• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Apparently it's recommended that you safe often at bonfires as the game throws you back to the last time you did so which can put your progress at risk (also: the game is supposedly challenging).

Scrawnton

Apparently it's recommended that you safe often at bonfires as the game throws you back to the last time you did so which can put your progress at risk (also: the game is supposedly challenging).
Does it save the progress you made since you died when it sends you back to a Fire or is all progress lost and it just reloads a save?

aravuus

Hopefully there are lots of bonfires everywhere so I can pseudo-savescum lol. I want to be able to gather a bunch of materials for all kinds of different tactics and approaches, save at a bonfire that's close to a difficult fight (like 1-2 min run away tops) and just keep trying the fight again and again, every time with the same (big) bunch of materials so I can experiment and have fun with it.

Man, I'm getting dangerously excited about this game.

JPLMD

Good god how are the graphics that good?! GG has seriously outdone themselves. It's mind blowing to me the game looks this good AND is open world. Holy shit.

SomTervo

Not gonna lie, Eurogamers review bothered me, they seem to dismiss guerilla. The USgamer review never bothered me as that seemed to be an outlier way out there, but eurogamer throwing shade at GG, amongst all the rest of the glowing reviews seemed...petty to me. Seems like GG put a lot of care and heart into the game. Maybe I am just sensitive lol.

I don't think Eurogamer did this. They note that its refreshing and is a good shake-up from what Guerrilla did before and show level-headed respect for GG's earlier work. But they also state a lack of confidence in open world game design shows.

The Eurogamer review is still fairly positive. The guy says it's "very, very far from being a bad game" near the end.

I don't think Eurogamer did this. They note that its refreshing and is a good shake-up from what Guerrilla did before and show level-headed respect for GG's earlier work. But they also state a lack of confidence in open world game design shows.

The Eurogamer review is still fairly positive. The guy says it's "very, very far from being a bad game" near the end.

They said it has technical bravado,, but like all guerilla games is forgettable....which is quite the contrary looking at the reception. To me seems like thats a pretty big slant against GG and the work they did here, but I digress, it is not a big deal at the end of the day, just something that caught my attention.

Coxy100

Banned

I agree with you. The funny thing is eurogamer are the ones who gave No Mans Sky a 'Recommended' to no mans sky. All objectives of course, but still, funny.

prudislav

They said it has technical bravado,, but like all guerilla games is forgettable..which is quite the contrary looking at the reception
i dont know imo its just the robo-dinosaur thing which makes it stand and exceptional aka ton of people wanted openworld action game with dinos for years ... I am pretty sure if it wasnt for unusual theme (aka if it had zombies instad btu everything else the same for example) it wouldnt had the such high praise

i dont know imo its just the robo-dinosaur thing which makes it stand and exceptional aka ton of people wanted openworld action game with dinos for years ... I am pretty sure if it wasnt for unusual theme (aka if it had zombies instad btu everything else the same for example) it wouldnt had the such high praise

If it never had the thing that the game is built around, that's not how it works, you can't say lets take away the core of the game, then it would not be as special.. The story, characters, are also getting high praise. Every area of the game is getting praise.

martino

They said it has technical bravado,, but like all guerilla games is forgettable....which is quite the contrary looking at the reception. To me seems like thats a pretty big slant against GG and the work they did here, but I digress, it is not a big deal at the end of the day, just something that caught my attention.

Depend what they mean by forgettable
We have lot of context for now for the reception of the game
We are on a forum about video game and a thread about the game not even released...
that and review are highly restricted profile /context.
Are all games even if they 90+ commonly unforgettable based on inital reception ?
Seems to me, you need time to reach that (and metacritic don't count that much)

edit: not saying this not a bold prediction.

Floody

Probably not, but it would only be because the games combat likely wouldn't be the same without the machines it was built around.
The game's world as also received near universal praise and the story has far more positive reactions than negative, so it'd probably just be a good game without the machines and combat instead of the great one we got.

kpaadet

So what your saying is, if TLOU 2 ditched the "zombies" and instead had robo dinos it would break metacritic. Come on, if we change these things people like it might not be so well liked.

Loudninja

This really does not make sense.

The combat,graphics,sound, and story are all praise.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I'm just going to re-link what has already been discussed here. A lot of context is missing, from what I'd like to think are usually polite reasonable posters in that thread. Hopefully you can at least see my point of view as amicably as follows.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230652882&postcount=1991
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230653380&postcount=2058
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230654004&postcount=2155
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230654602&postcount=2253

Thanks for taking your time to respond to my post. I like to think that what I wrote wasn't offensive towards you, as we really don't know each other.

Reading the other things that you wrote, it makes more sense what you're trying to say. It's just that taking that unique post in a vacuum it really reads like something like "these plebs don't know better".

In that post you didn't criticized the game or any aspect about it, you simply painted those interested in a broad stroke and in addition quoted some posts that said it would turn out mediocre and people were interested only because "console wars". That's why I think it lead others to think that you're making comments as in a higher intellectual standing.

But, as I said in my post, this topic shouldn't even been in this thread as you posted that outside of here and it isn't my job to police anyone opinion.

DMONKUMA

88 in the Metacritic is good now? Or is this game getting a free pass just because?

Goood old DooMAGE! Appears in another Sony thread to shit all over the damn floor! I know you don't like Sony but you can at least stop the one time drops in any threads relating to them or their games if you don't like it that much, as I know you hate them being mention in any thread related to Nintendo as you mentioned before.

Edit-Ah already see people got on him :)

cheesekao

That's just as dumb as saying it it weren't for a highly rated rhythm game's good music, it wouldn't be as well received.

SomTervo

Interesting, I recall they praised Killzone 2. But yeah the tone did fob GG off a bit.

The Eurogamer review does read a bit like confirmation bias, like they went into the game with an idea of what it would be and it colored their perceptions. That's fairly normal, it's a standard feature of human cognition, by the way, but some of the stuff they say is so diametrically opposed to other reviews that it sounds jarring.

Rien

Jelly Belly
slow-clap-gif.gif
Butchie

danowat

Banned
I reckon if it was a different game it would've got a different score, I don't see why people are praising it?

What does that even mean?, if it was a different game?, I would imagine a different game would also be rated on the product as a whole.

I think people need to realise that an overall rating is a result of the sum of it's parts, not it's parts in isolation.

Or are people hinting that as a Sony exclusive it's getting a free pass?

Yurikerr

What does that even mean?, if it was a different game?, I would imagine a different game would also be rated on the product as a whole.

I think people need to realise that an overall rating is a result of the sum of it's parts, not it's parts in isolation.

Or are people hinting that as a Sony exclusive it's getting a free pass?

I think he's making fun of the post below.

I think the lack of a badge has some people miffed. Even I think Eurogamer reviews have a bit hit and miss lately, I mean they gave No Mans Sky a Recommended badge but couldn't Recommend Resident Evil 7 or Horizon ? (both great games)

While it is their opinion, which is fine and it is still a little bit positive, the review seems to spend most of the time comparing Horizon to other games like Witcher 3 or Far Cry and hardly talks about all the cool dino bots or things the game does well.

It's like the reviewer was burnt out on open world games and just phoned in the review without really playing it, as most of the good reviews have talked in detail about the characters, story, side quests and robots, like how the roam in packs or have different attacks / weaknesses or their AI ect and the game play, like picking the right strategy for taking on the robots, by learning their weakness and attack patterns, even the different weapons for getting the job done.

prudislav

That's just as dumb as saying it it weren't for a highly rated rhythm game's good music, it wouldn't be as well received.
nott what i was trying to say but whatever .... i guess I didnt clarified it enough or used some
i just wanted to say that the main appeal of the game and main thing that generated all this hype was the theme itself not really the story or gameplay (at least is for me and my friends with ps4) ... yeah story and gameplay is fine and all, but much i was just trying to say that way less people would care about it with more generic theme

nott what i was trying to say but whatever .... i guess Ididnt clarified it enough...
i just wanted to say that the main appeal of the game and main thing that generated all this hype was the theme itself not really the story or gameplay ... yeah story and gameplay is fine and all, but much i was just trying to say that way less people would care about it with more generic theme

That's like a super unfair argument. "Take away this, and it ain't special" I don't even know why this should matter, at all.

danowat

Banned
I think he's making fun of the post below.

Bizarre, I've seen a number of posts on Facebook actually deriding the robo dino nature of the game, because it's "dumb" or "lame", but other people here saying it's getting a free pass because of it.

Basically, people will just pick up on anything they can to try and reinforce their point of view.

Yurikerr

nott what i was trying to say but whatever .... i guess Ididnt clarified it enough...
i just wanted to say that the main appeal of the game and main thing that generated all this hype was the theme itself not really the story or gameplay ... yeah story and gameplay is fine and all, but much i was just trying to say that way less people would care about it with more generic theme

But the game isn't centered around a generic theme, so why does it matters? What generated the hype is the sum of all the elements. If having dinos was a "auto-win" ARK would be a GAF darling.

And even if it was a generic theme, do we know how would GG have executed it? TLOU is a mix of generic troops and the game is lauded as one of all times greats.

I think if YouTubers are going to get review copies, they should be sent to smaller channels rather than giant ones. Give the smaller channels a chance to break out.

nott what i was trying to say but whatever .... i guess I didnt clarified it enough or used some
i just wanted to say that the main appeal of the game and main thing that generated all this hype was the theme itself not really the story or gameplay (at least is for me and my friends with ps4) ... yeah story and gameplay is fine and all, but much i was just trying to say that way less people would care about it with more generic theme

You are still not making any sense.....The gameplay looked great day one, and the setting/theme is a massive part of the game...you cannot say "If it never had this it would not be as good". Are you implying the game is just hyped because of Robot Dinos? Yet all reviews are praising the gameplay, structure and story?

Joke post, right?

Goood old DooMAGE! Appears in another Sony thread to shit all over the damn floor! I know you don't like Sony but you can at least stop the one time drops in any threads relating to them or their games if you don't like it that much, as I know you hate them being mention in any thread related to Nintendo as you mentioned before. Want to have a look at that ;)

Edit-Ah already see people got on him :)

A guy burnt him with his Doom avatar (game has a 85/87 MC) and he never came back. LOL

TokiDoki

It's safe to say I can finally stopped relying on Eurogamer on anything fairly accurate to my taste . NMS with recommended badge while RE7 , which I regarded as one of the best RE ever on par with REmake and 4th , was not given any positive badge . Would be possible for them to not giving Nier Automata or Persona5 any badges either at this rate . See , their badge system actually backfiring now .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom