• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Xamdou

Just bought an iPad Air 16gb for $450 at bestbuy after price matching Toysrus's $50 off iPad airs. Also bought the zagg screen shield and a clear slim case both on sale at bestbuy as we'll.

Screen quality is great, never owned an iPad before and my current apple product is an IPhone 4S.

For some damn reason I can't log in my email accounts.

Deku Tree

My iPad Air Safari web browser acts strange in the following way. Sometimes when I open it up it immediately shows a split second of web pages that I had open two or three sessions ago. Then it quickly realizes which tabs I had open in my last session and loads them. This also happens with other programs such as good reader. Not sure why...

PFD

My iPad Air Safari web browser acts strange in the following way. Sometimes when I open it up it immediately shows a split second of web pages that I had open two or three sessions ago. Then it quickly realizes which tabs I had open in my last session and loads them. This also happens with other programs such as good reader. Not sure why...

Started seeing this with iOS 7. This OS is dumb, they need to hurry and release 7.1

vpance

Does anyone's Twitch app not work at all? I just get a perpetual loading icon for every stream. The website doesn't load streams either, I guess they have no HTML5 player.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Does anyone's Twitch app not work at all? I just get a perpetual loading icon for every stream. The website doesn't load streams either, I guess they have no HTML5 player.

The website is capable of loading streams, I was testing mine today on my iphone 5.

Finally thinking about upgrading to the Air from my 1st gen iPad. Went all out with that little guy and I mainly read comics on it but I would like to play around with some of the newer apps.

Vyer

Finally thinking about upgrading to the Air from my 1st gen iPad. Went all out with that little guy and I mainly read comics on it but I would like to play around with some of the newer apps.

1st gen to Air would be a hell of a leap.

Comics are great on it.

I'm in a similar situation, made the leap from 1st gen to Air, though we also have a 4th gen Touch and an iPhone 5.

The 1st gen has become our 3 1/2 year old's, and the Air for my wife and I. The only thing is I'm a bit bummed that Magic 2014 crashes so much (no fault of the Air of course).

Glad I made the leap--it works great for Smartglass apps that go along with the Xbox One.

Jag

Loving my Air. Using it for everything from streaming movies, to controlling my AV system, web, etc. Screen looks nice and clean too.

Ironically the book I started just before it came was the Steve Jobs biography. For many years I was anti-Apple until I drank the kool aid, so I didn't really follow him. I am just totally blown away by what a genius (and asshole) he was. Truly one of the great minds of our generation. So many lessons in that book for businesses too.

Reading his biography on the Air makes the story so much more poignant. I also like being able to flip over to Youtube and watch some of the events discussed in the book. (one day it would be nice to link media through an e-book)

If you have even a passing interest in Apple or modern computing, I highly recommend the book. I'm not a big biography fan, but I can't put this book down.

justjohn

Loving the fuck outta this. Just got watchmen and the dark knight returns comic book. Also bbc iplayer looks phenomenal on this.

Carlisle

Loving the fuck outta this. Just got watchmen and the dark knight returns comic book. Also bbc iplayer looks phenomenal on this.

Reading books and comics and watching video is a whole new experience for me coming up from an iPad 2. The screen is wonderful.

Guess Who

Banned
You'll be back
I did the same thing and the mini was unsatisfying so I swapped it again

I'll say this, it's a really fucking hard call, at least for me. When I had the iPad 3 and the mini it was a really easy choice to go mini, but this year it's so much more challenging.

I have an iPhone 4S running the latest iOS...never owned a tablet.

If I bought an iPad could I sign in with my Apple ID and have it somehow download all my iPhone apps and settings etc? Or would this be starting from scratch besides some games that use Game Center?

Hatty

I have an iPhone 4S running the latest iOS...never owned a tablet.

If I bought an iPad could I sign in with my Apple ID and have it somehow download all my iPhone apps and settings etc? Or would this be starting from scratch besides some games that use Game Center?

yes you can
and if your phone apps are universal it will download the tablet version automatically

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
(one day it would be nice to link media through an e-book)

Some books in the iBooks store already do that, or embed sound/videos directly into the book. I believe the newer ePub formats allow for that as well, but they're not as widely supported afaik.

Loving my iPad Air too, especially since I just got an Everdock for my desk, so it makes for a great third screen via Air Display.

That being said, my one and only gripe are apps randomly closing when I'm in the middle of using them. I still don't understand why a $499 tablet only comes with 1 GB of RAM. It's awesome that they have such an efficient, streamlined OS that can reasonably handle that limitation, but this is supposed to be a premium product. It's maddening at times.

AlexMogil

Just got my 128 coming from a 4.

My goodness. This is going to sound really dumb, but this iPad Air is almost... too light?

Love the device. It doesn't feel real.

Shearie

Just got my 128 coming from a 4.

My goodness. This is going to sound really dumb, but this iPad Air is almost... too light?

Love the device. It doesn't feel real.

You're right, that does sound really dumb :)

The lighter the better, unless if it's so light that a mild breeze could blow the iPad away.

Xamdou

What case is everyone using? I am currently using the Belkin QODE Ultimate Ipad air case color black and I am liking it a lot. I bought a white Ipad air, so it looks weird with a black a case so I ordered the white version of the QODE from amazon for $85. After some promo's, $25 gift card and amazon visa chase card discounts my price for the case turned to only $25!

Deku Tree

What case is everyone using? I am currently using the Belkin QODE Ultimate Ipad air case color black and I am liking it a lot. I bought a white Ipad air, so it looks weird with a black a case so I ordered the white version of the QODE from amazon for $85. After some promo's, $25 gift card and amazon visa chase card discounts my price for the case turned to only $25!

Poetic GraphGrip Silicone Case for Apple iPad Air (5th Generation iPad) Black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CW1NBXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

protective easy to hold and minimalist so i love it.

Jimrpg

Does anyone have any issues with the 1gb ram in the iPad air that would make me reconsider the purchase?

I don't mind so much reloading safari tabs if that's the only issue...

Deku Tree

Does anyone have any issues with the 1gb ram in the iPad air that would make me reconsider the purchase?

not me. no issues with the ram. safari does crash more often than i would like, but its not that bad, and i expect it to be fixed with iOS 7.1.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It won't be light enough until it's as light as my Kindle.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

Browsing any image heavy pages is a crap shoot. Thankfully, you generally can just reload the tabs, but it's ridiculous that this is a problem at all.

Again, it's still a wonderful device, and I'm happy I got it, but they definitely cheaped out on the RAM. It's a lot like the first-gen iPad/Safari experience all over again.

Billen

Banned
I bought a black Air for my kid for Christmas. Now I am sitting here wondering if I should have gone for ther white one. I just feel that black ought to be friendlier on tired eyes.

Sky Chief

Browsing any image heavy pages is a crap shoot. Thankfully, you generally can just reload the tabs, but it's ridiculous that this is a problem at all.

Again, it's still a wonderful device, and I'm happy I got it, but they definitely cheaped out on the RAM. It's a lot like the first-gen iPad/Safari experience all over again.

It is ridiculous. I got mine a couple days ago and in general I am happy but the crashes and just iOS7 in General is not ideal. I am a little annoyed that my phone that cost half the price has double the RAM and a smoother web surfing experience than my tablet.

princefarzan

Neo Member
Posting this from my brand new iPad Air 64GB! At first I was going to go with the 32 but after some searching through craigslist someone was selling a brand new 64GB Air for 600 flat. This was too good of a deal to pass up so I immediatly contacted the seller and it was still available. Saved about $215 consider the 64GB sells for 720+tax. Still trying to find some cool games to play on it, any suggestions?

raven777

Got my ipad air 128gb wifi space grey yesterday. This is my third ipad (ipad 2 -> ipad 3 -> ipad air)

only used it for a day but I am loving it so far, especially the weight and design.

Probably the wrong thread, but do any other iPad owners have the problem of annoying ads constantly opening the App Store while browsing GAF mobile?

Shearie

Probably the wrong thread, but do any other iPad owners have the problem of annoying ads constantly opening the App Store while browsing GAF mobile?

Not on GAF but whenever I visit euro gamer.net on my 5s it usually launches the App Store to some bullshit game. The last time I visited that website it actually launched my Spotify app and then I promptly deleted my cookies and data have never visited Eurogamer again.

freakk5

Banned
Now I'm nervous. My Air just got delivered to my house. Hoping it doesn't have the screen issue.

If you have to replace the device, I assume they give you a new one, not a refurb?

If there's any issue outta the box just bring it to an Apple store and they'll immediately give you a fresh one.

justjohn

I still can't get over how beautiful the retina is. I suppose as time goes on it will become normal but for now I'm still in the wow stage.

Top Bottom