• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

ZTGD 8/10
I really enjoyed my time in the world of Horizon. From its gorgeous landscapes to its interesting combat, the game feels like a world begging to be explored. However, some of its systems feel half-baked and shoehorned into the mix, creating a lopsided experience at times. Still, like most Sony first-party games, it still feels like a special event, and I would love to see Guerrilla Games get another shot at something outside the Killzone universe, heck I would definitely be in for another game in the Horizon universe. This is a great experience, and one PS4 owners will definitely not want to miss.
http://www.ztgd.com/horizon-zero-dawn/horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-review/

I have a feeling that Ars and Kotaku are going to be 9.5 or 10s...
They read like that at least.

When would Edge's score normally come out? Along with the mag I guess? (In a week or so maybe?)

Kotaku and Ars don't get factored in since they're unscored reviews.

Why can't we all just be happy for the incredible start this year has had? Arguing over reviews and franchise notoriety will just leave us running in circles. Let's get excited about how awesome a time it is be gaming right now.

Not

Banned
yas queen

Horizon-Zero-Dawn%E2%84%A2_20170217152039.jpg

Maybe in the next game we'll see Aloy with some realistic shredded abs :p

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Why can't we all just be happy for the incredible start this year has had? Arguing over reviews and franchise notoriety will just leave us running in circles. Let's get excited about how awesome a time it is be gaming right now.
Of course not. If people aren't shitting on games or bad-mouthing platforms they don't own simply because they're competing with their favorite piece of plastic, then it ain't NeoGAF.

This gen feels like its really kicking off now. And man is it this a good time to have a PS4.

I've got an actual backlog filled with amazing games right now, but the hits keep on comin'

Good times indeed.

Razgreez

Caty at US Gamer that reviewed the game a 2.5/5 started reviewing games last week.

Y'all haters gonna hate. This game is definitely "C-tier sci-fi".

It's a review thread so let people argue over reviews if they want'. All the Z talk and comparisons though, those are uncessary

MoonFrog

It is differently informed, but "valid" doesn't really mean anything. What does "valid" mean in terms of "opinion"? I hate country music, so if I review a country album and say it's garbage I can still claim my opinion is valid, right? I'm not saying this is what the USGamer review did, but I'm taking your position to it's logical endgame.

I think most people tie validity into their trust in a reviewer. And that trust is built up by the reviewer being able to speak intelligently about a game or genre, and to be able to critique aspects of it that others would likely agree with. It's a kind of collective subjectivity that takes the place of objectivity. Since the reviewer for USGamer has very little history of reviews, and seems to always be treading significantly lower in her scores than the average, it gives the implication that her opinion isn't going to be "valid" for the average gamer. Maybe her review will be valid with those who generally have a negative outlook on games in general, but that crowd is certainly an outlier.
All valid means is that, if the premises are true, then the conclusion is true, i.e. that the conclusion follows logically from the premise.

I think on the internet it means something like "valuable, worthwhile."

Simply astonishing reviews.

With their first open world RPG Guerilla is standing toe to toe with the RPG giants of the industry, and possibly eclipsed quite a few in their own right.

Where we go from here with a more powerful Guerilla Games is exciting indeed.

I never considered them in the upper echelon of Sony 1st party, but I do now.

Well I should play the game first I guess.

ironcreed

Banned

No doubt. I am already overwhelmed with great games to play and there is no end in sight. It is an avalanche of awesome.

awesome.gif

are you people ACTUALLY comparing a new IP that scored 88 to an Iconic Masterpiece like Zelda ?? are you joking ?

Zelda is the ONLY game that can make me buy a whole system for it alone( not gonna buy switch since it's one the wii u too

i bought 3ds for Ocraina of time 3d and Link between worlds, even though i enjoyed other games but the zelda games were my reason to buy the system

bought the worst console ever made in history, Wii u, just for Zelda Wind waker HD, enjoyed only 3 games on that shitty system, WWhd, TPhd and MH3U, and the zelda games alone are worth the purchase

the only iconic masterpiece series that is still alive in this gen that i can actually compare it to Zelda is MGS( i know it may be dead now but the last game still amazing so i'm assuming it's still alive until we see MGS 6)
Perfect example of the difference in someone merely bringing up Zelda as a point of comparison and ... whatever this is.

Majmun

are you people ACTUALLY comparing a new IP that scored 88 to an Iconic Masterpiece like Zelda ?? are you joking ?

Zelda is the ONLY game that can make me buy a whole system for it alone( not gonna buy switch since it's one the wii u too

i bought 3ds for Ocraina of time 3d and Link between worlds, even though i enjoyed other games but the zelda games were my reason to buy the system

bought the worst console ever made in history, Wii u, just for Zelda Wind waker HD, enjoyed only 3 games on that shitty system, WWhd, TPhd and MH3U, and the zelda games alone are worth the purchase

the only iconic masterpiece series that is still alive in this gen that i can actually compare it to Zelda is MGS( i know it may be dead now but the last game still amazing so i'm assuming it's still alive until we see MGS 6)

Only a console??

Pffff

People are buying Ps4Pro's AND 4k tv's for this game!!

wenaldy

Sorry for bringing up this post but wuttt.

iR29E7S.jpg

hughesta

Banned
God damn these scores are great. Maybe I'll pick it up down the line, just far too busy at the moment to get it on release. Really happy for GG though :)

Loudninja

Guerrilla isn't known for telling especially good stories, but they have nailed it here. Horizon's story is deep, personal and profoundly intriguing. Aloy's tale of self-discovery and revenge is well written with plenty of revelations that subvert expectations. The main quest is remarkably long and can take up to thirty hours to complete depending on the difficulty. Two things sell the story: the world and Aloy. Horizon's world-building has successfully created a universe that is both mysterious and thrilling to explore. Aloy, as an outcast all her life, is our eyes into the world. As she learns about the different tribes and their various customs, we learn with her. As she learns to take on the different machines, we learn how to as well. It's the past, however, that takes the cake. Aloy's journey will take her deep into the ruins of our civilization, which contain the best bits of plot detail. It's hard to put down the controller when Guerrilla has crafted something so intriguing.
Aloy is a fantastic protagonist. She isn't a hero raised on a pedestal, but rather a lowly outcast striving for acceptance and understanding. Written and performed superbly, Aloy's character arc is one that is capable of making players feel her pain, frustration and victories. She steals the show, but there are a handful of other characters that are just as colorful and well-rounded as she is.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/02/20/review-horizon-zero-dawn/247340/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom