• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Max

Last week after the haswell launch I "completed" (that's what I keep telling myself) my build. Took some shaky cam pics afterwards:

ykl83vT.jpg

9xIMPcb.jpg

WpyvgrV.jpg

NBAxh4U.jpg

hQESa5G.jpg

Final specs:
4670K @ 4.5GHz (clocked it down a little for 24/7 operation)
HD7950 @ 1200/1600MHz
Gigabyte Z87X UD4H
12GB 1333MHz Ram (The cheapest stuff I could find 3 years back)
Samsung 830 128GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair TX650
Fractal Arc Midi R2

Cooling stuff:

CPU: EK Supremacy Cu+Acetal
GPU: EK FC7950 Cu+Acetal
Pump: Laing D5
Rads: EK 360XT (in the top); Alphacool ut60 240mm in the front
Res: XSPC restop for D5
Fittings/connectors: 1/2"ID barbs: A few things by bitspower, most others by alphacool. (will probably replace everything by bitspower at some point but that shit's expensive)
Tubing: Feser Black UV reactive 1/2"ID 3/4"OD
Fans: 5xScythe GT AP15

I bought a GTX 770 yesterday! I finally upgraded my card after about 4 months of nearly buying about 12 different kinds of them. Anyways, it's my first upgrade in this PC I've built. Coming from a GTX 465. So I can just swap the cards out and turn the machine back on and everything will work appropriately?

LOL! Which cards did you try out in that 4 months span?

So I just finished my FIRST BUILD EVER! And what a great feeling it was to hit that power button and have everything turn on and work! Feels really good, and overall not nearly as hard as I thought it would be! Thanks for the help in here ( had some trouble with video for a quick second lol) much appreciated.

Since this was a build as a gift for my father, I can't wait to so it again once I am ready to upgrade!

Congrats. It is a good feeling....

Pics!!

kharma45

Last week after the haswell launch I "completed" (that's what I keep telling myself) my build. Took some shaky cam pics afterwards:

http://i.imgur.com/ykl83vT.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9xIMPcb.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WpyvgrV.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NBAxh4U.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hQESa5G.jpg[IMG]

Final specs:
HD7950 @ 1200/1600MHz
Gigabyte Z87X UD4H
Samsung 830 128GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair TX650

Cooling stuff:

Fittings/connectors: 1/2"ID barbs: A few things by bitspower, most others by alphacool. (will probably replace everything by bitspower at some point but that shit's expensive)
Fans: 5xScythe GT AP15[/QUOTE]

Give us some long range pics too :P I want more than just close ups!

So I just finished my FIRST BUILD EVER! And what a great feeling it was to hit that power button and have everything turn on and work! Feels really good, and overall not nearly as hard as I thought it would be! Thanks for the help in here ( had some trouble with video for a quick second lol) much appreciated.

Since this was a build as a gift for my father, I can't wait to so it again once I am ready to upgrade!

Congratulations! I built my first in 2011. There is a sense of accomplishment, especially with your first build.

kharma45

I see Sapphire posting on Facebook that 'Battlefield 4 will be exclusively optimized for AMD Radeon GPUs, AMD A-Series APUs and AMD FX CPUs.' Should be a highly threaded game then you'd expect.

Those are all good parts. I'd run memtest / OCCT for a few minutes, check SSD Health, HDD SMART.
If a new rig is that much, might as well go that route.

Thank you kindly. I pulled the trigger and bought the rig the other day. I haven't had time to test anything too intensively; I did install Bioshock Infinite and Crysis.

This is my first proper desktop, actually. I've been gaming on my 2010 laptop for the past two and a half years. I've still got a lot to learn about desktops, but I've gotta say that it feels good to hit (and exceed) that 16.67 ms frametime again.

EDIT: Here's the rig on PCPartPicker; got the entire thing used for an equivalent of USD 1400.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15EFA

kharma45

Thank you kindly. I pulled the trigger and bought the rig the other day. I haven't had time to test anything too intensively; I did install Bioshock Infinite and Crysis.

This is my first proper desktop, actually. I've been gaming on my 2010 laptop for the past two and a half years. I've still got a lot to learn about desktops, but I've gotta say that it feels good to hit (and exceed) that 16.67 ms frametime again.

EDIT: Here's the rig on PCPartPicker; got the entire thing used for an equivalent of USD 1400.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15EFA

Very nice.

Double D

Looking to get a 770 myself!

1 question though: is it worth seeking out the 4GB version over the 2GB version? What are the advantages to the (seemingly) $100 difference?

My main set-up involves a 24-inch 1080p monitor alongside a smaller (TBD) monitor used for web browsing and streaming movies.

I'm no pro on the topic, but I just felt like coming from the 1GB 465, which was actually still doing an ok job by my standards, a 2GB 770 would be plenty. Honestly, I was waiting on the 4GB cards, but I got tired of waiting around.

I'm running at 1920x1200, and from wwhat I understand the performance difference between that and 1080 isn't a whole lot.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not usually a fan of these types of pics, but this one really got to me because I was thinking the same thing myself for the past few days.

God Damn eVGA at least le me pre order the Classified GTX 780!
No way. You'll be F5'ing till it's out.

Nice!

It is a scary proposition at first, but once you go through the motions, it turns out to be a lot easier than most folks imagine.

Final specs:
HD7950 @ 1200/1600MHz
Gigabyte Z87X UD4H
Samsung 830 128GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair TX650
Fractal Arc Midi R2

Cooling stuff:

Fans: 5xScythe GT AP15
Looks fanfuckingtastic.

Also, this is not completion. Only the beginning my friend.

Lunzio

I'm no pro on the topic, but I just felt like coming from the 1GB 465, which was actually still doing an ok job by my standards, a 2GB 770 would be plenty. Honestly, I was waiting on the 4GB cards, but I got tired of waiting around.

I'm running at 1920x1200, and from wwhat I understand the performance difference between that and 1080 isn't a whole lot.

Thank you so much for answering my question.

I was worried that with two monitors (only using one for gaming) that the 2GB limit would be hit.

Dave_6

I'm not usually a fan of these types of pics, but this one really got to me because I was thinking the same thing myself for the past few days.

Lol! That is funny even though I preordered a PS4 already (love me some Playstation!).

I have been playing both of the Arkham games on my new PC (maxed out except for Physx since im using a 7970) and I am amazed at how good they look at 1080p60. I have already beaten them twice on my 360.

bro1

Banned
Looking to get a 770 myself!

1 question though: is it worth seeking out the 4GB version over the 2GB version? What are the advantages to the (seemingly) $100 difference?

My main set-up involves a 24-inch 1080p monitor alongside a smaller (TBD) monitor used for web browsing and streaming movies.

I bought the 2gb version and I kinda wish I got the 4gb version. However, I tend to updgrade constantly and will probably sell this next year when the 800 series comes out.

Also, did anybody see ANY game at E3 that WONT play on current GPUs because I sure as hell didn't.

Have you bought the stuff already?

Change the motherboard to MSI GD55 or 65.

The graphics card should be okay for now as long as you are not expecting to play with everything set to max 1080p and getting 60fps.

The only things I've bought (and subsequently stockpiled in my room) are the RAM, case, and hard drive.

Like I said I can always either crossfire (should be better in 4-5 years, right?) or grab a monster nvidia/AMD card in the future. I would like to match at least console quality.

I think I screwed a friend out of $300+

:|

I approved a motherboard and CPU without paying close attention to the socket types and turns out they're different (mobo is 1155, CPU is 2011). And now I find out newegg has exactly ZERO return policies on either. They're completely unopened but the return policy says "lolol".

Christ, dunno what to do here. I'm a complete loss of words how I failed to check the socket types. What in the goddamn hell. I also don't know how the fuck they don't take 100% unopened products, but ultimately the blame lies with me.

I approved a motherboard and CPU without paying close attention to the socket types and turns out they're different (mobo is 115, CPU is 2011). And now I find out newegg has exactly ZERO return policies on either. They're completely unopened but the return policy says "lolol".

Christ, dunno what to do here. I'm a complete loss of words how I failed to check the socket types. What in the goddamn hell. I also don't know how the fuck they don't take 100% unopened products, but ultimately the blame lies with me.
Wow! That is completely illegal in Europe, over here you have a non questions asked 7 day window after delivery to return anything you buy online.

mkenyon

Banned

I approved a motherboard and CPU without paying close attention to the socket types and turns out they're different (mobo is 1155, CPU is 2011). And now I find out newegg has exactly ZERO return policies on either. They're completely unopened but the return policy says "lolol".

Damn. Are you serious? I'd try contacting customer support and say that the products are incompatible, and be really nice about it.

If so, there's another reason to buy from Amazon instead.
Remind me again why there is no 4GB or higher GTX780?
So forum warriors can claim that it's half as good as PS4's 8GB GDDR5.

In all seriousness, maybe it has to do with the specific parts of the chip it had to disable?

demented

Was playing Hitman Absolution and alt tabbed to msi afterburner and noticed that my card was at 80c with with fan at 80% (1c=1% fan curve), 7970 is what I have and not overclocked beside stock OC that it came with. Is this too much? Add onto it the problem with flickering I have and it doesn't sound good -_-
really thinking about RMAing it now.

Damn. Are you serious? I'd try contacting customer support and say that the products are incompatible, and be really nice about it.

If so, there's another reason to buy from Amazon instead.

So forum warriors can claim that it's half as good as PS4's 8GB GDDR5.

In all seriousness, maybe it has to do with the specific parts of the chip it had to disable?
It would be too close to the Titan that way, no 6GB cards is purely a strategic move.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

HoosTrax

NewEgg has really been slipping. For a lot of things, I can find it for cheaper at Microcenter -- CPUs, cases, and motherboards in particular. For other stuff, they're about the same price.

I really hate how they list s&h separately from the price. Just add those two together to make my life easier please -- I know it probably casts your prices in an even worse light.

I wonder if all that would have happened if they had just stayed true to their bread and butter, instead of trying to branch out into everything under the sun.

PC GAF,

What do you guys think of my projected build so far? I'd love some feedback. $1,500(USD) is my budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.12 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.21 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1541.76

Some questions.....

--Should I go with a 770 instead of the 7970 GHZ edition?

--Will a dedicated sound card be worth the $60-$100 investment? I already own V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Besides the 8gig difference, how do these SSD's compare against each other?

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive MZ-7PD128BW $134.49 & Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TD120BW $98.71

Double D

So the 770 I bought yesterday from Newegg has been sitting at 'Packaging' status since last night. I picked 3 day shipping hoping I'd get it by this weekend. Anyone have a similar experience? Think it'll ship out today?

HoosTrax

So the 770 I bought yesterday from Newegg has been sitting at 'Packaging' status since last night. I picked 3 day shipping hoping I'd get it by this weekend. Anyone have a similar experience? Think it'll ship out today?
If you order after a certain time (it might be 3pm PST or EST), then it won't ship on that same day.

mkenyon

Banned
PC GAF,

What do you guys think of my projected build so far? I'd love some feedback. $1,500(USD) is my budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.12 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.21 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1541.76

Some questions.....

--Should I go with a 770 instead of the 7970 GHZ edition?

--Will a dedicated sound card be worth the $60-$100 investment? I already own V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Besides the 8gig difference, how do these SSD's compare against each other?

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive MZ-7PD128BW $134.49 & Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TD120BW $98.71
Solid, but you are overspending big time on the PSU. That's best fitted for a high end enthusiast machine with SLI Titans out of the gate. Go down to a good 550/650W PSU.

16GB of memory is still silly IMO. 8GB is already overkill, 16GB is suited more for multimedia workstations.

I still prefer the 7970 over the 680/770 honestly. You'll end up upgrading either at the same time, but I really think the 7970 will stay a bit stronger a bit longer.

The differences between the SSDs listed is the type of memory used for storage. The standard 840 is written to 3 times per cell, and the 840 Pro is written to twice per cell. The former ends up dying earlier. Expect about a 3-5 year lifespan on a standard 840 120GB. The 840 240GB will be around 5-7 years.

With money saved on the PSU and memory, I'd look at getting the ASUS 144Hz monitor.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
My computer keeps restarting in the middle of games :/

Upon restart, it sends it is sending out a report regarding

/app data/local/temp
and Windows/MEMORY.DMP

hmmm

This killed my Q6600 rig from 07.......first gpu dies...power supply dead, smoke from motherboard....shorts out my dvd burner.....only the cpu and hard drive are unharmed.
was planning on getting a gtx 680 soon.....buying a ps4 and a mid range laptop now

Damn I'm gonna miss that good old Core2Quad

That is very scary to read that this is happening to people.

Solid, but you are overspending big time on the PSU. That's best fitted for a high end enthusiast machine with SLI Titans out of the gate. Go down to a good 550/650W PSU.

16GB of memory is still silly IMO. 8GB is already overkill, 16GB is suited more for multimedia workstations.

I still prefer the 7970 over the 680/770 honestly. You'll end up upgrading either at the same time, but I really think the 7970 will stay a bit stronger a bit longer.

The differences between the SSDs listed is the type of memory used for storage. The standard 840 is written to 3 times per cell, and the 840 Pro is written to twice per cell. The former ends up dying earlier. Expect about a 3-5 year lifespan on a standard 840 120GB. The 840 240GB will be around 5-7 years.

With money saved on the PSU and memory, I'd look at getting the ASUS 144Hz monitor.

WOW! Thanks for the great advice!

I'll stick with the 7790 and look for a more practical PSU.

EDIT: What if I decide to run SLI/Crossfire in the future? What PSU would you recommend?

Any feedback about getting a dedicated sound card vs onboard mobo?

mkenyon

Banned
Oh yes, was gonna say something but spaced.

Do you have a DAC/amp? If not, then yeah, you'll want a dedicated sound card. If so, stick with what you have.

SoundBlaster Z if you want virtual surround. Otherwise, probably something like the Schiit Magni/Modi stack if you just want quality sound.

Mr. Hyde

DVD drive is probably droppable, when are you really going to use it? That PSU is mediocre, swap it to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119&Tpk=seasonic g 550&IsVirtualParent=1

Swap the 660 Ti for a 7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003 It's a better card and has 4 free games.

I'd maybe look at the 3570K over the 4670K. It's not $40 better and the motherboards are cheaper for Z77. I can't see any reason that Haswell justifies its price over IB, unless you really want Last Light for free.

It's advisable too to shop around, even just using somewhere else like Amazon. It's not going to take long to make an account somewhere else and it'll save money. Do you have a Micro Center near you by any chance?

Thanks for the PSU tip. I'm more accustomed to Nvidia cards but I will look more into theone you showed me. Haswell with the combo + free 8 gigs of Corsair LP ram that comes with the mobo is cheaper than the 3570k/mobo I looked into. Alas, there are no Microcenters in Florida. However, I do have amazon prime and don't mind buying parts from them.

Mr. Hyde

This is about where I think I want to be. I might price check Amazon on some of these parts and pick up an SSD from them. I already have a new 1TB internal HDD to put into my PC.

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811352020
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$119.99
$109.99

MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814127741
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$399.99

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...
Item #: N82E16817151119
-$26.00 Instant
$105.99
$79.99

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M1A1600C10
Item #: N82E16820233309
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$62.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813131837
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$139.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
Item #: N82E16819116504
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$219.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116986
Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy
$99.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel ...
Item #: N82E16835103065
-$10.00 Instant
$5.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$34.99
$24.99

Total after $40.00 in promo codes:

$1,105.77

Lunzio

Hello, again everybody! I'm in the middle of building a new PC and have run into an interesting situation regarding video cards. I recently stumbled across my old XFX GeForce 8800GT.

I'll have a current GTX 770 in the build for sure, but was wondering if this 8800GT could be used in any fashion for a second monitor on the same mobo?

(betting that this is a dumb idea but you're all much more savvy when it comes to computers than I)

Addnan

Hello, again everybody! I'm in the middle of building a new PC and have run into an interesting situation regarding video cards. I recently stumbled across my old XFX GeForce 8800GT.

I'll have a current GTX 770 in the build for sure, but was wondering if this 8800GT could be used in any fashion for a second monitor on the same mobo?

(betting that this is a dumb idea but you're all much more savvy when it comes to computers than I)

Not really, but you can use up to 4 monitors from your 770, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you so much for answering my question.

I was worried that with two monitors (only using one for gaming) that the 2GB limit would be hit.

If the other screen is just running the desktop, you'll have no issue. We're talking about some number under 100MB (most likely way lower, this is arbitrary) of VRAM consumption on the second screen.

Lunzio

If the other screen is just running the desktop, you'll have no issue. We're talking about some number under 100MB (most likely way lower, this is arbitrary) of VRAM consumption on the second screen.

Not really, but you can use up to 4 monitors from your 770, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Both of you are awesome! Thanks for the assistance here. It's been more than 7 years since I built a PC

Mr. Hyde

Is 4.0ghz-4.2ghz plausible with a i5-4670k running a Hyper 212 Plus/EVO? I am not a hardcore overclocker, so I don't care much about pushing it far past 4.0ghz. If it runs dolphin decently, I will be happy.

Tantalus

Neo Member
Hi there PC GAF.

Thinking about building a machine over the summer to get into PC gaming and to bring with me to University next year. Here's what I'm looking at right now, I'm hoping it's at least somewhat capable for gaming.

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard - £82

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k - £164

GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660 (2GB) - £150

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - £53

PSU: OCZ OCZ-CXS500W-UK CoreXStream (500W) (might have cheaped out a little here, not sure if this is a reasonable PSU or not) - £32

HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB - £51

Case: Bitfenix Outlaw - £40

Monitor: ASUS VE247H - £142

Total: £716

Thoughts? Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget and anything over £650 - £700 is getting a little unreasonable right now so I'm looking for ways to cut the cost down slightly. I'm also hoping that everything on there is actually compatible, I haven't had time to sit down and closely examine to make sure of that yet although I definitely will do that before purchasing anything. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom