• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

I think Golems should work pretty well in Ramp druid and Control Shaman, since the can stall the game until the jade card get really good.
Rogue strikes me as too fragile.

Frandral plus jade idol is amazing.

i don't think jade golem will be strong on its own but combined with something like maly druid it could be great because you can generate more threats.

Jade golems + arcane giants is going to be hard to deal with

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
why do you guys see patches so good? I though that card was kinda useless, even more by the legendary tag.. I mean, a 1/1 with charge won't change much, will it?

Consider how much worse Babbling Book would be if there was no 1/1 body attached. Consider how much more powerful Possessed Villager is over Wisp.

Now, add that difference to the first pirate you play every game.

Every little advantage you can get in the early game matters.

Dahbomb

Put it another way...

Imagine if you played Hunter and every time you played a minion/beast at the start it came with Stonetusk Boar for free and thinned your deck.

Play Alley Cat, get 3 1/1s with Beast tag on board and one of them has charge to hit for 1 attack.

Sounds broken? Why yes it is.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Put it another way...

Imagine if you played Hunter and every time you played a minion/beast at the start it came with Stonetusk Boar for free and thinned your deck.

Play Alley Cat, get 3 1/1s with Beast tag on board and one of them has charge to hit for 1 attack.

It's broken if it happens every time you play a beast.

It's strong if it happens once.

ZealousD

Put it another way...

You're a Warrior and you play N'Zoth's First Mate.

You just played a 1 mana Muster for Battle minus a 1/1 and a single weapon charge.

wiibomb

yeah I see the point..

and realizing how crucial the early game is in HS, I can see how 2 good bodies can put just too much pressure on the early game to take a toll on the opponent by removing them somehow.

gutshot

This is what I've settled on for the 5-point rating scale for our community card rating. I believe it is similar to the scale that ZealousD and Dahbomb are using in their reviews.

1 = Bad card. This card will never see any play in constructed decks.
2 = OK card. This card might see some fringe play in constructed, but will never be a staple.
3 = Good card. This card will likely see some constructed play in certain decks and certain metas.
4 = Great card. This card will definitely see play in constructed. It will be an important card in some top tier decks.
5 = Amazing card. This card is meta-defining and will remain so until it rotates out of Standard (or gets nerfed).

I've decided to make the rating constructed only since Arena is a different beast. Most people here are constructed-only players anyway. If we want to rate these cards in Arena, we could do a separate spreadsheet.

Thoughts? Changes?

speaken of somehwat broken

636143043314098114.png

going to be some great salt when it pulls a rag out

Dahbomb

This is what I've settled on for the 5-point rating scale for our community card rating. I believe it is similar to the scale that ZealousD and Dahbomb are using in their reviews.

Thoughts? Changes?

We generally have 3 as an average card (ie. playable but not that great or garbage). 3 is also the "tech card and very good in Arena' category. This is generally a card that is right on the power curve in terms of mathematics even if it sees no constructed play.

2 is below average card even when looking at it mathematically. Fringe playability.

1 is garbage tier.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

We talked about this when it was revealed, but here's my take. No one should ever be playing Dirty Rat on curve. The card is anti-aggro tech, so you can play it against say.. Pirate Warror/Rogue and not feel bad because chances are it summons some weak minion and who cares you got a sweet taunt. So it's fine against aggro that really don't run anything over like 5 mana anyhow. This is the ideal play. You also can be pretty happy that you can dodge things like Barnes' battlecry and whatnot. Not so bad overall.

Against any other deck though (Midrange or Control), you have to be very careful with it and save it till late game most likely. You can use it to force out their threats (like Rag, Totem buff guy, Tirion, etc) on turns when you have the ability to remove them. So you take their big guy from their hand and immediately kill it (SW:D, Polymorph, whathaveyou). A great tempo swing for you, and you remove a big threat for them.

So those are the ideal plays, but if you get the wrong read on a deck in the first turn ort two and play it vs a midrange deck that has late game minions or any deck that happened to draw on curve, you have a chance of just losing the game immediately to it pulling something like Ragnaros on turn 2. The chance just isn't worth it, so I think you never play this card on turn 2. You play it on 3-4 or late game after you know what you are dealing with.

ZealousD

We generally have 3 as an average card (ie. playable but not that great or garbage). 3 is also the "tech card and very good in Arena' category. This is generally a card that is right on the power curve in terms of mathematics even if it sees no constructed play.

2 is below average card even when looking at it mathematically. Fringe playability.

1 is garbage tier.

Yeah, gutshot I think your appraisal of our scale is more optimistic than the way we were using it.

A 3 is average by the standard of the entire card pool. A 3 might see some constructed play but it also might see no play at all. Something like Chillwind Yeti is a 3 but sees no Constructed play right now, except in decks that are not optimized (newbie decks).

The difference between a 1 and a 2 is like the difference between Ice Rager and Magma Rager. Ice Rager will never see Constructed play but it's not garbage.

gutshot

Yeah, gutshot I think your appraisal of our scale is more optimistic than the way we were using it.

A 3 is average by the standard of the entire card pool. A 3 might see some constructed play but it also might see no play at all. Something like Chillwind Yeti is a 3 but sees no Constructed play right now, except in decks that are not optimized (newbie decks).

OK, I will adjust it a bit to reflect that. Thanks!

Dahbomb

Well 3 is more like Evil Heckler now or Mechanical Yeti, the "curve" for 4 drop has been raised slightly since Basic/Classic. Yeti is now slightly below the curve.

ZealousD

Well 3 is more like Evil Heckler now or Mechanical Yeti, the "curve" for 4 drop has been raised slightly since Basic/Classic. Yeti is now slightly below the curve.

I think Evil Heckler and Mechanical Yeti are also 3's. Remember, 3 is intended to be the most common rating so it makes sense that some cards will be slightly above curve and others will be slightly below.

Levi

Banned
No.

He's going to spend $1000.

And he's going to break the record for concurrent Twitch views and make 50x that in revenue, and then he's going to write the money he spent off on his taxes as a business expense.

And I'm not criticizing, I'll be watching while he does it. Just pointing out that the EV for him of opening packs isn't the same as the rest of us.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
speaken of somehwat broken

I think the card is actually fine on curve most of the time, because most decks mulligan away their expensive cards at the start

yeah, occasionally you get blown the fuck out, but on average it should be fine

V-Faction

Speaking of Pirate decks in general, not class specific... what cards do you guys see as baseline to form the frame?

Like, clearly Patches. Clearly Small-time. What else is clear, in your opinion.

Warrior clearly. They're already running a pretty strong set of cards. Add the fiery imp + patches to the deck and it can easily become insane.

It's a perfect example of why strong neutral heals are necessary.

Plenty of healing or aggressive board control will be required to even stand a chance against pirate in the coming days.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Pirate decks in general, not class specific... what cards do you guys see as baseline to form the frame?

Like, clearly Patches. Clearly Small-time. What else is clear, in your opinion.

Depends on Warrior vs Rogue but in general:
Dread Corsair
Bloodsail Raider
Southsea Deckhand

Those are the nuetrals you will want to run along with Patches and Small-time.
Warriors add: Bloodsail Cultist & N'Zoth's First Mate
Rogues add: Swashburgler & probably Buccaneer

Then whatever other aggro cards you can find.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
with all these buffs I have the feeling Harrison will increase its play as much as Malygos did after Kharazan

Rogue not having good weapons is a counter to Harrison.
#Yomi'd

ZealousD

Vicious Syndicate has actually put up a poll for people to vote on card strength. They are also using 1-5 scale.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...uK6mPmF-DtVDhbCCywEiIvKoY6F8gDw/viewanalytics

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14TMy23niOXBSVOzvA-wUZfp5pC0ZlaobumpFjD34EoY/

As far as I can tell these are the cards they rated as 5 in the majority:

Pat Rack
Raza
Kazakus
Jade Idol
Drakonid Operator
Dragonfire Potion
Aya Blackpaw

This looks a little better than the ratings on Hearthpwn, not as crazy on ratings on cards like Devolve or Pint-Sized Potion, but still looks to have some issues with emotional bias. Gadgetzan Ferryman is hardly a 1/5.

Tavern brawl says closed for renovations... not we'll be back soon.

This looks a little better than the ratings on Hearthpwn, not as crazy on ratings on cards like Devolve or Pint-Sized Potion, but still looks to have some issues with emotional bias. Gadgetzan Ferryman is hardly a 1/5.

It's weaker than a card that hardly sees any play. If you add in the fact that it's rogue only, it's weaker than a card that sees no play in rogue. The survey needs a 0 choice.

Despite that, I still kinda like the card.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tavern brawl says closed for renovations... not we'll be back soon.

It's weaker than a card that hardly sees any play. If you add in the fact that it's rogue only, it's weaker than a card that sees no play in rogue. The survey needs a 0 choice.

Despite that, I still kinda like the card.
Well, Brawls always go up on Wednesdays so it kinda makes sense.

ZealousD

It's still a tier above most of the other cards rated 1 star. It's still a 2 mana 2/3. River Crocolisk is probably worth at least 2 stars. I also don't even think it's weaker than Youthful Brewmaster. It's more flexible. Is it good? No. But it's not "garbage" unless you get emotional.

It's still a tier above most of the other cards rated 1 star. It's still a 2 mana 2/3. River Crocolisk is probably worth at least 2 stars. I also don't even think it's weaker than Youthful Brewmaster. It's more flexible. Is it good? No. But it's not "garbage" unless you get emotional.

It's better than river crocolisk, but river crocolisk is below a 1.

We're talking about constructed. You can't be playing minions with zero text unless they're broken.

ZealousD

It's better than river crocolisk, but river crocolisk is below a 1.

We're talking about constructed. You can't be playing minions with zero text unless they're broken.

"Sees no play = 1 star" is the type of evaluation criteria that completely eliminates the distinction between cards that are kinda bad and cards that are horrible. You've completely crunched a huge range of cards into a tiny hole. When you do this, you can be completely blindsided when cards that have not been in the meta for a long time suddenly re-emerge or become relevant.

River Crocolisk saw constructed play in classic and you can put it in a newbie deck. The difference between a card like that and a card like Magma Rager is immense. You can't put those two in the same category.

wiibomb

I would totally argue that River Crocolisk is a 2, it is much more used than Magma reager, and you don't put both in the same category, it isn't as fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom