• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyp53

I know it's an aggregate site. That's why I put the word average between quotes and used the word "calculate". If the MC score was really an average number, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.
They have a formula that they won't reveal. I wasn't trying to correct you. just pointing what I knew out. No need to be frisky.

Tesser

Well, this is awkward.

All I was going to say was that I genuinely believe Horizon will end up with a higher OpenCritic/Metacritic score than BotW. It might even end up being the better game all-round. I'm sure Zelda will get 9's and 10's when its reviews roll out, but speaking as a Nintendo fan and a Zelda fan, from everything I've seen and played, Horizon seems to have a lot more potential and these reviews may very well reflect said potential being met.

Put it this way, three people (myself included) have put their name down to review Zelda for the site I write for...compared to ten for Horizon (Nier is the second most-requested at eight). Plus the fact the review embargo was MORE than a week before release is a clear indicator Sony were more than confident Guerrilla had done some spot-on work.

But the real million-dollar question is this: how long until the plethora of cross-over Playstation fan-art that has Aloy chilling it out with Kat, Crash, 2B and co.

Up to 89 now? Oh man its so close to 90. That would be amazing for a new IP performance if it can get there.

Any reviews out there still that can push it there?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's actually a bad game though

Anyway gee Horizon's looking swell!
I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad game, just a very shitty Zelda with certain design choices that I couldn't stand. I'm scared BOTW will end up similar with the unbelievably stupid and frustrating looking weapon durability system. The Washing Pole in Dark Souls looks like it lasts longer than the shit in BOTW. :(

I don't get it do people seriously think that somehow the difference between an 88 to a 90 will somehow make everyone think this game is universally good or something?

The game is already extremely highly reviewed. That is already cemented. Getting two more points isn't going to change anything. If you were waiting for reviews to purchase, there's no longer a need to wait, this game is basically universally acclaimed at this point from a critical pov.

Would you want to fly with a pilot that's flying the passenger plane for the second time in his career or the 290th time?

Um... so go pick any of the other 70 pilots with lots of experience and pass on this one?

StoopKid

I don't get it do people seriously think that somehow the difference between an 88 to a 90 will somehow make everyone think this game is universally good or something?

The game is already extremely highly reviewed. That is already cemented. Getting two more points isn't going to change anything. If you were waiting for reviews to purchase, there's no longer a need to wait, this game is basically universally acclaimed at this point from a critical pov.

It's extremely rare for a AAA game to get over 90 this gen.

That's why I'm interested in the scores.

Memento

It is just that a 90 is so hard this gen that would be awesome for Horizon to get there.

People like games they enjoy or are excited for to have higher aggregate scores. It's as simple as that. They want to see the things they love succeed as much as possible.

It's extremely rare for a AAA game to get over 90 this gen.

That's why I'm interested in the scores.

It is just that a 90 is so hard this gen that would be awesome for Horizon to get there.

Even an 88 is extremely hard to get. Isn't that already awesome for Horizon? Add to that that it's a new IP, which automatically gets it more scrutiny.

I mean none of this really matters to me since I played it at PSX and it was already a 90+ in my book just from that short demo.

I just don't get why people can't just be happy already. The game is already critically one of the gems of this year regardless if it stays at 88 or goes up to 90.

Elandyll

Banned
Up to 89 now? Oh man its so close to 90. That would be amazing for a new IP performance if it can get there.

Any reviews out there still that can push it there?
At this point the game is probably teetering on the edge between 88 and 89.

Bringing it to 90 MC average would probably need a few 10s, and no less than 95 from Edge imo.

Possible, but unlikely overall.

89 would be a great score to end up with though, so Np :)

Gaz_RB

Alright guys let's put our heads together. Let's dig up all the dirt we can to try to invalidate that USGamer review because it doesn't mesh with our preconceived notions of how good Horizon is and obviously her opinion is wrong.

LotusHD

Banned

Because it's neat seeing something get a 90+ score nowadays, it's not easily handed out. And if you're already into a game, having a high a score as possible is neat.
Also for some, it makes it harder for Zelda to potentially beat it.

joecanada

are you people ACTUALLY comparing a new IP that scored 88 to an Iconic Masterpiece like Zelda ?? are you joking ?

Zelda is the ONLY game that can make me buy a whole system for it alone( not gonna buy switch since it's one the wii u too

i bought 3ds for Ocraina of time 3d and Link between worlds, even though i enjoyed other games but the zelda games were my reason to buy the system

bought the worst console ever made in history, Wii u, just for Zelda Wind waker HD, enjoyed only 3 games on that shitty system, WWhd, TPhd and MH3U, and the zelda games alone are worth the purchase

the only iconic masterpiece series that is still alive in this gen that i can actually compare it to Zelda is MGS( i know it may be dead now but the last game still amazing so i'm assuming it's still alive until we see MGS 6)

3/10 too obvious

3/10

neoglow

Banned
At the end of the day a review is still just one persons opinion but it's interesting when one or two sites give a low score in a myriad of glowing reviews.

An attempt to tarnish the game (Alien Isolation and IGN springs to mind) or an honest opinion?

Either way I'm even more hyped after seeing those review scores. I just know I'm gonna love this game.

that's disappointing

on a scale of FFXV to Witcher 3, how good are the side quests ?

Heh, nice scale.

Somewhere in-between. Closer to the Witcher 3 with regard to writing quality, but there's not as many. Witcher 3 is a way bigger game (bordering on bloated, I'd argue). Horizon is like a trimmed down RPG in places where it matters. Lots to do, but the main story and combat are definitely the main attractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom