• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

It is already there.

Already added

Already added.

I see.

New IP according to a certain ninja

I think inFAMOUS still has a lot of potential, but seeing how amazing Horizon turned out for Guerrila, I am now very excited to see Sucker Punch's new IP. I hope it is as ambitious as Horizon.

Also, I hope Days Gone is a sucess too. Excited to see more about that too.

The lack of continuity in this is annoying me to no end. Her trajectory is directly at the white line when viewed from the panned up shot, yet when she lands she's on (a.) a completely different surface, (b.) in between two white lines of completely different thicknesses from what was seen from above, and (c.) she lands with the force of having tripped and taking a small spill rather than near-terminal velocity for a human from that height which would have spilled her brain all over the transforming pavement.

This means that as she fell to commit suicide (or someone removed her trampoline and/or landing pillow) she phased through spacetime and landed in some other location, potentially at some other point in time (as lighting has changed), and all of her momentum was transfered to some other system! Potentially in her wormhole travels, her vertical momentum was transferred to the pavement (but for some inexplicable reason after a ninety degree transformation) and the pavement (and, logically, the entire planet) shifted a few feet to the left and/or right. This also caused the world to shift color balance (which is fine, added momentum to light will change its energy! So at least something makes sense!).

0/10.

I can't believe I read all of this...

The lack of continuity in this is annoying me to no end. Her trajectory is directly at the white line when viewed from the panned up shot, yet when she lands she's on (a.) a completely different surface, (b.) in between two white lines of completely different thicknesses from what was seen from above, and (c.) she lands with the force of having tripped and taking a small spill rather than near-terminal velocity for a human from that height which would have spilled her brain all over the transforming pavement.

This means that as she fell to commit suicide (or someone removed her trampoline and/or landing pillow) she phased through spacetime and landed in some other location, potentially at some other point in time (as lighting has changed), and all of her momentum was transfered to some other system! Potentially in her wormhole travels, her vertical momentum was transferred to the pavement (but for some inexplicable reason after a ninety degree transformation) and the pavement (and, logically, the entire planet) shifted a few feet to the left and/or right. This also caused the world to shift color balance (which is fine, added momentum to light will change its energy! So at least something makes sense!).

0/10.

did you miss her leg being open and then shut btw shots?

Neoweee

It is mid-February and we've already had two adventure/RPGs score this well, with at probably three more over the next month and a half that will probably do about this well (Zelda/Persona/Mass Effect). Absolutely nuts year so far.

Since you're playing the game, which parts of her review do you disagree with? I've yet to play it, so I can only disagree with her verdict on the game's sound design and music, where she says she couldn't remember any of it. For instance, I haven't been able to get the game's main theme out of my head for a long time now.

As another person who's played / reviewed, I find outlier reviews like US Gamer challenging, in a good way. Something that briefly tests my convictions and causes me to re-assess.

In this case, everything I found true about Horizon still holds true the more I think about it. Fantastic, challenging gameplay and a truly unique, well-told, robust science fiction story.

After the period where I've read an outlier review, used those thoughts to challenge my own perceptions, and still arrived at the same conclusion, I do find it hard to understand where the outlier comes from. If you agree that an exceptional story is one with profound themes, important lessons, well-explained and believable twists, and a satisfying conclusion, then I can't understand how anyone arrives at "boring" or "weak" narrative with this game.

I believe a review should be subjective analysis of objective facts. "X and Y are game features, and I believe they coalesce in a meaningful way." But when you've got Giant Bomb calling the writing "concise and efficient," and US Gamer calling it "massive expository dumps--yay", it's hard to see how those could be drawn from the same objective reality.

Which, they certainly can. But I think that's where all this review thread craziness comes from. It's definitely hard to follow that logic sometimes without really lengthy discussion from both reviewers.

Loudninja

LevelUp 8.6
Horizon: Zero Dawn represents the birth a new and promising IP, thanks to a clever concept, solid combat mechanics and an outstanding presentation. Having said that, it can be repetitive at times and the lack of spontaneity stops Horizon: Zero Dawn from being a true classic.
http://www.levelup.com/PlayStation-4/juegos/324614/Horizon-Zero-Dawn/review

Digital Spy 4/5
http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a821630/horizon-zero-dawn-review-playstation-4-ps4-release-date/

Worth Playing 8.5
http://worthplaying.com/article/2017/2/20/reviews/102513/

silva1991

PS store cards are finally dethroned

jzDI1qB.jpg

Mutant

If it's a (yet another) open world game at a time where that genre is saturated and still scores this high means it has to be pretty darn good.

And it has pro mode? *looks over to an amazon page* hmmmm...

As another person who's played / reviewed, I find outlier reviews like US Gamer challenging, in a good way. Something that briefly tests my convictions and causes me to re-assess.

In this case, everything I found true about Horizon still holds true the more I think about it. Fantastic, challenging gameplay and a truly unique, well-told, robust science fiction story.

After the period where I've read an outlier review, used those thoughts to challenge my own perceptions, and still arrived at the same conclusion, I do find it hard to understand where the outlier comes from. If you agree that an exceptional story is one with profound themes, important lessons, well-explained and believable twists, and a satisfying conclusion, then I can't understand how anyone arrives at "boring" or "weak" narrative with this game.

I believe a review should be subjective analysis of objective facts. "X and Y are game features, and I believe they coalesce in a meaningful way." But when you've got Giant Bomb calling the writing "concise and efficient," and US Gamer calling it "massive expository dumps--yay", it's hard to see how those could be drawn from the same objective reality.

Which, they certainly can. But I think that's where all this review thread craziness comes from. It's definitely hard to follow that logic sometimes without really lengthy discussion from both reviewers.

Thanks, it's always interesting to hear both perspectives and figure out how these conclusions were arrived at. I think it's great that you're open to being challenged, followed by assessment.

Ridesh

Banned
This game isnt 2.5/5.

How anyone can play this title and walk away thinking,- for all the work they put into it, the game theyve just played, the visuals and the fun combat - its 2.5/5 it boggles my mind. They must hate life and fun.

Horizon is a lotta fun.

This post reads like a parody of some of the posts of the Uncharted 3 Wall of Shame.

You haven't played the game.

ISee

So there's a PS4 Slim Horizon bundle but no Pro bundle. What's that about?

PS4Pro is constantly sold out, or at least close to being sold out here in Germany. I bought one 4 days ago and they had only 2 left in my local media markt (huge German electronic store), amazon.de is also out of stock again.
No idea why tbh. Maybe supply problems.

Sure, if you have the money. Not everyone can afford more than one system a generation.

I think everyone understands that, but consoles are a few hundred bucks, surely if someone wanted one they could save up or work a few extra shifts? I used to do paper routes as a kid and buy consoles, they are hardly expensive purchases.

reKon

Banned
I could see a $350 Holiday Pro bundle for this one. If RDR2 happened to magically release this year, that one would be the other major bundle.

iirc the Destiny bundle was $450 and at that point they sold the most Ps4s in that month since the launch of the Ps4
That was also only what a year into the gen as well. A $450 bundle will look less appealing to the general public so late. Yea it's the pro but from a marketing prospective I can see why they don't want it sitting on shelves. Plus as much as I'm hyped about horizon.. Destiny was on a major hype level

I attributed that to momentum transfer as she's flying through her worm hole between those shots.

This is pretty common with release days.
It's 8 days before release, and it's not that common, For honor never got past #3 on it's launch day. Horizon is going to sell very, very well.

Not waiting for good reviews, I simply don't trust game reviewers. Waiting on the game actually being good. We'll see soon.

So glad you came into a review thread to tell us this. Pretty sure the game is "Actually good", people have had it for awhile.

myco666

I don't know much about both actually since I don't follow YouTubers much or game reviewers for that matter.

But I do know it takes some time and experience and good knowledge about your topic to gain this many followers and views.

Jim Sterling

452,252 subscribers • 158,125,646 views
Joined 15 Aug 2006
https://www.youtube.com/user/JimSterling/about

Admittedly I don't know nothing about the US Gamer reviewer except that this is her second game review... For all I know she could have a YT channel and have more viewers and subscribers than Sterling. And if she does, I will take a loss on this one, if not, then let's not sit here and pretend Sterling got those Subscribers and that many views a week or two ago and he lacks understanding and knowledge of what makes a quality or lack there of video game.

Having a YT channel is a qualification? So if the person has played games for all of her/his life and always thinked about what made them good and what didn't doesn't, the person wouldn't be qualified because they don't have a YT channel?

Honestly I don't even think having experience with gaming is mandatory to be qualified to do reviews. Good reviewer can write her/his opinion well and in-depth so that it informs well anyone who reads it. Just because someone has been doing reviews for ages doesn't make their opinion somehow more valid or even more worth listening to. Obviously if they have done reviews long they are probably good at writing and getting their point across by now but not necessarily and new reviewer might be even better at the job.

reKon

Banned
Not waiting for good reviews, I simply don't trust game reviewers. Waiting on the game actually being good. We'll see soon.

typically when a lot of reviews from different publications are giving universal praise for a game, the game is probably good...

I know it's not like that for EVERY game, but reviewers get it right.

MKIL65

72 people, all with different views and opinions, has spent their precious time writing positive reviews.

And you come in here, to dismiss them all. Thanks, I'm sure they appreciate it.

Orayn

Playing the game still doesn't qualify you to say "NOBODY CAN GIVE THIS GAME LOWER THAN X/10"

It's a bullshit statement in any circumstance and it shows that you don't know what subjectivity is.

icespide

Banned
Playing the game still doesn't qualify you to say "NOBODY CAN GIVE THIS GAME LOWER THAN X/10”

It's a bullshit statement in any circumstance that shows you don't know what subjectivity is.

yep. I haven't seen one post arguing that a review is wrong that hasn't made me cringe

Loudninja

Playing the game still doesn't qualify you to say "NOBODY CAN GIVE THIS GAME LOWER THAN X/10”

It's a bullshit statement in any circumstance that shows you don't know what subjectivity is.
Its his opinion we deal with it like every one else good or bad.

LNBL

Question in regards to reviews! Angry joe tweeted that he did not receive a review copy which seems strange to me (just me?). What makes someone eligble to receive such review copies? Maybe only big reviewing companies get them? But then people like AJ do receive other review copies.

Just interested in the decision making surrounding review copies. :)

Not

Banned
all this talk about Zelda

you know what.....I want to watch salt and worlds to burn

even if its BY ONE POINT

I hope Zelda reviews lower by one point overall just to watch the salt baby!!!!

Both games are appearing to be GOTY contenders so win win for me. I just am really interested in seeing GAF explode if Zelda reviews lower

Since I could give a shit about Zelda's sure-to-be ridiculous review average and just want to get into that game world, me too.

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn BotW 87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom