• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, China got this brawl last week because there was something stopping them from running the heroic brawl last week. Guess they're just swapping them.

They had a big tournment, and wanted to do the Brawl when their streaming community would be able to participate.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Party crasher says you can't control how this minion attacks. So it just goes face every single time.

That is totally a card they would make.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I mean, it's pretty close to Ogre Brute.

Party crasher would be a super annoying aggro card. It has charge too. It would be patches level almost. Way worse than korkron.

All of those special cards are always overpowered so I know they aren't doing that card as a collectible card, I was just being snarky towards blizzard.

wiibomb

Party crasher would be a super annoying aggro card. It has charge too. It would be patches level almost. Way worse than korkron.

All of those special cards are always overpowered so I know they aren't doing that card as a collectible card, I was just being snarky towards blizzard.

and ZealousD was clearly being sarcastic

Tavern Brawl is basically Arena. If you curve well you win.

Had a 60g and 2 50g quests today. Rerolled one of the 50g ones and got spec a friend. Nice.

Also had some funny RNG. Played two games with Secret Hunter: first game I went through half my deck without drawing a single Secret (I even used Tracking). Second game I basically had all Secrets and spells; my "play Beasts" quest didn't move an inch.

Just lost to a zoolock because his knife juggler killed my leeroy when i put him on the board. I even had 2 other minions on my field too... Fuck

Funny thing is i could have played around it since i had 8 mana and demonwrath in hand.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone actually think Kor'kron is broken by itself?
At 3 HP it will die to anything above a stiff breeze. It trades down against 2 drops even. The card is generally terrible. If you took away the high power early game tools from the warrior deck no one would bat an eye at Kor'kron. It's more a symptom of charge the mechanic sucking than the card itself being bad.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
At 3 HP it will die to anything above a stiff breeze. It trades down against 2 drops even. The card is generally terrible. If you took away the high power early game tools from the warrior deck no one would bat an eye at Kor'kron. It's more a symptom of charge the mechanic sucking than the card itself being bad.

It has very good stats for a charge minion. I don't think it is broken, but it is frustrating when you need a weapon to kill it.

Dahbomb

It's not broken but it feels out of place in the type of game that Blizzard has been trying to push with the new standard rotations. Just like I don't think Ice Lance, Azure Drake, Sylvanas are broken but I can see why they are rotating them out.

Not every class has access to good 3 dmg removal. Priest and Paladin for instance can have a hard time dealing with one coming down on an empty board. If I want to remove it I probably have to facetank it for 4 more damage and 1 of 4 weapon charges that are in my deck.

PW has been playing 4 damage burn that's occasionally 6, Korkron elite is basically that (barring taunts) while lingering on the board.

I don't get the point of this brawl. The Party Crashers just make it shit.

Edit: Okay, yeah, this is the worst brawl in a looooong time. If you go second you pretty much win the game unless your opponent happens upon some decent removal. If you don't go second then just concede, save yourself the time.

I don't know if Kor'kron is broken, but it's a fairly good minion for its cost and stats. It curves nicely into Arcanite Reaper, can immediately remove Drake/Pillager/Auctioneer, and isn't vulnerable to Shadow Word or Backstab.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It has very good stats for a charge minion. I don't think it is broken, but it is frustrating when you need a weapon to kill it.

It's not broken but it feels out of place in the type of game that Blizzard has been trying to push with the new standard rotations. Just like I don't think Ice Lance, Azure Drake, Sylvanas are broken but I can see why they are rotating them out.

I get that feeling. It's sticky like Argent Horserider against some classes, especially I can see Paladin and Priest having issues. Hunter has the bow and Quickshot (thank god that shit card is rotating) so its less of an issue. I just see Warrior being good against those classes already and this not really affecting that. Anyhow. Enough about this dumb card.

WHERE THEM CARD LEAKS AT?

lol @ them all going face. i get them having a random one though, since last week was only for the streamers, they needed a non deckbuilding one this week so everyone can get a pack, but lol

wiibomb

got the itch of asking after seeing a thread on reddit.

do you guys have a superstitious way of opening packs?

I usually circle the pack through the screen until I get the sparkles to fill the center.

ZealousD

got the itch of asking after seeing a thread on reddit.

do you guys have a superstitious way of opening packs?

I usually circle the pack through the screen until I get the sparkles to fill the center.

I have a B.S. in CompSci. I press space bar.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I have a B.S. in CompSci. I press space bar.

While this is the techincally correct answer (I have a degree in a Computer Engineering), it doesn't FEEL fun. I don't do anything special with regard to opening the pack itself, but I do reveal the cards in a certain order.

The most fun thing for me is to hover every card before revealing them in reverse rarity order. So commons, then rares, then epics then legendaries last.

In general though, my brain knows none of that shit matters. I do it anyway because its a game.

ZealousD

You don't want opening packs to be too fun. That just makes you more tempted to spend more money on more packs.

wiibomb

I have a BS in CompSci too...

I still enjoy mindlessly throwing my packs all around and revealing cards in reverse order.

this is a game after all.

ZealousD

I have a BS in CompSci too...

I still enjoy mindlessly throwing my packs all around and revealing cards in reverse order.

this is a game after all.

But you're not superstitious about it, right? You don't do that hoping that you'll open more legendaries that way.

wiibomb

But you're not superstitious about it, right? You don't do that hoping that you'll open more legendaries that way.

no, of course not, it is just a way I just shut my brain off and get to enjoy some mindless fun.

to be honest, after the chinese incident with the server rollback it got pretty clear that they already know which rarities we will all get in our lifetimes.

ZealousD

no, of course not, it is just a way I just shut my brain off and get to enjoy some mindless fun.

to be honest, after the chinese incident with the server rollback it got pretty clear that they already know which rarities we will all get in our lifetimes.

Right. That's our CompSci brains working.

Others on Reddit get superstitious. That was part of the original question. Obviously some people know that this really can't influence the odds, but they do it anyway, and still get their hopes up. Our brains exist in another plane of existence, knowing the fruitlessness of such mental labor. We are enlightened.

wiibomb

Right. That's our CompSci brains working.

Others on Reddit get superstitious. That was part of the original question. Obviously some people know that this really can't influence the odds, but they do it anyway, and still get their hopes up. Our brains exist in another plane of existence, knowing the fruitlessness of such mental labor. We are enlightened.

I'm not myself very superstitious with electronics for obvious reasons, but I still enjoy seeing how others behave with the pseudo-RNG of packs.

it is like on pokemon when some people at the early generations speculated that pressing B while catching a pokemon increased the chances of catching it. I always smelled BS on it, but it was fun seeing how others see it.

I thought it would be fun seeing how others behave on pack opening other that the usual space bar (boring! SAD!)

ZealousD

I mean, it's not totally boring for me. I strategize around the pity timers now. I'm going to keep opening MSG packs until my next legendary, then stop.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm not myself very superstitious with electronics for obvious reasons, but I still enjoy seeing how others behave with the pseudo-RNG of packs.

it is like on pokemon when some people at the early generations speculated that pressing B while catching a pokemon increased the chances of catching it. I always smelled BS on it, but it was fun seeing how others see it.

I thought it would be fun seeing how others behave on pack opening other that the usual space bar (boring! SAD!)

Calling the packs pseudo rng seems disingenuous.

Dahbomb

I would probably do some elaborate opening technique if I was a streamer to ham it up for the audience but by myself I just open it up without thinking too much about it. I am only wary of the pity timer so that just changes which packs I may open.

ZealousD

I mean if we want to split hairs, the wording you would use is either RNG or psuedo-random. Not psuedo-RNG.

Edit: Oh wait, that's right. Pity timers. That means there's a thumb on the scale. That's psuedo-RNG I guess.

wiibomb

I mean if we want to split hairs, the wording you would use is either RNG or psuedo-random. Not psuedo-RNG.

Edit: Oh wait, that's right. Pity timers. That means there's a thumb on the scale. That's psuedo-RNG I guess.

there is also the part of the golden card RNG and the card itself. The rarity is determined, however not the card itself or its "goldness" unless I have missed a piece of info.

it has both the RNG and the pseudo-random. that's why i tend to use that weird wording.

ZealousD

there is also the part of the golden card RNG and the card itself. The rarity is determined, however not the card itself or its "goldness" unless I have missed a piece of info.

it has both the RNG and the pseudo-random. that's why i tend to use that weird wording.

Common, Rare, Epic, Legendary, Golden Common, Golden Rare, Golden Epic, Golden Legendary.

Each one of these combinations of rarities and goldness have a chance to occur, and each one has independent pity timers for each set that increase their chance to occur over time as long as you haven't opened one recently. Once the rarity is picked out, a separate roll is done for which card is chosen.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah can we chat for a sec about how truly SHIT this Tavern Brawl is?

3/5 Taunts that ignore taunt and have charge and always go face. WTF. Was this Brawl played for more than 10 seconds by anyone? It feels like it was designed by a neural network or something. No sane person playing this thought it was fun.

I am actually impressed by how epically bad it is. Random shittyness is par for the course in brawls, but this is a new level. Random cards is fine, but when presented with a problem that you can't work around because, "LUL random cards you got suck" it just feels like the game is kicking you in the ass for going first. If you could make a deck maybe you'd have a shot at something interesting or if the guys actually obeyed taunt rules, but nope. Fuck that, enjoy getting rushed down.

wiibomb

Common, Rare, Epic, Legendary, Golden Common, Golden Rare, Golden Epic, Golden Legendary.

Each one of these combinations of rarities and goldness have a chance to occur, and each one has independent pity timers for each set that increase their chance to occur over time as long as you haven't opened one recently. Once the rarity is picked out, a separate roll is done for which card is chosen.

are there pity timers for the goldens? I didn't know that.

I understand the randomness of the pack openings as this:

I know that rarities seem to be determined by a pseudo-number that is present through the whole life of the account, that means the game, or rather, the server, already knows all the rarities I'll be getting before opening any pack, there is already a set there, that might very well be the reason the famous pity timers work, since the formula might be made to hit a legendary at most each 40, same can be applied for the pity timers of the other rarities.

but the card itself is truly generated randomly on the act, no set formula with a set seed forever like in rarities. In that regard there is a true RNG on the card itself, but not on the rarity.

so, for me it seems there is a true random number on the card value, but pseudo random only on the rarity, I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that pity timers are consequence of the pseudo random formula.

I'm I too far off the idea?

ZealousD

are there pity timers for the goldens? I didn't know that.

Yes. I believe all of the pity timers are known except for gold legendary. Whatever the pity timer for gold legendaries is, it's large enough that we don't have enough data to know what it is.

I understand the randomness of the pack openings as this:

I know that rarities seem to be determined by a pseudo-number that is present through the whole life of the account, that means the game, or rather, the server, already knows all the rarities I'll be getting before opening any pack, there is already a set there, that might very well be the reason the famous pity timers work, since the formula might be made to hit a legendary at most each 40, same can be applied for the pity timers of the other rarities.

but the card itself is truly generated randomly on the act, no set formula with a set seed forever like in rarities. In that regard there is a true RNG on the card itself, but not on the rarity.

so, for me it seems there is a true random number on the card value, but pseudo random only on the rarity, I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that pity timers are consequence of the pseudo random formula.

I'm I too far off the idea?

Bro, I thought you said you were a CompSci major! There's no such thing as true random in computers. Everything is RNG. What may be accounting for the difference between the way that rarities and the card identities are generating might be different types of seeds. The seed for rarity might be static and not based on computer time, while the card identity seed might.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...timer_on_packs_opening_and_the_best_strategy/
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3znt9m/continuing_information_on_the_pity_timer/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom