• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoy101

InertiaXr said:
Excellent, both connected up perfectly. My PSU came with 2 cables with 4 of those connectors each, but I don't think I will ever be up to 8 HDs...:lol

I can already see trying to hide all these cables and keep them organized being the worst part of this whole building thing. :lol

On the off-chance you don't know, take off the other side of your case. It helps to route cables along that back plate on the other side (so long as the case has room) and keeps things much neater and pleasant to look at in the main case. Plus, I think it helps airflow, though that's my superstition.

Lime

Do we have any idea about the price point of Nvidia's 560? Is it around 280 USD?

And does anyone know when AMD or Nvidia will update their cards? Not necessarily a new line (79XX or 6XX series), but like the upgrade from 4870->4890.

TheKurgan

Sorry to ask this again but I think it got lost in one one of earlier posts.

At 1080p will I loose much by going with a 6870($200) over a 6950($289)? I would like to be able to play Crysis at and acceptable level, but most of my time will be spent in RPG's like Fallout and eventually SkyRim/Diablo III and RTS type games like HOMM V, StarCraft and Civ 5 etc.

Kraut

I've checked around a bit already, but I figured I'd ask on GAF to make sure:

I've got a pair of two 1GB DDR2 PC6400 sticks, and my friend is selling two 2GB sticks of DDR2 PC8000. I've already settled on buying them, but would I be able to run both together? I'm interested both in whether it is possible and if it is functionally safe/stable.

SSD, CPU, Mobo and RAM finally came. Putting all my steam games on my new hard drive now, then i'll fire her up! Can't wait.

i5-2500k
Gigabyte P67A-UD3P
Radeon 6950
6gb ram
120 OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB

All in a HAF 922. Looks pretty good. I didn't realize how gigantic the 6950 is...I thought my 260 was big.

AshMcCool

So I just saw a GTX 460 with my own eyes for the first time and, jesus christ, that card is small. In comparsion to my GTX 260 its almost ridiculous. It also have low power consumption as Im being told, so: Great work, Nvidia!

Emitan

AshMcCool said:
So I just saw a GTX 460 with my own eyes for the first time and, jesus christ, that card is small. In comparsion to my GTX 260 its almost ridiculous. It also have low power consumption as Im being told, so: Great work, Nvidia!
Yeah. One of my old roommates had a 260 and one had a 460. It's crazy.

Shambles

I have a question about steam codes. If you are entering a promo code for a game does it force it onto the account that it is redeemed on or can you redeem it on your account and gift it to someone else through you?

TheKurgan said:
Sorry to ask this again but I think it got lost in one one of earlier posts.

At 1080p will I loose much by going with a 6870($200) over a 6950($289)? I would like to be able to play Crysis at and acceptable level, but most of my time will be spent in RPG's like Fallout and eventually SkyRim/Diablo III and RTS type games like HOMM V, StarCraft and Civ 5 etc.

This time I have better info. If you unlock the 6950 into a 6970 expect even better performance.
perfrel_1920.gif
perfrel_1920.gif

Here is the full review of the 6950 with the 6870 included. And here is the review for the 6970 if you unlock

Wallach

Shambles said:
I have a question about steam codes. If you are entering a promo code for a game does it force it onto the account that it is redeemed on or can you redeem it on your account and gift it to someone else through you?

I don't think you can gift it. It is just redeemed immediately for the account.

Shambles

TheKurgan said:
Hmmm... - 12% difference. Still torn on what to do, but I will probably pick up a 6870! Thanks for the info.

I just edited my post to include the performance numbers for the 6970 since you can unlock 6950's to 6970's. Want to make sure you didn't miss it.

ZZMitch

Well GAF I was able to copy one of the crash logs I got after one of the random crashes I have been getting.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800487C1E0
BCP2: FFFFF88004F66028
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

I looked it up and talked to my cousin and he said it looks like a memory dump error... I don't know what that means exactly... Does that mean it possibly has to do with bad ram or some sort of software problem?

I am going to run a memtest sometime in the near future when I have some time to do it. But for now I was just looking on some GAF input on this... I seem to get it once or twice a day, and while it seems to happen most often while playing games, I have had it happen while simply browsing the web or at my desktop so it seems pretty random.

TheKurgan

Shambles said:
I just edited my post to include the performance numbers for the 6970 since you can unlock 6950's to 6970's. Want to make sure you didn't miss it.

Yes I saw the numbers, thanks again. I will just pickup a 6950 - even if it is a bit of an overkill. Better to have more GPU power than not enough :D

Shambles

ZZMitch said:
Well GAF I was able to copy one of the crash logs I got after one of the random crashes I have been getting.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800487C1E0
BCP2: FFFFF88004F66028
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

I looked it up and talked to my cousin and he said it looks like a memory dump error... I don't know what that means exactly... Does that mean it possibly has to do with bad ram or some sort of software problem?

I am going to run a memtest sometime in the near future when I have some time to do it. But for now I was just looking on some GAF input on this... I seem to get it once or twice a day, and while it seems to happen most often while playing games, I have had it happen while simply browsing the web or at my desktop so it seems pretty random.

Looks like BCCode 116 is related to the GPU. You can try to delete and re-install the drivers. If that doesn't work than it's probably a GPU that's gone bad.

ZZMitch

Shambles said:
Looks like BCCode 116 is related to the GPU. You can try to delete and re-install the drivers. If that doesn't work than it's probably a GPU that's gone bad.

It would be a shame if that were true, seeing as bought my video card (GTX 460) in late October and have already had to RMA it once... would suck if it broke again!

So I've been running Memtest for around 2 hours and have completed 2, almost 3 passes with 0 errors so far. How many passes should I go until I should feel satisfied and come to the conclusion that my RAM isn't bad? (which makes me more confused as to the reason XMP profile1 crashes my system).

Also, just to bring my questions onto the new page, the first part a response to Haz' advice on Memtesting individual sticks of RAM.

MisterAnderson said:
I actually have 3 sticks (triple channel) so it would take a while for me to do that. Why test all of them, then if they clear, test them individually (unless the first test shows errors)? If I'm going to test them individually anyway shouldn't I just skip testing them all at once?

Also just to clarify, if I'm testing one stick at a time I always need to put it in the first slot of the first channel, right?

Another kind of random question, my friend ended up returning the 5770 and the dual core AMD and got the GTX460 and this from the OP instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=amd_athlon_ii_x4-_-19-103-871-_-Product

He was wondering, for the money does it pay to get the "next one up" from that AMD processor? Or even the one after that? Assuming that they can use the same motherboard that we already set up, which is the one in the OP as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gigabyte GTX 460 by any chance?

Just curious, because I've been seeing those drop like flies lately. Could be due to their popularity though.

ZZMitch

TheExodu5 said:
Gigabyte GTX 460 by any chance?

Just curious, because I've been seeing those drop like flies lately. Could be due to their popularity though.

Yeah, Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB :/

First one would completely die five minutes into any game and revert to onboard graphics (800x600 lol) and this one likes to crash once a day on me I guess.

Well at least I am improving! If it really is a card issue maybe the next one will actually work correctly! :lol

Zachack

I'm rebuilding an old system that died over the weekend, which means I've wound up scrapping most of its ancient parts (it was a P4), but for the time being I'm keeping the geforce 6600 that was inside (since it was PCI-E). The new processor will be an e6700, but I don't know what an affordable replacement Nvidia card (ideally around or under $75) would be because I never really paid attention. I assumed a 8800gt would be a good match but Newegg isn't selling those any longer and when the numbering changed to the 3-digit style I stopped paying attention (mostly because my main system has a 4850). Any suggestions for a replacement card?

Pimpbaa

AshMcCool said:

Small?! It isn't small. I guess maybe comparing to high end cards it's small. All video cards are massive these days. Last video card I had that could be considered small was a Geforce 9800GT (had a very slim single slot cooler).

Stealth

Everything has arrived except my CPU, which is 3 hours away. The anticipation is killing me. It's like being to leave for ready for a day at the beach when it just starts raining.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Small?! It isn't small. I guess maybe comparing to high end cards it's small. All video cards are massive these days. Last video card I had that could be considered small was a Geforce 9800GT (had a very slim single slot cooler).
Single slot coolers were awful. GTX 460 can be considered a sleeping beauty beside the incredibly noisy 8800GT.

Confusatron said:
Just noticed you have an H67 mobo teamed up with your i5 2500K in that build. Not sure if you know or not, but you need a P67 in order to OC the K series processors. If you're not worried about OCing the processor, save yourself $10 and drop down to the i5 2500. Otherwise, you might want to upgrade the mobo to a P67.

Well that stinks. Why is it that they don't want you to OC on certain motherboards?

Yessss, UPS just came back and brought back what was missing (PSU, RAM, wireless card).

Now I only need my DVD drive which should arrive tomorrow. Wish there was a way to install Windows 7 without it.

JoeBoy101

Grimm Fandango said:
Yessss, UPS just came back and brought back what was missing (PSU, RAM, wireless card).

Now I only need my DVD drive which should arrive tomorrow. Wish there was a way to install Windows 7 without it.

Wish those assholes would stop by with my shipment they've had in their truck out for delivery the E-N-T-I-R-E day.

TheFatOne

I was going to wait for the 650D to come out, but I'm starting to fall in love with the HAF X. It just makes much more sense because it has so much more room, and I love the way it looks. I think I may just build my new rig at the end of February. I'm trying to make my rig as quiet as possible with as much cooling as possible. Is the Noctua NH-D14 the way to go?

Ecto311

Grimm Fandango said:

Can't you install it with a thumb drive? Heard about people doing that on their netbooks.

sam27368

Banned
Right so I've been enjoying my lovely new PC since Monday, although now I have the predicament of "what game to play?!"

I've got too much to choose from! What game do you recommend to play (aside from ME and ME2 as I've recently finished them)

JoeBoy101 said:
Wish those assholes would stop by with my shipment they've had in their truck out for delivery the E-N-T-I-R-E day.

I actually saw the truck and delivery guy on my way back from classes. It was 2 blocks from my apartment and it was 2 hours before I got the first round of stuff... seriously lame.

Question about my case (Antec 300 Illusion). Am I just supposed to knock out the old rear I/O panel shield? Doesn't seem to come off easily. It seems cheap and flimsy but I don't want to smash it out to then realize I need it.

Majeh said:
Yup, pretty easy to do and installs faster(I think) than disk.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Thanks, I'm going to try this.

edit: wait this will be on a brand new HDD and everything. Will the boot up recognize it?

very late edit: think this is what I'm looking for: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_install_windows_7_beta_a_usb_key?page=0,0

I am looking at upgrading my pc storage space but with a twist, I love external drives as I can just take it where I like and while at home it will work 90% as fast as my internal one, at least my current Freecom 240GB does.

Bumped into this 2TB external on play.com, runs completely from usb and looks slick, anyone know more about externals from different brands? if this were to be slower then my freecom it would be rather useless to me since I install some of my games onto an external, my pc only has a 160GB in it (cheap gaming pc)

-I would prefer to have my storage space on an external just because I can move it and it's easy to plug and play

-don't really want to buy an internal drive as I already have windows installed on my smaller one, this would mostly be for games.

I like to be awkward :p

knitoe

Final got my i7 2600K and set everything up. Jump right to 4500 MHz high of 67C without any issue. Happy with that speed, and now, just trying to go lower cpu voltage. Currently, running at 1.256V and stress testing.

Smokey

Billychu said:
I haven't used that, but I've used maybe 5 different D-Link products from USB WiFi adaptors, to wireless routers, to switches and every single one broke within a short period of time. Maybe they've improved but to me they're the Madcatz of networking equipment.

To each their own.

I did quite a bit of research on the Dlink DIR 655 before buying it and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive. Very good speeds, very little tinkering needs to be done with the consoles, and it very very rarely drops a connection for me.

InertiaXr

First off, everything has gone pretty smoothly. Admittedly it took me over 3 hours to put everything together, mostly because the instructions that come with the 212+ blow and I had to resort to youtube, and figuring how where all the damn things plug into the mobo. :lol

However, now that i'm up and running and sitting at my desktop I can't seem to find either the wireless adapter that's on the mobo, or wireless drivers on Asus' website. I have a P8P67. I sure hope it does have wireless built into the mobo, right?

Shambles

InertiaXr said:
First off, everything has gone pretty smoothly. Admittedly it took me over 3 hours to put everything together, mostly because the instructions that come with the 212+ blow and I had to resort to youtube, and figuring how where all the damn things plug into the mobo. :lol

However, now that i'm up and running and sitting at my desktop I can't seem to find either the wireless adapter that's on the mobo, or wireless drivers on Asus' website. I have a P8P67. I sure hope it does have wireless built into the mobo, right?

I don't want to be the one to break the bad news but...

InertiaXr

Shambles said:
I don't want to be the one to break the bad news but...

I can use my girlfriends old netgear adapter then, I guess. Why doesn't it have wireless built onto the mobo? I assumed that was just a given...

I'm having a hard time picking out a motherboard for Core i5 2500k since there are very few reviews up for any models.

If I get one from any these makers, I should be in good shape, correct?
-Gigabyte
-MSI
-Asus

Shambles

InertiaXr said:
I can use my girlfriends old netgear adapter then, I guess. Why doesn't it have wireless built onto the mobo? I assumed that was just a given...

Almost no motherboard have wireless integrated onto them. I'm not sure if it's a cost issue, something that hardly any users want or what. I'm a strong advocate of wired connections but I know that's not always possible and it's nice to have the choice. Even if they integrated it the quality of the wireless components would probably be a lot worse than a seperate wifi card.

Nabs

sam27368 said:
Right so I've been enjoying my lovely new PC since Monday, although now I have the predicament of "what game to play?!"

I've got too much to choose from! What game do you recommend to play (aside from ME and ME2 as I've recently finished them)
Mirrors Edge is a nice one. Just Cause 2, Mafia 2, Dirt 2... Crysis?

I hope you made use of the last Steam sale

peppermints said:
I'm having a hard time picking out a motherboard for Core i5 2500k since there are very few reviews up for any models.

If I get one from any these makers, I should be in good shape, correct?
-Gigabyte
-MSI
-Asus

Sorry for quoting myself, but one more question in addition to this. What is a sufficient PSU for the new Sandy Bridge i5's? 500w? 600w?

Wrekt

peppermints said:
Sorry for quoting myself, but one more question in addition to this. What is a sufficient PSU for the new Sandy Bridge i5's? 500w? 600w?
That depends on the rest of the components. What kind of graphics card(s) are you using in particular?

If you are just going with a single video card, 500 should be enough.

Wrekt said:
That depends on the rest of the components. What kind of graphics card(s) are you using in particular?

If you are just going with a single video card, 500 should be enough.

Just a GTX 460 at the moment. Not planning on using two cards in the near future. Thanks!

As mentioned before, Shattered Horizon is drop dead gorgeous (It's one of 2 games on par with Crysis for best graphics with Metro 2033). Unfortunately there's not terribly many people playing it.

I need the help of PC gaf, my mum's shitty old dell dimension c521's motherboard died and she went and bought herself a new computer, so the broken c521 fell into my hands. I want to salvage all the parts I can (only the mobo is broken) and use them to build a really cheap pc to use for a minecraft server for me and my friends, maybe a home server and that kind of stuff. I figure I'll need a new case, mobo and cpu (I don't think its possible to salvage the one in the c521) I also have some spare ram and hdd's lying around my house somewhere so I am good in that department. I have built a computer in the past but I don't have the faintest clue about what parts to buy, so if you guys could select me some parts that would work and would be real cheap/quiet that would be swell. I live in the UK by the way. Also would it be worth it to do this or would it just be cheaper to buy a really cheap netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom