• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was also only what a year into the gen as well. A $450 bundle will look less appealing to the general public so late. Yea it's the pro but from a marketing prospective I can see why they don't want it sitting on shelves. Plus as much as I'm hyped about horizon.. Destiny was on a major hype level
that's a good point we're in the middle of the generation now so it wouldn't be as appealing to set prices more than $400
What opportunity exactly ? Everything we know suggest they can't supply Pro consoles to shops fast enough.
why not?

This post reads like a parody of some of the posts of the Uncharted 3 Wall of Shame.

You haven't played the game.

It's not a parody at all especially when he has the game. The reviewer is totally entitled to call it a 5/10 and another reviewer is allowed to say it's in no way a 5/10.

My own opinion just from the demo is that it's not a 5/10 because in my opinion a 5/10 is borderline broken. But my opinion is not very valid since I haven't played a majority of the game, just a snippet.

Slaythe

Chill man xbox will offer great games aswell. Save up and get a ps4 as well. You dont have to be stuck with one console. Think of all the PC users who never get to play alot of console games.

If you have a PC you basically have a better Xbox in terms of game library. This isn't a troll, this is a fact. Your point ?

If you have a PC you basically have a better Xbox in terms of game library. This isn't a troll, this is a fact. Your point ?
Idk really get the point of this one more so than you asking his honestly. He was basically telling dude games will come to your console and ppl that don't want console don't get to play console games didn't see anything in there to warrant such a response

timberger

Playing the game still doesn't qualify you to say "NOBODY CAN GIVE THIS GAME LOWER THAN X/10"

It's a bullshit statement in any circumstance and it shows that you don't know what subjectivity is.

You're right, it is a bullshit statement. Good thing nobody in this thread has made such a statement then, isn't it?

gow3isben

You don't get to decide if Bloodborne is a new IP or not though. Sorry.

Neither do you.

It's a new IP. Get over it and move on.

No its not. Nioh is. But not Bloodborne. You don't just give a mazda a fresh new paint job and call it a toyota. I swear, if Dark Souls didn't have the word souls in it people would be calling it a new IP as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm just glad the game turned out great, can't wait to pick it up. If I wasn't going to be on site for a job the week it launches I might have taken a day off. Oh well, I'll just binge at night and on the weekends. Who needs sleep?

Surprised and pleased to see reviews this good. I had been thinking of cancelling my preorder because there are so damn many ARPGs in 2017 but I'll be sticking with it.

Playing the game still doesn't qualify you to say "NOBODY CAN GIVE THIS GAME LOWER THAN X/10"

It's a bullshit statement in any circumstance and it shows that you don't know what subjectivity is.

He can say what ever he wants.
The same way how the reviewer said what ever she wants .

I was thinking that Decima went to Kojima because its probably the best Sony had and that they wanted to "poach" kojima and support him. The videogame arm of Sony is very much aware of the public and goodwill it can engender since coming into its own on PS4.

who else is using it?

Supermassive were the first to use it with Until Dawn

untildawnlojyw.png

untildawnrgo75.png

KojiPro would be next unless there's some other game that we're unaware of at the moment.

This is ridiculous. Bloodborne is a new ip in every sense of the word. Saying it isn;t just because it shares similar DNA to souls is stupid. In that case many games would not be new ip's ala Nioh. People trying to change the definition of new ip.

Plague Doctor

Gold Member
Now people don't think Bloodborne is a new IP? What in the world?

The same logic dictates that Starcraft was never a new IP and clearly just another Warcraft game. The mechanics were just too damn similar and by the same developer in the same genre. They just changed the setting.

But this is derailing.

EDIT: Starcraft and Bloodborne are clearly their own IPs. The argument is faulty as hell.

No its not. Nioh is. But not Bloodborne. You don't just give a mazda a fresh new paint job and call it a toyota. I swear, if Dark Souls didn't have the word souls in it people would be calling it a new IP as well.
besides your own word, what source do you have stating it isn't a new IP?

Slaythe

Idk really get the point of this one more so than you asking his honestly. He was basically telling dude games will come to your console and ppl that don't want console don't get to play console games didn't see anything in there to warrant such a response

What kind of hypocrisy is this post, sanji ?

He's using Pc as an example of not getting games, while we are in 2017. Pc gets more "games"' than the xbox does. There are mane games that come out on ps4 and PC, yet not on xbox. There are very little games that do not come out on PC if they are both on ps4 and xbox.

So his point about PC players being left out was null, compared to Xbox.

icespide

Banned
Neither do you.

I'll bite. Why is Nioh a new IP but not Bloodborne?

KrawlMan

PS4Pro is constantly sold out, or at least close to being sold out here in Germany. I bought one 4 days ago and they had only 2 left in my local media markt (huge German electronic store), amazon.de is also out of stock again.
No idea why tbh. Maybe supply problems.

My guess is that it's not that high of a demand compared to Slim, and they don't want to overshoot the supply. The system is "almost" sold out everywhere, but I can usually find 1-2 around. Seems like they have the supply just right.

Come on now BB is a new IP but it does have the hype of the soul games and devs going for it .
Which is a plus compare to other new IPs.

My guess is that it's not that high of a demand compared to Slim, and they don't want to overshoot the supply. The system is "almost" sold out everywhere, but I can usually find 1-2 around. Seems like they have the supply just right.

It sold out in certain part of the world so they still need to work on there supply chain .

Draft

Turns out supporting studios and letting them stretch their legs creatively is a better long term strategy than building mercenary developers to exploit ips. Bravo Sony.

MKIL65

Neither do you.

See, when developers spend years trying to make a game. Building ideas along the way, and dealing with new challenges...

What do you suppose they would think if you didn't consider their game a new IP?

I roll my eyes everytime when someone won't acknowledge that Bloodborne is it's OWN GAME

Neither do you.

Do you not know what an IP is?

Demon's Souls is an IP. Dark Souls is an IP. Bloodborne is an IP.

Seeing as Bloodborne didn't exist before... Bloodborne, it's said to be "a new IP".

melkier33

Not a single of the million people screaming at me that it is a new IP has given me a reason it is besides, "duh it is a new IP".

intellectual property
a work or invention that is the result of creativity, such as a manuscript or a design, to which one has rights and for which one may apply for a patent, copyright, trademark, etc.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not a single of the million people screaming at me that it is a new IP has given me a reason it is besides, "duh it is a new IP".

Because it is a new IP, duh.

Dark Souls is as much a new IP as Bloodborne, no matter how much you want to say it isn''t.

that's not true. i posted a source stating it was a new IP
While this new IP doesn’t stray far from the established Souls franchise, it is a magical, wondrous work that admirably instills both terror and triumph in those brave enough to delve into it.

even Phil Spencer calls it a new IP

I know some will question me but wanted to say it's cool to see Bloodborne sell 1M+. New IP is hard, congrats @PlayStation @fromsoftware_pr
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/588040165005910017

Rurunaki

Don't weasel your way out of this. Explain why Bloodborne is not a new IP. Even though it is set in a new world with new lore free from any other games that share the same genre and mechanics it has.

CrazyHal

Glad that the game didn't fall into the trap of being open world just for the sake of it and isn't filled with boring and repetitive missions *cough ubisolf game cough*.

gow3isben

I'll bite. Why is Nioh a new IP but not Bloodborne?

a) Different publisher (don't just jump at me by saying this is the only reason I consider it a new IP. This is merely one factor)
b) Manages to vary itself significantly from the Dark Souls series with noticeably different gameplay and storytelling

Among other reasons. Bloodborne has the same storytelling style, very similar moves and animations (some moves are the exact same in fact such as the "plunging hand into anus" or blindside attack, and a similar (albeit slightly faster) pace.

Don't weasel your way out of this. Explain why Bloodborne is not a new IP. Even though it is set in a new world with new lore free from any other games that share the same genre and mechanics it has.

You don't weasel your way out of this. Might as well say Dark Souls is a brand new IP from Demon Souls. Which I notice people have already done so.

See, when developers spend years trying to make a game. Building ideas along the way, and dealing with new challenges...

What do you suppose they would think if you didn't consider their game a new IP?

I roll my eyes everytime when someone won't acknowledge that Bloodborne is it's OWN GAME

They wouldn't care because it is the quality of the game and its reception that matters.

Bloodborne is its OWN GAME. God what logic is this.

a) Different publisher (don't just jump at me by saying this is the only reason I consider it a new IP. This is merely one factor)
b) Manages to vary itself significantly from the Dark Souls series with noticeably different gameplay and storytelling

Among other reasons. Bloodborne has the same storytelling style, very similar moves and animations (some moves are the exact same in fact such as the "plunging hand into anus" or blindside attack, and a similar (albeit slightly faster) pace.
the last of us has the same developer, same style of narrative/storytelling, partially the same genre (3rd person shooter), and same goddamn graphics engine as uncharted.

is the last of us an uncharted game?

and none of this matters anyway as myself and others provided sources explaining it is a new IP, and I asked you besides your own word which is all you have provided, what source do you have saying it's not a new IP?

Hey guys, let's talk about everything but Horizon reviews!

--

Looking forward to what Edge says. Also, having skimmed and read around several reviews, I'm still a bit in awe that I'm at a point with this game where I might actually enjoy the story and writing. Still such a pleasant surprise. It was something I had written off completely.

Brine

It's not a parody at all especially when he has the game. The reviewer is totally entitled to call it a 5/10 and another reviewer is allowed to say it's in no way a 5/10.

My own opinion just from the demo is that it's not a 5/10 because in my opinion a 5/10 is borderline broken. But my opinion is not very valid since I haven't played a majority of the game, just a snippet.

5/10 is an average score tho

Bloodborne is objectively a new IP, and it's not up for debate. It's not a sequel, prequel, part of an existing property, nothing. It's an IP that didn't exist prior to its release.

gamerMan

all this talk about Zelda

you know what.....I want to watch salt and worlds to burn

even if its BY ONE POINT

I hope Zelda reviews lower by one point overall just to watch the salt baby!!!!

Both games are appearing to be GOTY contenders so win win for me. I just am really interested in seeing GAF explode if Zelda reviews lower

I think Zelda will score lower than it would if Horizon Zero Dawn didn't come out. Since Nintendo is making Zelda open world, it is bound to be compared to Horizon since that is sort of the new benchmark for open world games both in performance, story, and gameplay.

Hopefully we get a lot of the same reviewers reviewing both games. With all the Zelda fatigue of the last couple of Zelda games, I think Zelda is going to have to be a much better game to score higher.

Cartho

Maybe they're saving a megaton Horizon special edition PS4 Pro bundle with a cool themed finish like the Uncharted 4 one. They'll save it for Black Friday or, I dunno, just before Scorpio comes out. Priced at such a level which will make it seem like extraordinarily good value for the visuals it puts out.

Think about it: this looks mind blowing. Like, legit mind blowing and particularly so on Pro. Scorpio would need to be ludicrously good to showcase something which looks massively better than this. So if we assume Crackdown 3 or something will look roughly as good as this does on Pro, then Sony can pull the "look at what our machine can do for £100-£150 less" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom