• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn6661

Hi there PC GAF.

Thinking about building a machine over the summer to get into PC gaming and to bring with me to University next year. Here's what I'm looking at right now, I'm hoping it's at least somewhat capable for gaming.

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard - £82

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k - £164

GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660 (2GB) - £150

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - £53

PSU: OCZ OCZ-CXS500W-UK CoreXStream (500W) (might have cheaped out a little here, not sure if this is a reasonable PSU or not) - £32

HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB - £51

Case: Bitfenix Outlaw - £40

Monitor: ASUS VE247H - £142

Total: £716

Thoughts? Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget and anything over £650 - £700 is getting a little unreasonable right now so I'm looking for ways to cut the cost down slightly. I'm also hoping that everything on there is actually compatible, I haven't had time to sit down and closely examine to make sure of that yet although I definitely will do that before purchasing anything. Thanks!

Dont get a OCZ PSU they re not very good, get a Seasonic S12II-520 520W instead (i know, its twice the price...)

Also do not get a WD Green, its the slow ones, get a WD caviar black or a Seagate Barracuda.

U can get cheaper RAM here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006YG94Y2/

mkenyon

Banned
preordered a ps4... but am quite curious how multiplat games will compare to my current pc rig

(3570k, 16gb ram, 7870xt)
Pretty similar, though your system will be able to run most of thost E3 multiplat games at 1080p with 16.7ms frame times fairly easily. Comparing raw power versus raw power, your system definitely had the edge, especially in the CPU department.

kharma45

It isn't built yet but my final build can be viewed here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15FC7

Change that mobo to the UD3H or GD55. Go for low profile RAM.

PC GAF,

What do you guys think of my projected build so far? I'd love some feedback. $1,500(USD) is my budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.12 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.21 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1541.76

Some questions.....

--Should I go with a 770 instead of the 7970 GHZ edition?

--Will a dedicated sound card be worth the $60-$100 investment? I already own V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Besides the 8gig difference, how do these SSD's compare against each other?

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive MZ-7PD128BW $134.49 & Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TD120BW $98.71

840 Pro is faster with a longer lifespan. The speed you won't notice in day to day work. What I'd do is get the 250GB 840, same price as a 128GB Pro roughly.

Swap to 8GB of RAM instead. Consider swapping to this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Thanks for the PSU tip. I'm more accustomed to Nvidia cards but I will look more into theone you showed me. Haswell with the combo + free 8 gigs of Corsair LP ram that comes with the mobo is cheaper than the 3570k/mobo I looked into. Alas, there are no Microcenters in Florida. However, I do have amazon prime and don't mind buying parts from them.

If it's cheaper then go for it. As for the 7950 vs 660 Ti, have a read over this http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti-and-Radeon-HD-7950

Hi there PC GAF.

Thinking about building a machine over the summer to get into PC gaming and to bring with me to University next year. Here's what I'm looking at right now, I'm hoping it's at least somewhat capable for gaming.

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard - £82

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k - £164

GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660 (2GB) - £150

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - £53

PSU: OCZ OCZ-CXS500W-UK CoreXStream (500W) (might have cheaped out a little here, not sure if this is a reasonable PSU or not) - £32

HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB - £51

Case: Bitfenix Outlaw - £40

Monitor: ASUS VE247H - £142

Total: £716

Thoughts? Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget and anything over £650 - £700 is getting a little unreasonable right now so I'm looking for ways to cut the cost down slightly. I'm also hoping that everything on there is actually compatible, I haven't had time to sit down and closely examine to make sure of that yet although I definitely will do that before purchasing anything. Thanks!

Change that mobo to the MSI GD55. About £10 more but a lot, lot better. That OCZ PSU isn't great either, you'd be better off with this 450w XFX http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker Maplin do them for £35 if your local has stock http://www.maplin.co.uk/450w-xfx-pr...echnology-587552?c=AffilWin127079&t=216430611

Don't get a WD Green as your main drive, they're slow as fuck. Change to this http://www.dabs.com/products/wd-1tb...4_1371075688_6275373c063bbcdab7bdfdd73f6e9e86

I'd change that monitor to this LG IPS too http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F7GW2K/ It's an IPS rather than a TN. Would only go TN if you're going 120/144Hz.

Wow! That is completely illegal in Europe, over here you have a non questions asked 7 day window after delivery to return anything you buy online.

Damn. Are you serious? I'd try contacting customer support and say that the products are incompatible, and be really nice about it.

If so, there's another reason to buy from Amazon instead.

So forum warriors can claim that it's half as good as PS4's 8GB GDDR5.

In all seriousness, maybe it has to do with the specific parts of the chip it had to disable?

OK, false alarm! I instead called customer support by phone and they're issuing a refund, without a restocking fee either.

So heart attack averted. Whew.

Colin.

Just a reminder for the UK people ordering from Dabs, using the code PAYPAL20 will take £20 off any order over £200. Also, the combination of getting product links from WAE and putting them on Flubit has been a great combo. Saved me quite a bit so far.

Dont get a OCZ PSU they re not very good

I've had my 650w OCZ for quite a while now, and it had worked really well for me. So much so, I'm keeping it for my next build.

Ally1987

Just ordered my new gaming-pc. What do you guys think?

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB PhysX
- Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl
- Silver Power SP-S750 750W PSU
- Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor
- Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
- ASUS P9X79 LE, Socket-2011
- Crucial 16GB RAM DDR3 (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
- Samsung SSD 840 Series 250GB 2.5"
- WD Desktop Blue 500GB HDD
- Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB

News Bot

Banned
This killed my Q6600 rig from 07.......first gpu dies...power supply dead, smoke from motherboard....shorts out my dvd burner.....only the cpu and hard drive are unharmed.
was planning on getting a gtx 680 soon.....buying a ps4 and a mid range laptop now

Damn I'm gonna miss that good old Core2Quad

Haha jesus, could employ that fucking driver as a digital weapon of mass destruction.

Mr. Hyde

I bit the bullet and purchased my new PC parts. A combination of amazon and newegg:

SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply SSR-550RM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
DVD-ROM

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive MZ-7PD128BW

Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Black Pearl (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W)

MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card $399.99

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K $249.99

MSI Z87 MPOWER LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC Flagship High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Platform Intel Motherboard $234.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 (This came free with the motherboard)

This is my first pc in a few years. A big step up from, my now dead, old computer which was a Q6600 and a 8800 GTS.

kharma45

I bit the bullet and purchased my new PC parts. A combination of amazon and newegg:

SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply SSR-550RM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack
DVD-ROM

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive MZ-7PD128BW

Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Black Pearl (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W)

MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card $399.99

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K $249.99

MSI Z87 MPOWER LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC Flagship High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Platform Intel Motherboard $234.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 (This came free with the motherboard)

This is my first pc in a few years. A big step up from, my now dead, old computer which was a Q6600 and a 8800 GTS.

All quality components. Have fun putting it together and report back here with some photos for us to ogle at! :)

mkenyon

Banned
Just ordered my new gaming-pc. What do you guys think?

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB PhysX
- Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl
- Silver Power SP-S750 750W PSU
- Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor
- Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
- ASUS P9X79 LE, Socket-2011
- Crucial 16GB RAM DDR3 (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
- Samsung SSD 840 Series 250GB 2.5"
- WD Desktop Blue 500GB HDD
- Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB
Pretty solid, but you will want 4 sticks of ram for that Quad Channel motherboard. :p

Otherwise that is one serious powerhouse.

Mr. Hyde

All quality components. Have fun putting it together and report back here with some photos for us to ogle at! :)

I will. I hope it's smooth sailing. I hope the 120GB SSD is big enough. I was regretting it but I am installing Win 7 and only a couple of other things on it. If a game, I will uninstall after finishing it.

News Bot

Banned
G.Skill Ares just went out of stock on Amazon UK. Are there any good alternatives? I've checked out the Corsair Vengeance range but it's advertised as 1600Mhz despite actually being 1333Mhz (the former only with XMP).

kharma45

How do you know what's good and bad RAM. That's one thing I have known what to look for when recommended.

Is this any good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037TO5C0/

Brand can often be a factor as are timings, although I don't fully get them yet. Need to read more. Voltages too, that RAM you linked will only hit 1600MHz at 1.65v which is higher than you really should go with IB afaik, but good RAM (which Kingston is) should work still when you undervolt at those speeds, I just couldn't guarantee it.

This stuff here was phenomenal before the price shot up http://www.cclonline.com/product/84...800C11-1600MHz-30nm-Dual-Channel-Kit/RAM0612/

Addnan

Brand can often be a factor as are timings, although I don't fully get them yet. Need to read more. Voltages too, that RAM you linked will only hit 1600MHz at 1.65v which is higher than you really should go with IB afaik, but good RAM (which Kingston is) should work still when you undervolt at those speeds, I just couldn't guarantee it.

This stuff here was phenomenal before the price shot up http://www.cclonline.com/product/84...800C11-1600MHz-30nm-Dual-Channel-Kit/RAM0612/
Yeah, thats the stuff I have. Only bought it because everyone was telling me too. Was £38 when I ordered back in January. Wow the price has rocketed up.

kharma45

I got it at £43 and I'm glad I did. CCL and Overclockers are the only two places that I know of in the whole of the UK and the US that still has stock of it.

jiffy38

I said screw it and pulled the trigger on a MSI Z87-G45 and a 4770k.

I'm thinking of doing that paired with a 4gb 770. Just keep wondering if the i7 hyper threading is the safest bet for next gen gaming if its more widely used compared to the i5

falastini

Ok. This is what I'm considering. Long time since I've built a rig. Main focus will be for gaming 1080p. Coming from an old Duo E8400.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.22 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.23 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($171.70 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.21 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.18 @ Newegg)
Total: $920.52

I decided to carry over my optical drive and GPU (GTX 460). I wanna try to hold out until the new AMDs release this year or the Nvidia next year. My cpu has been holding me back for a while. That's the first priority.

A few questions...

- Any significant difference between the 212 Evo/Plus? The plus is a bit cheaper.
- What's the opinion on hyper-threading and gaming? Will it become more prevalent in the future? I don't use apps often enough that take advantage of hyper-threading, really. The only reason for the 3770 would be a kind of "future proof". Would the 3570 be a wiser choice?

Sanjay

Just a reminder for the UK people ordering from Dabs, using the code PAYPAL20 will take £20 off any order over £200. Also, the combination of getting product links from WAE and putting them on Flubit has been a great combo. Saved me quite a bit so far.

So to be clear, this WAE site is dodgy right?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I ordered a new gaming PC based on Haz's spreadsheet since I'm tired of buying overpriced gaming laptops.

I got:

MB :ASROCK|Z77 PRO4-M Z77 LGA1155 R
CPU :INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M R
GIFT NVIDIA METRO LAST LIGHT
MEM :4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
VGA :GIGABYTE|GV-N660OC-2GD GTX660 R
PSU :ANTEC|450W VP-450 RTL
CASE :BITFENIX BFC-SNB-150-KKN1-RP
HDD :WD Blue 1 TB

Hopefully I'll be able to join the modern era of gaming and not have to settle for medium/low 0xAA anymore.

Also, I don't know what the consensus is on processors is since I haven't been following the scene but is an AMD 6/8 core better or worse than a I5 or I7 quad?

Wallach

Fuck me, I forgot to order a new tube of thermal yesterday so even though my stuff shipped I'm going to be waiting on a fucking envelope before I can actually build.

Very nice.

Thanks! Most of the core components were the ones I had already been planning, and so it was extremely serendipitous that I found this rig for sale.

I'm pretty strapped for disposable cash for the month as a result, though I'm (oh man, PC gaming) already thinking of the next step. My planned rig was to use a 7970 instead of the 670. Should I sell the 670 and buy a 7970 or just wait for next year's GPUs? SLI in the future is also a possibility, but seems messy. I'm coming from an ATI Mobility 5650, and as silly as it sounds, I'm much more comfortable with something like RadeonPro as opposed to nVidia Inspector.

Or maybe I should take this as an opportunity to learn about nVidia and their featureset. Although the 320.18 WHQL issues did not make a very good first impression. Had to scrub it and go back to 314.22 (thanks, Hazaro!).

So I’m looking in buying a secondary HD and I’m trying to understand which Drive would be more beneficial for me. (I’m planning on using it to store all my games/Steam folder)

Either the Western Digital Blue 1 TB HD (WD10EZEX), or the Western Digital Black 1 TB HD (WD1002FAEX)?

Key differences between the WD Black and Blue drives are that the Blacks have lower seek times and offer faster reads and writes thanks to a on-board dual processor. The Blacks also tend to be of a higher quality and offer a 5 year warranty vs 3 years for the Blues.

The cache isn't a big deal anymore sine the SATA bus is than enough to keep up with data moves.

So for gaming, the WD Black is what you want if you want the most optimal performance. Also.... seeing how you mentioned Steam, you may want to opt for a 2TB drive instead ;)

Fuck me, I forgot to order a new tube of thermal yesterday so even though my stuff shipped I'm going to be waiting on a fucking envelope before I can actually build.

No Microcenter, Fry's or Compusa / Tigerdirect in the area?

so I installed windows 8 fine but it doesn't recognize my Ethernet adapter, tried putting in my bios disk but it doesn't recognize it, which is weird because if I put the windows disc it will recognize it. Ugh

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Key differences between the WD Black and Blue drives are that the Blacks have lower seek times and offer faster reads and writes thanks to a on-board dual processor. The Blacks also tend to be of a higher quality and offer a 5 year warranty vs 3 years for the Blues.

The cache isn't a big deal anymore sine the SATA bus is than enough to keep up with data moves.

So for gaming, the WD Black is what you want if you want the most optimal performance. Also.... seeing how you mentioned Steam, you may want to opt for a 2TB drive instead

Ah crud, Amazon already shipped my WD Blue 1TB.

Instro

So an odd issue, my monitor doesn't want to display an image when my PC boots up. I can get it to display if I hit the image source button, but otherwise it will stay in sleep mode. It's not a big issue atm since I am just setting up the BIOS before installing windows, perhaps it's because it's connected via HDMI?

God damn this new PC is quiet though, I would swear it isnt even on save for the lights. Also BIOS are so advanced and nice looking now lol.

edit

Yeah now that I'm in Windows, the monitor won't come out of sleep when I move my mouse around either. Weird.

double edit

Seems like one of the plugs was not in all the way, or it needed to be unplugged. Either way its fixed now.

Sober

God damn, EVGA finally came out with their 4GB model of the 770 but it's $510. I really thought it'd be only $50 more for the 4GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130925

Think I'm just going to settle for 2GB...
Dat price premium... might have to wait for some rebates to drop money on the 4GB model.

I don't remember if I asked it but if going Haswell, is there any way to know if I'm getting the new stepping that fixes the USB3.0 issues when they ship mid-July or would I have to wait longer for them to all leave the market? I'm considering waiting for that chipset revision.

Maladict

Neo Member
I'am about to order some parts for a new build but I wanted to check in with you guys to see if there's anything that should be switched out. I'am mainly going to use the computer for gaming and working in level editors.

I have a couple of questions though:

Is there any reason to choose 3770K instead of 4770K? I've been meaning to overclock the CPU and I know that there's some heating issues with Haswell. But should this effect someone that has very little overclocking experience (and probably won't go crazy with it)? Is the CM Seidon 120 XL a good choice for this? Any other reason why I should choose a 4770K over a 3770K?

I'am going to try and overclock the GPU and I'am not just sure what kind of PSU I will need for that. I'am farily certain a 750W should suffice.

From what I've read speeds over 1600 Mhz on RAM does't do much for most games but will it give a noticeable speed boost in other programs?

The specs:
G.Skill 8GB (2x4096MB) CL11 2133Mhz Ripjaws Gaming
1TB WD Caviar Blue
Samsung SSD Pro Basic 840-Series 256GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB SC ACX
be quiet! Dark Power Pro10 750W 80+ Gold Modular
Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHz (Haswell)
MSI Z87-GD45 GAMING ATX
CM Seidon 120 XL
Fractal Design Define R4

Tantalus

Neo Member
Dont get a OCZ PSU they re not very good, get a Seasonic S12II-520 520W instead (i know, its twice the price...)

Also do not get a WD Green, its the slow ones, get a WD caviar black or a Seagate Barracuda.

U can get cheaper RAM here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006YG94Y2/

Change that mobo to the MSI GD55. About £10 more but a lot, lot better. That OCZ PSU isn't great either, you'd be better off with this 450w XFX http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker Maplin do them for £35 if your local has stock http://www.maplin.co.uk/450w-xfx-pr...echnology-587552?c=AffilWin127079&t=216430611

Don't get a WD Green as your main drive, they're slow as fuck. Change to this http://www.dabs.com/products/wd-1tb...4_1371075688_6275373c063bbcdab7bdfdd73f6e9e86

I'd change that monitor to this LG IPS too http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F7GW2K/ It's an IPS rather than a TN. Would only go TN if you're going 120/144Hz.

I've been told not to cheap out on the PSU so I might just save up some extra money over the summer to make sure that I'm getting a good quality build. That monitor looks pretty slick too for quite a bit cheaper. Thanks for the help guys, it's been a long time since I've looked at PC components so I'm a little out of the loop haha.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm around again, yay.

Gonna update (remove) Haswell this week, shove it down into it's own section and sub in LGA 2011 for i7 price point and look over some other stuff (Like Monoprice monitor).

Nightz

Need some help. Built a new PC since my old one died on Friday. I pretty much just bought a new mobo and CPU, then reused all my other parts from my old PC. So here's what I have:

MSI Z77 MPOWER
i5 3570K
GTX 670

Everything works fine, got Windows installed, but for some reason my graphics card isn't being detected. Onboard video works, but I can't see my card in device manager. When I try to install the drivers from nvidia, it says that it can't find any compatible graphics hardware. The video card is powered and the fans are running, so I don't think it's a power issue. Any suggestions?

Edit: Going to bed but I'll check for responses in the morning.

Addnan

Need some help. Built a new PC since my old one died on Friday. I pretty much just bought a new mobo and CPU, then reused all my other parts from my old PC. So here's what I have:

MSI Z77 MPOWER
i5 3570K
GTX 670

Everything works fine, got Windows installed, but for some reason my graphics card isn't being detected. Onboard video works, but I can't see my card in device manager. When I try to install the drivers from nvidia, it says that it can't find any compatible graphics hardware. The video card is powered and the fans are running, so I don't think it's a power issue. Any suggestions?

Edit: Going to bed but I'll check for responses in the morning.
Did you plug your video cable into the graphics card?

News Bot

Banned
Just in case you don't see my edit, it's 1.65v according to Amazon. Probably could undervolt it to 1.5v, but it seems doing that drops you to 1333MHz :\ http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX18C9X3K2_8X.pdf

I'll see what else I can find.

Edit - There is this 1600MHz stuff at 1.5v http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Y4X9GK/

Just checked reviews and the HyperX do not run at 1600MHz either unless you up-volt to 1.65v. :( Would these ones be decent alternatives? £10 more but faster and more overclocking potential judging from reviews.

EDIT: Eh... apparently it depends on your system whether it runs at 1600MHz stock or not.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Interesting news courtesy of bit-tech: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/06/13/noctua-anc/1

Noctua has released a demonstration video of what it claims is the world's first CPU cooler to feature active noise cancellation, using technology it is developing in partnership with RotoSub.

Dubbed the ANC Project, the partnership between the two companies attempts to bring the same technology found in noise cancelling headphones to a heatsink and fan assembly. In headphones, a microphone picks up external noise, inverts the phase of the waveform and plays it back - resulting in the cancellation of external noise. Technically, not only is the noise still there but there's now equal and opposite new noise - but because the two waveforms are inversions of each other, the ear picks up little more than a slightly hissing silence.

Noctua's idea is to take a variant of this core concept, developed by RotoSub back in 2011 for use in fans, and integrate it into an upcoming CPU cooler. While not yet ready for release, the company has been showing off prototype models - and has now published a video that shows just what the system can do.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AikMzJc9gcY&feature=player_embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom