• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I-hate-u

To the GAF people hyping up Zelda like no other, I am not the biggest fan of the games, but didn't Skyward Sword, the last console entry, not impress like the previous games? Gaf voted the likes of Duex Ex and Skyrim over it, not to mention Dark Souls.

Why are we sure it's going to be received in the caliber of OoT and MM?

Loving this:

Horizon's story is deep, personal and profoundly intriguing. Aloy's tale of self-discovery and revenge is well written with plenty of revelations that subvert expectations. The main quest is remarkably long and can take up to thirty hours to complete depending on the difficulty

I adopted a child so they could also experience the wonders of Horizon!

LOL.

The Lamp

Hold the fuck up. That reviewer really just said that this dethroned Uncharted 4 graphically? Best looking open world game ever? Yeah I can see that. But dethroning Uncharted 4? Nah...

It's real. Except Horizon's facial animation is nothing like Uncharted 4-level quality.

shwimpy

To the GAF people hyping up Zelda like no other, I am not the biggest fan of the games, but didn't Skyward Sword, the last console entry, not impress like the previous games? Gaf voted the likes of Duex Ex and Skyrim over it, not to mention Dark Souls.

Why are we sure it's going to be received in the caliber of OoT and MM?
IMO, 3D Zelda has been mediocre since Wind Waker. Pretty excited for BOTW though... spending 400 bucks to play that sucker. :/

haxamin

are you people ACTUALLY comparing a new IP that scored 88 to an Iconic Masterpiece like Zelda ?? are you joking ?

Zelda is the ONLY game that can make me buy a whole system for it alone( not gonna buy switch since it's one the wii u too

i bought 3ds for Ocraina of time 3d and Link between worlds, even though i enjoyed other games but the zelda games were my reason to buy the system

bought the worst console ever made in history, Wii u, just for Zelda Wind waker HD, enjoyed only 3 games on that shitty system, WWhd, TPhd and MH3U, and the zelda games alone are worth the purchase

the only iconic masterpiece series that is still alive in this gen that i can actually compare it to Zelda is MGS( i know it may be dead now but the last game still amazing so i'm assuming it's still alive until we see MGS 6)

ZpVzLqX.png

There was an entire thread full of gaffers bawling and shaking like they just had the biggest nut in their life.

I mean, I thought the trailer was neat but god damn.
well, I gotta give credit to nintendo where its due. i was only really into nintendo stuff when i was a child and it was just mario, so i don't know zelda, can't knock zelda but for those who it's beloved, it sure hits close to home.

And what? Skyward Sword is now a bad game?

I'd reckon it was never THAT good to begin with, also
Looking at that Metacritic, yeah, I'm coming around that Zelda games ride the laurels of their predecessors a smidge. If only a smidge.

This was the point I was trying to make. But I digress.

These reviews have convinced me to pick up a PS4, specially since Jim fucking Sterling son of all people is praising it so highly. Between this and Andromeda, March is gonna feel like Fall.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Current Metacritic score is 89 points (based on 73 review).

Has anyone ever figured out how MC calculates that "average" score? How many 9+ reviews are needed to get 90 points?

I'd reckon it was never THAT good to begin with, also

This was the point I was trying to make. But I digress.

These reviews have convinced me to pick up a PS4, specially since Jim fucking Sterling son of all people is praising it so highly. Between this and Andromeda, March is gonna feel like Fall.

Go pro dude, worth it.

reKon

Banned
There was an entire thread full of gaffers bawling and shaking like they just had the biggest nut in their life.

I've never been a huge Zelda person, but that trailer was definitely one of the best gaming trailers I've ever seen.

Are they different from the normal machines?

There are a couple that are only encountered as boss fights, and others that can technically be encountered out in the world but your first encounter will most likely be in a story mission with the environment such that a physical "stage" is set up just for that boss fight.

timmyp53

Current Metacritic score is 89 points (based on 73 review).

Has anyone ever figured out how MC calculates that "average" score? How many 9+ reviews are needed to get 90 points?
It's not an aggregate site. Certain sites are weighted heavier than others.

Way too much emphasis go's into reviews these days, I used to buy magazines back in the day and live by them, That was the ps1 era.

Today's jorno's are all over the place, More focused on they're own brand so to speak, Promoting there social media, Going against the grain to be edgy.

Posters in this thread chose to focus on 1 or 2 negative reviews instead of the abundance of positive ones, It's the society of today to just feel the need to be toxic.

The game looks fantastic and the reviews seem to agree upon that.

Dragons Dogma sits at 75 on metacritic, Had god awful frame rate, Black borders.... Yet it was my favourite game last gen.

It's all subjective.

Phediuk

The amount of people here who treat the latest entry in (insert Nintendo brand here) as a religious experience is kinda disturbing.

As someone who has always supported Guerilla since Kz2 up until Killzone Shadow fall mp when it felt like everyone else hated them, I have to say I'm extremely happy seeing them get the recognition that I feel they deserve. Great Job to the team over there at Amsterdam. I can't wait to get the CE in my hands.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's not an aggregate site. Certain sites are weighted heavier than others.

I know it's an aggregate site. That's why I put the word average between quotes and used the word "calculate". If the MC score was really an average number, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

jiiikoo

Banned
No fair, you skipped ahead to the Tripple Dog Dare.

Being God has it's perks. :p But seriously, I bought a 4K tv for this game. Glad it's reviewing so well.

but what is a god to a nonbeliever?

That depends on if God depends on people believing in him/her/it. If he/she/it does, then probably the powers he/she/it possess diminish or something and if he/she/it doesn't count on people believing, I guess he/she/it isn't fazed by such non-believers.

Cornbread78

OMG at this Zelda stuff in a Horizon review thread... seriously? Just no.... no....

xi31VW8.gif

I really want to play through the game and the reviews have me hyped as well, but SO MANY GAMES with Neir coming out a week later and Persona 5 a few weeks after that.... too many damn games.... TOO MANY!

are you people ACTUALLY comparing a new IP that scored 88 to an Iconic Masterpiece like Zelda ?? are you joking ?

Zelda is the ONLY game that can make me buy a whole system for it alone( not gonna buy switch since it's one the wii u too

i bought 3ds for Ocraina of time 3d and Link between worlds, even though i enjoyed other games but the zelda games were my reason to buy the system

bought the worst console ever made in history, Wii u, just for Zelda Wind waker HD, enjoyed only 3 games on that shitty system, WWhd, TPhd and MH3U, and the zelda games alone are worth the purchase

the only iconic masterpiece series that is still alive in this gen that i can actually compare it to Zelda is MGS( i know it may be dead now but the last game still amazing so i'm assuming it's still alive until we see MGS 6)

this post

d50626fc07.gif

that's awesome

do the bosses reappear as normal enemies later on in the world like in The Witcher 3 ?

Yeah, several of them are faced first as story boss fights, and can be encountered / hunted out in the open world later. A couple are only found in story fights.

kruis

MC score is again 88 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom