• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightz

Trace all your cables to make sure they are plugged in and secure. Unplug and plug them.
Turn off PC, PSU. Unplug GPU, PCIE power. Reimstall GPU. Power on PSU, wait 15s, turn on PC. Make sure monitor is on correct input

If that doesnt work, take only the parts you need to POST outside the case and test them.

Thanks, will give this a try when I get home. Stayed up until 2:30 trying to figure it out. Only got 3 hours of sleep and now I'm paying for it at work lol.

Forgot to quote this:

I didn't say go out and buy a Core2Duo or a Quad2Duo, I said it was enough for most games and that's the truth. There are still tons of games that take advantage of 2 threads let alone 4 threads.

I was making a observation of those vs the i5 that was in question, meaning that i5 will last a while just as those previous processors have / still do. As long as the processor is decent and doesn't bottleneck the gpu you can last quote some time. In retrospect a i5 can handle any video card on the market and hell even a Core2Duo or Quad2Duo can handle up to a GTX570 before it starts to bottleneck the card.

That's all I was saying.

demented

Here's pic of my case inside and from area where it's at. I know cables are mess but they're out of the way and ones inside I never look at and ones on outside I've been moving a lot so haven't gotten around to tidying up.

http://i.imgur.com/8OtasGo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wBZCeqC.jpg

Fan on heatsink blowing toward exhaust one on the back, ones on top aren't connected because they make weird noise and I'm not sure if I should have them on even. Soundcard is below graphics card and just noticed little thing that moved out of place next to it is dust guard.
Not sure what else I can do except fix top fans and turn them on if that will help. Graphics card has been going 40-50 idle and 80+ under load with fan speed matching the temp 1:1 so I don't know wtf to do anymore, even if I fix top and put bottom fan again I still feel that's a lot. Should I return the card? Got no other PC to test with..

P.S. Reducing voltage didn't do anything.

Akai__

CrazY CroaTia said:
Take drive out, plug into desktop.

Depends.

If the HD is dead, no.

If the HD still works, then plug it directly to a desktop SATA port or buy a USB SATA enclosure.

I thought it would be much more complicated. Thanks for the quick answers. :)

Well, it turns out, that this Laptop HDD has no connector for a SATA cable. It plugs directly into a connector, which has like 20 pins.

The USB adapter, desn't look like it will fit either.

What now?

Skilletor

Question for PC-Gaf:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a GTX770. Is it a bad idea to do that right now? I'm going to be buying a ps4. I have a GTX570 right now. Would this card (the 770) get me through the upcoming generation running games at 1080p/60fps, or should I wait a year?

Foxyone

Sorry for only asking question here: could someone tell me what's gonna be so great about Maxwell GPUs next year? I've heard of people saying they'll "hold off until Maxwell" for about half a year so far. And what about AMD?

scogoth

Sorry for only asking question here: could someone tell me what's gonna be so great about Maxwell GPUs next year? I've heard of people saying they'll "hold off until Maxwell" for about half a year so far. And what about AMD?

It a die shrink to 20nm so the performance per watt should be much much better. The current 700 series is just a re-branding of the 600 series with slightly higher clocks and the introduction of a cut down titan as the GTX780 but still keplar architecture.

In terms of performance there would be a slight difference, the plus however is the Seagate is an entire 1TB more, outweighing the slight performance dip that you wouldn't even notice.

Question for PC-Gaf:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a GTX770. Is it a bad idea to do that right now? I'm going to be buying a ps4. I have a GTX570 right now. Would this card (the 770) get me through the upcoming generation running games at 1080p/60fps, or should I wait a year?

Keep in the mind that the GTX770 is basically a rebadged GTX680 with a slight performance bump, you would see a difference in performance (35-45% maybe more) compared to the GTX570. Hell I'm getting a PS4 and I just upgraded to a GTX780.

Foxyone

It a die shrink to 20nm so the performance per watt should be much much better. The current 700 series is just a re-branding of the 600 series with slightly higher clocks and the introduction of a cut down titan as the GTX780 but still keplar architecture.

I've also heard that Maxwell could access system RAM. What's it gonna do with that though? Load small enough games all at once or something?

I don't think we use the term rubbing alcohol here, but I'm assuming Methylated Spirits are the same thing.

You're from Australia yeah? I use these Medi-Swab packs to clean thermal paste off heatsinks. They're basically lint-less swabs soaked in rubbing alcohol. You should find them at any chemist.

At my old workplace, we actually used meth spirits to clean heatsinks and processors. I have no idea if its good or bad but it worked OK as far as I know.

Tau

Guys I've got a Graphics Issue need help: My card is listed below:
GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II

when ever I play Battlefield 3 everything progressively goes crazy as in textures mess up and black shapes appear this has never happened before and not sure what it is? the GPU temp is around 38c. My driver is up-to-date also.

wanted to post a pic but no sure if I'm allowed.

Tau

Apparently the 320.18 drivers from Nvidia have been giving non-GTX700 series cards trouble. Roll back your drivers and it should be OK.

Thanks man, I had a hunch it maybe due to the new driver but over looked it, I'll roll back until further driver update is available.

Panzon

So now my bro is building a pc from scratch. It's mainly for gaming above all else, web surfing, pictures, movies, etc. I convinced him to let me ask you guys for a top notch build so he isn't gonna go crazy ordering parts until we have GAF's opinion.

He wants to build around a gtx 780 with an intel i7 3770k. The biggest dilemma we face is the monitor. We're both eye candy kind of guys but ive seen the difference with a 120hz monitor and I know it is night and day (although the colors aren't as nice). Do they have 27 in 1440p 120hz yet?

His budget is ~$2300 but I'll hook him up with whatevr extra he needs so its not really an issue. Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: Water cooling is a no no. We dont know how to mess with that stuff

demented

Well I just did OCCT test for half an hour and temperature was 90-95 degrees Celsius.. If that's not bad I don't know what is.

Also during CPU test my i5 3570k was under heavy load at ~70 temp, OCed from 3.4 to 3.8, is that a lot?

mkenyon

Banned
So now my bro is building a pc from scratch. It's mainly for gaming above all else, web surfing, pictures, movies, etc. I convinced him to let me ask you guys for a top notch build so he isn't gonna go crazy ordering parts until we have GAF's opinion.

He wants to build around a gtx 780 with an intel i7 3770k. The biggest dilemma we face is the monitor. We're both eye candy kind of guys but ive seen the difference with a 120hz monitor and I know it is night and day (although the colors aren't as nice). Do they have 27 in 1440p 120hz yet?

His budget is ~$2300 but I'll hook him up with whatevr extra he needs so its not really an issue. Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: Water cooling is a no no. We dont know how to mess with that stuff
Nope. It's a shame.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I've removed thermal paste with nail polish remover before. I'm sure it's awful because it has all kinds of added scents and leaves residue and whatnot, but it got the job done when I wasn't patient enough to wait another day. I don't OC though, so temperature is hardly a concern.

So you guys think this is a good choice. I want to upgrade my desktop.
And after some browsing the web i just want to get a new mobo and a Intel Core i5 3570K for now.

So anybody have experience with the MSI Z77A-G45 MOBO.

Chinbo37

So you guys think this is a good choice. I want to upgrade my desktop.
And after some browsing the web i just want to get a new mobo and a Intel Core i5 3570K for now.

So anybody have experience with the MSI Z77A-G45 MOBO.

I have the MSI z77 empower which I like a lot. Love DAT MSI bios.

HoosTrax

I've removed thermal paste with nail polish remover before. I'm sure it's awful because it has all kinds of added scents and leaves residue and whatnot, but it got the job done when I wasn't patient enough to wait another day. I don't OC though, so temperature is hardly a concern.
I worry about nail polish remover being caustic to the outer layer of PCBs, so I've never used it. I had a painted Gundam model once, and I dropped a part that I had mispainted into a jar of nail polish remover and it ended up melting some of the plastic as well, not just the paint.

mkenyon

Banned
acn_no_bk_med.jpg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010&Tpk=arcticlean&IsVirtualParent=1

Buy that if you plan on doing multiple builds or swap out heatsinks. It's worth its weight in gold.

Anyone with the fractal design r4, do you leave those padding things inside the case even though I am not putting a fan there?
Yeah, that's to reduce noise.

bro1

Banned
Guys I've got a Graphics Issue need help: My card is listed below:
GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II

when ever I play Battlefield 3 everything progressively goes crazy as in textures mess up and black shapes appear this has never happened before and not sure what it is? the GPU temp is around 38c. My driver is up-to-date also.

wanted to post a pic but no sure if I'm allowed.

It's a driver issue. You are not alone

Tak3n

Banned
I dont know who posted about using Flubit against WAE here in the UK....

ANyway they rejected it as WAE charge the lowest price and they can not beat it :(

bro1

Banned
Anybody have any luck overclocking their refresh rates on their monitor? I have a Samsung S27B350H and from the research I've done it should run at 75hz. Also, on AVS their is a thread about doing this with 120hz televeisons. According to the thread, some televisons can actually display a 120hz signal natively. Thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
Anybody have any luck overclocking their refresh rates on their monitor? I have a Samsung S27B350H and from the research I've done it should run at 75hz. Also, on AVS their is a thread about doing this with 120hz televeisons. According to the thread, some televisons can actually display a 120hz signal natively. Thoughts?
Impossible with HDMI bandwidth.

It might be displaying at 120hz, but content isn't being sent to the display at 120hz.

Akai__

CrazY CroaTia said:
Well, it turns out, that this Laptop HDD has no connector for a SATA cable. It plugs directly into a connector, which has like 20 pins.

The USB adapter, desn't look like it will fit either.

What now?

Anyone?

It's a pretty old Laptop and the HDD is a Samsung HM320JI.

Sober

Is there a write up on how different GPU coolers/fans from different companies work in one place without having to dig through a bunch of reviews? I'm interested to see what would be a good choice or what has a good pedigree on being quiet or good at cooling (or a good mix of both)

Pratfall

Quick question: I am currently running a 3750K and a GTX580 off a SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W power supply. I want to replace the 580 with a titan or 780 and I am wondering what sort of overclock I could expect to maintain with the new card in place and my current power supply.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone?

It's a pretty old Laptop and the HDD is a Samsung HM320JI.
That's called IDE.
Is there a write up on how different GPU coolers/fans from different companies work in one place without having to dig through a bunch of reviews? I'm interested to see what would be a good choice or what has a good pedigree on being quiet or good at cooling (or a good mix of both)
Nope.

Effectiveness at cooling is kind of tertiary at this point, because they all do a great job at that. Right now, EVGA's non-reference cooler seems to be the most quiet. ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI all offer great products that all perform really similar. Sapphire and PowerColor are good too.

The only ones that I get mixed reviews on are HIS and XFX.
Quick question: I am currently running a 3750K and a GTX580 off a SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W power supply. I want to replace the 580 with a titan or 780 and I am wondering what sort of overclock I could expect to maintain with the new card in place and my current power supply.
Total power draw will be around 300W non overclocked, about 350-400 overclocked to the brim.

Change that mobo to the UD3H or GD55. Go for low profile RAM.

I already bought regular sized RAM when it was cheap, so I guess I'm screwed on that part. Oh well, it'll just require a bit of extra effort in maneuvering pieces.

I did change the mobo to the MSI GD55 though, thanks for the suggestion.

I know everybody has been eagerly awaiting an update to my situation, but I think I may have solved my BF3 crashes. For whatever reason it seems to have been an issue with Adobe Flash and Firefox, and how that was integrating with the BF3 browser. During most of the crashes, but not all, I would get an 'Adobe Flash has stopped working' error in Firefox, but I was assuming that it was a symptom rather than the cause. I even reinstalled the latest version of Flash and it still did it. Then to try something different, I uninstalled Flash and reinstalled the Internet Explorer version of Flash (Active X) and started using IE to run the BF3 browser. I've now gone crash free for about 4 hours, which is really long.

But that's not to say I think the 320.18 drivers aren't still f'd. That was the only time I've ever seen artifacts on my 670, and since rolling back the drivers I haven't seen any more. I'm still advising all my friends to not use the 320.18's.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK MY LIFE.

BF3 just crashed again, twice in a row, while using IE as the browser. So I guess my new fix doesn't work after all.

Plan D: I just installed an old 5870 I had lying around, so we'll see if this clears it up. But at this point I'm not sure if I want it to or not. If the problem goes away, that means it's my 670 - and since it never did this before that would likely mean that 320.18 screwed up my card, which would mean I would have to drive down to Nvida and knock over some magazine racks.

PC sucks. I'm going full WiiU.

EDIT: Man do this 5000's run hot and loud.

mkenyon

Banned
Just reformat. It'll take 20 mins to get back into windows fully installed if you have an SSD. Then just restore game backups or what have you. Two hours tops to get you back to where you were.

It's definitely what I'd be doing in that situation.

*edit*

Also, just to be clear, there is no conclusive evidence that the drivers are killing video cards. It's all speculative at the moment. Lets wait for something more substantial before getting the pitchforks.

Pratfall

Speaking of the GTX780, is there any word on custom 780's that focus on keeping temperatures and noise down? Not looking for a crazy overclock, just the coolest and quietest card. I know there were some great custom 680s that were cool and silent.

Addnan

My 560 and 670 kept locking up the PC on 320.18, no problems with the 560 on the previous driver right now though.

Don't have the 670 anymore to test, 770 works fine though.

mkenyon

Banned
Speaking of the GTX780, is there any word on custom 780's that focus on keeping temperatures and noise down? Not looking for a crazy overclock, just the coolest and quietest card. I know there were some great custom 680s that were cool and silent.
The EVGA ACX cooler is looking like the best of the bunch right now. It has *really* nice fans on it that run super quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom