• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson

:(. I think my video card just died. Just as I was starting a race on iracing the screen froze and the sound started skipping and I couldn't do anything except hard reset. As soon as windows was booting it would get to the loading bar for windows thingy and the screen was filled with gray little dots. Then the bar stopped loading and the screen just had the dots and wouldn't boot further. It goes into safe mode fine but not normal windows. Dead card?

TheExodu5

Banned
Eiji said:
Which is better? Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow for 2500k OC'd?

24_diagrt(xbt).png

So I've been increasing my BCLK slowly, constantly restarting and seeing if I can get to Windows and so far so good. Right now I'm at 150MHz BCLK which multiplies my RAM to 1200MHz. It's possible I'm able to achieve my desired RAM MHz through just adjusting my BCLK, so we'll see how high I can go by doing this.

I currently have my main voltage settings set to auto. I'm currently at 150MHz BCLK (up from 133 default). Should I be manually increasing my voltage yet? How high should I be worrying about doing that? I kind of think what is messing things up is when I have to take my RAM voltage up from 1.5V. For whatever reason my motherboard is not cooperating with that. But I could be wrong and it could be another issue entirely, just speculation still.

Since The Witcher 2 is coming out I've been thinking whether I should upgrade my graphics card, or just build a new pc. With the new Intel processors out I went to newegg and was shocked that I could put together a monster build for under $1K. Here is what I got:

Everything for a cool $824.94. No hard-drive since I already have a few that I can use in the new build. What do you think oh mighty PC-building-GAF?

Blackface

Banned
Anyone else have a Vertex 2? hardwarecanucks say best in class performance. I plan on grabing one with a 560 at the end of the month.

ZZMitch

Branson said:
:(. I think my video card just died. Just as I was starting a race on iracing the screen froze and the sound started skipping and I couldn't do anything except hard reset. As soon as windows was booting it would get to the loading bar for windows thingy and the screen was filled with gray little dots. Then the bar stopped loading and the screen just had the dots and wouldn't boot further. It goes into safe mode fine but not normal windows. Dead card?

Got another card to test? Although in my experiences graphical glitches like that usually indicate video card failures.

Velion said:
Yes, a HAF would fit pretty much all cards on the market.

I've heard people having issues with their power supply cables reaching spots on the motherboard/hard drive due to the cases being too large (full tower cases mostly). Is this exaggerated mostly or can it really be an issue? I don't see reviews on this case bringing that up which is a good sign I suppose.

TheExodu5

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
I've heard people having issues with their power supply cables reaching spots on the motherboard/hard drive due to the cases being too large (full tower cases mostly). Is this exaggerated mostly or can it really be an issue? I don't see reviews on this case bringing that up which is a good sign I suppose.

If you get Corsair, you'll be fine. The only cable that will need an extension will be the 8 pin, and the HAF 932 should come with that.

Here's a pic of a Corsair in a HAF X:

newpc2.jpg

Branson

ZZMitch said:
Got another card to test? Although in my experiences graphical glitches like that usually indicate video card failures.
I might I'm not sure. It was an 8800gt so I might be in need of an upgrade or new computer anyway. Lol.

Velion

Lasthope106 said:
Since The Witcher 2 is coming out I've been thinking whether I should upgrade my graphics card, or just build a new pc. With the new Intel processors out I went to newegg and was shocked that I could put together a monster build for under $1K. Here is what I got:

Everything for a cool $824.94. No hard-drive since I already have a few that I can use in the new build. What do you think oh mighty PC-building-GAF?
Either go with G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 / G.SKILL 8GB DDR3.

MisterAnderson said:
So I've been increasing my BCLK slowly, constantly restarting and seeing if I can get to Windows and so far so good. Right now I'm at 150MHz BCLK which multiplies my RAM to 1200MHz. It's possible I'm able to achieve my desired RAM MHz through just adjusting my BCLK, so we'll see how high I can go by doing this.

I currently have my main voltage settings set to auto. I'm currently at 150MHz BCLK (up from 133 default). Should I be manually increasing my voltage yet? How high should I be worrying about doing that? I kind of think what is messing things up is when I have to take my RAM voltage up from 1.5V. For whatever reason my motherboard is not cooperating with that. But I could be wrong and it could be another issue entirely, just speculation still.

So I definitely think it's a voltage issue now. I set the BCLK to 166 to multiply my Memory frequency to a cool 1333MHz with all of my voltages set to "auto" and it failed on bootup. I did the same thing, except set the DRAM voltage to 1.5V and the QPI voltage to 1.175 and it booted...I think I won't be able to get higher than that for my RAM cause once you start going over 1333MHz don't you start needing to ramp up the DRAM voltage?

Edit: Just to test, I tried setting the BCLK back to 133, and just increasing the memory multiplier to 10 to get to 1333MHz RAM. That worked too... so I guess the problem was having the RAM and QPI voltage set to auto and the mobo would maybe over compensate and cause it to not be stable/not boot up?

ZZMitch

Branson said:
I might I'm not sure. It was an 8800gt so I might be in need of an upgrade or new computer anyway. Lol.

Oh, I'd upgrade, it is time for one! If your video card did die I guess getting the issue fixed is just a bonus!

Chris R

The 922 doesn't come with any expansion cords. My brothers build has the cables going straight up to reach the 20/8s due to the psus length not being long enough :( ill have to look into the next step up for my next build because the case is killer otherwise.

TheExodu5

Banned
rhfb said:
The 922 doesn't come with any expansion cords. My brothers build has the cables going straight up to reach the 20/8s due to the psus length not being long enough :( ill have to look into the next step up for my next build because the case is killer otherwise.

Those must be some really short cables. My cousin's 922 build with an Enermax (which has really short cables) was able to pass the 8 pin. The 922 is a mid tower, after all.

Chris R

They are pretty short but it doesn't matter that much. It isn't like he is staring in there all the time looking at the cables.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Was reading around and is it true that its bad to overclock much on a 4Pin CPU power Mobo? My Mobo doesnt actually have 8pin CPU power just 1 4pin plug in.

My Mobo is rated for 140 watt TDP processors.

So I was able to boot to Windows setting my RAM to 1600 MHz, but only if I kept my voltage at 1.5V (which my RAM is rated for 1.65V for 1600MHz). It was unstable as a result, my plan was to slowly up the voltage in small increments. Unfortunately for me the lowest option I have after 1.5V is 1.54V. So I chose that, booted up, and it flashed a BSOD error after the Windows start screen like it does when I activate XMP profile 1, and rebooted. Then after starting up again, I get this BSOD screen with this error:

ixtxuf.jpg

Jin34

MisterAnderson said:
So I was able to boot to Windows setting my RAM to 1600 MHz, but only if I kept my voltage at 1.5V (which my RAM is rated for 1.65V for 1600MHz). It was unstable as a result, my plan was to slowly up the voltage in small increments. Unfortunately for me the lowest option I have after 1.5V is 1.54V. So I chose that, booted up, and it flashed a BSOD error after the Windows start screen like it does when I activate XMP profile 1, and rebooted. Then after starting up again, I get this BSOD screen with this error:

ixtxuf.jpg

Is there a setting that makes the computer reboot when a BSOD happens? Because mine always reboots before I can get a good look at it.

Jin34 said:
Is there a setting that makes the computer reboot when a BSOD happens? Because mine always reboots before I can get a good look at it.

Not sure because at first mine rebooted practically the instant a BSOD happened, this was what showed up after that reboot, after the POST screen.

Is a third party cpu cooler really necessary if I go with an i7? I don't plan on overclocking it at all, will I be okay with the stock fan?

Oh ma I just discussed Boxee on my (now 2nd) computer that's now hooked up to my TV.

I have used XBMC before, but Boxee just destroys it. GREAT program that has blown me away.

knitoe

Blackface said:
Anyone else have a Vertex 2? hardwarecanucks say best in class performance. I plan on grabing one with a 560 at the end of the month.
I am running the 60GB version.

Windows Experience Index: 7.7 Disk transfer rate

Test1.jpg

test2.jpg

knitoe

Deadly Monk said:
Is a third party cpu cooler really necessary if I go with an i7? I don't plan on overclocking it at all, will I be okay with the stock fan?
If you don't plan to overclock, stock cooler should be fine. But, if it was me, i would spend another $20-30 more to keep the CPU much cooler and have the option to overclock in the future.

Blackface

Banned
Deadly Monk said:

No it isn't necessary what so ever if you are not going to OC. The stock one keeps temps nice and cool. It should keep it in the 30's under load and in the high 20's when idle. Which is great.

Okay, I think I'm finally done planning. Here it is:

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Videocard: XFX HD-695A-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Ram: CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

SSD: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G2K5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Here's a link to it if that makes it easier: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetailPrint.aspx?ID=12329365

I'm going to be using my current HD and DVD burner for the new build but other than that, how does it look? Any advice? I want to be able to play all of this years releases without too much worry and have my backlog games run smoothly.

knitoe

Deadly Monk said:
I'm going to be using my current HD and DVD burner for the new build but other than that, how does it look? Any advice? I want to be able to play all of this years releases without too much worry and have my backlog games run smoothly.
Get ram rated to run on 1.5V. Still suggest you get spend $20-30 on 3rd party cooler, like Cooler Master 212+.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Deadly Monk said:
Okay, I think I'm finally done planning. Here it is:

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Videocard: XFX HD-695A-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Ram: CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

SSD: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G2K5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Looks good, get a CM 212+, maybe some scythe fans if you want less noise.
Do you really need a 2600K for hyper threading? I doubt it. 2500K instead.

Lasthope106 said:
Riddle me this:

2X G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 = $49.99 * 2 = $99.98
1X G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 = $129.99
It costs more money to cram double the data in the same modules.
MisterAnderson said:
So I was able to boot to Windows setting my RAM to 1600 MHz, but only if I kept my voltage at 1.5V (which my RAM is rated for 1.65V for 1600MHz). It was unstable as a result, my plan was to slowly up the voltage in small increments. Unfortunately for me the lowest option I have after 1.5V is 1.54V. So I chose that, booted up, and it flashed a BSOD error after the Windows start screen like it does when I activate XMP profile 1, and rebooted. Then after starting up again, I get this BSOD screen with this error
Just drop the issue and run at 1066 or 1333. You are spending way too much time and effort for a 1-3% increase. Update your BIOS and RMA if that doesn't work.

5.7GHz on air - Sandy Bridge batch #L042B074

othv9u.jpg

http://hwbot.org/community/submission/2106310_

Core i7 2600K
5.7468GHz @ 1.584v
Asus P8P67 Pro
Thermalright IFX-14

LiquidMamba said:
I think I ordered the wrong RAM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310
It turns out a ordered one stick of 4gb ram instead of 2x2. Will my computer work properly with one stick? Should I order another one?
It will work, but you'd be missing out on one of your board's best features. You should either order another 4GB module like that, or if you highly doubt that you'll be needing more than 4GB anytime soon, cancel and replace that order with a 2x2GB kit. For the small difference in price, having 2x4GB is worth it, though.

Amooox

Hello,
I'm thinking of upgrading to a better GPU just not sure what to get, considering the GTX 570 but it's a bit too expensive, are there any other better options? Should I wait for something better to come along in the near future?
I've been out of the loop for a while :/.
My Current Specs: CPU: Intel core2 quad Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz / RAM: 4 gig DDR2 1066 / Motherboard: ASUS striker II formula / GPU: GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
I'm also considering getting a new case, any other areas I should consider upgrading?

·feist· said:
It will work, but you'd be missing out on one of your boards best features. You should either order another 4GB module like that, or if you highly doubt that you'll be need more than 4GB anytime soon, cancel and replace that order with a 2x2GB kit. For the small difference in price, having 2x4GB is worth it, though.

Thanks, I already have the RAM, so I still probably just order another stick in Feb. Will my computer suffer a performance hit in the meantime?

Anyone know how to remove a PCI-E video card? I cannot for the life of me get the one out of my old computer. I've pushed back and forwards on the tab and nothing. I have barely any room in there.

vocab

Mobius1B7R said:
Anyone know how to remove a PCI-E video card? I cannot for the life of me get the one out of my old computer. I've pushed back and forwards on the tab and nothing. I have barely any room in there.

Unscrew it from the case and pull it out? Installing shit is way harder than removing, and that's a fact.

Amooox said:
Hello,
I'm thinking of upgrading to a better GPU just not sure what to get, considering the GTX 570 but it's a bit too expensive, are there any other better options? Should I wait for something better to come along in the near future?
My Current Specs: CPU: Intel core2 quad Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz / RAM: 4 gig DDR2 1066 / Motherboard: ASUS striker II formula / GPU: GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
I'm also considering getting a new case, any other areas I should consider upgrading?

Your processor is holding you back, but for a full gpu increase wait to see prices on gtx 560/6950 -6970 1GB.

Amooox said:
Hello,
Try overclocking your C2Q to ~3.4GHz, or higher if possible.

GPU wise, have a look at the Radeon 6950 2GB (lower-priced 1GB model will be releasing soon) and GTX 560.

LiquidMamba said:
Thanks, I already have the RAM, so I still probably just order another stick in Feb. Will my computer suffer a performance hit in the meantime?
Well, since you already have the stick, you may want to actually keep it that way until/unless you feel the need for more memory performance based on use. Dual sticks would have been nice, but in general real world performance, there isn't much difference (though some software, like 3D apps, does take a small hit).

Stink

Mobius1B7R said:
Mine has a little catch at the end of the slot (nearest the HDDs) that needed to be bent back (only a little) to release the GPU.

Yeah I took the motherboard out and there's a blue clip holding the end of the card on, like a lock. I like to think I know what i'm doing but that little blue tab will not bend.

edit-Welp the tab broke off...one way to get the card out! :(

Hazaro said:
Just drop the issue and run at 1066 or 1333. You are spending way too much time and effort for a 1-3% increase. Update your BIOS and RMA if that doesn't work.

I think you're missing the point (and I might possibly too, but let me elaborate). I ultimately would like to overclock my CPU. Since the BCLK is directly associated with the memory multiplier, won't being limited to 1333 limit the amount I can overclock my i7 920? Or am I missing something.

And I know that coolers have been talked about to death in this thread and the general consensus seems to be the Coolermaster 212, the Thermalite or Noctura, would the Coolermaster V6GT do the trick? It seems like it has gotten good reviews and I just really like the way it looks.

Socket Pin Burnout Returns to Haunt LGA1155?
http://www.techpowerup.com/138604/Socket-Pin-Burnout-Returns-to-Haunt-LGA1155-.html

Last year, credible reports of a design defect with LGA1156 sockets made by a certain component manufacturer in particular, made headlines. Reviewers found that extreme overclocking using increase voltages, in test cases, caused certain pins of the socket to burn out, damaging both the board and processor. The defect was found to be caused by shorting between the pins and the socket causing tiny electrical arcs. Motherboard reviewer from TechReaction.net discovered that his Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 and GA-P67A-UD7 samples showed signs of socket burn. The publication is yet to receive a reply from the board manufacturer.

LGA1155 and LGA1156 are very similar in physical pin layout, chip package, and retention clips, although the pin-maps are significantly different. TechReaction comments that while only "extreme conditions" cause such pin burnouts, 24/7-stable overclocked settings could, over a period of time, create similar conditions. Only time, and extensive testing will reveal if burnouts are a cause for concern to enthusiasts.

129a_thm.jpg

[Blog] “Socket burn” is back with Sandy Bridge!
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/01/14/blog-socket-burn-is-back-with-sandy-bridge/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom