• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Reminds me of Reply 1997 [spoiler alert] when the dude basically helped raise the girl from when she was a baby and was also her teacher at school and the second she's legal he's going for it (because her older sister he was engaged to died in an accident?), and yet the interesting part was supposed to be that he was competition for his younger brother who was her schoolmate, lol.

I know I've brought it up before, but seriously man, cultural differences can be a real trip, haha.

Eldren

Korea (and this thread) sleeping on new Laboum is a crime. It's top 5 release of the year material!!

I've been listening to this a lot since you linked it, I really like it. For me it's filling the void left by The Red-era Red Velvet. Definitely one of my fave tracks this year.

Edit: dunno if anyone else has seen it but JinE is stopping her promotion with Oh My Girl for a while because she's being treated for anorexia. Honestly it worries me how many idols are likely to have serious eating disorders that are just passed off as "dieting" or working hard or whatever. We see these weight swings all the time, like vanty just mentioned below with Blackpink. It's clearly unhealthy and it's damaging for these young people.

vanty

Those BLACKPINK dance practice videos must be pretty old. In both the MVs and the performances they all look at least a few kilos heavier and much healthier.

llehuty

Edit: dunno if anyone else has seen it but JinE is stopping her promotion with Oh My Girl for a while because she's being treated for anorexia. Honestly it worries me how many idols are likely to have serious eating disorders that are just passed off as "dieting" or working hard or whatever. We see these weight swings all the time, like vanty just mentioned below with Blackpink. It's clearly unhealthy and it's damaging for these young people.
WTF?? That's fucked up.

Oh My Girl has had a lot of health problems. This is like the third or fourth girl that has had issues

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's a weird thing because often idols come back like "I'm better now" which I know is mostly a reassurance to fans, but that isn't really how mental illnesses work. It's more like "I've been educated in social/circumstantial effects on my perceptions and self-guidance and have been given some instruction on how to be vigilant in appropriately discerning things instead of just following instincts" and even with that I question how well they are helped.

Idol pressures must definitely be very high, but these illnesses aren't all that uncommon and their causal factors are throughout all society, so I wonder how it is in the industry compared to just any environment of high interpersonal comparison, such as in very competitive schools. Then again, anorexia is also often a means of having control over something when the rest of life feels out of control, so idols could be more susceptible in more respects than just the body image.

Pendulum

Oh My Girl has had a lot of health problems. This is like the third or fourth girl that has had issues

And unfortunately not the first time for JinE. She was treated for anorexia back in the Closer era (she said she saw a picture of herself from Cupid promotions, and starved herself for Closer).

---

Mamamoo subunit releases?
CqttqQLUsAAPh7b.jpg
CqttwhUUEAAW7Kv.jpg

Eldren

Yeah there was a time Seunghee was out of action for a while right? And Binnie had problems too I think. It's frightening. Probably doesn't help that female idols always have to suffer netizen comments calling them fat and just insulting their bodies in general.

Also I'm mad about that Born To Be Wild MV. I like the song and the choreo but that is one of the worst MVs I've ever had the misfortune of having to sit through. Fuck whichever clown at SM thought that was a good idea.

#JusticeForHyoyeon

Again? I think she had problems with anorexia last year too.

broz0rs

this is just my opinion, but I feel that as long as SM has that EXO money train, so many of their other acts can do whatever they want. Whereas even though YG has Korea's best export to Japan in Big Bang, their other acts are refrained from releasing material and promotions. In other words, SM doesn't seem all that bad (unless you try to get out of their contract, of course)

Praying for Oh My Girl and JinE. ):
Though I do find it remarkable they're so open about her having anorexia, but to see this happen for the 2nd time is very worrying. Perhaps time for a subunit and let some of the members that need it have some rest.

Also Spica's Secret Time is a bop.

Broank

Poor damn JinE, hope she can get things straightened out. She's looked pretty sickly most of the year. I remember the other girls telling her to please be healthy on the last episode of their show last year and at the time I was like "what was that about?".

Seunghee was out a couple weeks ago too, and she already had to take a break during Liar Liar. Kinda surprised they haven't had more problems since they've been prompting so hard without even a day or two break.

So apparently Dara is a judge on a Filipino reality show called Pinoy Boyband Superstar, didn't know about it until I saw a teaser about it on Filipino TV earlier.

What's interesting is this:

Nope, that's a dude on the right. He's actually the most popular gay comedian in the Philippines. He's also a judge on that show Dara is judging on.

It's just really interesting to me to see this crossover lol. Like I know Dara grew up for half of her life in the Philippines but when she left the PH around 2007, a lot of us thought she'd never be back so to see this happening is really really interesting.

Plus, I guess you could say that the rumors of 2NE1 being unofficially over has some merit to it.

Sidenote: Fnck. I totally forgot how gorgeous Dara is.

I remember crushing on her hard in Taeyang's I Need A Girl MV and that was 6 years ago. Like damn, she's aged like fine wine and shit.

JohnCYQ

IU revealed a few years back that she had to deal with eating disorders as well (this was on Healing Camp), and then there's the countless other female idols who have lost so much weight they seem totally different (Uee, Luna to name a few). Its definitely a pretty common problem for female idols.

llehuty

Heart skipped a beat when this notification came on my phone

[STATION] Hitchhiker_$10_Music Video Teaser
http://www.vlive.tv/video/13046/STATION-Hitchhiker-10-Music-Video-Teaser

It cut off before the 'teaser' part, though. I tried to lower my expectations as the clip loaded. Indeed, there is no music in the clip, but he's just talking pure hype about it. Still trying not to raise my hopes too high, but now I can't wait.
LMAO. OP blessed already. I hope it's more in the line of the 11 Remix.

vanty

Hyeran from Brave Girls posted a video on Snapchat looking out the back of a car with the GPS speed filter showing 163km/h which I'm assuming is somewhere around 60km/h over the speed limit. I thought there was a whole thing about managers stopping the high-speed highway driving after what happened a couple years ago...

llehuty

I went to the cinema to watch a Korean zombie movie that had decent reviews called "Train to Busan" (Busanhaeng).

418318fd-1eb1-11e6-b40f-bd58732394b0.jpg

I have no idea if korean cinema is popular or anything over here, but it got the avant-premiere treatment and was treated as one of the big releases of this week. I'm normally not a fan of this kind of movies, but the pacing was really good and the action decent. It's no scary at all, but really entertaining and well made. Some decent mindless fun.

It also features a random
Soohee
in school uniform, and FUCK, the visuals of this girl are still as strong as ever. There was plenty of whispering the first time she appears on screen, which I found it really funny and didn't expect to see in a french cinema.

Pendulum

I have no idea if korean cinema is popular or anything over here, but it got the avant-premiere treatment and was treated as one of the big releases of this week.

You would know the habits of french moviegoers better than I, but I've always believed France - the birthplace of cinema - to be very receptive to foreign movies (e.g. they have a number of international and special interest movie festivals, Cannes amongst them (which is where "Train to Busan" was first shown)). "Train to Busan" was probably given the high treatment due to 1) Being an action movie so it is easier to be consumed by foreign audiences, and 2) It is biggest Korean movie of 2016, and 13th of all time based on domestic theatre admissions. The buzz around it was going to give it good international recognition (it's grossed over US$80m worldwide).

llehuty

[MV] NU'EST (뉴이스트) - Love Paint (Every Afternoon)
This is good but unexciting.

This duo hasn't been posted before in here. Nothing ground breaking, but pleasant to the ear: 볼빨간 사춘기/Bolbbalgan4/Red Cheek Puberty

싸운날
우주를 줄게 (Galaxy)

I'm feeling for the guitarris/rapper, that doesn't show her face in any official picture. She is reasonably featured in the MV though.

llehuty

The_Genius,_Survival_Game_Reality_Show,_TVN_South_Korea.jpg

I've been marathoning The Genius since the recent news of no more Crime Scene in a while. (I know ;_;)

I really liked season 1, despite the last ep being disappointing as fuck.
Putting so much weight in alliances in the final episode was stupid.

And I began to watch season 2, and it's so damn offputting. I guess you don't know how the cast is going to interact unntil they get to it, but holy shit at all the unnecesary lying and bullying. It's just a numbers game, with the people in the right side of the alliances advancing in the games and the others left on their own to die, independently of their intelligence or grasp of the different games. I get people being competitive, but it's a fucking tv show! Show some manners.

I just watched the 6th ep.
(the one where they directly stole the game ID of one guy, so he couldn't even play the game!)
and holy shit. Some really mean spirited lying for fucking nothing. I'm beyond mad. I can't find myself rooting for a lot of the people left.

Any no spoilery impressions on season 3 and 4? I know it's probably difficult to repicate the vibes from the first season, but the second one is just ughhh.

Top Bottom