• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

The taunt part of houndmaster is quite huge. Then there is the curve problem. The only 4 mana beast right now is savage combatant.

if you're playing tigers, druid of the claw and azure drake, then I'm not sure you can justify this ever. It doesn't do much, if it was mark of yshaarj attached to a body and it drew a card too then I could see it being good but like this? nope.

It has better stat allocation than houndmaster. Far superior stat allocation that the lack of taunt isn't a big deal at all imo. The taunt is more important on houndmaster to protect the houndmaster itself imo. This 5 hp minion needs a lot less protection.

I think it's a good card. You're getting a pretty good buff and a decent body, 6/7 worth of stats so it exceeds value of an ordinary 5 drop. It's not a beast itself, so there is some anti-synergy going on to be that good.

I'm sure someone will make it work. It's far better than wild walker or whatever it's called... 4/4 + 3hp to a beast.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seems clunky with the way beast druid's curve looks. Also really hurts that it isn't a beast itself.

I really like a lot of the jade lotus art though.

Dahbomb

You don't play that card in Beast Druid.

This is not a good design. The 5 drop slot is super crowded in Beast Druid and this does not curve well into Menagerie Warden.

It's very good otherwise but due to circumstances and constraints of the deck you don't play this.

Raxus

You don't play that card in Beast Druid.

This is not a good design. The 5 drop slot is super crowded in Beast Druid and this does not curve well into Menagerie Warden.

It's very good otherwise but due to circumstances and constraints of the deck you don't play this.

To add insult to injury it isn't even a beast itself. That is the huge problem with Beast Druid. Only synergize one way. Plus they introduced a card that gives +1/+1 to all minions for 1 mana.

V-Faction

Virmen sensei - I thought Blizz was done with Beasts? And now they hand over a card that is already competing with a crowded deck.

Jade dude - Time to make a "Battlecry: Summon" Shaman deck. Rough Drafted one last night, but this probably cements it. Aya, Jade Spirit, Brann, Doppleganster, Pantry Spider, Tidehunter, Cleaners, Arcanosmith, N'Zoth, Jade Lightning, Moroes.. And then your choice of Bloodlust, Evolve, or Everyfin is Awesome.

So far, the Shaman Jade Golem curve can't even start till 4-mana. I REALLY hope there's a 1-to-2 cost Jade Golem card in the set.

At this pace I should hit 3k gold before the new expansion all that with so little play that I've not climbed higher than 10 this month. Has Hearthstone become gratuitous?

I think the average gold per quest has gone up quite a bit. Used to be rare to get a 100g quest and this last week I got at least 2 of them. All the others have been 50+. And they're all easy to do. I was hoping for 3k myself, but now I'll probably be closer to 4k and I haven't played a whole lot in the last 2 weeks.

Pooya

I have not completed a single 40g quest since new quests were rolled in. Always roll into something better, I roll 50g ones too. I haven't looked at the math but I think chances are higher you get another 50g or something better now rather than a 40g one.

wiibomb

I have not completed a single 40g quest since new quests were rolled in. Always roll into something better, I roll 50g ones too. I haven't looked at the math but I think chances are higher you get another 50g or something better now rather than a 40g one.

I just got a 40g quest after re rolling a 50g one and I'm waiting to re roll it tomorrow, I have done very very few 40g quests since the update, 50g are more common

Peléo

p7OdDfG.png

how many 5 drops you can even play in beast druid. doesn't seem good enough.

42055.png

Is Wildwalker that bad? It doesn't seem like a bad 4-drop: can give a health buff to Druid of the Flame (if you pick 5/2) or Mounted Raptor to get a favourable trade. Also a decent 4/4 body. Then again I'm cheap and won't craft Savage Combatant.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah that isn't nearly good enough for the 5-drop slot in Beast Druid.

Is Wildwalker that bad? It doesn't seem like a bad 4-drop: can give a health buff to Druid of the Flame (if you pick 5/2) or Mounted Raptor to get a favourable trade. Also a decent 4/4 body. Then again I'm cheap and won't craft Savage Combatant.

Savage Combatant and Fandral are really fucking good, and Savage is a Beast you wouldn't mind to copy. Add Swipe to the mix @ 4, and yeah Wildwalker gets demoted to something you only play when you can't afford the other stuff. Spend the 200 dust.

patchday

I am pretty sure Rogue has a healing ability in WoW and I don't even play Warcraft.

yeah well.... kinda... I remember every rogue picks first aid in WoW for the bandages. But this is a profession anyone can pickup. Rogues would stealth and bandage. during the old days in Vanilla I recall Priests never wasted any mana on rogues during raids. We made them heal their own selves with first aid bandages lol

I made a rogue in the new expansion to get it to 20 so I could get the golden paladin portrait. There might also be a heal spell in the talent tree. not clear on that but anyways

edit (tl;dr)- Oh yeah there is a spell in talent trees.

Crimson Vial
30 Energy
Instant 30 sec cooldown
Requires Rogue
Requires level 16
Drink an alchemical concoction that heals you for 30% of your maximum health over 6 sec.

I never played WoW when that skill was in the game, but it is (or was?) in the game.

Plus there are lifesteal weapons. Perdition's blade isn't even a rogue thing, it's just a dagger they can use. It's a spell in hearthstone though.

Plus the game isn't a translation of wow... hence the name "hearthstone heroes of warcraft" not "hearthstone heroes of world of warcraft"

patchday

Well Valeera Sanguinar is a character from World of Warcraft though but rogues aren't considered to be any sort of healer there. so I can bend to either argument in regards to a heal spell for them.

Peléo

What if Rogue had a different type of damage prevention then? Some time ago I thought about a mechanic called dodge, which fits thematically to the class. Mechanically, it works the same as a Divine Shield (single use as well) but only prevents damage done by a single source (Spells, Hero Powers or Attacks).

So imagine it's your opponent turn and he has a Soul Fire in hand and a Possessed Villager and Doomguard in play. You played a minion with Batllecry: Dodge the next attack, so you Hero is glowing with a stealthy smoke effect.
Your opponent could

A - Attack with Doomguard first, then Villager (Ineffective, since you would dodge the first attack and then take 1 damage from villager).

B - Attack with Villager first, then Doomguard (Makes sense, you would take 5 damage).

C - Cast Soul Fire to face, then attack with the other minions (Since the Battlecry is "Dodge the next attack", you would take 4 damage as normal and then go back to scenario A or B)

I think this mechanic could be really interesting. Dodge the next attack; dodge the next spell; dodge the next 2 hero powers: whenever you attack, dodge the next attack. It could be apllied to Battlecries, Deathrattles, Weapon effects, Spells. When I first thought about this mechanic I had a Villefin Inquisitor type of card with the text: Battlecry: Your Hero Power becomes 'Dodge the next attack'.

Pooya

give your hero stealth until next turn, 1 mana spell card.

you can still die to rag or steady shot, but minions can't go face, you can't fireball face either. done. it's like a weaker iceblock.

Mulgrok

give your hero stealth until next turn, 1 mana spell card.

you can still die to rag or steady shot, but minions can't go face, you can't fireball face either. done. it's like a weaker iceblock.

freeze mage alexes you to 15, stealth yourself the next turn to prevent lethal, profit.

I'd be happy with a healbot. Or something like feral rage. Damn druid gets all the good spells lol

3 mana
Deal 4 damage to a minion
Combo, heal your face for 4

3 mana
heal face for 6, combo, heal for 10.

I dunno, something like that.

Healbot is fine too. Or something like that.

Doesn't need to be some weird mechanic that just fits the "lore" or whatever. Perdition's blade isn't even a rogue thing or even a spell (edit: oh yeah it is a weapon in HS lol). They have lots of flexibility here. Hearthstone is it's own thing now, they're treating it that way last I heard.

Pooya

there is no neutral card that can heal for more than 4 beside Reno or Alex. That's probably the ceiling they have for neutral heals. I don't think we get any where there. It has to be a class card.

The best neutral heal is Bolf right now!

The new 1 drop seems pretty good, I'm not sure if it useful in rogue, I don't think so. If you're playing N'Zoth you don't want to bring that back. It's probably better to avoid cards that won't make your worst match ups any different but make your good ones worse.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
there is no neutral card that can heal for more than 4 beside Reno or Alex. That's probably the ceiling they have for neutral heals. I don't think we get any where there. It has to be a class card.

The best neutral heal is Bolf right now!

Cult Apothecary

Kettch

It has better stat allocation than houndmaster. Far superior stat allocation that the lack of taunt isn't a big deal at all imo. The taunt is more important on houndmaster to protect the houndmaster itself imo. This 5 hp minion needs a lot less protection.

I think it's a good card. You're getting a pretty good buff and a decent body, 6/7 worth of stats so it exceeds value of an ordinary 5 drop. It's not a beast itself, so there is some anti-synergy going on to be that good.

I'm sure someone will make it work. It's far better than wild walker or whatever it's called... 4/4 + 3hp to a beast.

It's not better stat allocation than Houndmaster, because it costs one more. I'd prefer to have a 4/3 4 drop over a 4/5 5 drop. As was pointed out above, it's more comparable to Menagerie Magician than Houndmaster.

It's not better stat allocation than Houndmaster, because it costs one more. I'd prefer to have a 4/3 4 drop over a 4/5 5 drop. As was pointed out above, it's more comparable to Menagerie Magician than Houndmaster.

Menagerie Magician is a good card. It's actually overstated because it fits into an archetype that relies on 3 different tribes to be maximized. But I don't think that is an apt comparison, since hitting one target with magician is not the same strength as hitting 1 target with sensei.

On the other hand, hitting 1 target with houndmaster provides 11 stats total, and taunt. Hitting 1 target with sensei gives 13 stats total. 11 stats is equivalent to a 5 drop and 13 stats is equivalent to a 6 drop.

Now why would 4/3 be preferred over 4/5? 3 health is dealt with much much easier than 5 health. Most 2 mana damage removal hits for 3. Many more AOEs hit for 3. Meanwhile 5 health requires typically 4 mana to deal with, or more. That is a difference of 2 mana between the 2 stat allocations. Costing 1 more to play is pretty good.

Dahbomb

Redundancy with Youthful Brewmaster for those shenanigan decks.

Otherwise not a good card.

Why did this have to be a combo? A 2/3 Brewmaster effect as a class card is definitely not over powered.

ZealousD

Why did this have to be a combo? A 2/3 Brewmaster effect as a class card is definitely not over powered.

It's not necessarily worse as a combo. Sometimes in arena you don't want to play Youthful Brewmaster because you don't want to return a minion to your hand. If you'd rather have a vanilla 2/3 and skip the effect, you can kind of do that.

It might be relevant depending on what other Jade Golem cards Rogue gets. If you have a Jade Golem effect attached to a cheap battlecry minion, you might want to do this.

Kettch

Menagerie Magician is a good card. It's actually overstated because it fits into an archetype that relies on 3 different tribes to be maximized. But I don't think that is an apt comparison, since hitting one target with magician is not the same strength as hitting 1 target with sensei.

What? It's exactly the same strength. They both give +2/+2. The only difference there is the magician having 1 less health. And a card that never sees play is generally not a good card.

On the other hand, hitting 1 target with houndmaster provides 11 stats total, and taunt. Hitting 1 target with sensei gives 13 stats total. 11 stats is equivalent to a 5 drop and 13 stats is equivalent to a 6 drop.

Now why would 4/3 be preferred over 4/5? 3 health is dealt with much much easier than 5 health. Most 2 mana damage removal hits for 3. Many more AOEs hit for 3. Meanwhile 5 health requires typically 4 mana to deal with, or more. That is a difference of 2 mana between the 2 stat allocations. Costing 1 more to play is pretty good.

When you play understatted cards, it's better to have higher attack than health. These cards generally gain value through their text, so all you want from the body is for it to not die for free. Either trading into something yourself or soaking up removal from the opponent or threatening damage. For instance, everyone would take a 2/1 loot hoard over a 1/2 loot hoarder, because the latter is much less likely to be able to anything.

You also keep ignoring the fact that the 4/3 is on turn 4 and the 4/5 is on turn 5. That's a big difference. Imagine a 3/2 3 drop that gave +2/+2 or a 2/1 2 drop that gave +2/+2. As you go down in mana this gets better and better because the effect isn't changing.

Pooya

that's a rogue card alright. lol

combo is not easy to activate, in a deck that wants that effect you just play brew master plus shadowstep is enough.

I'm sure someone will make a meme shadowcaster deck with this and it will be featured in some youtube montage. zzzz

ZealousD

Does that card have any potential in Mill Rogue?

Mill Rogue already skips out on Youthful Brewmaster doesn't it? Gang up and Shadowstep do that job just fine.

The card looks pointless knowing what we know now. I'm not sure why Blizzard would print a card like this unless they had a specific plan in mind and we aren't seeing all the pieces yet. It's not like there are zero possible universes where a card like this sees play. Attach the Jade Golem effect to a cheaper battlecry minion and the Rogue Jade Golem deck might be some bounce shenanigans where you keep playing and bouncing back a minion to generate more and more Jade Golems.

Or maybe they think Jade Spirit is that card already, which I dunno....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It makes the most sense with a 1 or 2 mana Jade Golem Rogue card, yes, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't still use Youthful Brewmaster.

Mill Rogue already skips out on Youthful Brewmaster doesn't it? Gang up and Shadowstep do that job just fine.

The card looks pointless knowing what we know now. I'm not sure why Blizzard would print a card like this unless they had a specific plan in mind and we aren't seeing all the pieces yet. It's not like there are zero possible universes where a card like this sees play. Attach the Jade Golem effect to a cheaper battlecry minion and the Rogue Jade Golem deck might be some bounce shenanigans where you keep playing and bouncing back a minion to generate more and more Jade Golems.

Or maybe they think Jade Spirit is that card already, which I dunno....
Maybe that's the point: give Rogues a way to do nothing but bounce Jade Golem cards back to their hand, and that's an entire deck archetype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom