• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Here's a really stupid question.

I just read a guide that said that levels and stars on your weapon determine your attack strength.

I read another thing says that the stars essentially boil down to a shorthand for your attack power.

What do I really need to look at to make sure I am using a good weapon?

My impressions after finishing Legend Mode.

Well of course there could be more characters, but considering that this is the first in the series, and how detailed the characters are and how they have multiple weapons that each have their own moveset, this is definitely good enough for the first game.

Can't believe people are still whining over that. I expected 12-13 characters when the game was first announced. Got that and multiple weapons with unique movesets too. Can't complain at all.

Mesoian

Well of course there could be more characters, but considering that this is the first in the series, and how detailed the characters are and how they have multiple weapons that each have their own moveset, this is definitely good enough for the first game.

Can't believe people are still whining over that. I expected 12-13 characters when the game was first announced. Got that and multiple weapons with unique movesets too. Can't complain at all.

And if they had just announced that Cia, volga and Wizro would be playable, no one would have complained. Weirdest case of being cagey about that stuff ever.

emb

I just read a guide that said that levels and stars on your weapon determine your attack strength.

I read another thing says that the stars essentially boil down to a shorthand for your attack power.

Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I had been playing under the impression that the number beside each weapon was its power. The stars indicating the weapon's overall quality, accounting for skills and slots as well.

I'm curious to see the actual clarification on this too.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I've heard prioritize attack strength over skills. The star determines the overall power, so stick with the ones with more stars.

However, there Levels of Weapons...they're the same basic weapon, but have a different name. There are three Levels, and the weakest Lv. 2 Weapon will be better than the strongest Lv. 1 Weapon.

Nemesis_

Negatives
  • There could be more characters.
  • Agitha

The roster is robust enough already, who else would you want? The weapons for already existing characters might as well be treated as completely different ones given how differently they play too.

Agitha isn't even in Legends mode outside of some very minor appearances too :/

I suggest giving Adventure Mode a go. It's deceptively deep.

They're adding three more characters for free in October, along with at least four(?) throughout the rest of the year too for a ridiculously good price.

Kinsei

Banned
Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I had been playing under the impression that the number beside each weapon was its power. The stars indicating the weapon's overall quality, accounting for skills and slots as well.

The stars only denote attack power. For example a one star knight's sword is more powerful than a 0 star knights sword.

The roster is robust enough already, who else would you want?

Really?

Skull Kid
Tingle
Aryll
Anju
Darmani
Deku Butler
Mikau
Vaati
Tetra
King of Hyrule
Dimitri
Ricky
Moosh
The old man
Blue pig Ganon
Byrne
Nabooru
Saria
Rauru
Yeto/Yeta
Makar
Medli
Aganahim
Maple/Irene
Dampé

There are a ton of unused characters that would be amazing.

emb

I've heard prioritize attack strength over skills. The star determines the overall power, so stick with the ones with more stars.

However, there Levels of Weapons...they're the same basic weapon, but have a different name. There are three Levels, and the weakest Lv. 2 Weapon will be better than the strongest Lv. 1 Weapon.
Can we bring skills from level 1 weapons to level 2, etc?

The roster is robust enough already, who else would you want? The weapons for already existing characters might as well be treated as completely different ones given how differently they play too.

groose_by_vonblargh-d4ml7gl.jpg

SoldnerKei

Negatives
  • Performance is all over the place.
  • There could be more characters.
  • Agitha

I played it mostly co-op and the game looks like a 480p version of itself, but I think that is kind of expected, Agitha.... I couldn't stand that character, and I thought Lana would be annoying since she was pretty much a moe animu girl in her trailer(she is awesome thou)

I would love to see more characters, but there will be more characters in the future, so I am ok with that

edit: I don't know if people are serious about groose... I mean, why? lol
I am expecting un-cursed Midna and Skullkid for the future dlc, also give us Volga and Cia already, I really liked them in Legend mode

Watch Da Birdie

I realized the only handheld reference I've seen is Bow-Wow, a Mario character.

All the console games I've seen a reference to somewhere, be it an item, badge, or musical nod.

It's unfortunate. Why does the handheld aspect of franchises always seem to get ignored? It happened with Sonic Generation, and even Smash 3DS skips over much of Nintendo's handheld history.

Can we bring skills from level 1 weapons to level 2, etc?

Yeah, I assume you can through Fusion.

I'm guessing the MM pack will be Young Link who uses the masks (thus why there's a Young Link statue in Cia's Palace to hint towards this), and Skull Kid.

As far as I can tell the power number is indeed the power, with the star effects already included. you can tell because all weapons of the same type and tier with the same star rating have exactly the same power number and the difference in power between star values is 100% consistent :3

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

It's not very complicated, but could have been handled a bit better.

Essentially there are multiple classes of each weapon such as Link's swords.

-Knight Sword: First starter sword type. (Base damage ranges between 80~130 based on star levels 0-5)
-White Sword: Upgraded second sword. (Base damage ranges between 150~250 based on star levels 0-5)
-'3rd sword': same deal with higher base damage based on star rank, etc...

Essentially the class of weapon(knight sword, white sword, etc...) can be thought of being on different tier plateaus of damage output. Knight sword = tier 1, White sword = tier 2, etc... If you get lucky, you can nab 4 or 5-star versions of these weapons that have larger base damage, but always less than the next tier in line(I think there are four overall tiers).

Therefore the smithy comes into play by taking new high level swords, hopefully with high star rankings and open slots, so you can fuse favorite skills from lower weapons onto them. It all starts making sense as you progress in the game.

*Keep in mind the Master Sword is considered a completely different weapon type and is not part of this example.

Great posts, thanks!

So the defense badges in the skill trees, are they really useful? I say this because they seem to work with the element of the stage, but adventure mode, that it would be what interest me using this badges, dont use recommmend elements for the stages.

I would love to get hit by, lets say gohma, in the kill 700 enemies with Agitha stage, and only get harmed a quater of heart isntead of 4 becuase a randome laser hit me in the back while I was attacking a bunch of mobs.

Honestly, I've been wondering about the stages with no recommended element as well. I guess I might have to sit down and get smacked about a bit to find out the whole truth at some point soon XD

edit: I don't know if people are serious about groose... I mean, why? lol
I am expecting un-cursed Midna and Skullkid for the future dlc, also give us Volga and Cia already, I really liked them in Legend mode

There's a reason why I added him in the OP. Everyone on GAF loves Groose! People want him in Smash and people want him in Warriors. Could be fun.

"Un-cursed" Midna would be extremely boring and will hopefully not happen. Skullkid might not because of reasons stated earlier in thread. Tingle is most likely a given in the MM-DLC, and the character alongside him, well, I still think Skull Kid has a big chance since he's so iconic, but Happy Mask Salesman would be really amazing. The zora & goron from MM also has a chance.

Fire rod link really is better than normal link!

"Normal Link"? That don't even make no sense.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh and one of the most frustrating decisions about this game is NOT HAVING AN OVERALL STAT SHEET for your characters included. This is the only Musou game not to do this.

As a stat hound, you do seem to get bonuses to damage(and I assume defense) for leveling up. But its all seemingly hidden. You can see this somewhat by going to the training dojo and will notice you get a small boost to your overall attack for each level-up. This stacks on top of the equipped weapon's base damage.

So with Link's starter base sword of 80 at level 1. Leveling him up to 2 at the dojo will add 6 damage so he actually does 86 damage with that sword, but the game only ever shows the base 80 wpn damage on any character page. The 'actual' damage value added to that score based on character level is hidden outside of checking in at the dojo with the last weapon you had equipped in a mission.

Lame.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There's a reason why I added him in the OP. Everyone on GAF loves Groose! People want him in Smash and people want him in Warriors. Could be fun.

"Un-cursed" Midna would be extremely boring and will hopefully not happen. Skullkid might not because of reasons stated earlier in thread. Tingle is most likely a given in the MM-DLC, and the character alongside him, well, I still think Skull Kid has a big chance since he's so iconic, but Happy Mask Salesman would be really amazing. The zora & goron from MM also has a chance.

"Normal Link"? That don't even make no sense.

isnt the sword the common weapon for link, the first he uses here and the one on the cover?

Mohonky

Anyone have tips on defeating characters like Valga on mission 4 of the prologue? I was getting my ass handed to me, he breaks my block and there doesnt seem to be a lot I can do about it, even dodge is inconsistent as theres no real telegraphing of when he will pull off an attack and he is wiping me out real quick.

Even found the same with normal enemies like Darknut. I can block their regular moves, but is that the usual tactic? Just block their regular moves, wait for special attack and dodge and counter?

isnt the sword the common weapon for link, the first he uses here and the one on the cover?

Haha, it's just funny wording. It's the same Link and this isn't the first game to feature the fire rod.

Anyone have tips on defeating characters like Valga on mission 4 of the prologue? I was getting my ass handed to me, he breaks my block and there doesnt seem to be a lot I can do about it, even dodge is inconsistent as theres no real telegraphing of when he will pull off an attack and he is wiping me out real quick.

Even found the same with normal enemies like Darknut. I can block their regular moves, but is that the usual tactic? Just block their regular moves, wait for special attack and dodge and counter?

I almost never block, I just dodge instead. Just get around them and attack them, or run/dash around them until they expose their weak-point. I thought all enemies really telegraphed when they're about to attack. You'll figure the patterns out quickly.

Do use block against Zant though.

Mesoian

Generally. I usually pepper them with light attacks then dodge the moment they start blocking, which susses out counterable moves a high percentage of the time. Just chip away until they do something that allows you to do big damage.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Generally you can get 3 hits in before you should dodge attacks from officers. Or before they break your combo. Which doesn't work against my Ganondorf since he has that negate one hit of knockback upgrade.

-----------------

BTW if you don't have the Master Sword skill unlocked you can unlock sealed skills from Network Link Weapons who have unsealed the Master Sword in their game. I got one this morning.

Sadist

No network links yet :(

Btw, question guys; I've been steadily unlocking more squares on the Adventure mode map, but I haven't unlocked any new characters. Does anyone know where and how I unlock the unlockable characters?

Watch Da Birdie

Are there any costumes besides the DLC stuff?

Also, the Gamestop costumes were pre-order only, right? So, I just picked it up yesterday without a pre-order, so no costume for me?

Kinsei

Banned
Are there any costumes besides the DLC stuff?

Also, the Gamestop costumes were pre-order only, right? So, I just picked it up yesterday without a pre-order, so no costume for me?

I know the goron and zora tunics from OoT are unlockable in game.

Yeah, the kokiri tunic and the OoT zelda costume were pre-order only. They will eventually be available on the eshop though.

SoldnerKei

"Un-cursed" Midna would be extremely boring and will hopefully not happen. Skullkid might not because of reasons stated earlier in thread.

lol the more you know, well, Midna is no saint of my devotion, but I rather have her first then Tingle or Groose, but if we have characters like Agitha, there is the possibility

RPGCrazied

Btw, question guys; I've been steadily unlocking more squares on the Adventure mode map, but I haven't unlocked any new characters. Does anyone know where and how I unlock the unlockable characters?

I'm guessing the more you play Legends more, the more adventure mode opens up. Some areas stay locked until a certain point in the story? I guess, really don't know how to unlock the other squares, some are brown others blue.

Tyeforce

Yeah I would totally just put a random assumption in my OP.
I mean no offense, but you didn't provide any source, and I've yet to see one. I just find it odd. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the gaming community has made an assumption that turned out to be false. I just want to see some official confirmation.

Which Nintendo Direct, though? I watched the North American Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct, and there was no mention of the costumes being sold on the eShop in the future. The article doesn't source anything, either.

If this really is confirmed, why is it so hard to find an official source for it?

Sify64

Three network links showed up at the same time. I'm assuming that helping one of them won't cause the others to disappear, right?

Trying to get Ruto's level 3 weapon...
Fuck cuccos, I hate them.

Its already difficult doing a rank A with 6 aeroalfos with golden aura and 6 poes throwing random shit everywhere while trying to get you main base just as the level starts. Dont throw 2 cucco forces fighting a war for bases into the mix. Why the fuck are cuccos fighting each other? lol

ShinMaruku

I am so glad they kept out Groose just for these reactions. Also he rubbed me the wrong way like how the ending of Harlock rubbed my mate the wrong way.

Turn them on in the options.

I mean no offense, but you didn't provide any source, and I've yet to see one. I just find it odd. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the gaming community has made an assumption that turned out to be false. I just want to see some official confirmation.

Which Nintendo Direct, though? I watched the North American Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct, and there was no mention of the costumes being sold on the eShop in the future. The article doesn't source anything, either.

If this really is confirmed, why is it so hard to find an official source for it?

Holy hell, this guy. What do you think an OT is, an essay with references after every statement? I'm writing enough of those for the university to do it for NeoGAF as well.

If you're really so on edge regarding this little detail that adds very little to the game then by all means just try to buy costume codes from others as were your original thoughts. Don't let us stand in your way. Better be safe than sorry, I understand.

ohlawd

I keep getting damage from a keep; some kinda environmental shenanigans? Tutorial isn't teling me anything. How do I prevent this?

Dreavus

I keep getting damage from a keep; some kinda environmental shenanigans? Tutorial isn't teling me anything. How do I prevent this?

You can dispel the effect by finding an "elemental fairy" at another keep and than using it at the afflicted one. I think the fairies show up on the map. Also, it shows up in your scrolling item list when you get it.

Sadist

That means you need a fairy to lift the barrier.

If you caught a fairy in another keep, release it in the keep which damages you.

Tyeforce

Holy hell, this guy. What do you think an OT is, an essay with references after every statement? I'm writing enough of those for the university to do it for NeoGAF as well.

If you're really so on edge regarding this little detail that adds very little to the game then by all means just try to buy costume codes from others as were your original thoughts. Don't let us stand in your way. Better be safe than sorry, I understand.
=/

I'm just asking for an official source, not criticizing your OP for not including it. It's clearly a commonly asked question if there has to be a notice about it in the OP, and though it's been asked many times I've yet to find any official mention of it. That's why I question it, and I'm just asking anyone for an official source if it really does exist, not just for myself but for anyone else in doubt. No need to get upset...

I'd just like to know, you know? And while it adds very little to the experience, I'd still like to have all of the content available for the game if I can. If these costumes really are going to be sold on the eShop in the future, then I can just wait until then. But if that isn't the case, then I would like to try to find a way to buy the codes I need before it's too late. That's why I'm asking. But I don't want to go tracking down the codes on eBay or wherever and spending the money on them now if I don't have to. That's why I'd like to see official confirmation of this claim.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Agitha isn't even in Legends mode outside of some very minor appearances too :/

I suggest giving Adventure Mode a go. It's deceptively deep.

They're adding three more characters for free in October, along with at least four(?) throughout the rest of the year too for a ridiculously good price.

I'm on the Adventure Mode. It's fun until I reached a Fi stage
KuGsj.gif

As for Agitha I dont like her playstyle and IMO there could have been better characters taking that spot. I know more DLC will come and they are probably saving more if they make a sequel later on. Afterall once they have one game they already have half of the cast set and double it for the next game (Look at the One Piece game)

As for the DLC Im not entirely sure if Im buying the season pass yet but we'll see.

Really?

Skull Kid
Tingle
Aryll
Anju
Darmani
Deku Butler
Mikau
Vaati
Tetra
King of Hyrule
Dimitri
Ricky
Moosh
The old man
Blue pig Ganon
Byrne
Nabooru
Saria
Rauru
Yeto/Yeta
Makar
Medli
Aganahim
Maple/Irene
Dampé

There are a ton of unused characters that would be amazing.
Shhhh each character having multiple weapons solves it.
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom