• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

I can already see the "Zelda BotW ruined all other video games for me" thread.

dont know why,, they are exact opposites

Horizon : Graphics and combat

Zelda : Puzzles and survival (best preview detail I have read is Witness X Dont starve)

Horizon I guess is not good on puzzles, Zelda has boring combat (some previews have said this already).

I am more a combat person (so Witcher 3 / zelda / Witness are not my cuppa, but I can see why they are liked)

Anyway, Horizon I will buy, but more pumped for Mass Effect.

QaaQer

It happens with every Zelda. Previews come out stating it's the best since OoT, and then a few months later some people start to shit on it.

It's not even necessarily exclusive to Zelda.

It's actually the norm for big games with big marketing. Previews are worthless (previews, not reviews).

dracula_x

Inf3cted_b3ast said:
Please don't crucify me for bringing up Zelda yet again but apparently it was good for Horizon the it got reviewed before Zelda. If not it would have been a 7/10 game.
https://twitter.com/BasedVidya/statu...45482440069123

I can already see the "Zelda BotW ruined all other video games for me" thread.

by this logic, Witcher 3 should be a 7/10 game too or even worse.

edit: btw, gaming press have played those 2 games almost simultaneously, so that argument ("it got reviewed before") doesn't work. Horizon got reviewed before only because Zelda review embargo.

Tyaren

It happens with every Zelda. Previews come out stating it's the best since OoT, and then a few months later some people start to shit on it.

Yeah, browsing Neogaf I often feel like I'm the only one that loved Twilight Princess back when it came out and still now. :/

robotrock

Banned
I don't know if the game is barren or not, but when someone says an open world game is barren, they're not saying it is lacking in awesome-looking grass. They're usually saying there are not enough notable things to do. Again, no idea if that's the case in Horizon, but that image doesn't address the criticism.

yeah can only hope for a solid balance.

I listened to some of the giant bomb cast the other day (those guys seem a bit jaded but i still listened), the reviewer seemed to think that the game's map gets as bloated or as barren as you like it. sounds awesome

TheRaven476

Neo Member
I was looking at a gif that people were using to defend the whole "Zelda is so complex" it throws shade on Horizon. It was just a guy getting targeted by an attack and running behind a blob monster........ You know.... something you can do in Horizon, only it's much tougher to pull off because monsters are more dynamic and quick do they don't just stand there stationary allowing you to place them between yourself and the projectile.

But hey whatever...... Fanboys gotta Fanboy.

Elandyll

Banned
so is this game good? just saw the usgamer score and yikes...

You seem to spend a lot of time in the Giant Bomb thread...

surely you also saw this

Giant Bomb: 10/10

A per the overall reception, there is the range:

96-100: 11
90-95: 41
86-89: 7
80-85: 20
70-79: 3
60-69: 0
50-59: 1

Servbot24

Banned
yeah can only hope for a solid balance.

I listened to some of the giant bomb cast the other day (those guys seem a bit jaded but i still listened), the reviewer seemed to think that the game's map gets as bloated or as barren as you like it. sounds awesome

Yeah I don't think it's ever as simple as "there are lots of things". WindWaker is quite sparse and it's wonderful. Assassin's Creed is stuffed to the gills with icons and it's awful. Really depends on the game.

I don't know if the game is barren or not, but when someone says an open world game is barren, they're not saying it is lacking in awesome-looking grass. They're usually saying there are not enough notable things to do. Again, no idea if that's the case in Horizon, but that image doesn't address the criticism.

I can address it, it's not barren. The robots are everywhere.

robotrock

Banned
You seem to spend a lot of time in the Giant Bomb thread...

surely you also saw this

Giant Bomb: 10/10

A per the overall reception, there is the range:

96-100: 11
90-95: 41
86-89: 7
80-85: 20
70-79: 3
60-69: 0
50-59: 1

wow 10/10 from giant bomb? very cool...game is definitely on my radar

deoee

That's crazy, are people really calling Horizon barren? The game is so dense with geometry filling the whole screen. Surprised this is even the regular ps4 version.
7d09948e_o.png

I'm not following, there isn't a pc game that currently looks as good as Horizon on the pro.

Make a gif out of it for the love of everything there is, I NEED TO SEE THE GRAS MOVING

robotrock

Banned
Yeah I don't think it's ever as simple as "there are lots of things". WindWaker is quite sparse and it's wonderful. Assassin's Creed is stuffed to the gills with icons and it's awful. Really depends on the game.

Yup. People seem to think fairly highly of the horizon side content though, which sounds promising to me.

Man, I wish this game came out today so I could play it for the weekend...

I have TLG to finish, GR2 to start (Huge Backlog) but just can't get myself to turn on the PS4 for anything other than a quick round of Destiny...

I just want to run around in Aloy's world already.

That's crazy, are people really calling Horizon barren? The game is so dense with geometry filling the whole screen. Surprised this is even the regular ps4 version.
7d09948e_o.png

I'm not following, there isn't a pc game that currently looks as good as Horizon on the pro.

This looks absolutely unreal. I can't wait. Was uncharted 4 ever THIS hyped? i know it got a few better scores, but this game seems on another level of promise.

LotusHD

Banned

As was stated, that is not what people mean (usually) when they say a game is barren or looks empty.

robotrock

Banned
Didn't some reviews state it's standard open world stuff?

I'm basing this off of the Giant Bombcast, but they seemed to think the side content was good, praising some of the actual story beats in side content.

Most standard open world stuff usually feels tedious to me and often not worth doing so I hope it's not the case here. I'm hopeful.

Lol nice save

idk what this post is trying to say

As was stated, that is not what people mean (usually) when they say a game is barren or looks empty.

Even by those metrics, that doesn't appear to be the case. I guess if you remove the main draw of the game — intense combat with robot enemies — it may feel that way, but that's silly.

Garlador

7d09948e_o.png

I keep saying it... but Guerrilla Games are black magic wizards.

And this isn't even the Pro version.

It looks this good AND it runs like a dream.

robotrock

Banned
I keep saying it... but Guerrilla Games are black magic wizards.

And this isn't even the Pro version.

It looks this good AND it runs like a dream.

oh what the fuck? why did i buy a stupid ps4 pro then

goddamnit sony your studios need to support the ps4 pro better

This looks absolutely unreal. I can't wait. Was uncharted 4 ever THIS hyped? i know it got a few better scores, but this game seems on another level of promise.

As hyped as I am for Horizon, just personally, I've had far more hype for other games pre-launch that are just on another level.

Part of it is that now, I'm really excited given that it's received praise for almost all aspects of the game as opposed to my expectations prior, which had my excitement centered largely on combat grounds.

With stuff like Bloodborne, UC4 and Zelda, my hype tends to be way higher due to it being a known quantity, with a developer working in a field they've already proven themselves in. And because of that known quantity, the excitement builds to far greater levels over time.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
idk what this post is trying to say

You literally ignored dozens of other positive scores to point out the one negative score. You don't see anything wrong with that?

robotrock

Banned
You literally ignored dozens of other positive scores to point out the one negative score. You don't see anything wrong with that?

i like the US gamer review, thought it was worth mentioning in the review thread

i dont see any other scores on this page so excuse me if i missed any

As hyped as I am for Horizon, just personally, I've had far more hype for other games pre-launch that are just on another level.

Part of it is that now, I'm really excited given that it's received praise for almost all aspects of the game as opposed to my expectations prior, which had my excitement centered largely on combat grounds.

With stuff like Bloodborne, UC4 and Zelda, my hype tends to be way higher due to it being a known quantity, with a developer working in a field they've already proven themselves in. And because of that known quantity, the excitement builds to far greater levels over time.

There is so much hype that I basically decided to not get hyped for any game ever again.

I am looking forward to playing these games. That's it. Hype does more harm than good.

Even by those metrics, that doesn't appear to be the case. I guess if you remove the main draw of the game — intense combat with robot enemies — it may feel that way, but that's silly.

Yeah, that would be like saying "if my grandma would have a penis it would be my grandpa" but you know, she doesn't.

Uncharted 4 was more hyped I think. It's wise not too get too swept up in hype. Most people think this game is very good, but it's unlikely to change your life!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
i like the US gamer review, thought it was worth mentioning in the review thread

i dont see any other scores on this page so excuse me if i missed any

So you came into a review thread and didn't even bother checking the first page for review scores or even just the metacritic before posting. What did you think the responses would be? Surely you're not that oblivious.

At least you admit you didn't read the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom