• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotha_Sil

The only game I regret missing out on by switching to PC. Glad to see it getting excellent reviews.

Can't read the reviews at work, whats the word on quest design?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What's the name of the game engine they developed for this game? I can see this becoming a big thing for future PS4 titles.

What's the name of the game engine they developed for this game? I can see this becoming a big thing for future PS4 titles.

Decima Engine.

decima-engine-motore-grafico-horizon-death-stranding-v4-31736.jpg

Vena

Little Mons†er;230676302 said:
this post

d50626fc07.gif

The lack of continuity in this is annoying me to no end. Her trajectory is directly at the white line when viewed from the panned up shot, yet when she lands she's on (a.) a completely different surface, (b.) in between two white lines of completely different thicknesses from what was seen from above, and (c.) she lands with the force of having tripped and taking a small spill rather than near-terminal velocity for a human from that height which would have spilled her brain all over the transforming pavement.

This means that as she fell to commit suicide (or someone removed her trampoline and/or landing pillow) she phased through spacetime and landed in some other location, potentially at some other point in time (as lighting has changed), and all of her momentum was transfered to some other system! Potentially in her wormhole travels, her vertical momentum was transferred to the pavement (but for some inexplicable reason after a ninety degree transformation) and the pavement (and, logically, the entire planet) shifted a few feet to the left and/or right. This also caused the world to shift color balance (which is fine, added momentum to light will change its energy! So at least something makes sense!).

0/10.

The lack of continuity in this is annoying me to no end. Her trajectory is directly at the white line when viewed from the panned up shot, yet when she lands she's on (a.) a completely different surface, (b.) in between two white lines of completely different thicknesses from what was seen from above, and (c.) she lands with the force of having tripped and taking a small spill rather than near-terminal velocity for a human from that height which would have spilled her brain all over the transforming pavement.

This means that as she fell to commit suicide (or someone removed her trampoline and/or landing pillow) she phased through spacetime and landed in some other location, potentially at some other point in time, and all of her momentum was transfered to some other system! Potentially in her wormhole travels, her vertical momentum was transferred to the pavement (but for some inexplicable reason after a ninety degree transformation) and the pavement (and, logically, the entire planet) shifted a few feet to the left and/or right. This also caused the world to shift color balance (which is fine, added momentum to light will change its energy! So at least something makes sense!).

0/10.

Vena pls.

gow3isben

Bloodborne 92, Overwatch 90, Horizon Zero Dawn 88.
Three strongest IP debuts this generation.

Honorable mention: Nioh 87.

I am not comfortable labeling Bloodborne as a new IP. It is really more of a spin-off. Faster combat, streamlined RPG elements, and different setting but essentially the same thing.

Sydle

Great to see the good reviews. I'm not a fan of open-world games, but I think I'll have to give this one a shot eventually.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I am not comfortable labeling Bloodborne as a new IP. It is really more of a spin-off. Faster combat, streamlined RPG elements, and different setting but essentially the same thing.

You don't get to decide if Bloodborne is a new IP or not though. Sorry.

bombshell

This means that as she fell to commit suicide (or someone removed her trampoline and/or landing pillow) she phased through spacetime and landed in some other location, potentially at some other point in time (as lighting has changed), and all of her momentum was transfered to some other system! Potentially in her wormhole travels, her vertical momentum was transferred to the pavement (but for some inexplicable reason after a ninety degree transformation) and the pavement (and, logically, the entire planet) shifted a few feet to the left and/or right. This also caused the world to shift color balance (which is fine, added momentum to light will change its energy! So at least something makes sense!).

0/10.

lol

MKIL65

And how long do you suppose it took them to implement all those things?

Lol.

On topic - I hope Sony pushes there studios to make more New IPs with the success of this.

Koh

Replace bloodborne with titanfall and Rpg with FPS. Sounds silly, doesn't it?

Most of Sony's studios use their own engines. But Decima may be the go-to engine for third party collaborations. It'd be interesting to see what'd happen if From were to use it on another project.

Cyborg

Never followed Metacritic in my life!! I just follow 3 or 4 trusted review sites, based on that I decide if its worth the purchase. Never have I been dissapointed. The crying about the scores 90,89,88 is just insane.

So many people wanting this game to fail while its clearly an amazing entry for a new IP.

Why cant we appreciate the effort the developer GG took with this? Why cant we enjoy the amazing result (and praise) this new IP has delivered?

I realy am dissapointed as a person and a gamer in some of the responses and I believe a lot of them post just to piss people off. While they should be giving praise to a developer who worked so hard and is getting finally praise for all that hard work. For finally not taking that safe route but just doing something new.

wenaldy

0/10.

Are you Dexter Morgan?

I think it's safe to say that God of War 4 looks better. That said, this looks to have Uncharted 4 beat which is an amazing accomplishment.

However, is it really that surprising considering Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were the best looking games on the PS3?

41YGP3cPG5L.jpg

Sucker Punch has been improving with every game. Infamous 2 was a huge improvement over the first somewhat ugly looking Infamous game. And Second Son was easily the best looking next gen game when it came out. I have no doubt that they will improve their engine even more with their next IP.

And of course let's not forget the best looking racer of all time.

Sony has cultivated some of the best talent in the industry, and i hope they stop closing down studios and invest some more because I really dont want to play trashy looking games like Dishonored, Fallout, and downgraded shit like Witcher 3 and Watchdogs.

Damn you are clueless. What a waste of a post. If anything should be "closed down" it should be bollocks opinions like this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Decima Engine.

decima-engine-motore-grafico-horizon-death-stranding-v4-31736.jpg

Decima, it was used for Until Dawn and Kojima is using it as well.

Decima same engine as KZSF(DUH) Until Dawn and Death Stranding.

Most of Sony's studios use their own engines. But Decima may be the go-to engine for third party collaborations. It'd be interesting to see what'd happen if From were to use it on another project.

Cheers.

I was thinking that Decima went to Kojima because its probably the best Sony had and that they wanted to "poach" kojima and support him. The videogame arm of Sony is very much aware of the public and goodwill it can engender since coming into its own on PS4.

who else is using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom