• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prudislav

You are still not making any sense.....The gameplay looked great day one, and the setting/theme is a massive part of the game...you cannot say "If it never had this it would not be as good". Are you implying the game is just hyped because of Robot Dinos? Yet all reviews are praising the gameplay, structure and story?
i guess maybe i was just not paying that much attention to it and all the footage i saw before and now with reviews just showed its the kind of structure and gameplay I am currently exhasted by. And yeah all of my friends are buying just for "Far Cry with robo-dinos" thing (not my words , but theirs, but they are more casual gamers than me)

And even if it was a generic theme, do we know how would GG have executed it? TLOU is a mix of generic troops and the game is lauded as one of all times greats.
again i was talking more about the hype before release not really about the reviews or customer reception (which is currently unknown)
BTW: As for TLOU , cant really say ,not really fan and i really really tried to like it

or its just me being frustrated fuck who is not really fan of where this industry is going and is kinda exhausted by the AAA "awesomesause" production

again i was talking more about the hype before release not really about the reviews or customer reception (which is currently unknown)
BTW: As for TLOU , cant really say ,not really fan and i really really tried to like it

or maybe its just me being frustrated fuck who is not really fan of where this industry is going and is kinda exhausted by the AAA "awesomesause" production

The hype was because it looked and played great....you act like it is easy to get a game where you are fighting huge robot dinos to play well. Did you see Scalebound e3 with the large boss fight? Hype was because it looked well executed, not just because of theme.

DMONKUMA

A guy burnt him with his Doom avatar (game has a 85/87 MC) and he never came back. LOL

Lol yeah I saw that, nice. Doomage just says one thing then never returns to the same thread again, only time he says something is to insult another game/system he doesn't like or if it's a game he likes get insulted or something along that line.

i guess maybe i was just not paying that much attention to it and all the footage i saw before and now with reviews just showed its the kind of structure and gameplay I am currently exhasted by.

or its just me being frustrated fuck who is not really fan of where this industry is going and is kinda exhausted by the AAA "awesomesause" production

Ignorance is not a defence dude lol.

Lol yeah I saw that, nice. Doomage just says one thing then never returns to the same thread again, only time he says something if it's a game he likes get insulted or something along that line.

It's trolling, surprised the mods allow that stuff.

Some people get away with it, I've been banned before for far, far less.

Same here...that's why i'm confused. I got a week ban last week for saying "lol op", in the "Has sony back peddled on pro" thread...Far worse trolling here happens constantly. Just hard to know what is acceptable and not when it seems random.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
i guess maybe i was just not paying that much attention to it and all the footage i saw before and now with reviews just showed its the kind of structure and gameplay I am currently exhasted by.

I'm still not understand you. The moment that the game really reached hype status was after the E3 gameplay reveal. Where we saw Aloy fighting against the Thunderjaw, hinding in bushes, stealth killing.

When the concept arts leaked most where interested but still afraid of GG track record and how could they transform that in a good open world game.

I just think you wasn't paying any attention to the game and just came here to say "robot dinos are the only reason this game is getting high scores"

And I couldn't make any sense of your last sentence.

Same here...that's why i'm confused. I got a week ban last week for saying "lol op", in the "Has sony back peddled on pro" thread...Far worse trolling here happens constantly. Just hard to know what is acceptable and not when it seems random.

Mods are not almighty and sometimes are prone to their own mistakes and perception misses.

I either ignore it, or if I see something weird, I just highlight it.

Jesus dude, what is it with you and this game? You've been on people like a rabid pitbull every time they dare say something bad about the game. GG's gonna be okay man, you don't have to constantly defend them.

wtf are you talking about? I am not even talking about the game at all lol. Do you own a mirror?

Yet you literally just accused a poster of trolling for giving his opinion on the game.

Sigh...we were talking about Dooms post pages ago when he said "You guys acting like 88 is a good score, or does this geta free pass"...maybe know what is being talked about and contect before jumping in a conversation.

Mate

This isn't an opinion on the game

Whatever you think of the game, this is such an obvious shit post

So where did I attack someone for their opinion?

KORNdoggy

pre-ordered. probably shouldn't have given how many games i have that i haven't even played yet. but it looks like an early GOTY contender and i'm hyped.

Yurikerr

Yet you literally just accused a poster of trolling for giving his opinion on the game.

Where is his opinion in this drive-by post?

88 in the Metacritic is good now? Or is this game getting a free pass just because?

So is the 88 locked? or are we expecting a big publisher still to change that.

Maybe EDGE can tip the scales, but isn't certain

Does it save the progress you made since you died when it sends you back to a Fire or is all progress lost and it just reloads a save?

If there's no story check points. Yes, you lose progress. If you're out hunting in the open world and you acquire some rare items, best to find a fire asap.

I lost about 30 minutes being stupid when I knew I should have gone to the campfire. So yeah.

george_us

Sigh...we were talking about Dooms post pages ago when he said "You guys acting like 88 is a good score, or does this geta free pass"...maybe know what is being talked about and contect before jumping in a conversation.

So where did I attack someone for their opinion?
I thought you were referring to someone else but you've been jumping down people's throats when they even slightly hint at something negative at the game in every goddamn Horizon thread. Shit's annoying as fuck.

prudislav

I just think you wasn't paying any attention to the game and just came here to say "robot dinos are the only reason this game is getting high scores"

not really only reason but huge deal of it at least in "nonharcore gamer" circles, but whatever .. watched various gameplays and now reviews which gave me the picture of cool openworld game with robodinos ..... and as i said above all of my friends were hyped and are buying it for the "Far Cry with Dinos" kind of deal (even though it seems to be much more than that).... that was all i was trying to say but i guess in really bad way

Should have waited with the post until actuall release, currently only reviewers played it anyway :-/ and i am not really that good by explaining properly what i want to say even in native lang (let alone foreign one)

Or are you guys just offended that the game wouldnt be all that appealing to me (and my casual frined) without the robodinos??? (me aka nobody with long pc gaming history who is just slowly entering gaming on ps)
BTW: Not everyone is as ahardore in gaming as here on gaf .. most people just look at some videos and say it looks cool, compare it to something they know and probably buy it

I thought you were referring to someone else but you've been jumping down people's throats when they even slightly hint at something negative at the game in every goddamn Horizon thread. Shit's annoying as fuck.

What you are doing is annoying as fuck, and you were wrong, going to post on topic or keep coming after me? Don't like my posts ignore is an option. I have not jumped down peoples throat, you have though, irony.

george_us

What you are doing is annoying as fuck, and you were wrong, going to post on topic or keep coming after me? Don't like my posts ignore is an option. I have not jumped down peoples throat, you have though, irony.
You've been jumping down people's throats in every Horizon thread, breh.

How long does it take for those Sony checks to clear?

Yurikerr

You've been jumping down people's throats in every Horizon thread, breh.

How long does it take for those Sony checks to clear?

Yo guys, this is not very constructive....

Gradly

I think the lack of a badge has some people miffed. Even I think Eurogamer reviews have a bit hit and miss lately, I mean they gave No Mans Sky a Recommended badge but couldn't Recommend Resident Evil 7 or Horizon ? (both great games)

While it is their opinion, which is fine and it is still a little bit positive, the review seems to spend most of the time comparing Horizon to other games like Witcher 3 or Far Cry and hardly talks about all the cool dino bots or things the game does well.

It's like the reviewer was burnt out on open world games and just phoned in the review without really playing it, as most of the good reviews have talked in detail about the characters, story, side quests and robots, like how the roam in packs or have different attacks / weaknesses or their AI ect and the game play, like picking the right strategy for taking on the robots, by learning their weakness and attack patterns, even the different weapons for getting the job done.

I understand gamers have opinions but I think it's more of an added responsibility for professional reviewers than mere opinions. I expected reviewers who were a bit critical to encourage developers like GG to invest in different ideas, this is how we see new IPs, not when we say that yea the game is good but gonna be forgettable

GHG

Gold Member
This thread man. Here I am just popping in to see if any more reviews have been posted and shits popping off all over the place again.

This game has people HEATED.

If you don't like the way someone posts there's a fairly easy remedy for it, you know?

Once the game comes out properly and gamers on here get their hands on it. And play it for what it is, i think the likelyhood that most people would like it.

Anyhow. I've said it before earlier: no way this game is a 2.5/5 - which is the ultra low score they got from USgamer. I can't fathom how anyone can play Horizon and think yeah its not a good game. Fighting one of the big dinosaurs is so goddamn exciting. And it just looks so visually appealing. The complete package really. I'm now about 25 hours in. Still loving it

I just hope fro Guerilla's sake, they don't have no bonuses tied to the metacritic score. This is a terrific game

Once the game comes out properly and gamers on here get their hands on it. And play it for what it is, i think the likelyhood that most people would like it.

Anyhow. I've said it before earlier: no way this game is a 2.5/5 - which is the ultra low score they got from USgamer. I can't fathom how anyone can play Horizon and think yeah its not a good game. Fighting one of the big dinosaurs is so goddamn exciting. And it just looks so visually appealing. The complete package really. I'm now about 25 hours in. Still loving it

I just hope fro Guerilla's sake, they don't have no bonuses tied to the metacritic score. This is a terrific game

I hate it when devs have to reach a certain MC score to get a bonus. We all know how difficult it is to get a 90+ nowadays and with more outlets using the 1-5 scale, that's just going to get more difficult.

As for the USG review, there's really nothing that can be done about that now. It's a party pooper considering all the glowing reviews but it's already there. We're better off just forgetting about it and instead enjoy the game. I'll play it right this second if I could but I'm a pleb who have to wait one more week. Haha!

My god, voting for this year's GOTY will be incredibly difficult.

Did you encounter any serious bugs during your playthrough

I'm just surprised that aggregate sites don't toss out or at least weight extreme outliers less/curve them. Is Metacritic's exact formula known?
Someone did the math already even without the 5/10 score the meta would just be 89. Horizon needed a few more perfect scores to hit that 90+

It might bounce back to 89 at best though.

So is the 88 locked? or are we expecting a big publisher still to change that.

The Last Guardian has like 110 reviews while Horizon only has 74. It won't vary much but I wouldn't say 88 is set in stone. What the stone says is that the game is critically acclaimed. ;)

J-Skee

I like how he said "I think Zelda is going to have to be really really good to unseat this game as game of the year. If we get some game that makes this game not game of the year, it going to have to be an incredible game."

It makes me even more excited for Horizon.

That really opened my eyes just now. It's going to be so interesting to see the Breath of the Wild reviews now.

george_us

If you don't like the way someone posts there's a fairly easy remedy for it, you know?
My frustration doesn't solely lie with that single poster just the overall vibe I get when people try to discuss console exclusives. It feels like you can't even have your own damn opinion anymore until six months after a game has released when the hype has died down. Review threads for exclusives have been absolutely awful for almost a decade because of it. Like, it's not even posters that are trolling that get jumped on. I mean sure there are SOME trolls but I've regularly seen well thought out posts get completely shit on and it gets tiresome after awhile. Normally I just lurk threads and watch the ridiculousness unfold from afar, but after seeing so many review threads turn out the exact same way, it gets tiresome. But I won't derail any further.
For every image i am posting , i am getting $5 :)
Soon to by a pro. yeaahhhh!!
Who's your contact? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom