• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godchild1020

Neo Member
Just started this as well and the introduction is amazing.

The introduction draws you in and makes you want to learn more (I am speaking for myself).

For those of you going for the platinum/trophies; From the beginning explore. From the beginning it feels like GG encourages it.

And if anyone of you seen the trailer for God of War; it feels like a small introduction.

The seamless transitation to cutscenes and gameplay is great (I'm coming off from playing Dragon quest Heroes). So I'm amazed easily.

B.O.O.M

Lol I got mine from a local shop that I know. My Best Buy pre-order for the collectors edition is coming on release day. Gonna end up giving this copy to a friend.

Don't think I have a gaming shop anywhere near me ..sigh oh well not that long of a wait anyways I guess. (sadly since it's the middle of the week, I don't think I'll get to play it until Thursday :( )

AtkO

OK this pic proves that this game at its best looks better than U4 and any other game I've seen, don't know how they got it running on OG PS4, it's black magic.

And Ni-Oh is not a good example for anything, let's be honest it's no more than PS3 visuals at full HD at most.
Ha, funny you say this, since it was initially a PS3 game =D

X-Frame

Hearing of copies being released in NYC tempted me to commute into the city to grab it -- but I can hold out for a few more days since I'd much rather have a Digital copy.

Fair enough, and yes it does depend, but there are some examples that you can't help but chuckle at.
Way I parse it, is that anything from trailers, big press events, TV spots and clips, are fair game

Stuff from more obscure sources like streams and interviews can go either way depending on known and well-covered the event was and how major the info is, but in those cases, it's usually better to tag rather than not

Dre3001

Reviews are much better than I was expecting. I havent had a chance to check out most of the reviews yet but for those who have already picked up a copy early, how is the stealth in the game?

tootie923

God damn lmao. That might be the ugliest kid I've ever seen. She's pretty damn hideous xD

Reminds me of that creepy ass kid from Medal of Honor.

I immediately thought of that poor boy Charlie in the Colony TV show. Someone inflicted a hideous wig on him for half the season.

nup_175106_0035.jpg

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Way I parse it, is that anything from trailers, big press events, TV spots and clips, are fair game

Stuff from more obscure sources like streams and interviews can go either way depending on known and well-covered the event was and how major the info is, but in those cases, it's usually better to tag rather than not
The screenshots in question were from the ACG review, would you like me to spoiler tag them?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well the local mom and pop shop didn't have Horizon for sale. Guess I'll try and beat Gravity Rush 2

This is a good video game. Started playing last night and already have six and a half hours into it by midday today. Feel like I've hardly scrapped the surface too.

Reviews are much better than I was expecting. I havent had a chance to check out most of the reviews yet but for those who have already picked up a copy early, how is the stealth in the game?

There's an icon on the screen that shows how visible you are as well as indicators to show how loud you are. If you run, chances are they'll hear/see you. You can crouch walk and hide in tall grass to be completely invisible. You can also throw rocks to lure enemies to a spot and get the jump on them.

This is just from the beginning tutorial. Don't know what other things they may introduce once you get farther.

Not really a spoiler IMO but I'll play on the safe side:

There's an icon on the screen that shows how visible you are as well as indicators to show how loud you are. If you run, chances are they'll hear/see you. You can crouch walk and hide in tall grass to be completely invisible. You can also throw rocks to lure enemies to a spot and get the jump on them.

This is just from the beginning tutorial. Don't know what other things they may introduce once you get farther.
Let's not get too crazy. No need to tag basic mechanics that have been shown in E3 presentations and whatnot

ClearData

Who is shipping early to the US?

I wish I knew 😂

I'll be sleepless while I wait for the post. Cheers to the digital peeps that preload and unlock this game at midnight. I didn't go that route because I wanted to lend my game to my cousin after I'm finished with minimal hassle.

reKon

Banned
lol just you wait. That's a rather mediocre-looking area for the game. It's mind-blowing later.

There's no way that it tops the craziest moments of Uncharted 4 where there's a million things going on on screen without dropping frames. I don't care that's you've played the game already, lol.

Current spoiler culture is pretty ridiculous, especially in the face of growing evidence that spoilers enhance your enjoyment of products the first time though.

Actually swore out loud over the arrogance of this post.

You sound like the British Empire. Don't know what those savages are complaining about, we brought them civilisation!

MastAndo

G0HegGh.jpg

Just picked up copies for myself and a friend here in NYC. Traffic and parking in the area is a nightmare at this time, so opted to cab it over - chalk that up to an early access fee, I suppose. :)

Tomeru

I just noticed that
Brom's sister
, when she speaks, the skin around her eyes and on her chin changes, like there are actual muscles underneath. It really is remarkable, I don't think I've seen this anywhere else.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Local mom and pop was a no go. Looks like im waiting till tuesday.

I hate this middle of the week game releasing crap.

J_Viper

I'm still fairly early in the game, but so far my impressions are very positive

+ Even on my 1440p monitor, which tends to mess with image quality when used with a console, the game looks gorgeous. This is of course, supported with incredible art design. In the 3-4 hours I haven't caught a single frame drop, it has been a steady 30 throughout. This is on a base PS4.

+ Mechanics are very smooth. I feel in complete control of Aloy's actions, without ever having to wrestle with the controls. Imagine modern Tomb Raider with much more precise aiming. Another point for quick scaling

+ I've only completed three side quests so far, and even though they weren't the deepest, they were certainly more enjoyable than the average fetch quest

+ Aloy is already a great character. Ashly does a fine job voicing her, and the rest of the characters are either right there, or serviceable, at the very worst, aside from the infamous "Brom Scene". That's still hysterically bad.

- Some of the dialogue, particularly in the prelude is a bit rough, but it's performed well.

- Speaking of the prelude, it could've been a cut-scene and would've had the same impact. I didn't find it entirely necessary to "play" though.

EDIT: whoops, thought this was the impressions thread, my bad

Lemondish

Current spoiler culture is pretty ridiculous, especially in the face of growing evidence that spoilers enhance your enjoyment of products the first time though.

They may be true, but you're giving up the enjoyment and catharsis you achieve by angrily yelling at people anonymously. You think it's easy to find valid reasons to scream at others?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom