupid start isn't enough to finish the game and get some gas after that but I doubt it's relevant in majority of the games, let alone how often you get to draw and play the card.

Dahbomb

I still think the deck isn't as busted as many think, but it would be curious to know which card can nerf it really. Deckhand?
I honestly think it should be Korkron Elite. Just way too efficient of a charger to have in the game when they have been nerfing charge all along.

The real culprit is Patches though, that card should have been nerfed too.

I was playing Dragon Priest yesterday and it was literally the first time ever that Jade Idol's ability to shuffle became a detriment to me

https://hsreplay.net/replay/tdNcd46Z8A5WAePT9yiXFR.

More often than not it's a boon because I face a lot of new players who do dumb things like shuffle it on Turn 1.
I expected to see a turn 1 Jade Idol but instead I saw Fandral into Jade Idol into Nourish into drawn Jade Idol that he played against because he was at 10 mana.

That's probably more Fandral doing Fandral things though but Jade Idol definitely helped in accelerating the game plan.

And then second Nourish into triple Jade Idol LMAO! 3 mana 24/24... seems balanced to me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

From the VS article:
The number of Warriors significantly rises at higher levels of play (ranks 1-5), where aggressive variants of the class make up nearly 30% of ladder opponents.
Do you think players are gravitating towards these decks because they are fun? The weapon system is busted when people can just hit face. There is zero reason to leave cards like Heroic Strike, Mortal Strike, and Arcanite Reaper in Standard because nothing interesting will ever happen with them.

wiibomb

I still don't see how Patches can be nerf.

the card is truly insane, but just how would it be nerfed? may be throwing it out of the stratosphere by removing charge

From the VS article:

Do you think players are gravitating towards these decks because they are fun? The weapon system is busted when people can just hit face. There is zero reason to leave cards like Heroic Strike, Mortal Strike, and Arcanite Reaper in Standard because nothing interesting will ever happen with them.

do you know how most metas work? if a streamer plays it, the followers play it, then others who sees it will play it even more, metas are more about popularity imo, not the deck abilities, I haven't lost as much to PW, it is just too common, but not that busted

Dahbomb

I still don't see how Patches can be nerf.

the card is truly insane, but just how would it be nerfed? may be throwing it out of the stratosphere by removing charge
Have a two pirate requirement so you don't get to start winning on turn 1 if you play Nzoth's First Mate.

squidyj

It's like you want to play decks that don't develop onto the board and don't have a win condition.

I guess yall just ant doing nothing to be a viable hearthstone strategy.

Dahbomb

It's like you want to play decks that don't develop onto the board and don't have a win condition.

Good thing no one actually said that.

People don't want to die/lose on turn 4-5 and they want good late game control or combo win conditions. What we don't want is more tempo/aggro decks because we have had that shit for 3 years now.

If control/combo decks had a late game win condition then this Jade Druid thing wouldn't be as big of an issue. Right now when people think "control" they think the classic Priest/Warrior Control style of just answering threat all game when that's not really what control should be doing entirely... it should be removing/controlling the board until they get to the later stages where they can start playing their win conditions. We don't have good enough win conditions especially when midrange/tempo decks can compete with these control win conditions. Druid plays a 1 mana card and that becomes their win condition in the late game.

Of course with all the combo/control cards nerfed, it's looking kinda bleak for control/combo decks in the new set. Those quests better be god damn good for the other classes because Jade Druid isn't going to give a crap about that Priest Deathrattle quest, it will just ramp up faster than that.

Pooya

I just find it amusing that they nerfed charge spell because they thought it would be broken with hand buffs when you can just play arcanite reaper with free upgrade and heroic strike for like 10+ in one turn, with no set up or card draw engine and still have the weapon. Somehow this is interactive and healthy but some convoluted inconsistent combo deck that was never ever any good wasn't.

bu but weapon removal, what's the point when I already took the damage and I'm dead to the million other direct damage warrior has. Maybe print a taunt that also breaks the weapon and heals you for its damage? That could counter pirate warrior.... It would be absurdly broken lol.

wiibomb

Have a two pirate requirement so you don't get to start winning on turn 1 if you play Nzoth's First Mate.

yeah that could be better, it is an awkward mechanic by putting 2, though.

Also, would that really change much? I mean, a turn of difference isn't that much

because of PW? because winning on turn 6 isn't exactly "developing on board" but more, "Hit on yo face"

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
do you know how most metas work? if a streamer plays it, the followers play it, then others who sees it will play it even more, metas are more about popularity imo, not the deck abilities, I haven't lost as much to PW, it is just too common, but not that busted
This is just not how it works at all. Streamers are going to avoid Pirate Warrior lots of the time just because it doesn't attract as many viewers. On ladder people play easy decks with solid win probability and that is Pirate Warrior, where more often than not your opponent probably won't be able to react because you can end the game by turn six. Obviously it is not some unbeatable deck but its efficiency on ladder grind is unrivaled.

Dahbomb

Yeah tons of development by the Pirate Warrior when they play a 1 mana 1/1 that turns into a weapon you can't interact with and summons a card from their deck that you can't interact with followed by buffing their weapons that you can't interact with or the direct damage cards you can't interact with.

Great board development and interactive strategy right there. The Pirate Warrior is definitely trying to out play you on the board with those cards.

wiibomb

This is just not how it works at all. Streamers are going to avoid Pirate Warrior lots of the time just because it doesn't attract as many viewers. On ladder people play easy decks with solid win probability and that is Pirate Warrior, where more often than not your opponent probably won't be able to react because you can end the game by turn six. Obviously it is not some unbeatable deck but its efficiency on ladder grind is unrivaled.

yeah, may be not streamers, just someone followed, often times someone on Hearthpwn posting a successful deck.

Deck is nuts in efficiency, though, that so far is very true, that might be why it is so popular

I saw Trump play pirate warrior for hours trying to hit legend at the end of last month. RDU was playing pirate warrior for a couple hours yesterday as well trying to cross into legend. Both times I quickly moved to another streamer. :)

joelseph

As long as Jade Idol has that idiotic shuffle option, control decks that don't have an OTK combo can never be good. As a control player you literally have to HOPE that super aggro decks continue to exist at the same rate they do now to keep the Druid population to a minimum, but even now, I'm queuing into them far more than I like and I just want to immediately mash on concede.

Jades aren't horrible in other classes. Control can beat Jade Shaman and Jade Rogue. It's literally only the shuffle option on Jade Idol that ruins everything.

I agree 100% with this.

I had a quest so I queued up in Casual. Ran into a Jade Druid with Fandral and Jade Idol. Snooze.

Might as well ladder then if Casual is going to have decks like that. Druid again. Great... then he plays C'thun cards. I save my Hex for C'thun and just overwhelm him after he uses both Swipes.

Next game I'm facing a Paladin and my start is so bad my first playable card is Hex on Turn 3. To make it worse, it's hand-buff Murloc so he has the early advantage.

Thankfully I topdeck Devolve to turn most of his Murlocs into Wisps, and Drake gives me Maelstrom to clear the rest.

In my opinion, Jade Idol has to be nerfed. No doubt about it.

What keeps Jade somewhat balanced is that the resources for it are finite and Druid is able to circumvent that with a single card. It shouldn't have been printed the way it was.

this is such bullshit

i decide to play hero brawl

buy it

set up my best deck (renolock)

1 match pirate warrior. Destroy him.
2 nd match mirror. Destroy him
3-5: Jade Druid. Lose.

awefiojawiojawefiojaweio;fjio;awefawefawefawef

Lyng

Blizzard is a business and it exists to make money. By its very nature, it will seek to maximize revenue. If they find that fewer people are buying packs and that the price increases are hurting their business, then they will lower prices. I don't think it's fair to call a business "greedy af" just because they do some reasonable price increases. "Greed" only enters into it whenever a company becomes exploitative, and Blizzard hasn't reached that point yet.

As someone who actually has his own business I am fully aware of that.
And let me in on a little secret: when you do a price change like this, it's in order for you to make even higher profit. Its fair enough they do it, it's still a greedy choice compared to what some of their competitors do.

Pooya

prices go up and down, the problem with hs is that prices never go down ever. The game hasn't seen a sale a single time in its existence. Yeah, amazon coins, that's not Blizzard.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As someone who actually has his own business I am fully aware of that.
And let me in on a little secret: when you do a price change like this, it's in order for you to make even higher profit. Its fair enough they do it, it's still a greedy choice compared to what some of their competitors do.

Of course they do it to make a higher profit. And their competitors are cheaper because they think that's how they'll make a higher profit. Their competitors don't have lower prices because they're being charitable.

Lyng

Of course they do it to make a higher profit. And their competitors are cheaper because they think that's how they'll make a higher profit. Their competitors don't have lower prices because they're being charitable.

Yes and the fact that something like Shadowverse has a much better f2p model should be pointed out. As a consumer is fairly dumb to just eat a price change without any critical voice?

prices go up and down, the problem with hs is that prices never go down ever. The game hasn't seen a sale a single time in its existence. Yeah, amazon coins, that's not Blizzard.

It is a bit ridiculous that there are never sales in Hearthstone. I think there's only ever been one, at least that I can remember, and that was just 50 classic packs for $50.

ZealousD

Yes and the fact that something like Shadowverse has a much better f2p model should be pointed out. As a consumer is fairly dumb to just eat a price change without any critical voice?

If you think Shadowverse is better for F2P players and want to point that out, that's fine. That's not the same thing as calling Blizzard "greedy AF".

Ultimately, any complaining about price increases will be ignored. What will matter is Blizzard's bottom line. Vote with your wallet and stop buying packs if the cost is too much.

Lyng

If you think Shadowverse is better for F2P players and want to point that out, that's fine. That's not the same thing as calling Blizzard "greedy AF".

Ultimately, any complaining about price increases will be ignored. What will matter is Blizzard's bottom line. Vote with your wallet and stop buying packs if the cost is too much.

Of course it's the same. The 700% rise in cost of life saving medicine is not greedy either then?

ZealousD

Of course it's the same. The 700% rise in cost of life saving medicine is not greedy either then?

Healthcare is a completely different market. To compare a digital card game with epipens is absurd.

ZealousD

Both are companies. They just deal in different products.

Yeah. One is life saving and the other is a time waster. That's a pretty important distinction. Nobody is going to die because Blizzard raised the cost of card packs.

wiibomb

Both are companies. They just deal in different products.

not really the same, I must say.

One deals with products needed for some people to actually live, the other is a completely optional luxury some poeple like us take to entertain.

Blizzard can be greedy af, but they are in their own right to do it.

Lyng

Yeah. One is life saving and the other is a time waster. That's a pretty important distinction. Nobody is going to die because Blizzard raised the cost of card packs.

Of course there is a difference, but the idea behind is exactly the same. "Hey guys, people buy alot of these, thats raise the price and make more money"

The reason is EXACTLY the same.

ZealousD

Of course there is a difference, but the idea behind is exactly the same. "Hey guys, people buy alot of these, thats raise the price and make more money"

The CONSEQUENCES are different. That's why one is fine and the other is greedy.

squidyj

people can just not buy hearthstone packs
people cant just not buy epipens

ZealousD

Of course. And while one is insanely disgusting and the other just annoying, they still stem from the same mindset.

You're oversimplifying things. Blizzard doesn't have an obligation to society to provide card packs at one price point or another. Mylan has to weigh the consequences on their price increases against the very lives of their customers. The circumstances under which both companies make decisions regarding price increases differ vary vastly, so you can't directly compare them.

fertygo

Shadowverse is great when you dont buy anything.. but I dont understand how frigging lopsided the differrence they made if you actuallt WANT to buy with money.

The crystal price ìs absurd.

wiibomb

Adjusting pricing for changes in currency is just natural part of business. Equating it to corporate greed is extremely silly, especially this whole comparison to health care.

I like the discussion that has been going about it, not the healthcare, of course, but the cost of the actual packs in the game, it really doesn't have to do with the increase in price now, but rather how HS is just expensive as a whole.

May be Team 5 will finally do something about it, but in any case this discussion is good for all.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Adjusting pricing for changes in currency is just natural part of business. Equating it to corporate greed is extremely silly, especially this whole comparison to health care.

So if the currency changes again in the opposite direction, do you think they will adjust the pricing down?

Starting in March, we'll be ranking players by best wins per run in any 30 consecutive runs as opposed to best wins per run in all arena runs. We think this will help in two ways. As with all things arena, this is something we're going to try out for March and look forward to any feedback the community might have on this new format.

When players reach a 30 run count they are happy with, there is no downside in continuing to play arena that month.
Players should be less motivated to create a new account when they feel they had a few bad runs to start the month off.

LMFAO

so instead of like, oh i don't know, giving access to complete leaderboards to every single player, as is common in, every single other online game in existence, let's fumble around and try to find an awkward way to post 100 people out of the tens of thousands every month. oops people are making new accounts because our refusal to have common leaderboards is freaking stupid. guess we better change it up. into another stupid way to accomplish an insanely simple task

god forbid the common person be able to compare his arena runs to his friends who play hearthstone, or you could like give us friendly battle stats to motivate people to get their friends to play or something. the only time i have the will to slog through 30 arenas in a month are right after an expansion hits to spend my gold well. since a decent arena has you investing at least an hour. honestly i wish they gave no leaderboard information at all, because it's just insulting every month that i can see kripparian's win per run but if you're not top 100 in ranked or arena then you don't deserve to have that info, it would confuse new players too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom