• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much hype that I basically decided to not get hyped for any game ever again.

I am looking forward to playing these games. That's it. Hype does more harm than good.

Ha, I feel ya. I find that these days though, it's not too hard for me to separate expectations vs. hype due to previews/early impressions from folks, betas and so on.

Like with Horizon, I've been in the GAF threads a while. And I've always been super hesitant on the story/writing and excited for the combat. And I'd say despite being very anxious to see the story for myself given the positive praise it has gotten, I'm still in it mainly for the combat.

Even if I end up not liking the story, my expectations have been set for so long, that I don't think I'd be disappointed much.

Plus it's fun to get hype. :p During E3, me and my friends make EZA look game.

VanWinkle

I don't understand how this looks so good. A GAME IS NOT SUPPOSED TO LOOK THIS GOOD.

7d09948e_o.png

robotrock

Banned
So you came into a review thread and didn't even bother checking the first page for review scores or even just the metacritic before posting. What did you think the responses would be? Surely you're not that oblivious.

At least you admit you didn't read the OP.

I just didn't know what that poster meant by a "save." I missed out on 77 pages of discussion, so I'm sorry if the US Gamer review has been discussed to death already. Games are often polarizing, so I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience to the USgamer review, as it is an outlier. On NeoGAF, I often do find people who have a solid argument on why they don't like a game, even when the critical consensus is positive.

this thread in the front page must be pissing off a lot of people. thats why they are trying to get this locked,

shame

This was actually my goal here.

As hyped as I am for Horizon, just personally, I've had far more hype for other games pre-launch that are just on another level.

Part of it is that now, I'm really excited given that it's received praise for almost all aspects of the game as opposed to my expectations prior, which had my excitement centered largely on combat grounds.

With stuff like Bloodborne, UC4 and Zelda, my hype tends to be way higher due to it being a known quantity, with a developer working in a field they've already proven themselves in. And because of that known quantity, the excitement builds to far greater levels over time.

I can agree on bloodborne hype. I couldn't sleep after the leaks. It'll be hard to top that, for me. But I am super hyped for HZD.

As hyped as I am for Horizon, just personally, I've had far more hype for other games pre-launch that are just on another level.

Part of it is that now, I'm really excited given that it's received praise for almost all aspects of the game as opposed to my expectations prior, which had my excitement centered largely on combat grounds.

With stuff like Bloodborne, UC4 and Zelda, my hype tends to be way higher due to it being a known quantity, with a developer working in a field they've already proven themselves in. And because of that known quantity, the excitement builds to far greater levels over time.
I didn't have an account way back then but I've been lurking GAF for like 3 years, the project beast thread is still one of my favorites of all time . The hype train with everyone avatars was so funny

I haven't been this excited for a title in years, I need it.
It's at the point where my want for Horizon is making me, in general, play more games than I have in quite some time.

Skux

That's crazy, are people really calling Horizon barren? The game is so dense with geometry filling the whole screen. Surprised this is even the regular ps4 version.
7d09948e_o.png

I'm not following, there isn't a pc game that currently looks as good as Horizon on the pro.

It's the volumetric haze that really sells this picture (and pretty much every other Horizon shot). Further objects appear slightly faded out due to atmospheric moisture, giving it a sense of depth and realism.

QaaQer

Austin Walker and Patrick spend an hour comparing the two games for anyone who is interested on the latest Waypoint podcast.
Austin aligns with usgamer wrt HZD and fellates BotW, so trigger warning.

Austin Walker and Patrick spend an hour comparing the two games for anyone who is interested on the latest Waypoint podcast.
Austin aligns with usgamer wrt HZD and fellates BotW, so trigger warning.

This much was obvious during his preview in which he also compared the two.

Cyberia

So what else can we say about the game? If you own a PlayStation 4 or are thinking about getting one in the near future there's not many excuses to not pick up Horizon: Zero Dawn. The five years of time and effort that Guerrilla Games poured into the title is evident, and it's certainly one of the best open world action RPG experiences in recent memory.

http://www.gaming-age.com/2017/02/horizon-zero-dawn-review-ps4/

A (converts to 10 on MC)

Slayven

Guerrilla also put together a helpful and interesting dynamic “job creation” system that allows players to create a quest, or job, out of something as simple as obtaining materials to purchase a new outfit. The newly created activity then guides players through the steps of the process using the information that Aloy has gathered from the world and its inhabitants.

Good shit making grinding into something

CHC

Alright I bought it

First time in a while where I gave up on deal hunting and just bought full price off of PSN

feels(kinda)goodman.jpg

thuway

yup but we are humans after all

we do it with sports, countries, shows, cars... well anything

I just hope the WiiU version of BoTW runs and looks well
We are also adults and people with logical trains of thought who have rode through years of lackluster titles, failed IPs, skepticism of the art, and even cynicism if such and such company still has something worth contributing to the larger gaming market (its ironic that both Guerilla and EAD are the ones answering the critics).

Devlolving into a playground fight is not the discussion I want to see our community focus in on.

In any case, on both games-

I'm ecstatic.

Dynomutt

I've been visiting these forums for 6 years now. Had no idea... Lol.

I can't stop laughing. I never knew. This is me right now:

178970-awkward-black-kid-gif-imgur-ne-1yJo.gif

No....Stop lying....

kirk-rofl.gif

Wow...

Baby-Laughing-Hard-and-Falls-Over.gif

Like the good laugh from you stomach that makes you sigh. Just made my day.

Edit: I'm dying right now. LMFAO.

giphy.gif

Uncharted 4 was more hyped I think. It's wise not too get too swept up in hype. Most people think this game is very good, but it's unlikely to change your life!

Yea. It kinda already did man..
It's hard for me to play other games when I'm super hyped. Poor Nioh hasn't got played in a min because of the hype. I dunno I'm weird.

Zemm

Yep, I got flamed in the Zelda thread for making a graphics comparison of BotW to older gen hardware. Just because i didnt jizz my pants and only praise the game, i got ran out of town over there.

Hmm

Lol it looks like Shadow of the Colossus graphics, a PS2 game. God you fanboys get so defensive. I have a switch pre-ordered and will be getting Zelda day one. I'm just pointing out the obvious visuals. Keep kidding yourself then, its fine.

I wonder why people called your post stupid? Dunno how you can try and play the victim with posts that bad
1x

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Is this thread the longest review thread in GAF?

reKon

Banned
If I wanted to sell anyone on these forums on this game, all I'd have to show is clip of Miami's boss fight against the Thunder Jaw.

It's that good.

AtkO

If I wanted to sell anyone on these forums on this game, all I'd have to show is clip of Miami's boss fight against the Thunder Jaw.

It's that good.

I was sold on the game when the concept art leaked, still, where's the video plz?

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Amazon is supposed to ship my copy out today, but they sure are taking their sweet ass time! There goes my hope of accidentally getting it early lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom