• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was a troll attempt but after reading his post history, I think he's serious, guys...

Well, I mean there are still scenarios where people would be disappointed by an 88. Like if GTAVI got that score.

An 88 has never been less than a very good score, but man 9's used to be handed out to practically every big game.

MKIL65

Alright, I'll bite!

DooMAGE
(Today, 10:51 PM)
image.php

Yeah, I've read many of this guy's posts when I lurked on GAF. Constantly downplaying things that aren't in his interests.

Floody

Now that you mention, what games are y'all trying to finish before next Tuesday? I got Inside, Abzu and Final Fantasy 7. I think FF7 isn't going to make it though.

Yakuza 4, loved 0 so much I needed more and despite people saying it's probably not a good idea to play a Yakuza game back to back, I went ahead anyways, kinda super burnt out now and only about halfway through.

Ah, review scores and gamerankings nonsense...I do not give a shit about those.
Some of you spend a lot of time grieving over that huh...

If there is one thing I trust when it comes to film and games is to never trust review scores.

Fair enough, want to discuss the actual reviews then?

I mean you can ignore the score entirely and focus on the actual, detailed explanations for the overwhelmingly positive reception for this game from those that have played it to help inform your and others purchasing decisions, based on their knowledge and experience with many different games and genres.

Just, you know, a suggestion.

Fat4all

Banned
Nier has a 68

It certainly deserves to be rated much higher, but I can see exactly why it wasn't. The combat was fine, but not good enough to grind all the weapons out and do multiple playthroughs for most reviewers (even if they knew that was something they could do to get more story).

Around 10 years ago a STAR was born...

Around 10 years later and it's looking like history will repeat itself...

This actually made me more hyped than anything. I saw something special in Uncharted, when it came out it was everything I hoped for and more and lead to a sequel that is my second favorite game of all time and the series in now my all time favorite series. I still to this day love every moment of the original Uncharted.

Horizon has been giving me the same vibes since the beginning, and as you pointed out, this is just the start.

One week

Poor Killzone 2 seems it is destined for obscurity.

I would pay $60 for a straight port of KZ2 multi. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

From watching video reviews, I'm really shocked about how well designed all the NPCs are. Clothes, hair styles, ornamentation, face paint, etc. I think Horizon has actually outdone in TW3 in the regard, though TW3 had a lot more NPCs. I've seen a few character designs for speaking NPCs that are even much better than Aloy's default design. I needs the artbook, I needs it.

Fat4all

Banned
I just beat
Shadows of Yharnam
but now I'm doing chalice dungeons since I've kinda neglected them

Hmm... even if you were to rush for the ending, I doubt you'll be able to finish it off quickly enough.

You're roughly halfway through the game, give or take side-areas/backtracking.

I think they already have like a bucket list of what to improve in Horizon 2.

This game will sell well seeing a ton of commercials for it on Youtube and TV.

GHG

Gold Member
Ah, review scores and gamerankings nonsense...I do not give a shit about those.
Some of you spend a lot of time grieving over that huh...

If there is one thing I trust when it comes to film and games is to never trust review scores.

Trust nobody, not even yourself.

Holy hell at some of the landscapes in the EZA review, like wow. I'll admit the diversity of the environments has caught me by surprise. The level of scale looks nuts. Guerrilla seems to have a near photorealistic day/night cycle going on and every weather effect you can imagine is implemented.

Yeah it's stunning, I loved re-watching that video to take it all in.

Also, the bits of music that comes on (in addition to bits of the main theme) got me good, I started re-checking out the other video reviews just to hear bits and pieces of some more underneath the reviews lol.

GHG

Gold Member
I am salty as fuck because I kept telling myself
"This game gunna suuck, I can gladly sell my ps4 and only play PC and switch from here on now, I only have to borrow a ps4 for uc4 dlc and tlou 2. The rest sucks dick and PC master raaace, and this gonna be a perfect symbol of a good looking but hollow POS game...go eat a duck ps4 pro"

(Bear with me, I didnt went to rl friends or any internet boards or comment sections and shat on their favourite console. I kept the struggel quiet lol. Unitl now. Well, now I want to write out why I feel that way. Not that I have an "actual" point why people shouldnt enjoy their console, far from it. )
(Also switch is gonna be alright for me because I see it as a handheld, so it is okay to exist besides my PC)

So yakuza 0 is fantastic, nioh is fantastic, horizon is fantastic and this bothers me, because after I switched to PC I noticed how much more the system fits me. How awesome discord is, how awesome it is to use a good PC for all my gaming needs, that I can use e.g. every music streaming service I want, not just spotify and the overall comfort and "freedom" is a thing a classic console cannot provide me with.

Because of this I secretly wish every game comes to PC and console exclusives are bothering as hell to me ATM.

Of course this is on the one hand petty, I mean pure pettyness. On the other it is my....uh..lustfull desire to stay on PC and feel like a champ doing it, still with a corporate thump up my bum, but less pronounced as when I am on ps4.

The newer exclusive titles for ps4 are ridiculous good and I am looking forward to play them as soon as I get to have time for them, but with a tear in one eye and a smile in the other.

TL;dr: I want to shit on ps4 because good ps4 exlusives give me the feeling that PC as a gaming platform is less awesome as I wish it could be but I know this is stupid behavoir so I dont do it, but I wish I could, I need an anonymous help therapy or something.
STILL: Congrats gg on this achievemnt and the technical praise also exites me. Good times for gaming!

And I hope this doesnt come across as trolling because it is meant to be the polar opposite. More of a self analysis

Oh my god what did I just read. You're taking this far too seriously man, it's just videogames. If you enjoy them, who cares what platform it's on? If you're so desperate to use something other than Spotify then use a sound mixer.

Permanently A

I am salty as fuck because I kept telling myself
"This game gunna suuck, I can gladly sell my ps4 and only play PC and switch from here on now, I only have to borrow a ps4 for uc4 dlc and tlou 2. The rest sucks dick and PC master raaace, and this gonna be a perfect symbol of a good looking but hollow POS game...go eat a duck ps4 pro"

(Bear with me, I didnt went to rl friends or any internet boards or comment sections and shat on their favourite console. I kept the struggel quiet lol. Unitl now. Well, now I want to write out why I feel that way. Not that I have an "actual" point why people shouldnt enjoy their console, far from it. )
(Also switch is gonna be alright for me because I see it as a handheld, so it is okay to exist besides my PC)

So yakuza 0 is fantastic, nioh is fantastic, horizon is fantastic and this bothers me, because after I switched to PC I noticed how much more the system fits me. How awesome discord is, how awesome it is to use a good PC for all my gaming needs, that I can use e.g. every music streaming service I want, not just spotify and the overall comfort and "freedom" is a thing a classic console cannot provide me with.

Because of this I secretly wish every game comes to PC and console exclusives are bothering as hell to me ATM.

Of course this is on the one hand petty, I mean pure pettyness. On the other it is my....uh..lustfull desire to stay on PC and feel like a champ doing it, still with a corporate thump up my bum, but less pronounced as when I am on ps4.

The newer exclusive titles for ps4 are ridiculous good and I am looking forward to play them as soon as I get to have time for them, but with a tear in one eye and a smile in the other.

TL;dr: I want to shit on ps4 because good ps4 exlusives give me the feeling that PC as a gaming platform is less awesome as I wish it could be but I know this is stupid behavoir so I dont do it, but I wish I could, I need an anonymous help therapy or something.
STILL: Congrats gg on this achievemnt and the technical praise also exites me. Good times for gaming!

And I hope this doesnt come across as trolling because it is meant to be the polar opposite. More of a self analysis

I feel you tbh. I find playing games on PC to be more relaxing and enjoyable and private compared to playing them on console. If there was a way to stream my games from PS4 to PC I would do that for every game.

Not often that a game gets 90 or higher from all of IGN, GameSpot, Giant Bomb, and Polygon yet still falls below 90.

Ah well. 88 is excellent. There's just something that feels so special and elite about eclipsing 90.

Saw the OP and was prepared to eat all of the crow until I read reviews from writers I actually care about in Eurogamer, The Guardian and Kotaku UK. About what I'd expect from Guerilla. I'm calling an Edge 7, maybe a generous 8.

I don't remember you caring much about their opinions when all (yes, every single one of them) rated Uncharted 4 so highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom