• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

Yes. I believe all of the pity timers are known except for gold legendary. Whatever the pity timer for gold legendaries is, it's large enough that we don't have enough data to know what it is.

sure, sure, didn't know there where for the golden.

Bro, I thought you said you were a CompSci major! There's no such thing as true random in computers. Everything is RNG. What may be accounting for the difference between the way that rarities and the card identities are generating might be different types of seeds. The seed for rarity might be static and not based on computer time, while the card identity seed might.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston...timer_on_packs_opening_and_the_best_strategy/

I know, I know, I just used the "true random" to differentiate since it isn't an static seed instead of ticks (supposing they even use them), not really the correct term, I understand it is still based on an algorithm (whichever they use) and as such it follows rules, incapable of being really random.

Yeah can we chat for a sec about how truly SHIT this Tavern Brawl is?

3/5 Taunts that ignore taunt and have charge and always go face. WTF. Was this Brawl played for more than 10 seconds by anyone? It feels like it was designed by a neural network or something. No sane person playing this thought it was fun.

I am actually impressed by how epically bad it is. Random shittyness is par for the course in brawls, but this is a new level. Random cards is fine, but when presented with a problem that you can't work around because, "LUL random cards you got suck" it just feels like the game is kicking you in the ass for going first. If you could make a deck maybe you'd have a shot at something interesting or if the guys actually obeyed taunt rules, but nope. Fuck that, enjoy getting rushed down.

I've been winning almost always I get second. these guys really ruined the brawl, I think the problem is they have a huge body

ricelord

log on, went to brawl, pick warrior, won game before i loaded in the match (opponent concede for some reason), also see that i got a free un'goro pack but also realize that its from the brawl win, don't know to be happy or mad.

log on, went to brawl, pick warrior, won game before i loaded in the match (opponent concede for some reason), also see that i got a free un'goro pack but also realize that its from the brawl win, don't know to be happy or mad.

Be happy you didn't have to endure this brawl to get that pack.

Pooya

This brawl highlights hearthstone's long term design goals. Don't even need to play early tempo stuff and point face, the game will be doing that for you instead. You just flip a coin to go first or second and win based on that, 50% winrate so it's balanced!

squidyj

you can generate true random numbers, but you can't do it by doing math ops on a variable. you need to sample some random phenomenon

Dahbomb

This brawl highlights hearthstone's long term design goals. Don't even need to play early tempo stuff and point face, the game will be doing that for you instead. You just flip a coin to go first or second and win based on that, 50% winrate so it's balanced!
Yup exactly what I thought. Future of HS is minions that play themselves or are summoned from deck automatically.

patchday

this brawl so awful and full of rng. makes me want to uninstall honestly

edit- wait a sec- am i starting to actually enjoy this?
picked shaman on 2nd try and won easily. I actually had fun the second time since i knew what was going to happen

--------------------------------------------

And is there a better feeling then drawing the perfect hand to force pirate war to concede on Turn 5....

z0cYIqe.png

So this might be an interaction that vets are aware of but I had somehow missed.

Was playing Lock vs. Priest I was ahead on the board and its turn 9 so I thought 'eh why not?' and played Jaraxus only for the Priest to play Sacrificial Pact which instantly killed me. I wish I had been recording (I was on my phone) since again I had never seen that interaction before and I was completely in shock. I mean he is a demon but I never expected it to actually just outright kill you, also read that the Pally secret Sacred Trial will do the same thing if the condition is activated.

Learn something new every day in this game.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Seems ungoro is still coming out April 6 (or at the very least early April but probably the 6th) despite the packs saying mid April.

Dinskugga

This brawl. Its almost impossible to win if you are first. If you are not second. Pray that you got a good hand. Or gonna get good card draws.

Won my match after like 10 damn games. Got lucky witch shaman. Got everyfine is awesome and a healcard. Saved me.

Never ever gonna play this shit brawl again

So now that we're a day and a half out from a steady stream of card reveals, I'm curious what everyone's thoughts, hopes and expectations are for Un'Goro.

It seems like there's a lot riding on this expansion heading into the new rotation. Even more so it seems like the majority of classes need some kind of direction.

Paladin and Hunter really need some kind of focus. Blizzard seems to like the idea of small minions overwhelming your opponent for Paladin but that hasn't really taken off. Will Blizzard finally give midrange Paladin some love or at least give control Paladin more tools? It seems like there are a lot of directions for the class to go right now. As for Hunter, I'm really not sure what direction they take. It's a class that seems like it's all about beasts and deathrattle and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard doubled down on that. There's also the potential of more synergy cards for secret Hunter but outside of beast synergy Hunter is a bit of a mess right now.

Priest is losing a lot of their dragons as well as Reno. Control Priest is much less attractive than it used to be and it's losing some core cards on top of that. Maybe Priest can somehow hold on to the Reno archetype with Kazakus and Raza since they're probably the class that leans on Reno's effect the least. Blizzard obviously sees value in deathrattle Priest given the quest so maybe that's where their focus will lie but if that archetype doesn't work out it seems like Priest may find itself struggling a whole lot.

Warrior seems lost in a sea of aggro. Control is pretty much dead right now and it's hard to imagine it coming back given the current landscape. They're losing dragons and taunt hasn't taken off either. I have no idea what they do with this class. Outside of smashing face it seems like there isn't much hope for other Warrior archetypes. Maybe Un'Goro will be the start of something new for the class or maybe we just get more failed attempts at making taunt Warrior work.

Mage is losing some key tools for their biggest archetypes, as is Warlock. It's tough to see either of them sticking with the Reno archetype after the rotation. Blizzard could potentially double down on secret Mage or try to support the aggro archetype that's popped up somewhat recently. Elementals are also a possibility although I'd be surprised if Mage got much in the way of synergy there. As for Warlock, it's tough to say. I'm guessing we're going to start seeing a good bit of demon synergy going forward as it's been a mostly forgotten/half-assed archetype for a while now. Zoo is losing some key cards but if there's anything you can say about that deck it would be that it's resilient so I'd be surprised if Zoo wasn't able to find a way. Personally I'd like to see some cards, especially demons, that support a midrange/control playstyle, especially if Warlock can't lean on Reno anymore.

Rogue is a class that is losing a couple good cards but should mostly stay intact. That said, it's also still a class that still seems to lack focus and is probably a class that has mostly lucked into being successful through the various tools they've been able to take advantage of across a bunch of sets. I just think Rogue needs something new and fresh that will succeed and stick around where deathrattle and burgle failed, though Blizzard seems like they still wants to play around with the burgle effect so maybe that continues to be a theme. Stealth also seems like it's an archetype that Blizzard might be interested in as well. Who knows, Rogue seems like the biggest unknown going forward.

Druid is tough to evaluate as well I think. They have Jade which should stick around as a Druid archetype in Standard for the next year but outside of that it's really questionable. Beast never took off and the archetype is losing a lot of the really nice cards, though I'm guessing Blizzard will still continue to push the archetype anyway and maybe it could take on a new form as a non-aggro deck? I have a hard time seeing them pushing traditional ramp Druid when the Jade archetype can essentially just do it better right now.

Then there's Shaman. The class is losing a fricking ton in the rotation and I think the potential is there for it to suffer quite a bit if they don't see a couple somewhat reasonable replacements. That said, Jade should be able to stick around and be successful even with the loss of cards like Trogg and Golem. The other positive thing for Shaman is that it seems like Blizzard has clear direction for the class. Evolve is still around and it feels like the archetype only needs one final push to become something truly viable. Blizzard has been pushing the control quite a bit recently as well and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that, especially since the deck seems like it's only a couple powerful late game cards away from being really good. There's also elementals to consider and since Shaman is the de facto elemental class I'm expecting to see a lot of tribe synergy for Shaman to play around with. What form it will take is really up in the air right now though.

So yeah, that ended up being a lot more long winded than I expected but that's essentially me "thinking out loud" when it comes to the new expansion. I think there's a lot of questions and a lot of needs for pretty much all the classes heading into the future. It should be interesting to see what routes Blizzard takes and I'm really hoping Un'Goro is able to give a solid foundation going into the next rotation because if it ends up falling flat I think it's going to be REALLY rough times for the game moving forward.

Also, probably worth noting that pretty much all these thoughts are about Standard going forward and pretty much irrelevant to Wild.

Szadek

I guess it's time for me to haunt this thread again.
Partly because I want to see how badly the fuck up, but mostly to see some cool dinosaurs.
Quests will be the next failed mechanic, won't it?
Heartstone,better balanced than Chess!
this brawl stupid af ayy lmao

its so stupid to the point its unbelivable
I just saw it on youtube.
This brawl is aggressively stupid.

This brawl felt like they gave up not even halfway through a good idea. The minion it spawns wouldn't be awful if it was one of a half dozen or so potential minions.

AndersK

i've had great luck teching in Black Knight in my control decks. Taunted jades, ancients of war, thing always below zero mana, etc.

Got its surprise factor back.

patchday

I was rank 11 (Standard) but got bounced up to 13. Idk if water rogue working for me. At my rank on NA I see a plethora of dragon war / jade druid / dragon priest. I feel i am needing to tech sap or something

so went back to miracle (QA build). got a nice win just earlier by using Conceal. I fear once Conceal rotates out of standard I am gonna be screwed. I freakin' hate watching my minions get removed and I'm helpless to watch. This new expansion better hit a home run for me that's all I gotta say. cause a whole lot of depth (at least for me) is getting removed from Rogue

no way would i have won this match just earlier w/o Conceal. just no freakin' way: https://hsreplay.net/replay/FUUrcMiqdGhWQAWBeccJFn

for bad-average rogue players like myself conceal is a necessary crutch no?

(edit- On the plus side- Dragon priest will be gutter in Standard. It's those Shadow word spells that trigger me. Basically any shitty removal/polymorph spell)

edit ++2 --->
So many people hated on the brawl I assumed it would be terrible. But it wasn't that bad, which for brawls says something.

makes me feel better to see you say that!!! I thought i enjoyed the brawl cause I'm just bad at this game. seeing so much hate on reddit, etc. Granted this is far from my favorite Brawl.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So many people hated on the brawl I assumed it would be terrible. But it wasn't that bad, which for brawls says something.

Nah, it's pretty bad.

I had the most success with priest. You have healing, occasionally you pull a shadow madness or something to steal one of their taunts, and lightwell is a really sick card in this brawl

patchday

I guess it's time for me to haunt this thread again.
Partly because I want to see how badly the fuck up, but mostly to see some cool dinosaurs.
Quests will be the next failed mechanic, won't it?

can you answer where you have been? I think I saw you post at Shadowverse-gaf forums but cannot be sure. your avatar is a cute waifu so maybe I'm thinking you were playing Shadowverse cause its waifu-heaven lol

patchday

^ what does that mean you dont worry bout completing quest anymore? Do you no longer grind for gold?? not worried bout saving up for ungoro packs?

Hycran

Banned
So this might be an interaction that vets are aware of but I had somehow missed.

Was playing Lock vs. Priest I was ahead on the board and its turn 9 so I thought 'eh why not?' and played Jaraxus only for the Priest to play Sacrificial Pact which instantly killed me. I wish I had been recording (I was on my phone) since again I had never seen that interaction before and I was completely in shock. I mean he is a demon but I never expected it to actually just outright kill you, also read that the Pally secret Sacred Trial will do the same thing if the condition is activated.

A lot of effects work but some dont. Repentance will set his health to one but potion of polymorph wont give you a sheep hero power. Can't say I've ever seen snipe hit jaraxxus in the face either.

patchday

I've always wanted to Sacrifical pact a warlock but I dont see them enuff at my ranks

Disguised Toast brought the most fun decks by far to watch at the Major. Loved him casting pact for that easy win. Too bad he is lazy and overslept. must be nice not to have a regular job which allows you to develop awful bachelor habits like that

(yes I am salty at Toast for oversleeping; I didnt bother watchjing rest of Major due to his absence!!!)

Why is this Brawl?

I saw Kibler trashing it on Twitter and thought "surely it can't be THAT bad"

But just... why? I still enjoy this game but this is the laziest fucking shit I've ever seen come out of it

I was playing a QA Rogue recently and in case he was going to go for a conceal turn I just played out any minions I had to be able to PO Shadowflame. Predictably he just walked right into it and got blown out.
Also played with Pally against Reno Dragon Priest in wild and because I knew as greedy as the build was he'd have an entomb I played Tirion into my opponents Doomsayer to kill him with Ashbringer, Ooze was already gone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Had a pirate quest. Threw together pirate warrior. Drew like absolute garbage. Never drew a good early game. Never got value from bloodsail. Opponents had answers to my frothing every time.

Still won by turn 7 all three games.

patchday

I was playing a QA Rogue recently and in case he was going to go for a conceal turn I just played out any minions I had to be able to PO Shadowflame. Predictably he just walked right into it and got blown out.
Also played with Pally against Reno Dragon Priest in wild and because I knew as greedy as the build was he'd have an entomb I played Tirion into my opponents Doomsayer to kill him with Ashbringer, Ooze was already gone.

huh, shadowflame has gotten me a few times. I guess most renolock decks play that combo. man control lock is so devastating. just turn after turn they have board wipes. But for some reason I feel they are much more 'fair' then Dragon priests so I never complain about that deck. It just feels honest. The only thing thats dirty is now there are zoolocks and I cant tell them apart til like turn 4-5

Had a pirate quest. Threw together pirate warrior. Drew like absolute garbage. Never drew a good early game. Never got value from bloodsail. Opponents had answers to my frothing every time.

Still won by turn 7 all three games.

interesting even at my ranks (14-11) I see everyone teching against PW so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom