• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

BFIB

Me its iPad air, PS4. Sold my N10 and will be selling my 360 to help offset. Love new electronics time!

bodine1231

Almost $2k in November on games,systems and electronics. Also a down payment on a new house,furniture and surround system.

im-broke.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's PS4 + iPad mini retina for me as well. I'll try to see if I can postpone the iPad purchase for december to distribute the expense at least a bit. They didn't even announced when it's coming out, so hopefully near the end of the month :p

Mononoke

Banned
I think i'll give the Air a try. While I personally thought the Mini was superior, I'm willing to try the new one if it's really that light, and can be held with one hand. Have to say, as much as I love the Mini's physical dimensions, I missed the bigger screen for movies. And I watch a lot of Netflix/Hulu and streams on my iPad.

Juice

Staying up extra late to order my iPad ... and I don't know which one I want at all.

I'm tempted to buy LTE because theoretically I could use it anywhere, even though in practice it's probably pretty unlikely that I would. I'm very interested in using it to hack via SSH+tmux on a cloud-based dev box and the idea that it'd be always-connectable is appealing.

And I have no idea whether i want black or white. I like white more aesthetically, but prefer the bezel-less feel of the black in actual use.

Staying up extra late to order my iPad ... and I don't know which one I want at all.

I'm tempted to buy LTE because theoretically I could use it anywhere, even though in practice it's probably pretty unlikely that I would. I'm very interested in using it to hack via SSH+tmux on a cloud-based dev box and the idea that it'd be always-connectable is appealing.

And I have no idea whether i want black or white. I like white more aesthetically, but prefer the bezel-less feel of the black in actual use.

I had an LTE iPad 3 and it was a waste, the rare times that I used it where there wasn't any wifi, you can just tether to a phone.

BFIB

Just called my local Wal-Mart and the electronic associate said their shipment will be on the truck arriving around 5am.

Take it for what its worth. Said they have a lot on the inventory allotment.

Juice

Oh wow, I just saw that T-Mobile's iPad data usage is free for 200MB / month!

That might be enough to get me to spend $120 to get it. Sounds super handy to have an emergency data budget

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-01%20at%200.13.19.png

Jafku

Oh wow, I just saw that T-Mobile's iPad data usage is free for 200MB / month!

That might be enough to get me to spend $120 to get it. Sounds super handy to have an emergency data budget

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-01%20at%200.13.19.png

Yup a big deal for T-mobile. I don't see myself using it however :(. Atleast T-mobile is trying to force the other telecoms to change their strategy regarding data. Also this is I believe for any tablet for the life of the device. e.g. if you have a nexus 7 with lte it's 200MB per month for free

Yup a big deal for T-mobile. I don't see myself using it however :(. Atleast T-mobile is trying to force the other telecoms to change their strategy regarding data

If they can force Verizon to make their LTE deals sweeter I'll be eternally grateful to t mobile

Juice

Yup a big deal for T-mobile. I don't see myself using it however :(. Atleast T-mobile is trying to force the other telecoms to change their strategy regarding data. Also this is I believe for any tablet for the life of the device. e.g. if you have a nexus 7 with lte it's 200MB per month for free

Has T-mobile documented this anywhere? (e.g. that it's for the life of the device?)

Only found this:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4867228/tmobile-offering-new-pad-users-200mb-free-monthly-data

I had an LTE iPad 3 and it was a waste, the rare times that I used it where there wasn't any wifi, you can just tether to a phone.

I'll just chime in and say it's totally worth it from my perspective. On a long car ride using an iPad with LTE is a great experience. Tethering to an iPhone wastes the battery, the tether is often not stable. I'd rather have my phone available to make a call on a long ride when I need it and use the bigger battery of the iPad for longer LTE internet browsing. It's very convenient if you attach the iPad to an existing (AT&T is what I have) data package.

Sailor

How much do you guys think these will be on Black Friday? Since no retailer is selling ipad Air cases yet I'm not even going to be using it if I buy it tomorrow.

Mononoke

Banned
How much do you guys think these will be on Black Friday? Since no retailer is selling ipad Air cases yet I'm not even going to be using it if I buy it tomorrow.

Do Apple products ever go on sale? I mean, I see them knock off $20 or $30 every once in a while. But nothing huge?

Juice

The language on that site is so confusing.

wtf said:
In order to get the 200 MB of free Starter Data, you need to have an active Mobile Internet account with T-Mobile.

If you are a postpaid customer, you’ll need to have an On Demand data plan at minimum which is $0/mo. if you are a voice customer (after $10 line credit).

If you are a prepaid customer, you’ll need to activate a prepaid account. You do not have to a purchase data pass in order to access your free Starter Data. T-Mobile does not require an annual service contract.

So basically I have to sign up for a free account? Or something? Wha?

Jafku

The language on that site is so confusing.

So basically I have to sign up for a free account? Or something? Wha?

Well you would have to sign up for a mobile internet account with T-mobile. Then you would register the device without paying anything. When you use up the 200Mb it's gone for the month no overages, it will just prompt you if you want to upgrade to a higher data plan like 2.5GB for $30 a month. Did that clarify the plan for you?

Juice

Well you would have to sign up for a mobile internet account with T-mobile. Then you would register the device without paying anything. When you use up the 200Mb it's gone for the month no overages, it will just prompt you if you want to upgrade to a higher data plan like 2.5GB for $30 a month. Did that clarify the plan for you?

I just asked via a chat with Apple and she said that the plan is separate from any existing T-Mobile plans and that it can be initiated entirely from the Settings app on the iPad.

Hazelhurst

So, we order online, in about two hours? Then Apple will hold it for pickup instead of having to stand in line tomorrow morning?

dorkimoe

So, we order online, in about two hours? Then Apple will hold it for pickup instead of having to stand in line tomorrow morning?

for those of you who have apple stores yes :(

i have to order it online and have them ship it, and also take off work to receive it because they require a signature :(

madmook

Air owners, please load up this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543852

and tell me if all the gifs play smoothly after loading.

Edit: hmmm just loaded up that thread on my mini in mobile gaf, and everything runs smoothly. I remember it bogging down before, maybe iOS 7.0.3 made some more improvements to Safari. Gonna try to find another gif thread that slows my mini down.

ElyrionX

I just played with one at a store. Definitely not as light as I was expecting. Performance was definitely faster than my iPad 3 but on the whole, I'm not impressed. Will wait for a higher pixel density and higher RAM model.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just played with one at a store. Definitely not as light as I was expecting. Performance was definitely faster than my iPad 3 but on the whole, I'm not impressed. Will wait for a higher pixel density and higher RAM model.

I need to hear more negative impressions like this to keep me from buying one tonight. I am perfectly happy with my iPad 3, why the hell am I thinking of getting an Air? Dementia perhaps.

bodine1231

I need to hear more negative impressions like this to keep me from buying one tonight. I am perfectly happy with my iPad 3, why the hell am I thinking of getting an Air? Dementia perhaps.

Lol yeah,me too. I have no business buying this right now.

Weight is a key factor for me. This post made me go back to a Retina Mini.

toohectic

Is the 4G Air compatible with all wireless carriers? Meaning, can you just swap the sim out and have it work on any of the LTE carriers? Or is there still a CDMA / GSM type choice going on when you buy an iPad? I thought I remember reading that there is only one version of the radio, and when you specify a carrier, you are only determining which carrier's sim comes preloaded. Is that correct?

If there is a single radio version, then I'm thinking that you might as well get the T-mobile version for the 200MB and just swap out the sim if you're in an area with poor coverage or you need the larger data plans for the other carriers. Will other carriers provide you a sim if you ask? In that case, I wonder if you could somehow get multiple T-mobile sims for an additional 200MB.

Interesting, first negative I've heard about the weight "not being light enough"

Top Bottom