• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

I have like 0 percent win rate against pirate warrior, they always have the nuts. To think this non sense is getting buffed on top. fun and interactive.

At least the matches are decided quick unlike with the hopeless grind against midrange shaman.

Small time buccaneer will be the new cancer meta.

patchday

Played almost 0 constructed Hearthstone this month. At rank 17.

Not a single fcuk given. Marvel 4 incoming.

I think something like that should be normal. I believe people that push for rank 5 are the exception. My friends and I tend to park around 15 or slightly above but we all play a lot of different games (only my one buddy would push for Legendary and he slowed down dramatically lately). I try to go as far as I can in one or two play sessions on standard ladder.

Yall would probably hate me if I ever pushed for Legendary I'd be so smug

edit- example of games I've been playing if anyone cares: HoTS for Genji special/coop, Endless Legend, and recently CoD IW for the SP campaign

Btw, I always logon to clear my quest log. I am a hamster trapped on the wheel with no plan to get off. So I play a lot of janky decks in Casual for fun.

Szadek

Yeah, pirats are going to ruin everything.
If you want to play a slower deck, you better run many anti aggro cards.

I think silence is going to be useful during the first few days, since many people are going to play goons.

Peléo

I don't even really know what I want to try with the expansion. The Goons on paper look like the most consistent and powerful midrange/aggro deck type, but also looks really boring. Maybe I'll play some Reno decks, or try to toss together a Pirate Deck.

I think Goons will be actually challenging and interesting to play, since ordering cards will be relevant to the deck. Similarly to Discard-Lock, where you have to manage your hand to increase your chances of hitting the right cards. The fact your opponent has some information about your cards also enhances the mind games factor of the game.

I would say Grimy Goons are probably less linear to play than Jade Lotus, where you end up just playing cards that summon Jade Lotus on curve. Deck building is a whole other story though.

Peléo;225640623 said:
I think Goons will be actually challenging and interesting to play, since ordering cards will be relevant to the deck. Similarly to Discard-Lock, where you have to manage your hand to increase your chances of hitting the right cards. The fact your opponent has some information about your cards also enhances the mind games factor of the game.

I would say Grimy Goons are probably less linear to play than Jade Lotus, where you end up just playing cards that summon Jade Lotus on curve. Deck building is a whole other story though.

Discardlock isn't particularly interesting to play, you narrow it down as much as possible and then either tilt yourself or the opponent.

patchday

I have like 0 percent win rate against pirate warrior, they always have the nuts. To think this non sense is getting buffed on top. fun and interactive.

I dunno I might prefer getting ran over by Pirates to Control Warrior.

I personally loved fighting Shaman on Ladder since the outcome would be decided rather fast.

Now I hate fighting Shaman in Casual cause I'm not really teched against much of anything there. makes it hard to have fun when you have to face a netdeck that goes face with 477 and/or Bloodlust

Shinypogs

On one hand Alleycat is cute as heck and summons a friend, meaning one might survive an early arcane missiles and it's unlikely to be the target of a weapon since that doesn't clear the problem. In the other hand fiery bat has been fairly reliable for me in trading against 3 health minions and even when when it dies without doing dmg to a minion or face I get a little damage after. Plus bat makes a scarier houndmaster target. I'm not sure I'd swap bat for cat in my current deck but if I end up playing a less secret oriented deck and switching back to more minion centric I'm sure it will have a place alongside it's flaming animal brethren.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are you keeping track of these card ratings you and Dahbomb are giving out? I'd love to have a spreadsheet of them. Maybe even have it so other Hearthstone-GAF members can add their own scores? We could then have an aggregate of each card's score and a nice way of comparing who was right on a card and who was wrong.

I'd be pretty interested in this if someone wanted to set it up and we could agree on a rating system.

I'm gonna work on something like this today. I was just going to go with ZealousD's 5 star rating system, unless someone has a better idea?

Here's the quick and dirty spreadsheet that I was building last night. I don't have all the cards in here yet. We still have to review the 6 classes represented by the Kabal and Jade Lotus.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SMzrdUuM88LEK2y9SAmP0x5WOAitVz9-vbN9puHj-uk/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: The names of all the cards in the order as they will appear on stream is now included.

Levi

Banned
I regret every game I spent ever doing quests in casual. :( I have enough wins on my account for 8/9 Golden Heroes yet I actually have only unlocked 3. To be fair, I still play my golden hero classes quite a bit, but I'm sure I'd have at least a couple more unlocked if I hadn't wasted so much time in casual.

As far as ranked chests, the difference between 15 and 10 is a single golden common, so going from 15 to 10 doesn't make too much of an impact. I usually stop at 15 on my Asia and EU accounts.

From Reddit: Pack opening simulator. If I'm as lucky IRL as I was on the simulator, I'm gonna be the happiest Hearthstone player in Gadgetzan.

https://speedodevo.github.io/packr/

What are your opinions of Rogue? Anyone think it can play any non-miracle style decks? Iksar thinks that Jade Rogue is probably the "scariest" Jade archetype of the 3 Jade classes. He also thought C'thun rogue was good, so I'm taking that with a HUGE pile of salt. I feel aggro rogue will be good thanks to that neutral pirate, but I think aggro warrior will be better. Warrior just has better weapons, survivability, and burst as well.

I feel like they still haven't addressed rogue's fundamental problems: lack of healing, and no reliable board clears (spell power + fan is so unreliable). It's the reason why they get shafted by hunter/shaman so much. All you really need to do against rogue is just flood the board, hit face, and you auto win. So often rogue just fails to draw any of its good early tempo cards, and you just lose. I remember having a double coin + double prep hand once. I proceeded to do the good old prep + coin + concede play.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What are your opinions of Rogue? Anyone think it can play any non-miracle style decks? Iksar thinks that Jade Rogue is probably the "scariest" Jade archetype of the 3 Jade classes. He also thought C'thun rogue was good, so I'm taking that with a HUGE pile of salt. I feel aggro rogue will be good thanks to that neutral pirate, but I think aggro warrior will be better. Warrior just has better weapons, survivability, and burst as well.

I feel like they still haven't addressed rogue's fundamental problems: lack of healing, and no reliable board clears (spell power + fan is so unreliable). It's the reason why they get shafted by hunter/shaman so much. All you really need to do against rogue is just flood the board, hit face, and you auto win. So often rogue just fails to draw any of its good early tempo cards, and you just lose. I remember having a double coin + double prep hand once. I proceeded to do the good old prep + coin + concede play.
Actually that's one of Rogue's traits according to one of the game designers: No heal and weak AoE.

The lack of heal really limits Rogue weapon usage, the big difference with Hunter (The only non healin' weapon class beside rogue) is that Rogue takes damage on most of the cases.
tl;dr:
-Takes damage using hero power
-No healin'/armor

Makes very hard to use weapons ... specially since it hasnt any good weapon besides maybe Assassin's Blade (?)

Levi

Banned
As much it might make me unpopular, I'm with Blizzard when it comes to Rogue. It's a good thing that they don't want all the classes to feel and play the same.

They may not always be up to the challenge of balancing 9 classes that all "feel" different, but it's a worthy goal.

so i got this quest to play 75 battlecry minions

just picked warlock and have 30 minions that are 1 and 2 mana and just said "eh i'll tap and spam 1 and 2 drops to finish the quest"

i'm 3-0

this is not even an optimized zoo deck ffs. just any minion with battlecry on it and i'm rolling.

I did the same with a use 10 weapons quest. I put every Warrior weapon in a deck with a few minions and spells that buff them and went 4-0 and fulfilled the quest pretty easily. Even cursed blade did some damage.

Actually that's one of Rogue's traits according to one of the game designers: No heal and weak AoE.

The lack of heal really limits Rogue weapon usage, the big difference with Hunter (The only non healin' weapon class beside rogue) is that Rogue takes damage on most of the cases.
tl;dr:
-Takes damage using hero power
-No healin'/armor

Makes very hard to use weapons ... specially since it hasnt any good weapon besides maybe Assassin's Blade (?)

Agreed. And that's really what makes that blade flurry nerf so frustrating. I can understand why they won't provide any healing cards, but board clears? How do they expect rogue to survive when the very nature of their hero power propels them to use their life as a resource? There's only so many times you can keep clearing minions (and losing life) before you eventually get destroyed by Kill Command, Mage Burn, and Shamanigans.

The worst part in all of this is that "design space" bull crap they gave as a justification for nerfing blade flurry. In the end, they haven't printed a single decent weapon, or weapon buff since Tinker's Oil to justify the nerf. All we got was a crappy poisoned blade, an overcosted "conditional" war axe, and 0 weapon buffs (that 4 mana 4/4 squid is so freaking bad).

Iksar also mentioned that the future of rogue is probably in strong single target removal and card draw. The thing is, they gave us none of that in Mean Streets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also confused as to why they only gave rogue 2 Jade cards, instead of 3 (like druid and shaman). What's the reasoning on this? They could have just NOT printed that terrible Shadow Rager and given us another Jade card. I can't understand Blizzard's design philosophy sometimes.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Iksar also mentioned that the future of rogue is probably in strong single target removal and card draw. The thing is, they gave us none of that in Mean Streets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be fair t Iksar, he did say "the future" not the present, so im sure that Rogue will get good cards on the next expansion/adventure.

I mean, Shaman was low tier and Blizz gave it super good cards, same with Priest.
So yeah, Rogue will get good cards in the next expansion/Adventure.

Let's not forget that cards take time to be designed, tested and balanced.

bjaelke

Finished my initial list of cards to craft golden versions of.

I Know A Guy (Common)
Kabal Chemist (Common)
Drakonid Operative (Rare)
Lotus Agent (Rare)
Kabal Courier (Rare)
Grimestreet Informant (Rare)
Manic Soulcaster (Epic)
Shaku (Legendary)
Kazakus (Legendary)
And obviously Auctioneer Beardo (Legendary).

Should be just shy of 20k dust granted I don't get any from the packs I have lined up.
Feel like rogue needs another sap effect
636156289553393287.png

Shinypogs

I unpacked Edwin in my welcome bundle like two days ago and even that won't motivate me to play rogue. Miracle rogue looks sweet even when I lose to it but I think I'd spend more games then not getting upset because I was one card/turn away from my win condition or something. I'd rather lose and know it's mostly my fault then have to hope for a best case every game and lose through mainly no fault of my own. I can't improve on luck you know.

Please note that I'm still pretty much bad at the game topping out at rank 15-13 most months so my following statement could be completely off base.

I would guess as someone who plays the other weapon using no heal class that the reason we do so much better is our minions. You really can't leave even a tiny beast on the board or it's going to get buffed or be used to hit you with kill command. We also don't have to combo to buff and get taunt. While we can still die to burst it tends to only happen ( in my admittedly limited experience) if they can get the job done in one go because the amount of spells used to kill from 18-20ish health means they were holding back on dealing with my beasts and should be close to death themselves. It just feels like it's safer to take some face damage as a hunter for board control because at some point they have to address my board. Short of auctioneer, Edwin and azure drakes I'm largely unconcerned by whatever a rogue has on the board.

Mind you I play a deck that's heavy in secrets without being proper secret hunter due to lacking some cards. So the fact that the amount of beasts I play is enough to give me the results it does should mean that beast heavy decks are even more brokenly good at redirecting your opponents focus.

That said I have no idea what kind of minions you could safely give rogue to act as dmg soaking threats that their class cards don't make brokenly good by repeating battlecries via shadowstep, gangups etc etc.

Szadek

I would say the 10 best Legendaries of the set are:
Patches the Pirate ( Auto-include in very pirate deck)
Kazakus (Should be very strong. At the very least it's going to be a ton of fun)
Aya Blackpaw ( can easily be as strong as Highmane and makes your other golem cards better)
Wrathion ( I would be surprised if this isn't an Auto-include in dragon decks)
Raza the Chained (Very strong effect, makes Beardo playable and buff Paletress by a lot)
Inkmaster Solia ( A very spell for the class with the best spells? Should be very strong, could make Rafaam playable)
White Eyes (Extremely strong in control, probably strong enough for midrange,too)
Wickerflame Burnbristle ( Can easily save your life against aggro, might be good enough for goons)
Kun the Forgotten King (Either a 0 mana 7/7 or a mega shieldmaiden, both if you somehow have fandral on the board)
Don Han'Cho (Not really sold on this one yet, since I don't have a good picture of what goon decks are going to look like, but could be very powerful)

Also,I think Mayor Noggenfogger is slight better than he looks at first glance.
His effect really fucks with any kind of combo deck.
Having said that, he stats are most likely too weak.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't know how good patches is. I mean sure he is an auto include. But still doesn't seem that strong.

Does he proc bloodsail cultist if bloodsail cultist pulls him?

Levi

Banned
I think my day one decks are going to be Grimy Warrior / Golem Druid / Reno Mage / Dragon Priest. I don't expect to climb since I'm going to be shoved into the same match-making pool as all the tryhards trying to get Legend ASAP, so I'm just gonna experiment for most/all of this season.

Everyone's doing "best legendaries" list but which ones do we think are the absolute worst? Who are the Boogeymonsters we should cry if we get in our day one packs?

For me, I want to avoid:

Auctionmaster Beardo
Finja
Shaku

Although I wouldn't be that sad if I did end up with any of those. The legendary pool seems pretty strong this expansion.

Dahbomb

Here's my Day 1 Golem Druid.

I tried to make this as anti aggro possible as with the heals and early game spells. I feel like this deck is only going to lose to aggro/Zoo. I threw in one Lotus Agent to see how it works, maybe get a possible board clear from Shaman or a cheap removal spell from Rogue.

There's only one Jade Idol in there because you only need one Jade Idol. I treat it as a tech card that by itself wins the control match up.

Szadek

I don't know how good patches is. I mean sure he is an auto include. But still doesn't seem that strong.

80-90% you get a free 1/1 with charge that will probably deal 2-3 damage before it dies.
It also means that you are basically playing an 29 card deck.

Imagine if you could put a card in your deck that gave you a free 1 damage ping every time you played a minion - like a Flamewaker for minions, but permanent. That's kind of what Patches is. Personally, I plan on running Patches in a Gang Up deck. Every Pirate I play I get three 1/1 charge minions. :-O

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Based on the text on Patches and the Bloodsail Cultist, I would guess that he doesn't count for that. Patches says "after you play a Pirate summon this minion from your deck", and Bloodsail Cultist says "if you control another pirate...". Based on that wording, I would think Patches will jump out after the battlecry has completed and the "playing" of the minion is completed. So you wouldn't be able to play Cultist on an empty board and get the bonus. That's my take anyhow. We will have to see.

wiibomb

why do you guys see patches so good? I though that card was kinda useless, even more by the legendary tag.. I mean, a 1/1 with charge won't change much, will it?

Clearly gonna run Maly rogue first. Only switching 4 or so cards, haven't been able to find any other jade golem cards other than shuriken worth running.
Really interest to see how the tri class discover cards are
They seem pretty powerful

I'm tempted to run one in Nzoth pally because druid and warrior spells are so much more powerful than pally's
why do you guys see patches so good? I though that card was kinda useless, even more by the legendary tag.. I mean, a 1/1 with charge won't change much, will it?

he's a guaranteed 1 or 2 damage at next to no opportunity cost, you're essentially playing a 29 card deck with him better even. For an all in aggro deck that's incredible value.

Dahbomb

It makes your first Pirate drop broken and it gives you a 29 deck to start out with which increases draw consistency.

It's broken in Pirate decks.

Levi

Banned

A charge minion that most of the time will thin your deck and doesn't cost you any mana to summon it? Pretty good.

Good thing there is a whole faction based around buffing cards.

Is 1 mana that can get buffed by things like don hancho

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's my Day 1 Golem Druid.

I tried to make this as anti aggro possible as with the heals and early game spells. I feel like this deck is only going to lose to aggro/Zoo. I threw in one Lotus Agent to see how it works, maybe get a possible board clear from Shaman or a cheap removal spell from Rogue.

There's only one Jade Idol in there because you only need one Jade Idol. I treat it as a tech card that by itself wins the control match up.

I am not convinced that the Jade Golem deck is anything but anti-control and anti-Reno. I think both aggro AND midrange can race it down before it gets into the late game with Jade Golems.

Szadek

Would you play a 0 mana 1/1 charge battlecry: draw 1 card?
Yes, yes you would. That's kind of what patches does.

Dahbomb

I am not convinced that the Jade Golem deck is anything but anti-control and anti-Reno. I think both aggro AND midrange can race it down before it gets into the late game with Jade Golems.
You can start pumping out Golems in the mid game. You don't need the golems to be massive 10/10s to win games, you need them to be 3/3 or higher and that's doable in the mid game.

Remember that after 2 uses, these Golem cards are really good. Only your first Golem card is "bad", everything after that ranges from decent to broken.

I think you can win against Midrange decks with this as well. A lot of this decks works very similar to Maly Druid where you will just win because you have some nuts Fandral combo or Innervate combo.

wiibomb

Good thing there is a whole faction based around buffing cards.

Is 1 mana that can get buffed by things like don hancho

most of the time the card will be in a pirate deck with not so much synergies with buffs, and in case of a buff synergy deck, it might be just better to use a different charge, like bluegill.

it can be useful in a pirate deck, I don't think it can be used outside there.

I guess I'll see how it end up, but I'm not so sure yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom