• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for everyone using SSD. I am considering picking up an SSD next month as a mini upgrade for my PC combined with a 1-2TB drive for Data/games. Anyone with a similar setup noticed any problems with performance/speed? I know that I can't afford a SSD large enough to hold all my games so I am looking at a 64gb SSD to store Windows and the other drive to hold my other stuff on.

knitoe

Str0ngStyle said:
Question for everyone using SSD. I am considering picking up an SSD next month as a mini upgrade for my PC combined with a 1-2TB drive for Data/games. Anyone with a similar setup noticed any problems with performance/speed? I know that I can't afford a SSD large enough to hold all my games so I am looking at a 64gb SSD to store Windows and the other drive to hold my other stuff on.
My setup: SSD 60GB (OS & daily programs = 20GB free), Raid Raptors (programs & games) and WD 2TB Green (Storage). Replacing Raptors tomorrow for Samsung F3 1TB.

It's so much faster loading OS, firefox, photoshop and etc. on SSD than on raid Raptors. Guess, as a side effect of OS on SSD, everything on the other drives seem to also load faster.

Prodigal

Banned
So with this Turbo Boost thing, is all I need to do enable it in BIOS then change the multiplier from 33 to 37 or 45 or whatever? I changed it to 37 and in CPU-Z the core speed was switching back and forth between 1596mhz x 16 and 3693mhz x 4, not sure what that's about.

knitoe

SuperÑ said:
I can't wait to buy a next gen SSD..when do they ship?
Heard Crucial C400 in February and new sandforce sometime in 2nd quarter. I couldn't wait that long for the new sandforce.

knitoe

Prodigal said:
So with this Turbo Boost thing, is all I need to do enable it in BIOS then change the multiplier from 33 to 37 or 45 or whatever? I changed it to 37 and in CPU-Z the core speed was switching back and forth between 1596mhz x 16 and 3693mhz x 4, not sure what that's about.
It's Intel Speedstep. When your computer is at idle or don't need much power, it drops down to 1600Mhz to save power. Once the load gets heavy, CPU starts clocking up, to 3700Mhz in your case. Run Prime 95 and you will see.

Shaneus

What's the fastest non-SSD drive to get these days? My main storage is currently 2x1.5TB 5400RPM drives but I'm beginning to think that they're not that much quicker (if at all) than a single 7200. Might just bite the bullet and go the best possible for maximum storage (not the Momentus XT, just regular platter drive).

Edit: The drives
lGFwD.png

Pretty cheap (in AUD) but I never know which brand is the one to go for these days. 2x2TB RAID0 is the likely option.

knitoe

Shaneus said:
What's the fastest non-SSD drive to get these days? My main storage is currently 2x1.5TB 5400RPM drives but I'm beginning to think that they're not that much quicker (if at all) than a single 7200. Might just bite the bullet and go the best possible for maximum storage (not the Momentus XT, just regular platter drive).

lGFwD.png

Pretty cheap (in AUD) but I never know which brand is the one to go for these days. 2x2TB RAID0 is the likely option.
That would be Raptors, but at their price, might as well go SSD for OS & Storage setup. Otherwise, go with a WD Black.

Prodigal

Banned
knitoe said:
It's Intel Speedstep. When your computer is at idle or don't need much power, it drops down to 1600Mhz to save power. Once the load gets heavy, CPU starts clocking up, to 3700Mhz in your case. Run Prime 95 and you will see.

Ah that's awesome, thanks!

Seagoon

Felix Lighter said:
According to the results you are running 10.12. The problems I've been having is, when my monitor goes to sleep, it sometimes crashes the system and causes a reboot. 11.1 should be coming out soon and if you don't have any major issues you may be fine until then.

I had the same issues until I installed the 10.12a drivers.

Neiteio

Hi everyone:

I'm reposting this here in the hopes the experts can help me...

What is the item you'd recommend for each of the following categories (I believe these are all the categories there are to a computer)? If you can please be very specific, right down to the brand for each version, that would be HUGELY appreciated.

Let's fill in the blanks -- you may be the difference in whether I ever get a PC with some power! And don't worry about price for now, though $1,500 or below would be the sweet spot...

THE CATEGORIES:

1) CASE: I need something with a fan pre-installed that will keep its cool, stay quiet and contain all the parts you recommend for the below...

2) MOTHERBOARD: The best you can give me.

3) PROCESSOR (CPU): The best you can give me.

4) GRAPHICS CARD: Something that can run Amnesia: The Dark Descent, both BioShock games, both Left 4 Dead games, The Orange Box, Portal 2, Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition, Crysis, etc, at high settings and silky smooth framerates without breaking a sweat.

5) RAM: The best you can give me.

6) HDD: At least 1TB. I will set up partitions on it and use the HDD for multimedia storage -- pictures, music, video, etc. I hear this works well.

7) SSD: At least 60 GB, though 80 GB would be swell. I plan to use this to run Windows lickety-split -- all my day-to-day operations.

8) DISC DRIVE: Something fast and reliable. Ideally it could both read and burn CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays.

9) POWER SUPPLY: The best and the QUIETEST you can give me.

10) MONITOR: The display you'd recommend given all the other parts you recommended above.

I'll name the rig after you if it works! I'm really hoping somebody will help fill in the blanks above with very specific, very detailed parts I can find online. I will then try to find said parts at the best prices... order them... and then have a local computer expert assemble it.

Twig

Banned
Hello this thread of PC enthusiasts: I currently have an nVidia 8800GTS that I would like to replace and upgrade.

My current rig is... this: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/P...hListNumber=9364128&WishListTitle=Final+Build

Surprised that hasn't been deleted, yet. x:

I had a friend put that list together for me. I've since replaced the IDE hard drive with a SATA hard drive and tossed one stick of RAM. After months of not knowing what the problem was, despite running mem tests more than once, it finally failed on one stick repeatedly and I haven't had problems since. I even moved the sticks around to check if it was the motherboard RAM slots! But nevermind, that's not why I'm here.

Anyway, I'm considering getting more RAM as well (ONLY THREE GIGS??), but mostly I'd just like to replace the video card. I'm eyeing a 6870. Yes/No? Suggestions on anything I should replace before the video card? Will it be held back by some of those other parts?

Thanks!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Neiteio said:
Hi everyone:

What is the item you'd recommend for each of the following categories (I believe these are all the categories there are to a computer)? If you can please be very specific, right down to the brand for each version, that would be HUGELY appreciated.

Let's fill in the blanks -- you may be the difference in whether I ever get a PC with some power! And don't worry about price for now, though $1,500 or below would be the sweet spot...

THE CATEGORIES:

1) CASE: I need something with a fan pre-installed that will keep its cool, stay quiet and contain all the parts you recommend for the below...

4) GRAPHICS CARD: Something that can run Amnesia: The Dark Descent, both BioShock games, both Left 4 Dead games, The Orange Box, Portal 2, Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition, Crysis, etc, at high settings and silky smooth framerates without breaking a sweat.

6) HDD: At least 1TB. I will set up partitions on it and use the HDD for multimedia storage -- pictures, music, video, etc. I hear this works well.

7) SSD: At least 60 GB, though 80 GB would be swell. I plan to use this to run Windows lickety-split -- all my day-to-day operations.

8) DISC DRIVE: Something fast and reliable. Ideally it could both read and burn CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays.

10) MONITOR: The display you'd recommend given all the other parts you recommended above.

I'll name the rig after you if it works! I'm really hoping somebody will help fill in the blanks above with very specific, very detailed parts I can find online. I will then try to find said parts at the best prices... order them... and then have a local computer expert assemble it.

Are you in the USA? Are you going to build this PC yourself? Have you built a PC before?

Fredescu

Twig said:
Anyway, I'm considering getting more RAM as well (ONLY THREE GIGS??), but mostly I'd just like to replace the video card. I'm eyeing a 6870. Yes/No? Suggestions on anything I should replace before the video card? Will it be held back by some of those other parts?
Any particular budget for the card? That PSU gives you a bunch of different options. The 6870 is fine. If you don't mind waiting until next week, the GTX560 should be out then and it may or may not be an excellent option at that same price too.

As for the rest, is your Q6600 at stock? If so you could grab a cooler and bump it up to 3Ghz+ and you should be fine CPU wise for a while.

Neiteio said:
Hi everyone:

THE CATEGORIES:

Dude, read the OP.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Neiteio said:
Hi everyone:

Given the fact that you're going to have a local computer expert assemble it, I would suggest this:

1.) Buy a decent factory-assembled gaming pc with standard parts.

or

2.) Learn how to build it yourself (this is assuming the computer expert is going to commit highway robbery).

Fredescu

Chiggs said:
1.) Buy a decent factory-assembled gaming pc with standard parts.
They're always terrible value though. Isn't there some online store in the US that assembles for $50? That seems decent to me. He's going to be paying a much bigger premium for a Dell or whatever, and end up with something difficult to upgrade.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Fredescu said:
They're always terrible value though. Isn't there some online store in the US that assembles for $50? That seems decent to me. He's going to be paying a much bigger premium for a Dell or whatever, and end up with something difficult to upgrade.

Isn't that NCIX? Thought that was Canada.

Anyway, these guys aren't too bad...I think. All standard parts and lots of configurations.

http://www.ibuypower.com/

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

TheKurgan

Most of my new PC has arrived from NCIX - still waiting for the power supply and thermal paste =(

This has given me some time to think about mclaren777 question on fans with the ASUS P8P67 motherboard. How do you set up a push pull system on the CPU heatsink with only one CPU Fan connector? Also if I plan on running 4 case fans (Coolmaster 690II Advanced Case) and 2 CPU heatsink fans, which ones should I connect to the motherboard and which ones should I hook up to the powersupply directly?

ZZMitch

Chiggs said:
That's not too bad of a deal at all. How does all the shipping work? What did it amount to?

I remember it being pretty expensive, but haven't bought and had a whole PC shipped to me before (in parts or as a whole) so I didn't know what to expect really.It also had to be shipped across the country so that probably increased the shipping price a bit. They ship you all the boxes in one large box, and the PC comes in the case box with a bunch of things cushioning it etc.

Twig

Banned
Fredescu said:
Any particular budget for the card? That PSU gives you a bunch of different options. The 6870 is fine. If you don't mind waiting until next week, the GTX560 should be out then and it may or may not be an excellent option at that same price too.

As for the rest, is your Q6600 at stock? If so you could grab a cooler and bump it up to 3Ghz+ and you should be fine CPU wise for a while.
My budget is, well, about the current price of a 6870, heh. I see $220 on Newegg with mail-in rebate. Don't wanna go much higher. It's been a while since I bought my current rig, but I'm still not willing to dish out too much money for an upgrade. Poor grad student, etc.

Is the GTX560 the nVidia equivalent or is it just straight up better?

Q6600 is... at stock, I believe. I assume I could find out by checking the BIOS? How much would a cooler cost, and how easy are they to install? I put this computer together myself, but I'm still wary of taking it apart as I can be extremely clumsy sometimes. U:

AkIRA_22

Shaneus said:

lGFwD.png

ahhhh MSY, nothing equals their low, low customer service. on that list the samsung f3 is the fastest. I don't think there is a 2TB version of the F3 yet.

Shaneus

knitoe said:
That would be Raptors, but at their price, might as well go SSD for OS & Storage setup. Otherwise, go with a WD Black.
Looks like the Blacks go for around twice the price of a regular drive. Think I might just settle for a semi-decent performing cheapie instead.

Edit: Any reports on what the Seagate SATA3 drives are like? Seem pretty cheap for the interface they have... though whether it actually reaches beyond SATAII speeds to warrant an upgrade is another story.

Edit #2: Looks like nothing comes close to matching SATA 3 speeds so it's not worth considering the extra cost. Cool.

Fredescu

Twig said:
We don't know much other than rumours at the moment, but it's supposed to have performance similar to the 6950 but be more around the 6870 price wise. It might not work out like that, but we should know it all next week. Might be worth the wait if that's you're budget. It might even cause a mild price shakeup too, since everything is just nicely arranged bang for buck wise in video card land at the moment.

Twig said:
Q6600 is... at stock, I believe. I assume I could find out by checking the BIOS? How much would a cooler cost, and how easy are they to install? I put this computer together myself, but I'm still wary of taking it apart as I can be extremely clumsy sometimes. U:
Yeah you could find out in the BIOS, or by downloading CPU-Z or something like that.

To be honest they can be a complete bitch to install :lol . Especially the Intel pushpin ones. I've had some go right in, but I've had others that felt like I was going to break the motherboard to get it in. I mean, a custom cooler and a mild overclock is going to give you a decent boost and probably let you keep your CPU running the best games for a good while, but it's nothing like slotting in a graphics card. You might even have to remove your motherboard to put a backing plate on if you don't have access to the back of your motherboard through the case.

Anyway, the PC-GAF cooler of choice is the Hyper 212+ (edit: oh hey there's a sweet installation video on that page too) and it's only $30. I don't know if you need to buy thermal paste too or if it comes with some, maybe someone can chime in because every other person on GAF has one. If you're willing to risk some potential pain, that's only $35 for a decent upgrade if you can get to the 3Ghz mark.

Wallach

Twig said:
My budget is, well, about the current price of a 6870, heh. I see $220 on Newegg with mail-in rebate. Don't wanna go much higher. It's been a while since I bought my current rig, but I'm still not willing to dish out too much money for an upgrade. Poor grad student, etc.

Personally I would wait because it should be known very soon (about a week) where the 560 is going to land price-wise. In terms of performance it's supposed to be very close to the 6950, though the 6950 is a bit supposed to see some nice increases from the 11.1 drivers also due out this month. If the 560 comes in low enough it will be a good buy, but if it comes in at near the 6950s price range it will likely be out of your proposed budget.

Neiteio

godhandiscen said:
Ok, here is my list for Neiteio

1) CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 912

2) MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8P67 EVO LGA 1155 Intel P67

3) PROCESSOR (CPU): Intel Core i5-2500K

4) GRAPHICS CARD: ASUS EAH6970

5) RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

6) HDD: SAMSUNG F3 1TB

7) SSD: Ask someone else.

8) DISC DRIVE: ask someone else

9) POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

10) MONITOR: SAMSUNG P2770FH ToC Rose Black 27" 1ms Full HD

edit: Fixed the RAM choice.
Wow -- THANK YOU godhandiscen (and Metalic Sand, too)! This gives me a VERY good starting point. I now just need a recommendation for a SSD and a disc drive, and then I can check over the (by that point $1,500+) price tag and consider my options from there.

So I take it this could run Amnesia: The Dark Descent at top settings without any problems?

Shaneus

Update: Think I'm gonna take the plunge on the Samsung F4EG, but it's one of those 4k sector-based drives so I'm gonna do more research with how they RAID first before finalising anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
Here was my option for Neiteio:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 or CM 690 II Advanced - $90
Motherboard: Gigabyte P67 UD3 - $130
CPU: i5 2500K - $220
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ - $30
GPU: 6850 or GTX 460 - $180
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1333 - $80
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 or Crucial C300 60/64GB - $120
HDD: 2x 1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM - $140
Disc Drive: Any Blu-Ray reader - $80
PSU: Corsair 650TX - $90
Monitor: Asus VW246H - $220

Total: $1480

If you don't need 2TB, then cut back one of the HDDs. If you want to spend a little more, then you can bring the GPU up to a 6950/6970 or GTX 570.

Going to those higher GPUs will increase your noise considerably under load, however. Under idle conditions, they'll be quiet, but under load, something like the Gigabyte 6850 would be much, much quieter. If noise is a prime concern, then keep that in mind.

Neiteio said:
So I take it this could run Amnesia: The Dark Descent at top settings without any problems?

Very easily.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Fredescu said:
Anyway, the PC-GAF cooler of choice is the Hyper 212+ (edit: oh hey there's a sweet installation video on that page too) and it's only $30. I don't know if you need to buy thermal paste too or if it comes with some, maybe someone can chime in because every other person on GAF has one. If you're willing to risk some potential pain, that's only $35 for a decent upgrade if you can get to the 3Ghz mark.
It comes with a tube of thermal paste, I followed another GAFfer's suggestion earlier to put thin lines between each of the pipes and it's worked swimmingly.

mclaren777

godhandiscen said:
Ok, here is my list for Neiteio

STUFF
STUFF
STUFF
That is almost identical to what I just built. Apart from the GPU and other minor tweaks, that's almost exactly my new rig.

In fact, if you combine your suggestion with TheExodu5's, that would pretty much be it to a T.

mclaren777

knitoe said:
What's everyone's 24/7 sand bridge speeds?
I haven't decided what my plan is yet because I'm still a little confused by OCing with Sandy Bridge. This is my current understanding of it...

A stock 2600K will run at 1.6GHz when idle and 3.4GHz under load, but it can also jump up to 3.8GHz in Turbo Mode when some (currently unknown) amount of additional load is placed on it. So effectively it can scale from any value between 1.6GHz and 3.8GHz depending on load, and it falls out of Turbo Mode when it reaches a set thermal limit.

When you OC using just the Multiplier, you are only raising the maximum ceiling in Turbo Mode. Otherwise it still runs at 1.6GHz when idle and 3.4GHz under load. OCing with just the Multiplier does increase the maximum Turbo speed, but it also decreases the time until thermal limit is reached, at which point it'll fall back to 3.4GHz.

Is that correct?

TheExodu5

Banned
Wallach said:
I dunno man. Actually maxed out Amnesia is really stupid because of the SSAO settings. My 5850 would get blown up hard with that cranked.

Well that's just if you run with 128 SSAO samples...but don't do that. You can run with 4 SSAO samples, and you absolutely will not notice the difference. It's kind of stupid that they allow you to turn up the setting that high. It's basically like comparing 128x AA to 4x AA.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
Well that's just if you run with 128 SSAO samples...but don't do that. You can run with 4 SSAO samples, and you absolutely will not notice the difference. It's kind of stupid that they allow you to turn up the setting that high. It's basically like comparing 128x AA to 4x AA.

Yeah, I just wanted to put an asterisk there in case he actually just dropped into settings and maxed everything. It will wreck shit.

Honestly the only thing I'd change is the GPU. If you're going $1,500 deep I would probably drop a 6950 in there.

Jin34

So before replacing my mobo I was trying to make absolutely sure that it was the cause of the problem so I decided to remove the catalyst 10.12 that seems to have problems to make sure its not adding another problem to the mix. Except when I tried to unistall the catalyst install manager crashed. And now when I try to put new drivers it just keeps crashing and crashing when it tries to install them. Heres the error:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: InstallManagerApp.exe
Application Version: 3.0.800.0
Application Timestamp: 4cc78dc0
Fault Module Name: MFC80U.DLL
Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.1833
Fault Module Timestamp: 482bb4a2
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000000854ee
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2a81
Additional Information 2: 2a81cbaea89bd5754e854ae615f08673
Additional Information 3: eb3c
Additional Information 4: eb3cdf3a00cab301bdd8944025b0d3e2

I have tried various versions and even the latest beta drivers and they all have the same problem. This is the first time this has ever happened.

Raistlin

A question to those with a fair amount of experience employing multiple high-resolution monitors ... just how much would I be giving up going with 1680x1050 versus 1080p, 1920x1200, or higher?

I plan to employ 3 monitors, so with that much real estate I should be golden even with the limited (5040x1050) resolution?

Neiteio

TheExodu5 said:
Going to those higher GPUs will increase your noise considerably under load, however. Under idle conditions, they'll be quiet, but under load, something like the Gigabyte 6850 would be much, much quieter. If noise is a prime concern, then keep that in mind.
Exodus, thank you so much for the advice. :) What's the trade-off in power if one opts for the quieter Gigabyte 6850? And what constitutes a "load?" Like what games under what settings would cause a given graphics card to start making noise?

Some other questions:

- Where did you get your prices, Exodus?

- What's the difference between the motherboard you recommended (Gigabyte P67 UD3) and the one godhandiscen recommended (ASUS P8P67 EVO LGA 1155 Intel P67)?

- What's the difference between the RAM you recommended (G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1333) and the one godhandiscen recommended (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB)?

- What's the difference between the power supply you recommended (Corsair 650TX) and the one godhandiscen recommended (CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX)?

- When you recommended "any Blu-ray player" for the disc drive, does this mean any Blu-ray player can also write CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays? I'd like to at least be able to burn CDs and DVDs... The ability to burn Blu-rays would be cool as well, since I have a PS3 that can play them on the HDTV.

- What's a "heatsink?" And are there any items that could further increase cooling and reduce noise?

I do think I'll opt for the monitor Exodus recommended, as I think it'll fit my desk better in terms of space.

Wallach said:
Honestly the only thing I'd change is the GPU. If you're going $1,500 deep I would probably drop a 6950 in there.
Exodus said that if I wanted to spend more, I should consider either the 6950, the 6970 or the GTX 570. Which one would be best, and for how much money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom