• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If I had more energy now I would search for a tourney match where the discard mattered, but whatever.

There will be instances where the discard mattered and you lose a highmane or kill command. There will be instances where the discard tossed out less important cards like fiery bat and the hunter draws closer into a kill command or highmane because of it. In the end, this is zero sum for the power of the card.

bjaelke

hs_mean_streets_review.jpg
Patches stays winning.

zoukka

There will be instances where the discard mattered and you lose a highmane or kill command. There will be instances where the discard tossed out less important cards like fiery bat and the hunter draws closer into a kill command or highmane because of it. In the end, this is zero sum for the power of the card.

If it would be zero sum, the card would be played more. Now more slower hunter lists avoid it because the downside happens too often.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Got damn the G2 team lookin' fine

Does patches gets summoned everytime you play a pirate or just the first time ?

Shinypogs

Got Leeroy out of my tavern brawl pack, a little more oomph for my zoolock deck and might as well throw it in my secret hunter deck since I lack the suggested ragnaros and he can't make the deck worse.

May also need to slot in Harrison Jones to help deal with the expected uptick in warriors who primarily want to smack me to death with pirate buffed weapons.

ZealousD

If it would be zero sum, the card would be played more. Now more slower hunter lists avoid it because the downside happens too often.

No. Slower hunter lists avoid it because even if you think of it as a 1 mana Discover that effect isn't as good as you think it is. Hence we return to the original point of discussion, which is that 1 mana Discover cards usually require some level of synergy. Raven Idol has that. Journey Below has that sometimes.

zoukka

No. Slower hunter lists avoid it because even if you think of it as a 1 mana Discover that effect isn't as good as you think it is. Hence we return to the original point of discussion, which is that 1 mana Discover cards usually require some level of synergy. Raven Idol has that. Journey Below has that sometimes.

Well we disagree and aren't going anywhere.

Let's come back to the overload card once the meta settles down :)

ZealousD

Well we disagree and aren't going anywhere.

Let's come back to the overload card once the meta settles down :)

I plan to come back to every single card in the set once the meta settles down. :)

gutshot

Watched Lifecoach's card review and it is pretty interesting. He thinks that Pirate Warrior and Dragon Priest will be the two strongest decks, by far, to come out of the expansion. He thinks Jade Golem decks will just be too slow to beat either of those decks and thus the Jade Golem mechanic won't be relevant. Same with Grimy Goons.

Dahbomb

We talking about Finders Keepers again?

The card would be busted at 1 mana no overload. It would be strictly better than any card of its kind (Taunt, Deathrattle, random minion).

Why? Because it Discovers from a much narrower field of cards. And that field consistents of generally good cards. Not all over powered mind you but good to great cards. You only have two duds in Dust Devil and Forked Lightning... and in some cases even Forked Lightning can be good.

Nor every Discover is valued the same. The narrower your pool of good cards the better the Discover is. Shaman overload cards have board clears, direct damage, removals and big bodies... stuff that are good in clutch situations.

This is obviously played in the same deck you play Lava Shock and other overloads. The 1 mana means it's easy to squeeze in between Lava Shock turns and get the refund. I am not saying this card is great, probably not even played but I feel that the card is getting improperly evaluated by having it be compared to Journey from Below and I Know a Guy.

ZealousD

Lava Burst is not good generally. Only sees play in Aggro Shaman because it's redundant burn. That's not something Midrange Shaman needs in the early or mid game. So even some of the cards that people are saying are good results from Finders Keepers are only situationally good. Which describes a lot of cards, honestly. The pool isn't really that much higher quality when you reduce it to just overload cards.

Lava Burst is not good generally. Only sees play in Aggro Shaman because it's redundant burn. That's not something Midrange Shaman needs in the early or mid game. So even some of the cards that people are saying are good results from Finders Keepers are only situationally good. Which describes a lot of cards, honestly. The pool isn't really that much higher quality when you reduce it to just overload cards.

Situationally good cards are often the best cards from discover. It forces your opponent to play around a large range of tools they otherwise would never even think of. You don't think of elemental destruction or healing from midrange shaman, until they play that card. And sometimes you won't even play around a third feral spirits, and then you just lose the game.

It's like netherspite historian in a way. I could just include ysera or nefarian in my deck and be fine. But historian sometimes lets me choose to not have those cards when I don't want them, and other times you get 3-4 legs and even a priest running double entomb can't deal with the pressure.

manhack

If I recall patches is the card from TGT they didn't release because they were afraid it would be too strong.

It is such an innocent looking card, but the potential for insanity is pretty high.

Pirate Warrior and Dragon Priest are safe bets, so I don't find anyone predicting them to be strong very interesting.

If anyone can start pumping out a tier 1 Rogue or Paladin deck, then you'll get my attention.

Dahbomb

Situationally Lava Burst gives you burst to kill when you may not otherwise have burn in deck. That's the whole point of Discover is that you CHOOSE which card is the best in the situation. Lava Burst not the best card in the situation? OK pick the other card then.

This is not a Midrange Shaman card. It's a Control Shaman card. Meaning a deck that can afford to float the mana or combo with Lava Shock/Eternal Sentinel. Control decks actually care about versatility in options to deal with a situation which is why Discover is good for them.

The average quality of Overload card is far, far superior to random minion, random taunt, random deathrattle. Hell it's superior to even Discover random spell from Paladin off of Ivory Knight.

Speaking of healing I played against someone at rank 6 who played hallazeal and then lightning stormed. Still won the mirror but that was pretty sick, he healed from 6 to 22 or so.

Shaman Mirror is super frustrating since the order of the cards makes it super swingy. You can lead and almost end your opponent then they recover and you need to quickly draw some threats or have no chance to swing it back again.

jgminto

35237.png

Finders Keeper probably won't see play for the same reason Light in the Darkness doesn't see play. Believe me I tried.

However, the synergy with overload and the power of Shaman might be enough to make it slightly more popular.
Finders Keeper is a lot more of a utility card than that, discovering a board clear, burst, a heal(with the new Shaman minion), a Taunt or a large threat depending on what you need is much more useful than a minion with 1/1.

FeD.nL

I really wonder how fast a Jade Golem druid will be able to ramp consistently in both mana and golems. I mean Druid has to be the best fit for the golems imo.

zoukka

Compared to what? to any other previous discovers? Overload definitely is the best so far.

ZealousD

The average quality of Overload card is far, far superior to random minion, random taunt, random deathrattle. Hell it's superior to even Discover random spell from Paladin off of Ivory Knight.

My point is that I don't think this is true. I think people's perceptions of the quality of overload cards is being shaped the power of Shaman in the current meta, not the actual quality of that pool of cards.

Raxus

How much gold does everyone have for the xpansion?

I have nearly 7.5k going into tomorrow. I also have a ton of amazon coins.

wiibomb

got 4500 saved up babyyyyy~

athough I'm planing to get some WotOG packs, my pity timer is at 25 packs, I should be opening one legendary soon

I have 50 gold saved up.

did your consumerism took the best of you? at least you might be able to get 1 tomorrow..

lol

Cat Party

Ancient One sighting on Kibler's stream. Took some insane Golden Monkey shenanigans by a control warrior (shifter zerus into blood of the ancient one + Herald volazj), but Kibler entombed it and killed the opponent.

wiibomb

I can't not open packs.

I do have 5000 Amazon coins from that deal.

for some reason some days ago amazon let me buy that deal on my main account and now I have a good amount of amazon coins to burn.

how many packs should a normal person need to have a good collection of the expansion?

inky

How much gold does everyone have for the xpansion?

I have nearly 7.5k going into tomorrow. I also have a ton of amazon coins.

Around the same. Don't know if I want to do a 40-30 split between Gadgetzan and Classic packs or 50-20.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
for some reason some days ago amazon let me buy that deal on my main account and now I have a good amount of amazon coins to burn.

how many packs should a normal person need to have a good collection of the expansion?

80 packs is a good number.

I have 4800 dust so 40 packs should do me fine. There aren't a ton of legendaries I care about right now in the new expansion. Kazakus is a day one craft though.

wiibomb

hey also, i forgot to ask, I remember there was a promotion last year to buy 50 packs for $50, should we be waiting something similar this year? I might be tempted to wait to buy any pack if so.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
hey also, i forgot to ask, I remember there was a promotion last year to buy 50 packs for $50, should we be waiting something similar this year? I might be tempted to wait to buy any pack if so.

That's available right now through the desktop client.

cHinzo

Got 8.9k gold and 2.2k dust to spend. Should be enough, although I do like to open more. :> Just don't want to spend money on packs right now.

Brawl is dumb. Fireball to my own face. My opponent gets mind blast. Crackle to my own face with 6~ targets. Oh, and healing touch healed him from losing board state... I lost completely to the RNG.

Next game, dark whispers buffs his minion... meh.

RNG is fun!

I went into the brawl wanting to like it, but went from a complete win to a complete loss just on the rng alone.

Next game every single minion I played produced little to no power for me, every single minion he played snowballed him into a win. He even kept playing minions, continuing to roll the dice to let me have a chance, and he still got beneficial stuff while I got stuff like sacred secret and beastial wrath... and those were my good rolls.

edit:
thank god it's over, rolled 2 avenging wraths in the same game...

Now to ponder whether it's worth torturing myself to clear a quest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom