• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenaldy

qFRTrhP.gif

Horizon is van Cleef. Im okay with that 😎

Edit: forgot that Horizon went back to 88.

Thorrgal

This is true, but I tend to agree with that point of view. As a reviewer you should be able to put aside much of your personal tastes and be a bit more objective.

For instance, if you were to ask me if I enjoyed FFVII, my answer would be a resounding no.

However as I professional reviewer I would be able to articulate that it is a very well crafted game, it just wasn't to my tastes, and still rate it a score that a well crafted game should receive instead of saying.

"1/10, not for me, don't touch this game, click my review".

You can say The Last of Us is a shit game all you like, and say "it's my opinion" as your defense, but your opinion is wrong. It isn't a shit game, its a very well crafted game that is not to your taste.

Life of a Tiger is a shit game.

People should be able to separate "game is shit" from "game isn't for me". Especially professional reviewers.

This is exactly right. And the reviewer fails to understand it completely because her defense on twitter is " is just my opinion".

But is not an opinion, is a review. And a reviewer should understand that she can dislike good games that dont deserve a poor review the same way that she can like a game that doesn't deserve a great score.

We all like games that are objectively not very good, and dislike games that we know are good. A professional reviewer should be able to see that and don't give her own opinion the same value of a review to the extend tha they are one and the same.But then again when I was her age I thought I was always right so it will come with time

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Would have been nice if this was multiplatform that way everyone could play. I can imagine how many copies GG would sell if that was the case. Exclusives are good and bad haha

The only reason Sony funded this game was to have a good exclusive on their platform. So I'd say, in this instance, exclusives are good unless Guerilla could have found another publisher to foot the bill and take the risk.

Zukkoyaki

The only reason Sony funded this game was to have a good exclusive on their platform. So I'd say in this instance, exclusives are good unless Guerilla could have found another publisher to foot the bill and take the risk.
Guerrilla is owned by Sony you guys

bombshell

The only reason Sony funded this game was to have a good exclusive on their platform. So I'd say, in this instance, exclusives are good unless Guerilla could have found another publisher to foot the bill and take the risk.

To your second sentence: Guerrilla is owned by Sony.

Just expressing my opinion, been using Xbox for games for a decade now. This generation though I really wish I was on PS4 as this is like PS4's 5th exclusive game that's reviewing tremendously?

And where are Earth did I ever say it was my biggest regrets lmao? You are putting words in my mouth completely.

I understand, I take it you're in your early twenties, (being in college and all) but yeah, my point still stands, don't be a cry baby, enjoy what you have and be content with your choices...and if you're not enjoying it, go out and get what you like. If Money is an issue, prioritize your life, take care of the essentials (school time and expenses) and when you have enough money, buy the luxuries. ie: a PS4 etc. Nobody likes a whiner.
/dad

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it's safe to say that God of War 4 looks better. That said, this looks to have Uncharted 4 beat which is an amazing accomplishment.

However, is it really that surprising considering Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were the best looking games on the PS3?

41YGP3cPG5L.jpg

Sucker Punch has been improving with every game. Infamous 2 was a huge improvement over the first somewhat ugly looking Infamous game. And Second Son was easily the best looking next gen game when it came out. I have no doubt that they will improve their engine even more with their next IP.

And of course let's not forget the best looking racer of all time.

Sony has cultivated some of the best talent in the industry, and i hope they stop closing down studios and invest some more because I really dont want to play trashy looking games like Dishonored, Fallout, and downgraded shit like Witcher 3 and Watchdogs.

Majmun

Sony has cultivated some of the best talent in the industry, and i hope they stop closing down studios and invest some more because I really dont want to play trashy looking games like Dishonored, Fallout, and downgraded shit like Witcher 3 and Watchdogs.

Those are still great looking games LMAO

myco666

People are getting angry because I questioned the experience of the US Gamer reviewer.

Apparently no qualifications are necessary to review a game, it's just an opinion that matters.

Anyway, that was probably the last "wave" of US Gamer discussion, Zelda has fizzled out as well, apologies for dumping a little fuel to the unwanted flame...I've moved on.

What qualifications are necessary to review a game then? What makes, lets say Jim Sterling more qualified to review games than the US Gamer reviewer?

SURGEdude

Really glad to see it's looking good. I had a lot of hope, and I've been a fan of them in the past. I guess it's safe to say the reason the last Killzone was shit had less to do with Guerrilla losing their touch and more to do with rushing out a launch title.

They remain a top tier dev it seems.

Forgot to thank you for your compliment.

I cropped it from the original picture here. Not sure if it's official art or fan made.
whoa that is dope man, I think it could be photoshop though.

it's a shame we still can't have custom backgrounds on our Ps4s. I don't think I'm getting the game at launch but this would be a pretty picture to have in the back

MrS

Banned
Theres never been a better time to own a PlayStation console. unbelievable
2001 says hi

This is indeed a great time to be a PS4 owner
Would have been nice if this was multiplatform that way everyone could play. I can imagine how many copies GG would sell if that was the case. Exclusives are good and bad haha
Buy a PS4. Plenty of games out there to make to make it worth the investment. Why should the industry bend to your will? While there are consoles there will always be console exclusives.

bombshell

whoa that is dope man, I think it could be photoshop though.

it's a shame we still can't have custom backgrounds on our Ps4s. I don't think I'm getting the game at launch but this would be a pretty picture to have in the back

We can in the next firmware update that's in beta currently.

This game isnt 2.5/5.

How anyone can play this title and walk away thinking,- for all the work they put into it, the game theyve just played, the visuals and the fun combat - its 2.5/5 it boggles my mind. They must hate life and fun.

Horizon is a lotta fun.

sappyday

Hmm might consider getting the game, but still I have worries on how shallow the open world is and the story. I'm scared of it being another FFXV scenario

Raylan

Banned
You guys do know that Guerrilla Games IS Sony, right? It's a Sony studio.

Great scores. Day 1 for me i guess. I have been waiting for a new game to come out on PS4 so i can brush the dust of that thing. I love me some single player adventures and this seems to be worth while.

I think it's safe to say that God of War 4 looks better. That said, this looks to have Uncharted 4 beat which is an amazing accomplishment.

However, is it really that surprising considering Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were the best looking games on the PS3?

41YGP3cPG5L.jpg

Sucker Punch has been improving with every game. Infamous 2 was a huge improvement over the first somewhat ugly looking Infamous game. And Second Son was easily the best looking next gen game when it came out. I have no doubt that they will improve their engine even more with their next IP.

I haven't seen a lot of GOW4 footage but there has got to a better shot than that. Looks terrible there.

Hmm might consider getting the game, but still I have worries on how shallow the open world is and the story. I'm scared of it being another FFXV scenario

If you hate FFXV (like me) there's zero chance this game shares the same issues.

Great scores. Day 1 for me i guess. I have been waiting for a new game to come out on PS4 so i can brush the dust of that thing. I love me some single player adventures and this seems to be worth while.

Guess you missed The Last Guardian, Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, and Nioh, huh? Or you have something against japanese games? -_-

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those are still great looking games LMAO

Watch Dogs is great too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe i am being harsh on Witcher 3 and Watch Dogs 2 which still looks beautiful despite the downgrade but Watch Dogs 2 still doesn't come close to the original demo. And I played it on 4k on the Pro.

Fallout and pretty much all bethesda games look like shit though. Fallout does have some nice scenary here and there, but most of the game looks like dog shit.

Oh and I forgot to mention how GG were the first devs to truly signal the start of a new gen with this opening sequence. Still one of the most jaw dropping reveals of all time.

41YGP3cPG5L.jpg

Yeah Dishonored 2 and Witcher 3 are definitely games I would put in the GARBAGE category. For sure not two of the best games this gen.

Real Hero

This game isnt 2.5/5.

How anyone can play this title and walk away thinking,- for all the work they put into it, the game theyve just played, the visuals and the fun combat - its 2.5/5 it boggles my mind. They must hate life and fun.

Horizon is a lotta fun.
Hint: Combat being fun is subjective. Stop demanding conformity

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Aside from Loudninja posting new reviews and a few comments here and there? No.

Loud ninja is doing God's work and posting more reviews. A couple recent posts about Sony wws studios doing better and knocking it out of the park, Bloodborne isn't a new IP etc

Just read through like 8 pages and the answer is no

Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll just add some reviews to pocket and youtube to enjoy later.

People are getting angry because I questioned the experience of the US Gamer reviewer.

Apparently no qualifications are necessary to review a game, it's just an opinion that matters.

Anyway, that was probably the last "wave" of US Gamer discussion, Zelda has fizzled out as well, apologies for dumping a little fuel to the unwanted flame...I've moved on.

I don't know man, i don't think that a masterclass is needed to give your opinion about a game. The amount of stock that is given to one person opinion is determined by their audience.

If you don't think that she is qualified just disregard her review and move on.

I, for example, don't give a shit about art critics.

This game isnt 2.5/5.

Horizon is a lotta fun.

Since you're playing the game, which parts of her review do you disagree with? I've yet to play it, so I can only disagree with her verdict on the game's sound design and music, where she says she couldn't remember any of it. For instance, I haven't been able to get the game's main theme out of my head for a long time now.

What qualifications are necessary to review a game then? What makes, lets say Jim Sterling more qualified to review games than the US Gamer reviewer?

I don't know much about both actually since I don't follow YouTubers much or game reviewers for that matter.

But I do know it takes some time and experience and good knowledge about your topic to gain this many followers and views.

Jim Sterling

452,252 subscribers • 158,125,646 views
Joined 15 Aug 2006
https://www.youtube.com/user/JimSterling/about

Admittedly I don't know nothing about the US Gamer reviewer except that this is her second game review... For all I know she could have a YT channel and have more viewers and subscribers than Sterling. And if she does, I will take a loss on this one, if not, then let's not sit here and pretend Sterling got those Subscribers and that many views a week or two ago and he lacks understanding and knowledge of what makes a quality or lack there of video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom