• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh?

The game reviewed well ,many people have play it and said it was amazing, when can we get super hype?

I'm talking about the people that get all bent out of shape over a couple of "bad" reviews. Personally, I never get hype about any game anymore. I've honestly found I just genuinely enjoy games more the less I know going in.

Neonep

What kind of pedigree do you need to have an opinion about a video game?
You actually have experience doing what you are doing. I read a few reviews and always note who wrote it and I make it a point to see what other games that person is into just to give the better context. When you review a few different games (by that I mean different genres) and give the same complaint for all the games I gotta question some things.

erawsd

Way too much emphasis go's into reviews these days, I used to buy magazines back in the day and live by them, That was the ps1 era.

Today's jorno's are all over the place, More focused on they're own brand so to speak, Promoting there social media, Going against the grain to be edgy.

Posters in this thread chose to focus on 1 or 2 negative reviews instead of the abundance of positive ones, It's the society of today to just feel the need to be toxic.

The game looks fantastic and the reviews seem to agree upon that.

Dragons Dogma sits at 75 on metacritic, Had god awful frame rate, Black borders.... Yet it was my favourite game last gen.

It's all subjective.

Nothing you see is new or unique to today. In fact, people actually might be a little bit better about it these days. This game has an 88 metacritic, 12 years ago Jeff Gerstmann became the most hated man on the internet because he merely gave Zelda:TP a "great" score of 8.8.

rec0ded1

I'm going in blind af, haven't watched any footage really since a little bit after it was announced. This is going to be glorious.

Loudninja

This is one of the first open world games I've played in years that actually caught me in the trap of pursuing sidequests, hunting for collectibles, and scouring ruins for loot because it's a world I simply love being in. Not only is it gorgeous to look at, it's packed full of interesting locations and the machine threat is as fascinating as it is intimidating.
Optional missions are as detailed and lengthy as any you'd find in a more traditional roleplaying game, while those aforementioned ”radio tower" stand-ins are actually fun – huge, giraffe-like constructs that patrol areas surrounded by enemies or unique environmental challenges that must be navigated before the creatures themselves can be climbed and hacked for map information.
A world that's basically Disney's Brave meets The Last of Us, Enslaved: Journey to the West, Far Cry, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Monster Hunter, Toukiden, and loads of other really, really cool shit.

That's basically Horizon in a nutshell – loads of really, really cool shit.
http://www.thejimquisition.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review/

bombshell

oh lol yeah I really thought that after maybe 20 hovers it would stop and when I saw his crash avatar disappear i'm like, really? they're gonna make it go forever or something?

cool avatar btw!

Forgot to thank you for your compliment.

I cropped it from the original picture here. Not sure if it's official art or fan made.

horizon__zero_dawn_by_theclassica-dahyfc4.jpg

Not

Banned
Lets try this one guys, If you were asked to produced an award winning short film to enter the film festival, would you hire the short film director with at least 3 dozen reputable films under his/her belt or the one who just made one last week?

No plane crashes here, no one is dying, no danger or risk to human life.

Oooh, ridiculous analogies are totally my bag.

What if she was the Nicola Tesla of reviewers, but it was only her first week so everybody's like "pfffffffffffff alternating current lol. What, did you just start inventing things a week ago"

GodofWine

So the score are absolutely STELLAR...but we are hung up on one..par is par.

Seriously the reviews from all major places are outstanding

Elfstruck

I'm talking about the people that get all bent out of shape over a couple of "bad" reviews. Personally, I never get hype about any game anymore. I've honestly found I just genuinely enjoy games more the less I know going in.

People have the right to question reviews, especially when it's completely different from the other reviews.

george_us

I've ragged on this game a lot but, once again, the hype is starting to get to me. I have $70 in Amazon credit that I'm pretty close to blowing on this game.

Lets try this one guys, If you were asked to produced an award winning short film to enter the film festival, would you hire the short film director with at least 3 dozen reputable films under his/her belt or the one who just made one last week?

Still a bad analogy, there's a certain skills and knowledge to have to direct a movie. No such things needed to review a game.

the thing that bums me out though is that now GG's dev cycle will be quite long seeing as they found their calling and are now going to be known as a action RPG studio like CDProjekt Red

LotusHD

Banned

You really need to work on your analogues lol

PrimeBeef

It's extremely rare for a AAA game to get over 90 this gen.

That's why I'm interested in the scores.

Still doesn't matter. Go look at the scores of all time. Do you think that some of the recent gen games deserve better scores than some on that list? It's all subjective. If I reviewed games, and I reviewed a AAA game that was graphically awesome, played smooth as ice, but had a shit story in a narrative driven game, I'd rate it pretty low. I am not claiming HZD has a bad story, just referencing the one really bad USGamer score.

I think most people will look at the outliers for what they are. I love reading bad customer product reviews when buying bigger ticket items or hiring a contractor to see what people have to say about it/them. It's easy to weed out the trolls and everything. With the USGamer review, she picked up on the same negatives other had but they seemed to have more of a negative impact on her play through. I would be a bit cautious of the perfect scores that may have some of the same issues but overlooked them.

One of my big issues with game reviews is how certain issues with some games are overlooked and ignored, but seem to reduce the score of other games. Coupled with some franchise/series games get crucified for not moving the genre along, while others get a pass on them. Reviews are highly subjected and biased. SO I stopped looking at them many moons ago and just buy what looks interesting or appealing to me.

Orayn

Stop defending corporations, brands, and the honor/reputation of games you haven't even played. It's beyond pathetic and makes me ashamed of this horrible shitty hobby known as video games.

People have the right to question reviews, especially when it's completely different from the other reviews.

It's an opinion. Different people can have different takes on same thing.

myco666

The one whos work I like better obviously.

We are talking about opinions here. As long as the person doing them is a good writer I couldn't care less how long the person has done reviews before. It is just an opinion.

About that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fede_Álvarez (Evil Dead)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane)

And so on

Razgreez

articulated post

It's all well and good that you have said perspective on her review. I myself do not place any importance on review scores and rather enjoy reading well articulated reviews. I would thus not have even batted an eye had the game been given a, or multiple, 2(s) however, she advertised her review by labeling it as "here's my review of the c-tier sci-fi that is horizon zero dawn" which seems rather condescending and does not come across as professional at all. C-tier is after all low budget, poorly written, poorly directed, poorly produced etc. I.e trash

But perhaps that's just my opinion

de_reddy

Neo Member
I was a bit scared after the first review, but seeing this landslide I'm definitely going to buy it to experience it myself.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Seriously. It's getting pretty pathetic that people are jumping at every little thing.

"Oh but this review said this"

Or

"Oh but the reviewer has done this"

The game is sitting at an 89 on MC for crying out loud. It's literally one of the best revived new IPs critically in some time.

If this was a situation like the New Vegas one it would make more sense...but it doesn't look like it.

Some just seem outraged that their favorite game isn't getting only 10's.

Another day another reason I regret being an Xbox user ��

You can always be a multi-console user! (or at least borrow a ps4 from a friend)

xviper

i would like to know more about the leveling up and upgrading weapons system

the collectibles, the enemy variety, and the environments, but i don't want to spoil that for me, i wanna be surprised

i see lots of you waiting and hoping for it to reach 90+, you people are greedy, lol, 89 is amazing for a new IP in this gen, this is probably the highest rated single player triple A new IP of this gen so far( Bloodborne is NOT a new IP)

SarusGray

the collectibles, the enemy variety, and the environments, but i don't want to spoil that for me, i wanna be surprised

i see lots of you waiting and hoping for it to reach 90+, you people are greedy, lol, 89 is amazing for a new IP in this gen, this is probably the highest rated single player triple A new IP of this gen so far( Bloodborne is NOT a new IP)

you are making this wayyy too obvious.

Except when it is but whatever

By definition, it certainly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom