• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
a) Different publisher (don't just jump at me by saying this is the only reason I consider it a new IP. This is merely one factor)
b) Manages to vary itself significantly from the Dark Souls series with noticeably different gameplay and storytelling

Among other reasons. Bloodborne has the same storytelling style, very similar moves and animations (some moves are the exact same in fact such as the "plunging hand into anus" or blindside attack, and a similar (albeit slightly faster) pace.

You don't weasel your way out of this. Might as well say Dark Souls is a brand new IP from Demon Souls.

They wouldn't care because it is the quality of the game and its reception that matters.

Bloodborne is its OWN GAME. God what logic is this.

It's factually a new IP. Like, that's not something that is up for debate or discussion. What the fuck are you even going on about? The hills some people choose to die on around here, jfc.

KrawlMan

Damn.. Horizon covering all the game genres.. It has people talking about Zelda.. Witcher 3.. TLoU.. and now Bloodborne.. People feel this threatened by Horizon?

If I'm being honest, I'm looking forward to Zelda an unreasonable amount. Horizon is looking so promising I genuinely worry that it'll negatively affect my enjoyment of Zelda. I think another poster mentioned something similar after having played Horizon.

I should just be happy about a game this good coming out, but the Zelda fan in me is irrational. The two games are likely to deliver incredibly different experiences.

LuuKyK

God, I am so curious about the story/plot in this game.

Just watching some reviews and I cant get over the amount of praise Kinda Funny gives. They seem so blown away by how good the storytelling is and how Aloy is such a relatable character. Saying its a scifi story never before told is just so surprising to me considering its so easy to fall into stereotypes when dealing with these kinds of genres.

Ugh, hurry up next week.

jayu26

Can we stop with USgamer reviewer is not allowed to say her opinion please. She can give it 0/10 and it shouldn't matter because outlier is a fucking outlier. I know it probably fucked up the meta score, but it's still 88. People who who didn't believe still got served crow. Although, judging how much credence we should put on USgamer score based on her past work should be also valid. If Jeff Gerstmann is to review RDR2 it would certainly raise my eyebrows because of how much our opinions differ from each other regarding Red Dead Redemption. Based on USgamer reviewer's limited work, it seems that she prefers simple adventure and puzzle games and doesn't like twitch action style games. So I would personally take her views of this game with a grain of salt, but that doesn't mean that she shouldn't be reviewing games. There are people like her who don't enjoy these types of games and she is voicing their opinion. I don't care for it but it has a place in the review process.

Also Dark Souls is not a new IP, it's just like Demon Souls. In fact Sony should sue Namco and From Software. /S

reKon

Banned
Can we stop with USgamer reviewer is not allowed to say her opinion please. She can give it 0/10 and it shouldn't matter because outlier is a fucking outlier. I know it probably fucked up the meta score, but it's still 88. People who who didn't believe still got served crow. Although, judging how much credence we should put on USgamer score based on her past work should be also valid. If Jeff Gerstmann is to review RDR2 it would certainly raise my eyebrows because of how much our opinions differ from each other regarding Red Dead Redemption. Based on USgamer reviewer's limited work, it seems that she prefers simple adventure and puzzle games and doesn't like twitch action style games. So I would personally take her views of this game with a grain of salt, but that doesn't mean that she shouldn't be reviewing games. There are people like her who don't enjoy these types of games and she is voicing their opinion. I don't care for it but it has a place in the review process.

Also Dark Souls is not a new IP, it's just like Demon Souls. In fact Sony should sue Namco and From Software. /S

Were you saving this post and forget to post it an hour ago? Every time we move past this topic, someone bring is back, lol.

gow3isben

the last of us has the same developer, same style of narrative/storytelling, partially the same genre (3rd person shooter), and same goddamn graphics engine as uncharted.

is the last of us an uncharted game?

and none of this matters anyway as myself and others provided sources explaining it is a new IP, and I asked you besides your own word which is all you have provided, what source do you have saying it's not a new IP?

What on EARTH are you talking about? Completely different stealth based gameplay with weird fungal creatures and radically different storytelling and sense of danger. Even people who disagree with me should scoff at this horrible example.

After the links people showed I'll acknowledge it is a separate IP from an ownership standpoint. That is fact even I admit at this point. Thematically it is completely the same and I personally wouldn't classify it in separately from the Souls series when listing game series. So yes, distinct intellectual property, same franchise.

Now lets get back to Horizon.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
Man, all these good games coming out. I already bought both Resident Evil 7 and Yakuza 0. I don't have enough for more games right now.

Not

Banned
How's 4chan holding up? I imagine their distaste for "identity politics" in games is conflicting pretty hard right now with their innate desire to go after a female critic for her dissenting review.

EDIT: Yeahhh, maybe I should drop the USGamer discussion. It's bound to come up on it's own intermittently anyway over the course of the thread.

Bloodborne is objectively a new IP, and it's not up for debate. It's not a sequel, prequel, part of an existing property, nothing. It's an IP that didn't exist prior to its release.
Yeah, this. Not sure what is doing in this thread but people saying it isn't a new IP don't understand the definition of an IP and are, quite literally, objectively wrong.

What on EARTH are you talking about? Completely different stealth based gameplay with weird fungal creatures and radically different storytelling and sense of danger. Even people who disagree with me should scoff at this example.
umm, the same examples you used. same developer, same stye storytelling - the last of us and uncharted have those in common and I don't see anyone scoffing at me.

well, GAF often does scoff at me but they ain't doing it this time.

icespide

Banned
umm, the same examples you used. same developer, same stye storytelling - the last of us and uncharted have those in common and I don't see anyone scoffing at me.

you're in the right this time Artisan

Cyberia

It used Decima before it officially had a name. So back when people just referred to it as the Shadow Fall engine. The engine seems to be super flexible.

Yup.

Hermen Hulst: ''Even though it is still the original code base of the early Killzone games, it has evolved significantly; the engine has had such a major overhaul that we actually rebranded it - we now call it Decima.''

Source: GamesTM.

Not

Banned
Yeah, this. Not sure what is doing in this thread but people saying it isn't a new IP don't understand the definition of an IP and are, quite literally, objectively wrong.

It's like if Nintendo made a new IP that had jumping and collecting in it and people were like "that's a Mario game in spirit"

Rurunaki

What on EARTH are you talking about? Completely different stealth based gameplay with weird fungal creatures and radically different storytelling and sense of danger. Even people who disagree with me should scoff at this horrible example.

After the links people showed I'll acknowledge it is a separate IP from an ownership standpoint. That is fact even I admit at this point. Thematically it is completely the same and I personally wouldn't classify it in separately from the Souls series when listing game series. So yes, distinct intellectual property, same franchise.

Nope. You're not gonna weasel your way out. Let's go deeper. Would you consider Donkey Kong Country the same IP as 2D mario games?

gow3isben

The gang fever is on your side. The two series have radically different storytelling man what the hell. Last of Us is a tragedy, Uncharted is a fun adventure. Their gameplay is completely different. One focuses on high octane action and set pieces with guns blazing whereas one is a stealth game.

Anyway, back to Horizon or wat?

Nope. You're not gonna weasel your way out. Let's go deeper. Would you consider Donkey Kong Country the same IP as 2D mario games?

Listen, I'm motioning to get back to horizon but if you want to continue with this then fine. Never played it give me another comparison. But if you mean it is also a sidescroller platformer then that is a genre. It is the same genre but a different franchise and IP. Another weird example.

you're in the right this time Artisan
latest

The gang fever is on your side. They two series have radically different storytelling man what the hell. Last of Us is a tragedy, Uncharted is a fun adventure. Their gameplay is completely different. One focuses on high octane action and set pieces with guns blazing whereas one is a stealth game.
What I meant the style of storytelling. Gameplay sections to prerendered cutscenes, that's all the same. I never said nor did I mean that the tones or entertainment genres were the same

Anyway, back to Horizon or wat?
go for it

joecanada

ah yes back to horizon. did you know horizon is not actually a new IP? It's just killzone with dinosaurs, well not even really they are Helghan dinosaurs so really they're the same.

MKIL65

I'll say it again: It's like spitting at the developer's faces, when you won't acknowledge that their game is a new IP. Seriously, stop it.

gow3isben

I'll say it again: It's like spitting at the developer's faces, when you won't acknowledge that their game is a new IP. Seriously, stop it.

No it is not. It is a great game and I played the hell out of it. As I said already, I acknowledge it is considered a different intellectual property because that is literally an ownership issue. But it is still part of the same game series.

ah yes back to horizon. did you know horizon is not actually a new IP? It's just killzone with dinosaurs, well not even really they are Helghan dinosaurs so really they're the same.

Great joke man. Congratulations.

Patapwn

I went and read the review, and if that was her first big review then she has a good reviewing future ahead of her. I thought it was fairly well-written, and explained exactly why she thought it fell short. It does contain some light story spoilers though.

Her general complaints seem to fall into four categories:
- The main missions are full of claustrophobic corridors and repetitive arena battles, which negates the positives of free traversal in the world.
- The side content is full of generic RPG missions like fetch quests and "kill x creatures" that are uninteresting and repetitive.
- She feels Aloy's character never really develops, and constantly falls back to a generic "sarcastic hero".
- She says the narrative's momentum fizzles out about halfway through, leaving you to push on for several hours more, a la Wind Waker, until you finally reach the end.

I don't know, I have some issues with the review itself. A review of a review if you will.

The person did not like the game, holding that opinion should be uncontroversial. Everyone is entitled to feel a certain way. However, in the case of a professional review that goes up on teh metacritic, I think there is merit in discussing whether a particular review was 'fair or unfair' to a particular game. It's a controversial thing to declare someone's opinion 'unfair' but I think reading the review this is my conclusion.

The main takeaway I had from the criticisms are that 1. the reviewer didn't like Aloy and the story and 2. it's an open world game with open world game conventions

1. is difficult to really take issue with. Stories are very subjective. The reviewer called it c-tier sci fi, I guess I'll just have to see when I play the game myself. One criticism I thought was unfair was regarding the character of Aloy helping out others. The reviewer did not think it made sense for her to help out others given her outcast status. Uh, why is this an issue at all let alone a big issue? If you're an outcast I would imagine a longing to rejoin society. Helping people out seems like a fair method to accomplish this. This just comes off as contrived criticism.

Regarding 2. I It was claimed that the game is a boring grind because it has hunt and fetch quests. I mean come on, really? Two examples for bad side quests are given, one where you find a special weapon and another about finding someone's missing daughter and saving her from a robot alligator. Seems to be a typical set of quests that can serve to flush out the world. I'm left uncertain of what a 'good' side quest would entail and how Horizon could have meet those expectations.

As for the other criticism, that the main game is a linear arena fest, I watched many hours of streams on this game and know quite a bit. Never witnessed anything close to this. Trying to understand this criticism, my guess is that certain main quest areas are designed with a certain progression in mind like the caldrons. I don't know, taking issue with this doesn't make sense. In open world games there's always going to be handcrafted sections for points of interest. Why is this bad? You can take buzzwords and spin something any way you want. 'pointless' 'eye-rolling' 'cookie cutter' 'bland', these were some of the labels present in seemingly every other sentence.

One thing that stuck out for me is that little effort was made to present positives for the game. The game is an action rpg with an emphasis on action and nothing was spoken about regarding the action. The gameplay mechanics, the robot designs, enemy variety and encounter design, hell even the graphics which are an amazing achievement only got a single statement. How could you take the biggest part of this game and not speak to it at all in favor on shitting on standard open world side quest design? This to me is an indicator of an unfair appraisal.

As for anything else, there's really not alot to the review. It's short and says how the reviewer felt but little in the way of a justification for these feelings. The content of the review focused mainly on giving an impression on story elements from Aloy to side quests barely anything on gameplay. Unfortunately, I was left wondering if this was an attempt to garner exposure from 'my first big review' than a fair judgement of Horizon. I give the review 2.5 out of 5 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom