• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

are you people ACTUALLY comparing a new IP that scored 88 to an Iconic Masterpiece like Zelda ?? are you joking ?

Zelda is the ONLY game that can make me buy a whole system for it alone( not gonna buy switch since it's one the wii u too

i bought 3ds for Ocraina of time 3d and Link between worlds, even though i enjoyed other games but the zelda games were my reason to buy the system

bought the worst console ever made in history, Wii u, just for Zelda Wind waker HD, enjoyed only 3 games on that shitty system, WWhd, TPhd and MH3U, and the zelda games alone are worth the purchase

the only iconic masterpiece series that is still alive in this gen that i can actually compare it to Zelda is MGS( i know it may be dead now but the last game still amazing so i'm assuming it's still alive until we see MGS 6)
..... dude there are a lot of bad zelda games....its hardly untouchable. Wind Waker was the last "ground breaking" game in the series and there have been a hell of a lot of Zelda games since.

Alright guys let's put our heads together. Let's dig up all the dirt we can to try to invalidate that USGamer review because it doesn't mesh with our preconceived notions of how good Horizon is and obviously her opinion is wrong.
i read that review and she touches on all the same points but her opinion and overview is just so polar opposite of all the rest of the reviews. it's weird.

Because it's neat seeing something get a 90+ score nowadays, it's not easily handed out. And if you're already into a game, having a high a score as possible is neat.
Also for some, it makes it harder for Zelda to potentially beat it.

I get it if it's just some fun cheering. I'm not the no fun allowed guy.

I just don't get why some people are getting so worked up about it. I'm just referring to the people who legitimately seem enraged about it.

reKon

Banned
for these 4/5 reviews, I've noticed that a lot of them state that the game is excellent, a ton of fun to play, visually stunning, but don't really do anything innovative or new. It's interesting because it kind of makes me wonder what it would have had to do to earn that 5/5 score. Maybe have a better story/characters? Otherwise, I'm not sure what else GG was supposed to do here to substantially improve this. This game has fucking random unscripted battles that take place in the middle of your playthrough. I don't think I know of a lot of open world action RPGs that have stuff like this.

Would you want to fly with a pilot that's flying the passenger plane for the second time in his career or the 290th time?

You don't need specific qualification to review a game. The comparaison doesn't work here.

No not realy but she is way way off from the majority....so makes me wonder.

I mean unless you're arguing that a piece of entertainment can be universally liked that's not strange.

Haha, just messing with you (or someone else reading my post). It would be fun if somebody came back a few days from now and confirming it's still going after whatever silly amount of hours.
oh lol yeah I really thought that after maybe 20 hovers it would stop and when I saw his crash avatar disappear i'm like, really? they're gonna make it go forever or something?

cool avatar btw!

Not

Banned
I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad game, just a very shitty Zelda with certain design choices that I couldn't stand. I'm scared BOTW will end up similar with the unbelievably stupid and frustrating looking weapon durability system. The Washing Pole in Dark Souls looks like it lasts longer than the shit in BOTW. :(

I doubt the
Master Sword of Resurrection
breaks. Expecting it to work like the Hylian Shield in SS.

And gee oh boy Horizon gee willikers

xviper

i guess it's not gonna reach 90+

still pretty amazing for a new IP from a studio that released bad games for nearly a decade

hope they leak the game a week earlier like RE7

i've been wanting a good dinosaurs game for a very long time now, cannot wait to pick this up

Maaan I started this year with gravity rush 2(80) and yakuza 0(84) than Kingdom hearts 2.8(77) and tales if vesperia(79) than nioh(88) now horizon on the way next week(88) bruh we only in February and I'm having a jolly time with my PlayStation

#JollyVibes

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Caty at US Gamer that reviewed the game a 2.5/5 started reviewing games last week.

Just a note: The purpose of a review thread is not to dig up dirt to attack reviews you disagree with. In the past we've banned dozens of people, sometimes as many as 100, for people having meltdowns about disappointing reviews, especially in threads for exclusive games. TLOU, Uncharted 4, and Uncharted 3 have been some of the worst. We're honestly fed up with doing this.

Everyone is free to agree or disagree and debate claims made in reviews, but the second it becomes sour grapes yelling about bias, bizarre side-swipes, and digging up peoples' information, that's when it crosses the line.

Purest 78

Does that make her opinion less valuable?

I look at this way I look at the consensus when I see a game in this case Near a 90 meta. I question what did that person see or experience so different from the majority? Nothing wrong with Questioning that either.

I haven't played it yet so I can't criticize her, after I play it I can give fair assessment of her review.

wenaldy

still pretty amazing for a new IP from a studio that released bad games for nearly a decade

i've been wanting a good dinosaurs game for a very long time now, cannot wait to pick this up

Just stop.

LotusHD

Banned
From the reviews that I've read and watched the consensus is that side-quests are becoming boring and fetchy pretty quickly.

Yea, it seems overall mixed in regards to the sidequests, but even then, I don't believe I've read anything detailing that there are some truly amazing ones on par with what Witcher 3 has going on. But overall they aren't shit at least.

But on the flip side, the majority love the main story, which I honestly didn't expect, so I guess I can not make too big of a fuss over it.

I just don't get why some people are getting so worked up about it. I'm just referring to the people who legitimately seem enraged about it.

No point in stressing over it tbh, this is how people are.

Wuiji

Has anybody given it 40% because it's not like Dirt Rally yet?

tumblr_nlbwqiY6Pi1u5eu8ao1_250.gif

I'm glad to hear it's reviewing so well, this is one of the games that I really want to play when I eventually pick up a PS4. I was concerned because I've never enjoyed the gameplay on any of the Killzone titles, so it's good to hear that this seems to play really well.

WTF dude, your posts in this thread are terrible.

..... dude there are a lot of bad zelda games....its hardly untouchable. Wind Waker was the last "ground breaking" game in the series and there have been a hell of a lot of Zelda games since.

There was nothing ground breaking about Windwaker besides its big art style shift

So many reviews from major sites in 90s and some even 10s and this game still couldn't crack 90 in MC and OC...what does a game these days needs to get to a 90+ aggregate??? I would have thought this game with its scores would have cracked the 90 score... I'm baffled.

Caty at US Gamer that reviewed the game a 2.5/5 started reviewing games last week.

I went and read the review, and if that was her first big review then she has a good reviewing future ahead of her. I thought it was fairly well-written, and explained exactly why she thought it fell short. It does contain some light story spoilers though.

Her general complaints seem to fall into four categories:
- The main missions are full of claustrophobic corridors and repetitive arena battles, which negates the positives of free traversal in the world.
- The side content is full of generic RPG missions like fetch quests and "kill x creatures" that are uninteresting and repetitive.
- She feels Aloy's character never really develops, and constantly falls back to a generic "sarcastic hero".
- She says the narrative's momentum fizzles out about halfway through, leaving you to push on for several hours more, a la Wind Waker, until you finally reach the end.

sinonobu

Banned

What do you mean by bad zelda games?

Outside CD-I I don't think there's any bad Zelda games.

Especially in mainline console Zelda games.

Seems like this game would have been a 10/10 for a lot of sites like 5-10 years ago with older reviewing methods and scores. I'm stoked!

timberger

Some pretty fantastic reviews. Oh well, guess the "Guerilla have never made a great game" brigade are out a catchphrase now.

Think I'll pick it up release day now I've finished Yakuza 0 and I think I'm getting there with Nioh soon as well. Such good times.

......... do people do this? I'm not buying this anytime soon, but that is a weird metric

I have such a huge backlog, I only put it on hold for verified 90+ and I have a feeling a game coming out a few days later might just hit that metric....

Still a must buy down the road just not immediate anymore.

LotusHD

Banned
Where's that Washington Post review tho lol

Maaan I started this year with gravity rush 2(80) and yakuza 0(84) than Kingdom hearts 2.8(77) and tales if vesperia(79) than nioh(88) now horizon on the way next week(88) bruh we only in February and I'm having a jolly time with my PlayStation

#JollyVibes

I'mma be petty and remind you it's 81 sir. Metacritic is a big deal sir, never forget. ;D

SarusGray

I went and read the review, and if that was her first big review then she has a good reviewing future ahead of her. I thought it was fairly well-written, and explained exactly why she thought it fell short. It does contain some light story spoilers though.

- The main missions are full of claustrophobic corridors and repetitive arena battles, which negates the positives of free traversal in the world.
- The side content is full of generic RPG missions like fetch quests and "kill x creatures" that are uninteresting and repetitive.
- She feels Aloy's character never really develops, and constantly falls back to a generic "sarcastic hero".
- She says the narrative's momentum fizzles out about halfway through, leaving you to push on for several hours more, a la Wind Waker, until you finally reach the end.

lowkey that doesn't sound like a five out of ten but she's definitely free to voice her opinion and her score. I thought there was something AWFUL about it.

So many reviews from major sites in 90s and some even 10s and this game still couldn't crack 90 in MC and OC...what does a game these days needs to get to a 90+ aggregate??? I would have thought this game with its scores would have cracked the 90 score... I'm baffled.

90+ this gen is very very difficult to get. As it should be. The fact this has gotten as close as it has is really damn impressive, especially as this was Guerrilla's first ever attempt at an RPG

schaft0620

Does that make her opinion less valuable?

Doesn't make her opinions any less valid.

Yes

I disagree with the 5 star rating but when other sites do that you generally get a better idea of their objective reviews by knowing how they feel about other games.

Easy Allies does this but I understand where they are coming from because each member has different tastes and I know how they feel about 100 other games. This is just one example.

Immediately after seeing her review other posters in this thread we're comparing other reviews US Gamer had. However she did not write those reviews because this is her first review ever.

Also, not sure if she knew about the MetaCritic backlash possibility by her reaction on Twitter. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I understand that reviews are people's personal views. I firmly believe that life needs outliers. However, the MetaCritic score that a 2.5/5 gives is generally reserved for games that have serious issues that nobody else saw.

100%

bombshell

At this point people have repeated that KZ2 is a bad game so many times that it has defied reality and become true.

I was going to buy this game but since it won't be 90+ on metacritic, I'll just wait until it's $20.

So what makes a 88 not worth it but a 90? What ridiculous reasoning.

Most reviews say the opposite though ,especially the side quests, as horizon does not have fetch side quests, but I digress.

I like how you put that last sentence in there to make it seem like you didn't just make a troll post

Slaythe

Sounds like the worst game ever put it like that. Wonder why it's getting good reviews at all right ?

wenaldy

That 50/100 review score ruined the aggregate i think.

le.phat

are you people ACTUALLY comparing a new IP that scored 88 to an Iconic Masterpiece like Zelda ?? are you joking ?

Zelda is the ONLY game that can make me buy a whole system for it alone( not gonna buy switch since it's one the wii u too

i bought 3ds for Ocraina of time 3d and Link between worlds, even though i enjoyed other games but the zelda games were my reason to buy the system

bought the worst console ever made in history, Wii u, just for Zelda Wind waker HD, enjoyed only 3 games on that shitty system, WWhd, TPhd and MH3U, and the zelda games alone are worth the purchase

the only iconic masterpiece series that is still alive in this gen that i can actually compare it to Zelda is MGS( i know it may be dead now but the last game still amazing so i'm assuming it's still alive until we see MGS 6)

I'm glad for you that you have an opinion you feel strong about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom