• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

Maybe that's the point: give Rogues a way to do nothing but bounce Jade Golem cards back to their hand, and that's an entire deck archetype.

I'm going to make a wild prediction that such a deck that relies on bouncing back lots of cards and play them again would be really bad, inconsistent at best.

Dahbomb

Actually the Combo does have a purpose, you can play this card for tempo when you already have a minion up. That is certainly a relevant situation.

Edit: Nevermind someone already beat me to it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Maybe that's the point: give Rogues a way to do nothing but bounce Jade Golem cards back to their hand, and that's an entire deck archetype.

We've already seen some evidence that the Druid Jade Golem deck will use fatigue as their win condition. Maybe the idea is that each of the three classes has a distinct way to utilize their jade golem deck. Druid fatigues. Rogue uses bounce shenanigans to generate multiple golems per turn. Shaman.... does something else.

I'm going to make a wild prediction that such a deck that relies on bouncing back lots of cards and play them again would be really bad, inconsistent at best.

One of the ways you might solve that inconsistency would be to print redundant cards.

Aka, exactly what seems to be the case with Gadgetzan Ferryman.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I mean, I guess that card has the advantage over Youthful Brewmaster, that you could play it early without needing to return a card to hand. I don't think people would run it though. Maybe if it was a 2/4 or 3/3.

Also, why isn't the card a Pandaren Brewmaster of some sorts? It being some weird fish thing doesn't fit thematically.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We've already seen some evidence that the Druid Jade Golem deck will use fatigue as their win condition. Maybe the idea is that each of the three classes has a distinct way to utilize their jade golem deck. Druid fatigues. Rogue uses bounce shenanigans to generate multiple golems per turn. Shaman.... does something else.

We did see that with the goons.

Paladin buffs many units for less, Hunter buffs singular units to enable powerful effects, and Warrior buffs taunts and weapons.

I think they wanted to avoid giving it to Warrior, Priest, or Paladin because they could presumably survive an incredibly long time and consistently churn out ridiculous golems.

they did print that Druid card OTOH. Also druid has some of the most versatile healing in the game since they can heal and armor up

spoon!

Assuming there's a 1 mana jade golem card Rogue can play -

[1] jade golem -> [0] shadow step -> [1] jade golem -> [2] brewmaster -> [1] jade golem -> [2] ferryman COMBO -> [1] jade golem

4 card 8 mana combo for a 3/2, 2/3, 4/4

tricky

Pooya

What happens if you bounce a jade golem to your hand and play it again with shadowcaster or something else? Technically you summoned a jade golem but I'm pretty sure it's not going to count as one and get stat buff.

If you want to solve the consistency problem, there are only 2 minions plus a legendary so far you can play in rogue that summon a jade golem. That's not enough. bouncing and replayng 4 mana and 6 mana minions sounds like fool's jade alright. yeah shadowcaster, works everytime.

Shaman's thing is probably their legendary.... that changes their hero power into summon a jade golem lol. the theme seems to be infinite value overall, that's the only way they can do that in shaman. A card like Jaraxxus pretty much.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Assuming there's a 1 mana jade golem card Rogue can play -

[1] jade golem -> [0] shadow step -> [1] jade golem -> [2] brewmaster -> [1] jade golem -> [2] ferryman COMBO -> [1] jade golem

4 card 8 mana combo for a 3/2, 2/3, 4/4

tricky

You generate a new jade golem each time you play a jade golem card. You don't grow the existing jade golem that's already on the board.

If you want to solve the consistency problem, there are only 2 minions plus a legendary so far you can play in rogue that summon a jade golem. That's not enough.

Agreed. If this is the plan we have not seen all the pieces, unless they're going all in on Jade Spirit, which I don't think they are. There are plenty of Rogue cards we have yet to see in this set.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think replaying a Jade Golem would only just replay it, and not buff the Jade Counter, but I guess we can't be sure of the exact interaction unless Blizard Says or until the expansion comes out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean, I guess that card has the advantage over Youthful Brewmaster, that you could play it early without needing to return a card to hand. I don't think people would run it though. Maybe if it was a 2/4 or 3/3.

Also, why isn't the card a Pandaren Brewmaster of some sorts? It being some weird fish thing doesn't fit thematically.
The Jinyu are one of the races from Pandaria: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Jinyu

WoW Wiki said:
The Jinyu are a race of fish-like humanoids native to Pandaria. They are considered wise creatures even among the pandaren, as they have the ability to converse with the land. The jinyu were once murlocs that evolved when exposed to sacred pools in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

Alliance players who arrive at the Jade Forest will be trying to sway the jinyu into siding with the Alliance.[1] The rampaging hozen have caused much destruction to jinyu settlements and have been historical enemies.
You will notice a lot of Hozen (monkey people) in the cards as well.

Pooya

I think replaying a Jade Golem would only just replay it, and not buff the Jade Counter, but I guess we can't be sure of the exact interaction unless Blizard Says or until the expansion comes out.

yeah, they would need animation that transforms the token to bigger one as it's played. I don't think we're getting that.

Dahbomb

Shadowcaster is one of the best designed cards in HS, I will not stand for the slander. One day something broken will be discovered with it and you all will repent.

jgminto

Nuk5sot.png

Kinda of like Youthful Brewmaster but you sort of get a choice if you want to return something to your hand or not.
Why...they could have at least had it add some sort of discount like Shadowstep so it doesn't feel like a totally unimaginative and pointless card.

Xanathus

One reason they could have printed that card is that Rogue is going to get a super-efficient 0/1-mana minion with a battlecry that summons a Jade Golem, so you're going to want to immediately return that minion to hand after playing. Imagine a 1 mana 1/1 Battlecry summon a Jade Golem. Turn 3 you play it, Shadowstep it, play it again, Ferryman it. You now have a 1/1, 2/2, and 2/3 on board on turn 3, and a 1 mana 1/1 + 3/3 next turn.

What? It's exactly the same strength. They both give +2/+2. The only difference there is the magician having 1 less health. And a card that never sees play is generally not a good card.

Many good cards don't see play. The reason menagerie doesn't see play is obviously because there isn't a competitive murloc/dragon/beast deck. It's not because it's a bad card.

When you play understatted cards, it's better to have higher attack than health. These cards generally gain value through their text, so all you want from the body is for it to not die for free. Either trading into something yourself or soaking up removal from the opponent or threatening damage. For instance, everyone would take a 2/1 loot hoard over a 1/2 loot hoarder, because the latter is much less likely to be able to anything.

You also keep ignoring the fact that the 4/3 is on turn 4 and the 4/5 is on turn 5. That's a big difference. Imagine a 3/2 3 drop that gave +2/+2 or a 2/1 2 drop that gave +2/+2. As you go down in mana this gets better and better because the effect isn't changing.

It's possible a 4 mana 4/3 is much much better than a 5 mana 4/5 given the right meta for it, but in general that simply isn't the case. Health is valued that much higher than attack and we're talking 2 point difference. 4/3 is a statline that has always existed, at 3 mana and never played. And yet for 1 mana more, yeti, saw play in classic era.

You argue that a 4/3 is better because you might not get value out of a higher health minion on turn 4, but actually very few 4 attack 3 drops are played. A 3/4 houndmaster, in general, would actually be stronger than 4/3 houndmaster. Beyond just minion based line ups, far more 3 damage removal spells are played than 4 damage. This makes it far more likely that your opponent has efficient removal to swing the board back in their favor. This is obviously a huge deal in hearthstone, and for tempo based classes like hunter. Within the AOE category, it's not even close.

Your loot hoarder example actually isn't that clear one way or the other. I think yes 2/1 is better, but that is because it's deathrattle and you actually want it to die. Novice engineer used to be 1/2 and used to be played in nearly every deck, whereas loot hoarder rarely saw play by comparison. 1 health novice engineer sees almost zero play. It's not just a preference to use higher health minions, it's a result of the strength of high health.

I haven't ignored the mana difference. I have accounted for them in my valuation of each card. They both are 1 mana short of hitting their cost when they don't hit something, and they're both 1 mana ahead. From the start I pointed out that sensei is 1 mana more expensive, but it is made up for by the better stat allocation. 5 mana 4/5 > 4 mana 4/3 imo, and it's not even a small difference. 3 health is just much much easier to deal with, while 5 health is much more difficult.

Pooya

With the way they're budgeting Jade Golem value, I don't think a 1 mana battlecry minion is on the cards. 3 more rogue cards are left, we'll see very soon. I think the 2 drop is cheapest one in the set.

I can accept these niche cards. Sometimes you'll get it off discover and you'll be like... holy shit I can play n'zoth twice.

This one feels uninspired though. Maybe they print a fandral type synergy card for combo. There is one rogue card left to be shown. It could make this card make a bit more sense.

Pooya

The first one isn't very useful if you think about it unless it's a battlecry with a permanent effect, even then it's not amazing value or anything like that, it would be good though with all those combo minions like the panda rider and so on.

The second one can be used for lots of burst which they obviously don't want the class to have any more of.

4 mana 3/5

Your Combo cards can be activated whenever.

3 mana 2/4

Your Combos trigger twice.

I'm thinking more like a card that is buffed in hand/deck when you play a combo card. Or something dumb like combo from below, with stealth of course.

Adrenaline rush 5 mana
Draw 2 cards plus 1 card for each combo activated this game.

Pooya

If you want to build a new rogue deck, one that is minion based, it needs a new drawing engine.

here. 3 mana 2/2 stealth. whenever you summon a minion, draw a card.

new rogue archetype, done.

zoukka

Damn that beast buffer is bad.

That rogue 2-drop could be playable depending on what kind of battlecries we get, obviously it has synergy with jade minions.

Dahbomb

If you want to build a new rogue deck, one that is minion based, it needs a new drawing engine.

here. 3 mana 2/2 stealth. whenever you summon a minion, draw a card.

new rogue archetype, done.
You can make whatever archetype you want if you print blatantly broken cards.

Pooya

You can make whatever archetype you want if you print blatantly broken cards.

That's exactly how every archetype works in this game, the reason to play that deck is usually a broken concept. You want to do something strong not just play vanilla curve minions.
That's true every for existing meta deck since forever. If you want something new to break into the game, it needs to be extremely powerful in its own way, otherwise you just play the existing broken thing.

With your "balanced" mindset, nothing in this game would exist.

Szadek

Rogues are definently the losers of the set.
Only 3 cards left and the best card so far is the freaking coin.

Combo is such cool mechanic, but apperently blizzard hates it.
Seriously, the last good combo card we got was in GV fucking G.

zoukka

That's exactly how every archetype works in this game, the reason to play that deck is usually a broken concept. You want to do something strong not just play vanilla curve minions.
That's true every for existing meta deck since forever. If you want something new to break into the game, it needs to be extremely powerful in its own way, otherwise you just play the existing broken thing.

With your "balanced" mindset, nothing in this game would exist.

Midrange shaman doesn't consist of one or two broken cards, but a critical mass of cards with great synergy.

Dahbomb

You are suggesting that Blizzard print a broken card that promotes Zoo style archetype for Rogue. Play a broken card then play a bunch of Southseas, Buccaneers and whatever else 1 drops and cycle through your deck while filling out the curve and hitting face.

That's neither interesting nor class defining. It's boring and annoying to deal with... the stuff that eventually gets nerfed and people go back to complaining about Blizzard nerfing cards.

If we are asking for blatantly overpowered cards to promote an archetype then I got one for Rogue:

6 mana 6/6 Epic Rogue Minion

Battlecry: Deal 5 damage to the opponent for every card you stole this game.

ViviOggi

Rogues are definently the losers of the set.
Only 3 cards left and the best card so far is the freaking coin.

Combo is such cool mechanic, but apperently blizzard hates it.
Seriously, the last good combo card we got was in GV fucking G.
Rogue has been the loser of every set

Szadek

I'll fight you on that rogue at least has a viable archetype benefiting from new cards contrary to paladin.
Aggro Paladins seems to have a good chance at becoming a decent deck, but yeah control is fucked.
They got like what, 1 anti aggro class cards and maybe a few neutrals?
We have already seens 4 neutral and 3 fraction legendaries, which means only neutral 3-4 legendaries are left.

Pooya

Why make all those 1 drops for rogue then?

Rogue is in a position where aggro is the direction it's going to take. What you think coin will actually do?
It's for all in aggro deck that wins in 4-5 turns, it's not for miracle the way you're used to see.

Look at their pirate rogue deck in blizzcon, it's not a good deck right now but you can actually see what they are trying with the class. It's the direction Blizzard is pushing the class to with no board control/no heal card, I think we will be there sometime next year.

Some lists right now in top legend don't even have gadgetzan, it's all in conceal strat. Amnesiac plays it quite a bit. It's quite appropriate for the class flavor actually.

Coin is most definitely for Miracle Rogue. Coin Tomb Pillager is one of the strongest plays for rogue right now. Coin is going to be huge for rogue.
Aggro Paladins seems to have a good chance at becoming a decent deck, but yeah control is fucked.
They got like what, 1 anti aggro class cards and maybe a few neutrals?
We have already seens 4 neutral and 3 fraction legendaries, which means only neutral 3-4 legendaries are left.

I'm counting the legendary and the 1 drop deathrattle. Maybe Dirty Rat as well.

My disdain for aggro paladin is possibly clouding my judgement. Buffadin might replace aggro paladin since the requirements are so different.

Q8D3vil

they didnt reveal any high cost neutral legendaries yet, i think they are hiding few good cards (similar to the old gods last expansion) for the upcoming stream.

zoukka

Why make all those 1 drops for rogue then?

Rogue is in a position where aggro is the direction it's going to take. What you think coin will actually do?
It's for all in aggro deck that wins in 4-5 turns, it's not for miracle the way you're used to see.

Look at their pirate rogue deck in blizzcon, it's not a good deck right now but you can actually see what they are trying with the class. It's the direction Blizzard is pushing the class to with no board control/no heal card, I think we will be there sometime next year.

Some lists right now in top legend don't even have gadgetzan, it's all in conceal strat. Amnesiac plays it quite a bit. It's quite appropriate for the class flavor actually.

Most rogue decks are malygos decks still. Miracle is still a viable archetype and the best out of all rogue lists.

Would be a damn shame if blizz wanted to scrap that archetype.

And no, the new coin won't fit into a pirate aggro rogue or whatever.

Pooya

Well, I consider those questing rogue decks as aggro. They are sure as hell not combo, lol.

Malygos is over after Emperor and Tomb Pillager rotate out, coin isn't going to help that deck.

While people have bitched about Priest for a while, Rogue has been the worst class in the game since TgT IMO.

Uhh, no.

Miracle Rogue is a very good deck and reasonably prevalent on ladder.

If we're talking about the present, Paladin and Priest are probably both worse. I'd almost put Druid below them at this point as well.

Pooya

I was playing oil rogue in the secret paly meta and I was having quite a blast, worst class? I didn't care, it was pretty good, I was getting legend quite easily with it. Since standard though? yeah, even if it's not the worst it's no where as fun.

You used to actually do powerful things, now it's just a struggle, too much effort for a single win when other decks win way more easily with far less effort involved. And when you win, it's not even satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom