• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air 2 |OT| - Vibrating Sound, Not Magical but Revolutionary

Status
Not open for further replies.
iPad-Air-2-Color-Options-620x620.jpg

Technical Specifications

• A8X processor chip with 64-bit architecture and M8 motion coprocessor
  • Retina display: 9.7-inch LED-backlit MultiTouch display with IPS technology; 2048 x 1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch; Fully laminated display; Antireflective coating
  • 16GB, 64GB or 128GB of storage
  • FaceTime HD camera: 1.2Mp photos; 720p HD video
  • iSight camera: 8Mp photos; f/2.4 aperture; 1080p HD video
  • Touch ID fingerprint sensor
  • Lightning connector
  • Dimensions: Height: 240mm (height) x 169.5mm (width) x 6.1mm (depth). Weight: 444g (Wi-Fi + Cellular); 437g (Wi-Fi)
  • 10-hour battery life

Price

• iPad Air 2 – 16GB Wi-Fi: $499
  • iPad Air 2 – 64GB Wi-Fi: $599
  • iPad Air 2 – 128GB Wi-Fi: $699
  • iPad Air 2 – 16GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $629
  • iPad Air 2 – 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $729
  • iPad Air 2 – 128GB Wi-Fi + Cellular: $829

Release Date
October 24, 2014 in North America and UK

Reviews
CNET
The Verge
Engadget
Techradar
Apple Insiders - In Depth Review

Other GAF Threads
Apple October 2014 Event
A8X/iPad Air 2 Benchmarks

Images have been taken from other threads and sites.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Finally updated from an iPad 3 to iPad Air 2 (64GB) huge increase in performance really feels like a big step forward not only in form factor but also speed.

Anyone recommend some addictive games to try?

Posting this from the other thread.

Air 2 owners, how bad would you say is the vibration? After reading the first few pages of the macrumors thread, I initially decided against buying it. But I highly doubt they fix it stealthily, so I would have to wait for next year's model. That's too long.

However, I've now read the whole macrumors thread, and I'm kinda worried again. Plenty of people returning it. I used to hold my old iPad in my hands most of the time, and I never used earphones with it.

The vibration is quite unpleasant to me when the volume is high, even through the smart cover.

I mean if you're someone who tends to use its speakers quite often while holding it, it is going to be bothersome. After a little while, my fingers just feel numb, it's weird.

Maybe it's time to finally replace my old iPad (2010). Probably once Hulu/Netflix/AirPlay/Safari stop working I could justify it to the wife. It's hardly our primary device so it's more a toy than anything else (MacBook Air nation represent).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Posting this from the other thread.

I mean if you're someone who tends to use its speakers quite often while holding it, it is going to be bothersome. After a little while, my fingers just feel numb, it's weird.

It isn't a deal breaker for me personally. Most of my media consumption involves headphones. But I do think it is important to say that this particular thing, while it might sound ridiculous, is not overblown. It really does vibrate like crazy at high volumes.

The vibration and lack of a screen rotation switch are my only two complaints. It is way better than the ipad 3 I am coming from.

Does anyone actually like the white bezel? I was going to pick one up today but they were out of black bezel models. The white is super unpleasant to look at.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
We are going to be upgrading our kids' 1st generation iPads for Christmas and I was looking to just go with the first iPad Air. Is the 2 worth what will most likely be a 300 dollar premium for the two when all is said and done?

You guys all suck iPad Air for life no sequel will beat the best!!!
Screw you guys with the better screen and processor =(

We are going to be upgrading our kids' 1st generation iPads for Christmas and I was looking to just go with the first iPad Air. Is the 2 worth what will most likely be a 300 dollar premium for the two when all is said and done?

If it was for you I'd say its worth the premium, you'll get more life out of it with the updated RAM.

If you are going previous gen maybe look at the iPad Mini 2? Similar specs and a little bit cheaper.

KorrZ

Got the 16GB silver and love it so far. It's incredibly thin, light and runs super smooth. The last iPad I had was the original so it is definitely a huge improvement from my last experience.

It's quite a bit faster feeling then my Nexus 7 as well.

Corgi

Banned
The laminated screen and 2gb of ram are big deals though. Especially for multi tabbed browsing.

i felt like its more of iOS 8 issue and the way how safari behaves and not ram issue.

would like to see some tests though.

i feel like ios 8.1 fixed most of my issues i had with multitasking from ios 7 to 8.

Really really torn on buying this. There is a palpable sense of complacency in the general consensus on the Air 2 and I think they may really mix things up next year.

E-DuB

Just got in an hour ago from picking one of these things up. Can anyone recommend a decent case that isn't the smart cover/case?

Red Comet

I've had mine since Wednesday, and I'm absolutely loving it. I upgraded from a first gen Mini, so it's a pretty big step up for me.

I'm tempted to get this as my iPad 2 is showing its age now. But I'm trying to see if I withold for one more year. Love the new design and the performance looks fantastic.

I have an Air and tried an Air 2 out at the apple store. Marginally thinner, marginally better screen, marginally increased browsing speed because of the 2gb RAM. Not worth an upgrade at all, considering I paid $320 for my 32gb refurbished and a 64gb Air 2 is $300 more than that.

Next year will probably be big.

It isn't a deal breaker for me personally. Most of my media consumption involves headphones. But I do think it is important to say that this particular thing, while it might sound ridiculous, is not overblown. It really does vibrate like crazy at high volumes.

The vibration and lack of a screen rotation switch are my only two complaints. It is way better than the ipad 3 I am coming from.

I think the rotation witch something this l everyone will get used to like how I'm accustomed to it after iOS 7.

Should I get this?

Someone on Craigslist is offering $480 for 16GB Gold. If I buy retail, it costs $540.

I would say yes. However I can't comment on the possibility of it being a stolen device but I hope it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Does anyone actually like the white bezel? I was going to pick one up today but they were out of black bezel models. The white is super unpleasant to look at.

This is my first iOS device with a white bezel and I'm still getting used to it. However it isn't as noticeable.

I don't think I notice the difference with the laminated screen.

Me neither.

Iolo

Yes, you have to try it to believe the vibration, even at low volumes. However, the sound is absolute leagues better (volume and tonality) than my iPad 3. So far I give the edge to the improved sound, while still being occasionally jarred that the screen itself vibrates.

SiDCrAzY

Just got my new ipad air 2 today, so lovely. I'm really loving it. I need a case though, the cheap third party one I have now doesn't have a working sleep/wake function.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm waiting for mine.. it's stuck in Incheon, Korea. There's some sort of shipping delay, so UPS has a big yellow "EXCEPTION" flag on the tracking page.

In the meantime, this is giving me time to Handbrake many of my movie files to iPad-compatible format. My goal will be for this to be the most organized device I've ever had content-wise. It'll hopefully be pretty futureproof for a while.

yamo

So, did the new iPad Air 2 get a boost in ram, from 1gb to 2gb? I haven't been keeping up with the news.

HylianTom

Banned
Might be time for me to upgrade my iPad 2 then! :)
That was my one big triggers for giving-in to temptation. Just a guess, but I think it'll likely be a while before we see another step up in RAM, so this iPad edition should be useful for a good bit of time.

oti

Banned
I'm still rocking my iPad mini. I'm so hip.
Truth is I don't use it anymore since getting the Oneplus One.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Really really torn on buying this. There is a palpable sense of complacency in the general consensus on the Air 2 and I think they may really mix things up next year.

Complacency?

It's the best speccd tablet in the world, short of it coming with a fleshlight attachment I'm struggling to see how they can improve on this.

Like actually really - OS stuff aside, how do you make this better other than with the obvious spec upgrades that will come in the future?

Prozel

Can't say I regret choosing the first Air over the 2 since the discount was pretty good. However, I am impressed how much they can cram in such small package.

JNA

Banned
Currently using an Air 1. For some reason its starting to get worse each month.

I really want an Air 2 but I feel like I should just wait for Air 3 next year. Is Air 2 worth the upgrade or no?

Currently using an Air 1. For some reason its starting to get worse each month.

I really want an Air 2 but I feel like I should just wait for Air 3 next year. Is Air 2 worth the upgrade or no?

It did get a huge bump in processing power with what the benchmarks are showing and it definitely got 2GB of ram in place. I'm guessing Apple would bump up the ram for another 2-3 years at the very least.

In other words iPad 2 Air is a beast.

Nero3000

Complacency?

It's the best speccd tablet in the world, short of it coming with a fleshlight attachment I'm struggling to see how they can improve on this.

Like actually really - OS stuff aside, how do you make this better other than with the obvious spec upgrades that will come in the future?

Stereo speakers, Kickstand and waterproofing i guess. But your right that there is not much left.

Ambitious

In other news, I finally got rid of my iPad 3. Got 220€ for the black 16GB WiFi model (including a Smart Cover). Guess that's fine. I'm going to get another 25€ for my Smart Case as well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Stereo speakers, Kickstand and waterproofing i guess. But your right that there is not much left.

Stereo speakers (or at least ones where you hand doesn't cover them while playing games) would be a bit nice I guess. Water proofing would be cool but I don't see how it could work. Don't need a kickstand, the new smart cover is pretty good at that (a lot sturdier than my old iPad 2 cover).

I'd like a bigger screen maybe since I read a lot of comics on it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think the white bezel is beautiful. However, it highlights the black edge to the screen (which is very well hidden on the black bezel). For that reason I returned the white one and am going black this time - the laminated screen really benefits from the black bezel IMO

Silver iPad Air 2 owner here, it's beautiful to look at lol

weak thread title

Hey, I tried to post in the other thread but I already had a triple post and figured it's best for me to not ask for a title.

I happened to see that title on the Verge review site, figured it would be funny to see reverse it.

Ambitious

I think the white bezel is beautiful. However, it highlights the black edge to the screen (which is very well hidden on the black bezel). For that reason I returned the white one and am going black this time - the laminated screen really benefits from the black bezel IMO

The same black bezel as the white iPhone 5S?

Vyer

I have no idea why, but I'm seriously considering the gold here. Pics of the Air2 in gold are far more appealing to me than the phones ever were.

Ambitious

Some people find the white bezel to be distracting, especially when watching a video. While I don't have the issue, I can see how that might be

I see. Well, I've got a white 5S, and neither the white bezel nor the smaller black bezel around the screen do bother me. So if I buy an Air 2, it will be the white one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom