• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

I hope reviewers have Horizon fresh in their minds when looking at Zelda.

Horizon is a new IP with no preconceived notions or reputation around its quality and was reviewed as such.

I hope Zelda gets the same treatment and reviewers leave their rose-tinted glasses off and judge the game on its own merits and not just give it high scores because it has Zelda in the title.

Would it even be the same reviewers? They are big games released so close together, I'm not sure you can review both properly at the same time.

ACE 1991

A couple aspects, which were in games far before far cry. There is a lot that is nothing like FC. Horizon is known for being more streamlined and solving the open world bloat issue. Other reviews detail this....

Ok. I'm sure I'll pick it up when it's cheap one day, just doesn't seem at all like a day one for me personally :)

geordiemp

No, I just really value Eurogamer's opinion, they are absolutely my favorite site for reviews. .

Now, the way I see it is Eurogamer is so far up its own arse its quite funny.

I remember some of the first Ps4 games were market down for being Not original enough or not next gen enough.

But you can bet you bottom that they score Mario Kart 8 highly and not mention that same shit. LOL my ass of. Thats not a dis-respect of MK8, its just making the point about originality or whatever is just bullshit that ssuits their mark down cause.

As soon as I see not original enough when most games borrow from previous, or story not strong enough when some games are save the princess, or not next gen enough I know the reviewer is full of shit and just looking to have an excuse to mark it down.

Just read some of the 8's, it will say open world failings etc, but I bet they dont critisise the next open world game they review. If I read and 8 or 7 and its because gameplay is poor or tech / other real issues, then fair enough...useful.

Its called consistency, and i have no respect for some reviewers trying to be edgy with crap mark down reasons.

gweemz

Glad this game is reviewing well. Not going to pick it up until later (because of Zelda) , but looks like this is going to be a must-buy for my ps4.

Ok. I'm sure I'll pick it up when it's cheap one day, just doesn't seem at all like a day one for me personally :)

I don't really enjoy open world games, but this looks solid enough and streamlined enough that I'll give it a try eventually.

sort of like how I feel about FPS games (reaaally don't like them) but Deus Ex HR and MD were decent enough to give them a shot regardless. maybe in a few months, but not a day 1 buy for me.

I hope reviewers have Horizon fresh in their minds when looking at Zelda.

Horizon is a new IP with no preconceived notions or reputation around its quality and was reviewed as such.

I hope Zelda gets the same treatment and reviewers leave their rose-tinted glasses off and judge the game on its own merits and not just give it high scores because it has Zelda in the title.

Considering Phantom Hourglass got a 90 which cannot be justified by the game's quality alone (since it's a bad game), I wouldn't bet on it.

Loudninja

Masterful storytelling has you hooked within the first five minutes as Guerrilla sets up the narrative with a deft hand. Not only will you immediately be drawn to the plot, you'll care deeply about Aloy as well.
The star of the show, Aloy is voiced superbly by Ashly Burch but she is not alone. The cast of characters in Horizon Zero Dawn is not only immense but rife with talent. There's nothing worse than having a well-crafted narrative sold short by shoddy voice work and thankfully you don't need to worry about that here. Other sound design elements such as the valves and pistons of the machines or the accompanying soundtrack were all afforded the same level of attention. Guerrilla simply did not slip on any facet of the game.
http://cogconnected.com/review/horizon-zero-dawn-review/

Congrats GG, as a developer you shine when you are stubborn. Killzone 2 is a classic and now I hope I can give Horizon that status also.

Deku Tree

Zelda always gets a pass despite it's shittiness.

Regardless of what you may think of the quality of the Zelda games, they don't "always get a pass":

Mainline Zelda Metacritic History

99 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 1998

95 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 2000

95 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2002

95 The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition 2003 (free Zelda GC bundle disk)

95 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 2006

94 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 2011

93 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 2011

91 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 2013

90 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD 2013

89 The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap 2005

89 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D 2015

86 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD 2016

73 The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes 2015

Welp, it's inevitable at this point. That Horizon vs Zelda thread will happen. Here is a sneak preview.

giphy.gif

tumblr_o3usn2fEBA1rdbd0qo3_r1_500.gif

O3DHIA5.gif

reKon

Banned
Looks like the dev's payed attention to how the S.T.A.L.K.E.R devs built their world.

I need a list of open world games like this. As I've stated, in the past, I love games where I can use the bow as a primary weapon. The fact that this is the main weapon + random sidequests can be activated in the middle of a main quest + random hilarious encounters + intense battles = likely will be one my favorites this gen.

BTA

exactly.
I get your point, but "I need to pay bills" is not an excuse for a poor review. And yeah, everyone has opinions and all- but when one wildly diverges from consensus it should have a fairly solid reason for doing so.

How does her not liking the game make the review itself poor? And what consensus? Was this review posted long after the others? Because if it wasn't, how could the writer have any idea what this consensus was such that she needed to justify it? How would she know that her opinion was going to differ so much?

(I also disagree with the need to justify it, and I think people would just be picking on that justification if it was there, but...)

Should we excuse the IGN 4.0 to God Hand, or the infamous football manager 2009 2.0 review as well for the same reasons? Pretty sure we've been raking IGN over the coals for THOSE two for damned near a decade. At some point giving a review to someone that doesn't enjoy the game or doesn't understand it isn't defensible.

A good reviewer should be able to be objective and score a game that does not cater to their particular sensibilities but that is STILL a good game appropriately- and it does not seem that this reviewer was able to do that. If that's the case, find another line of work to pay bills.

Who's this we that thinks acting like that is a rational and mature way to behave? It sure doesn't include me. The way people whine about IGN's reviews, years apart, with different reviewers, annoys the hell out of me. There's nothing to "excuse" because there was little to no problem to begin with. The fact that people still do it all this time later is embarrassing, not a sign that everyone should get in line. (Particularly as certain people have decided to use those same reviews to complain about good indie games getting praise, but I digress.)

Furthermore: I love God Hand. God Hand's fucking weird. I can see why someone gave it a 4. In general, I love a lot of game that are janky messes and I can see why people review them badly. "Good" is subjective. We may enjoy different things. If you really do not enjoy a thing you might have a hard time seeing the "good" in it that I love. And I should not need to keep literally everyone else in the world in mind when writing about my feelings on a game.

Glad this is getting such high praise, was def planning on getting this down the line in a few months so it's good I know I can certainly look forward to it.

Regardless of what you may think of the quality of the Zelda games, they don't "always get a pass":

I think we have a different definition of what "mainline" is. : p

Lorcain

Glad this game is reviewing well. Not going to pick it up until later (because of Zelda) , but looks like this is going to be a must-buy for my ps4.
Same for me. I'm really happy it's reviewing so well. I'm still enjoying Nioh and Gravity Rush2, and soon Zelda. So many good games.

I'm a sucker for good sci-fi games. I especially like the setting of a primitive human culture having to rise back up again.

Take away spinoff games and hd remakes... yea loooks like they " always get a pass" shrug idc either way but let's call a spade a spade.

reKon

Banned
I mean I knew this what happen in this thread ones the reviews coming through started slowing down. Mods should just start banning at any mention of Zelda now. There's really no point to this thread anymore. I can't even talk about the game without seeing a shit load of unrelated posts in this thread. It's always the fucking comparisons to other games and a low review score that ruins threads like these.

Should we excuse the IGN 4.0 to God Hand, or the infamous football manager 2009 2.0 review as well for the same reasons? Pretty sure we've been raking IGN over the coals for THOSE two for damned near a decade. At some point giving a review to someone that doesn't enjoy the game or doesn't understand it isn't defensible..
Absolutely. It never should have been an issue in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom