• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

Great scores for GG they've taken a lot of shit in the past and glad things are going well. Will pick it up as soon as I complete TW3.

What the fuck happened in here? All this zelda and Scorpio talk, why are so many so pressed?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'll just add to these what i think should be added to The sequel

> Co-op or buddy system, only two not more than that.
> Gears and armor adding value to combat like Ironman suit/Vanquish where you can hover or dash according to the equipped armor.
>
Expand upon the Cauldrons and Caves part

> Aloy better be back as well. You don't make a character this awesome and just go, "you liked this character? Well too bad, here's another!" New MC might not be as awesome :(

GHG

Gold Member

> Gears and armor adding value to combat like Ironman suit/Vanquish where you can hover or dash according to the equipped armor.
>

FFS... No.

There are plenty of other games that offer this and are designed around it. It doesn't need to be shoehorned into every single game type in existence.

Staf

This is now easily my most anticipated game of the year, sorry Torment. The game have looked fun to play since the first time they showed it. But i never expected the story to be any more than serviceable at best. Great news to hear its good.

Floody

Time to buy a PS4 now? I'm mainly a PC gamer, I rarely ever used my PS3/360.

Interested in anything else on the PS4 too (upcoming or already out)? Is so sure, if not not maybe not, no game will be able to single handily justify a platform.

bounchfx

FFS... No.

There are plenty of other games that offer this and are designed around it. It doesn't need to be shoehorned into every single game type in existence.

can you recommend some that have co op and are like this? I'd love to play them. serious question

Polarburr

FFS... No.

I'm not for co-op as well. But I feel like they could build some kind of online trading thing among tribes. Since I heard the game has a lot of tribes, it'd be cool if you could do resource/material trading online to strengthen your tribes outpost/hideout. Something that minor I'd be down for.

Gradly

>

You forgot adding a season pass lol i'm kidding. Actually I want them to add the ability to
override and ride the stormbird
if this is not in this game, as I have not played it yet

Another additional 10-15 unique variants of machines would go a long way to make a truly complete animal ecosystem. 26 is good, but given the dynamic nature of interactions,I think every additional 5 would be exponentially incremental by leaps & bounds in terms of dynamism.
An actual melee combat system.
Multi-piece armor equipment system ala RPGs like TW3/DAI/etc.
Bigger settlements/cities/enterable buildings.
Improved human enemy A.I.
Improved side-quest writing/design.

>

I'll add, based on what I've seen:

> Flying mounts. (need to improve the streaming engine)
> Include the concept art that didn't make it into the game for time, budget, or sequels reasons. (looking at you Suchomimus robot)
> Develop the machine vs machine scenarios, allow us to control bigger machines to engage bigger threats. (make it an end game reward)

Not sure about a co-op though.

Wag

Interested in anything else on the PS4 too (upcoming or already out)? Is so sure, if not not maybe not, no game will be able to single handily justify a platform.

Probably Uncharted 4. I don't really know much about the exclusives.

I don't have a 4k TV yet, but will be getting one eventually. Should I just buy a standard PS4 or go for the Pro?

reKon

Banned
Time to buy a PS4 now? I'm mainly a PC gamer, I rarely ever used my PS3/360.

Just buy it for the best exclusives that you're interested. No need to over do it. It just so happens that some of the PS4 exclusives also happens be the best or near the best in their genre (TLoU, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and perhaps Horizon now lol). I'd also consider Ratchet and Clank. It's more TPS than platformer, but it's fun and there's not much out there like it?

vivekTO

> Aloy better be back as well. You don't make a character this awesome and just go, "you liked this character? Well too bad, here's another!" New MC might not be as awesome :(

She will be back but there is 50% chance we will get a new character. that's why i said a buddy system may work where you can fully customise the other one, so that we can switch between Aloy and the other character.
I know its just speculation and all that.

FFS... No.

What other open world game with combat like that provide this , i am not talking games like GRW or A:unity!!

Also that is why i was also looking forward to the Scalebound!!

If they did co-op, I'd rather it be only a separate arena/horde like mode that you can also play solo. Def would love to see flying mounts one day.

Man, reviews of this game made me go from my 7-8 consensus expectations to pre-ordering a copy today. I was always attracted to the art style, the decision to go with a female lead, and hoped for the best, but I've never really felt that Guerrilla Games has ever cranked out anything special before with any of their Killzone games. This is truly the best possible outcome from where I stood on the game prior to the review embargo going up, and it sounds like this game is actually going to be mostly what I hoped it could be.

Really can't wait to play this game, and I say that as a lifelong Zelda fan that's got an exciting new Zelda game just a few days later. Originally, the decision to pass this over and just play Zelda was easy, but almost all of my trusted sources weighed in heavy on the positive outlook for Horizon, and now I'm all aboard. Can't wait to play it myself, and hoping Guerrilla Games can ride this momentum to further greatness in the future -- they're a developer I've had a hard time finding appreciation for, but I've never wanted them to fail.

That's not in? :(

It doesn't seem like it. Among the leaked concept art, it was the one I was looking forward the most. Life is cruel...

Rick8d3c5.gif

...till Horizon 2.

KZObsessed

I don't have a 4k TV yet, but will be getting one eventually. Should I just buy a standard PS4 or go for the Pro?

If you're gonna get a 4k TV eventually then definitely get a Pro. You can enjoy downsampling in the meantime.

Floody

Slim is much cheaper, but you can't go wrong either way really, most of the exclusives run great on the standard model, the couple that don't, don't really benefit much from the Pro. Up to you really.
Horizon is the first real game to really utilize the Pro though and is probably a sign of things to come.

It doesn't seem like it. Among the leaked concept art, it was the one I was looking forward the most. Life is cruel...

Rick8d3c5.gif

...till Horizon 2.
goodbye sweet prince you were too good for this dino world

Btw, when you respond to vivek make sure you show the pics of both the leaked thunderjaw and suchominus concept art so people won't keep confusing the two

Oh, I wouldn't mind a robot Titanoboa and more mammal-looking machines either. (gorilla, elephants, giant bats, etc.)

Which one is that ??

What picture are we talking about?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230699046&postcount=4868

goodbye sweet prince you were too good for this dino world

Btw, when you respond to vivek make sure you show the pics of both the leaked thunderjaw and suchominus concept art so people won't keep confusing the two

There's still hope!

In the metacritic predictions thread I made my guess and then made a bold guess for each game (that doesn't count towards the thread). This ended up right between them (my regular guess was 85 and my bold guess was 92).

As a former TGWTG/Channel Awesome fan, I can't stand Joe's angry shoutyman style of reviewing.

Read the bolded, I wasn't talking about his disdain for AJ.

"They talk like real gamers" is one of the worst things you could say about a Youtube Channel. And it also speaks volume about that person as well.
Also considering the only thing I know about Kinda Funny are the Colin Moriarty threads, such a comment just reinforces my perception. Sticking with Easy Allies forever anyway (which he probably wouldn't consider "reel gaemerz") <3

Obviously I've got the game preordered but I still have trouble believing the story can be that good. Need to stop reading The Lamp's impression and be patient !

Do we know how many quests are rewarded with unique gear/materials? Even if its soon outlevelled, its always nice to get more than xp or trash items for doing a quest.

Steroyd

FFS... No.

While I agree with the sentiment behind what you're saying a co-op mode with some sort with Monster Hunter esque enemies, would be an awesome addition.

I-hate-u

Didn't play the game, but I would hope a sequel expands melee gameplay immensely, and introduce SoTC giant Robo fights for you take partake in.

90b7e22b18e0b8dabd0fc1f88b205c15.jpg

^^

Something like that, but don't make it coop or npc based. I want to feel powerless trying to take the thing down by myself.

ricelord

Didn't play the game, but I would hope a sequel expands melee gameplay immensely, and introduce SoTC giant Robo fights for you take partake in.

^^

Something like that, but don't make it coop or npc based. I want to feel powerless trying to take the thing down by myself.

hmm so monster hunter X Horizon X dragon dogma

level1

As a former TGWTG/Channel Awesome fan, I can't stand Joe's angry shoutyman style of reviewing.

Honestly, there's not much anger or shouting going on through the majority of his reviews. In fact most of his stuff is very well articulated with a few skits thrown in.

SomTervo

^^

Um, im pretty
sure giant enemies are in the game and are an important, challenging part of it. Apparently many of them roam at will and are optional, not unlike free-roaming colossi.

I've been avoiding spoilers but saw a couple of mentions of this in the early impressions thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom