• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

So close to getting to make my sex tape.

MriiHWd.gif

Floody

Also thinks it's silly MC lets games with as low as 15-20 reviews be on the all time highest rated list. Should be at least limited to 40+. Also always forget how well GTA4 reviewed, I just don't understand how it managed that. It's not like I hate it either, but it's such a massively flawed game on so many levels, that an also 100 average is just crazy, reviewers must have been blinded by the hype.

Yea. It kinda already did man..
It's hard for me to play other games when I'm super hyped. Poor Nioh hasn't got played in a min because of the hype. I dunno I'm weird.

I know what you mean. I'm hours into Nioh but I put it down once the previews started hitting. Just been playing PvZ: GW2 because it's so mindless, when I try and play a deep game I can't stick with it cuz Horizon is always on my mind lol.

Every Nintendo game launches on a Friday. Heck, Uncharted 4 launched on a Friday. ( Edit - Nope. It was originally set to release on a Friday, but got delayed) This Tuesday business definitely needs to stop. It's not the early 2000's anymore. Not every piece of media needs a Tuesday street date.

I 100% agree. The Tuesday releases needs to end. Almost every big that releases, they always get in the way of my exams. Friday is the best day for releases.

105088-because-its-Friday-gif-you-ain-X9PR.gif

Also thinks it's silly MC lets games with as low as 15-20 reviews of the all time highest rated list. Should be at least limited to 40+. Also always forget how well GTA4 reviewed, I just don't understand how it managed that. It's not like I hate it either, but it's such a massively flawed game on so many levels, that an also 100 average is just crazy, reviewers must have been blinded by the hype.

Lack of being critical and hand waving a games obvious problems, it happens a lot with the media when it concerns a big franchise.

GTA IV gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its story from a mere shoot-em-up to an Oscar-caliber drama. Every facet of Rockstar's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

You cant make this shit up.

Early 2008 was the apex of hyperbole in the gaming press. GTA IV's review scores were just as ridiculous then as they are now. And I'm not someone to harp on reviewers at all, but they were absolutely over-the-top when dealing with that game. Hilary Goldstein's IGN review is absolutely laughable. One of the reasons games criticism is so much harsher now is because of shit like that. People stopped taking these outlets seriously.

Skeeter49

I did one 8AM class my freshman year and never did it again. Horrible.
Had no choice, a health class where that was the only time slot.
The only thing I'm grateful for is that I haven't fallen asleep in that class yet.
Me and the nearest seat when I walk out the class door have a lot of quality time together though.
Makes it hard to get excited for games I don't get until 8:00 at night.

Alo0oy

Banned
I have no idea who that is but the video doesn't really say anything different from what other reviewers have said about the game.

He's a gamergator, right now he's busy on twitter calling everyone an SJW for liking the game. I wouldn't trust anything from that publication if they have people like that writing for them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He's a gamergator, right now he's busy on twitter calling everyone an SJW for liking the game. I wouldn't trust anything from that publication if they have people like that writing for them.

Its about ethics in robot dinosaurs

Loudninja

That praise

The fact that Guerilla Games has created one of the most vibrant and beautifully envisioned open worlds in a video game to date, and that this is one of the least impressive things about Horizon Zero Dawn, should speak volumes. This game is, above all else, a narrative triumph: a nuanced hero's journey that blends tried-and-tested tribal fantasy tropes to a particularly poignant and humanistic brand of post-apocalyptic sci-fi.
http://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/horizon-zero-dawn

Skeeter49

Lack of being critical and hand waving a games obvious problems, it happens a lot with the media when it concerns a big franchise.

You cant make this shit up.
I found Nico as such a boring character, and missions felt uninspired and predictable. SA still holds the record for most varied and most interesting missions.

autoduelist

Also thinks it's silly MC lets games with as low as 15-20 reviews be on the all time highest rated list. Should be at least limited to 40+. Also always forget how well GTA4 reviewed, I just don't understand how it managed that. It's not like I hate it either, but it's such a massively flawed game on so many levels, that an also 100 average is just crazy, reviewers must have been blinded by the hype.

I absolutely loved GTA4, and understand why it got the reviews it got. For it's time, it offered a very well realized world, especially in regards to general random npc behaviors and spontaneous gameplay opportunities. Couple that with a 'mature' take on the GTA world, boatloads of content [both gameplay wise and more hidden, like full on comedy shows by famous comedians] and it's no surprise that it swept reviews.

Now, a lot of us realllllly wanted more, more, more of what GTA SA gave us -- territory wars, wild side activies, etc, and GTA4 toned all that back and gave us 'dating' and other less glamorous side activies, so it's also no surprise many people were disappointed by it. I know I was, at, first, but then 4 grew on me and won out.

Ultimately, a lot of the things GTA4 did have been evolved greatly since, so going back it's hard to see how cutting edge it was. For example, RDR really pushed forward the concept of random events, etc. But at the time of release, it was pretty epic.

I'm actually currently replaying GTA5 right now (beat it on ps3, halfway through on ps4) and it's just so freaking good.

Floody

I absolutely loved GTA4, and understand why it got the reviews it got. For it's time, it offered a very well realized world, especially in regards to general random npc behaviors and spontaneous gameplay opportunities. Couple that with a 'mature' take on the GTA world, boatloads of content [both gameplay wise and more hidden, like full on comedy shows by famous comedians] and it's no surprise that it swept reviews.

Now, a lot of us realllllly wanted more, more, more of what GTA SA gave us -- territory wars, wild side activies, etc, and GTA4 toned all that back and gave us 'dating' and other less glamorous side activies, so it's also no surprise many people were disappointed by it. I know I was, at, first, but then 4 grew on me and won out.

Ultimately, a lot of the things GTA4 did have been evolved greatly since, so going back it's hard to see how cutting edge it was. For example, RDR really pushed forward the concept of random events, etc. But at the time of release, it was pretty epic.

I'm actually currently replaying GTA5 right now (beat it on ps3, halfway through on ps4) and it's just so freaking good.

I agree with what you said, it's definitely were it's strength are, but that part was never really why I'm always surprised at how well it reviewed. It's the controls (especially the driving), mostly unlikeable characters, very repetitive missions (why the only mission I remember fondly from that game is the bank heist), and it's just a very ugly game, I know not really fair, but I think it was kinda intentionally done to some degree, and why I think a 98 average is just crazy, a high 80 would be understandable, but not high 90, that's like pretty much flawless imo.
Also thought it took itself too seriously, but that's more of a minor complaint from me. I think a big reason I really loved Ballad of Gay Tony was because it fixed a lot of those, expect the car handling.

I think GTA5 is great too, don't care much for the MP and disappointed that that got all the post release support, but it's a very good game.

Floored to consistently see the narrative being praised in these reviews. I was outspoken about my low expectations for the story and this and criticized Guerrilla's ability to provide a good one so I will gladly eat some crow on Tuesday.

The Zelda stans ain't gonna like that one bit.

The fact that Guerilla Games has created one of the most vibrant and beautifully envisioned open worlds in a video game to date, and that this is one of the least impressive things about Horizon Zero Dawn, should speak volumes.

Horizon is supposed to be like Mad Max part two without the cool parts. A wasteland. Clearly this person was paid off.

In Horizon Zero Dawn, there are robot animals to fight, bloodthirsty bandits to eliminate and millennium-spanning mysteries to uncover. Yet, every time I turned a corner in this lushly detailed video game world, I was sucked into some incredible new spectacle.

Also a lie. The world is lifeless. Barren. Empty.

Karak

So posting my review in a couple minutes but I can say that while I did catalog more issues than it seems any other reviewers had or mentioned. The fact is that game is by far more than the sum of it's parts.
A great deal of it for me comes from their excellent handling of map mess and overly fluffy open world game design being leashed a considerable amount. It results in a game that might not have as many activities on the side for months if you want to collect feathers and some shit. But at the 35th hour I felt like i was on my 3rd.

Realeza

Banned
The Zelda stans ain't gonna like that one bit.

Horizon is supposed to be like Mad Max part two without the cool parts. A wasteland. Clearly this person was paid off.

Also a lie. The world is lifeless. Barren. Empty.

Zelda stans aren't even aware of the existence of "slant" lmao

cheesekao

So posting my review in a couple minutes but I can say that while I did catalog more issues than it seems any other reviewers had or mentioned. The fact is that game is by far more than the sum of it's parts.
A great deal of it for me comes from their excellent handling of map mess and overly fluffy open world game design being leashed a considerable amount. It results in a game that might not have as many activities on the side for months if you want to collect feathers and some shit. But at the 35th hour I felt like i was on my 3rd.
By issues do you mean technical issues or stuff you aren't too fond of?

Krakin

Let us know as soon as it's up.

barit

I hope we get a Make of special or something that shows GG road from the first concepts (I still remember the leaks on GAF with those super awesome concept arts) to the final days before releasing. Love this kind of stuff especially when the game became a hit later on.

VanWinkle

Do we know what time the game is playable digitally? Specifically in Eastern US time zone. I have it preordered on Amazon, but I'm kind of tempted to get it digitally instead just so I can play it at midnight.

carlsojo

Do we know what time the game is playable digitally? Specifically in Eastern US time zone. I have it preordered on Amazon, but I'm kind of tempted to get it digitally instead just so I can play it at midnight.

I believe I saw on playstation's official twitter that the game is up 9PM PST digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom