• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Based on what I've seen it looks like there might be a chance to see a real rock/paper/scissors meta develop. All kinds of decks are getting strong tools.

There are some just insanely strong looking cards for aggro (see Patches the Pirate, this 1/2 for 1 guy, a few others), Reno-style (Kazakus, Raza), and anti-control cards (Every Jade Golem ever).

It feels like classic control decks are going to be hard pressed to stand up to anything if the Jade Golem classes have viable decks. And then those Jade decks will have lots of trouble with the tide of pirate/aggro, which should lose to a well-tuned version of Reno/Kazakus.

It's the first time in a while where I can see multiple deck types actually being good. Except for Beast Druid. Blizzard, stop making Beast Druid a thing. It isn't going to be a thing.

Levi

Banned
Zoo will never not be good. Even with its one of its best counter Midrange Shaman out there, Zoolock put in work at tournaments and online.

I think zoo is decent vs Shaman and one of the best decks in the current meta. The way Shaman wins, though, is by drawing into their AOE early (storm/maelstrom).

I can't predict the new meta but if all these AOE cards end up being used zoo isn't going to be as consistent. I'm sure it'll still be a deck that can win games, but will it be tier 1 or 2?

That's why I wanted to grind my gold Warlock this season, since I wasn't sure there'd be any tier 1/2 Warlock decks after MSG.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think zoo is decent vs Shaman and one of the best decks in the current meta. The way Shaman wins, though, is by drawing into their AOE early (storm/maelstrom).

I can't predict the new meta but if all these AOE cards end up being used zoo isn't going to be as consistent. I'm sure it'll still be a deck that can win games, but will it be tier 1 or 2?

That's why I wanted to grind my gold Warlock this season, since I wasn't sure there'd be any tier 1/2 Warlock decks after MSG.

I think Reno should be pretty solid. Though I'm pretty underwhelmed with their legendary which is a shame since Raza and Solia are easy includes to that type of deck.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'm so looking forward to playing these big bodied Jade Golems.

Think the only thing I'd need to craft are the Aya and the Druid Legendary for it.

Otnopolit

For me tech cards are only worthy on tournament settings where you have some grasp on against what are you playing. And a sideboard

Exception for this are cards like harrison jones since you already have a big chance of playing against a class that use weapons

I agree with Harrison being autoinclude, but that's an issue with tech cards: you want them to be best when used against specific archetypes, if they're too weak, they're not going in at all. If your deck is weak to aggro, you put in a hogrider (or something). Harrison is fine because you can only have one, and he's well stated.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm suprised at how much people are saying Shadow Rager is complete shit. I think in Arena its a solid draft choice.

I'm suprised at how much people are saying Shadow Rager is complete shit. I think in Arena its a solid draft choice.

I think it's okay. It's acceptable against most AOE if you're not over-committing it. Could add a level of consistency to a stealth rogue's game plan though. You can run 5 stealthed minions in the 3 drop slot. And turn 4 you have the buff minion iirc.

It's probably not competitive good.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm hoping Blizard makes the Ragers an actual tribe, and prints some tribal synergies for it. I look forward to a future with tier 3 wild rager decks.

gutshot

Dahbomb and I will be starting our card review stream within the next 15 minutes or so!

https://www.twitch.tv/zealousdemon

Are you keeping track of these card ratings you and Dahbomb are giving out? I'd love to have a spreadsheet of them. Maybe even have it so other Hearthstone-GAF members can add their own scores? We could then have an aggregate of each card's score and a nice way of comparing who was right on a card and who was wrong.

When considering arena you have to ask "is it good against mage?"

The answer is no.

People also need to remember the golden rule for constructed for other cards. If your review of a card has an "if" in it the card is too slow.

The only real question in my mind is if aggro paladin will be as good as aggro hunter. You would think not, but people forget how broken divine favor is especially when people are banking on slow ass reno decks or waiting for jade golems.

sibarraz

Banned
Overall I like this expansion, it feels like Team 5 was thinking as a maker of competitive TCG rather than makers of youtube meme videos

Except for shadow rager, I think that being 5/2 would have been way better, since jungle panther is an ok card

Hmm, can I name 5 legendaries that excite me?

#1 is definitely Raza the Chained. That card might be the final key to making Shadowpriest work, which has been a fantasy of mine since I started playing.

#2 is Patches - I just love value cards like this. Lots of little free 1/1s running around sounds great.

#3 is Shaku - I like stealth minions, and Rogue is definitely top 2 in classes that can protect a minion for multiple hits.

Nothing stands out for 4 and 5. Kazakus requires a Reno deck, which I'm "eh" on outside of maybe Reno Shadowpriest. White Eyes is a must-have, but not interesting. My hunch is that none of the Reno replacements will see play in Standard after Reno rotates out. The effects are very weak compared to what Reno offered.

I will have enough gold for at least 30 packs when the expansion drops, which will be enough to get all of the commons and rares I suppose. Pre-ordering Old Gods was a huge waste of money, unfortunately.

Anybody know exactly how ranked rewards are generated? I'm curious to find out if I have a chance to get new cards in the chest if I wait until after Gadgetzan's release to open it.

Curious about this as well, probably going to wait and open my chest later in the day just to be safe.

Mulgrok

Weasel tunneler in hand buff decks. It lowers your opponent's draw consistency and won't have the hand buff bonuses for them.

NBtoaster

Having so many very situational cards is healthy for tournament play, but might have less of an effect on ladder. It could encourage less netdecking because you have so many choices of tech cards to address matchups you hate.

Having so many very situational cards is healthy for tournament play, but might have less of an effect on ladder. It could encourage less netdecking because you have so many choices of tech cards to address matchups you hate.

I want to believe that, but they apparently chose not to put a healbot type card in again. There should really be multiple strong healing options in the neutral set to help give more deck building options.

I mean, they added a heal face card... but it's a 2/3... and heals only 1 (per turn). Maybe if it was like a 4/5 5 mana that healed 3-4 per turn or something.

Hm i don't know, i mean it's like a spell damage+ minion shows all spells who will benefit from it in your opponents hand with a sparkle.

I'd also add that part of the appeal of the goons is your opponent not knowing how many minions were buffed.

It's like bluffing in poker. Nobody would play if all face cards had a different card back. I mean say I got 4 spells in my opening hand. No way am I playing a goon because my opponent will know that I completely missed on my mulligans. You won't be able force anyone to play around anything in those kind of situations.

I want to believe that, but they apparently chose not to put a healbot type card in again. There should really be multiple strong healing options in the neutral set to help give more deck building options.

I mean, they added a heal face card... but it's a 2/3... and heals only 1 (per turn). Maybe if it was like a 4/5 5 mana that healed 3-4 per turn or something.

neutral heals are bullshit because armor is so much better than heals

jgminto

Reached Rank 5 with Malyrogue, feels good after the total disaster I had last season. Seemed like there were a lot of weird decks even up into the sub-10 ranks.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'd also add that part of the appeal of the goons is your opponent not knowing how many minions were buffed.

It's like bluffing in poker. Nobody would play if all face cards had a different card back. I mean say I got 4 spells in my opening hand. No way am I playing a goon because my opponent will know that I completely missed on my mulligans. You won't be able force anyone to play around anything in those kind of situations.

Well at least this is the first set in a while that has a number of strong and useful neutrals. So they seem to be learning somewhat.

But also weighed a bit different than healing. Healing generally gives more health for the same cost as armor. For example, that c'thun warrior card gives 10 armor as does the c'thun healing card for priest. But the armor one is 7 mana 6/6, and the priest one is a 6 mana 6/5. You basically pay 1 mana more for 1 hp. It's only like 2-3 armor difference if it were the same price, but for classes that can't use armor the way warrior can, it's only worth it for alexstrasza and decks that can hit for 30 in a single turn.

Greater Healing Potion should have been a rogue card. It's technically a potion and not a spell! And rogue's could use potions!

BTW, I think priest got more than I expected it to. Not that it lacked healing, but that just seems really strong.

Pooya

It's really dumb hand buff gives hand information to your opponent, specially with paladin, they can tell if you have a spell or not, or how many spells. Was that really necessary when they give no info whatsoever for randomly generated cards.

You can make a rogue deck with all pirates as the minions now... pretty cool.

Damn, even the class 6 drop they got is a pirate. I am surprised, I completely expected that to not be a pirate. 6 mana 9/9 could be pretty good lol

example

Only van cleef is not a pirate.

I like it, control can't just sit back and deal with threats, they actually have to try to win the game.

Hah, that's what I said... removal warrior specifically

jgminto

I don't think Control decks are auto-loss against Jade Golems but it does force them to shift towards a more aggressive game plan, whether that's building a board or a burst finisher. Druid is still the worst class in the game when it comes to efficient larger minion removal so if you can generate some sizeable threats before they can fire up their Jade Machine I think you'll have a good chance of winning.

Are you keeping track of these card ratings you and Dahbomb are giving out? I'd love to have a spreadsheet of them. Maybe even have it so other Hearthstone-GAF members can add their own scores? We could then have an aggregate of each card's score and a nice way of comparing who was right on a card and who was wrong.

I'd be pretty interested in this if someone wanted to set it up and we could agree on a rating system.

Umm, sure they remove minions. Usually with AOEs or doomsayer, sometimes you force them to use heavier direct damage too. I've beaten plenty of freeze mages with minion pressure they can't deal with.

I'm not saying you can't beat freeze but ideally they don't need to spend removal. Jade Golem needs to ramp up quickly enough the freeze mage can't just freeze the board for 2 or so turns and win from there.

My preferred way to beat freezemage is aldor alex then forbidden healing for 14

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Freeze Mage could still have a hard time against jade golem druid thanks to moonglade portals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom