• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

This.

It starts of pretty good but then the chorus shits on itself with lame ass chord changes and standard K-Pop melodies.

It's a shame too, there's some really good production going on behind it but it's staved off by that mess.

And yes I understand Twice is your "average" K-Pop group in terms of sound but this shit sounds like it came out around 2012. It sounds old as hell and uninteresting, especially when you consider how Red Velvet(I might even throw BlackPink here) has very interesting sounds.

This.

I keep expecting their big hit but i still don't see or listen anything beyond that from their previous works.

The MV is great for the most part, i wanted to see more shots like the one in the begginning or the teaser.

Ym1r

old songs

thx!! for some reason I really like old korean songs a lot, dunno why.

that 뱅크 song sounded so familiar, then I realized it was in 응답하라 1994! One of my favorite tracks from the ost.

^ if haven't heard already, here's the GOAT Korean musician (Kim Kwang Seok)

http://youtu.be/T0Kz4-1081g

I also just realized this is in the classic ost!!!!!! makes me wanna watch it all over again, son ye jin!! ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

isuzu

I need a gif of 2:21

OYqy7rc.gif

Peru

Song starts so promising with the verse and then the chorus isn't really there.. will do well anyway off their charm.

llehuty

I really like TT. I actually like it better than their other singles, more interesting all around. I like that the song is subtle and subdued but still catchy.

Also, I found Jihyo's voice annoying before, but not in this for some reason.

While fun and okay overall, this is the weakest and least interesting single they have released. As the girls "part the seas" revealing Nayeon things start off strong, with what feels like a great song about to unfold. That quickly haults though, as the song and choreo don't go anywhere.

The chorus and its accompanying choreo are a non-event. One of the few positives I can take from that part is that it should be a nice change of pace for the members during multi-song performances; they can do "TT" without having to exert as much energy as their other singles and album tracks.

The attempts at having Sana create another hit phrase is misguided. With it being repeated here twice, I can only hope she doesn't have more of these attempts throughout the rest of he album.

SpecificCrazyEider.gif

On a more positive note, the production value of the video itself is high, with the girls all looking great. Jihyo may have her best styling. I've said it since the beginning: I fully expect Jihyo to be the least popular member throughout Twice's career. I still prefer Nayeon's tone in most of their songs, though look forward to some better usage of Jihyo's vocals.

As always Dahyun is technically the best member alongside the juggernaut force known as J-Trinity. Best Mina is the next Fei. Why do people still question her greatness?

Ultimately, the song isn't bad, but there have been more interesting and equally fun tunes released this year from acts such as DIA and others on a far smaller budget. JYP's own work on I.O.I's "Very Very Very" produced a stronger result as well in one of 2016's best releases.

Need to play "TT" a few more times (only one listen so far), see the dance practice video and some stages before I write it off as only a "so-so" track. Despite Twice's popularity it's too early in their careers for them to be releasing low effort late-career SNSD songs.

At the moment, I.O.I "Very Very Very" has amassed just over/under 7 million views in 1 week, or about 1 million average per day which is a good showing for a good song.

R1920x0

Now... Twice "TT" has garnered over/under 2.5 million views in the ~10-12 hours since it was released (closer to 3mil factoring in YouTube's delayed tallying).

OT9.

R1920x0

R1920x0

When has the Power Of Nine Angels ever been this readily apparent

R1920x0

Uhyve

Pretty sure it's gonna be Russian Roulette all over again, in a couple of days everyone's gonna be all "bay, ba ba baby".

Seriously though, SM and JYPE are kinda killing it MV-wise right now

PInk Tape

Banned
I like TT but I do think it's their weakest single so far. Love the MV though.

Mini album is pretty solid; my trilogy right now is Pit-A-Pat (my favorite <3), Ponytail, and Next Page.

llehuty

161024 TWICE - TT @ SHOWCASE LIVE Choreo is fun. I like how fluid everything is. And J-Line as OP as usual, specially Mina <3

And yep, I'm officialy obsessed with TT. I get that a lot of people aren't liking it because it's a departure from their first 2 singles. I'm personally super happy, because their 2 other songs are abit all over the place, although still enjoyable. This one on the other hand is fantastic. There are some parts that could be better, but overall I like how cohesive it is. But I'm a sucker for minimalistic/housey beats.

The music video almost crossed the 6 million mark in the first 24 hours. It's now at 6.5 million views and the all-kill around the corner.

No No Eul

So, Twice is about to obliterate the charts in a few hours, a year after their debut. Their 2 MVs about to hit the 100 million mark. Who would ahve though that the next generation defining k-pop girl group, would come out of a questionable survival show and would also have members from japan and china?

llehuty endorses the One-China Policy confirmed. ;)

It gets off to a promising start but that chorus is so weak and monotonous, and that little shift halfway through from minor to major (or whatever's going on there) just makes it worse. Disappointing.
Still the chosen ones though.

Drummond

Neo Member
Bit on the fence about TT. Parts of the song are very interesting, but I don't really like the bridge, which can really make a break a song in my eyes. Chorus is great though. Probably will be a grower like almost every K-Pop song I've ever liked lol.

MV is great, blows most of the western Pop videos out of the water, when it comes down to creativity.

broz0rs

I think K-pop in general the most important part is the hook or chorus. TT just doesn't have a melodic hook that people can repeatedly sing to. It has that early 2000 r&b style phrasing, especially "ireon nae mam moreugo neomuhae" part that just isn't very catchy.

Just saw the showcase and its aegyo galore from start to finish. The girls have so much charm and personality it's contagious.

Peru

I think K-pop in general the most important part is the hook or chorus. .

The k-pop sound SM built with groups like TVXQ and Super Junior has a minimalist approach where rhythm and groove make a bigger impression than melody and big choruses. f(x) is another SM example of that. Although those are still 'hooks' in some sense.

llehuty

[HANTEO] First Day Sales
- The Story Begins: 708
- Page Two: 9,470
- <TWICEcoaster : LANE 1>: 34,255&#65279;

Apparently they have broken the first day girl group sales record, and they could possibly break the first week record:

Hanteo data from May said:

flyover

I like TT a lot. Their first few singles were good songs that were super-catchy. This one is a great song that may take a few listens to worm its way into your brain.

I also think it uses Jihyo to her best advantage. I don't know that she's at her best being a big belter like Girl's Day Minah or GFriend Yuju.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
lol gaf looks like 1996 internet

edit: Okay I won't waste this post. I watched TT.

Overall it's a pretty lowkey song, but the foundation of the chorus reminds me of one of my fav club banger classics so it wins nostalgia points.

As always Jihyo #1 for being 100% pure magic. Chaeyeon was being pretty freaking adorable. Mina was being a dreamboat on a boat. They make a good crew even though this is a preeeeeetty safe outing.

edit 2: ladies code stylish af

Gary is leaving Running Man to focus on his music. Last recording on the 31st.

Wonder how much longer the show goes for, they've been struggling for ages.

Peru

Flop ratings in Korea but still a huge Asian fanbase that I'm sure they make money off somehow (or at least use to leverage their brand).

Damn are things really that bad for Running Man that someone like Gary, who only does RM and music, is leaving with no care that he's gonna lose a huge source of income?

I know LeesSang is super popular and he's making bank with that but leaving the show only grants him two days of free time to work on music. More importantly, no musician works a proper 9-5 and they don't have a set schedule either so this kinda strikes me as an odd move.

Either way it really is an end of an era but I do hope that him leaving forces SBS to bring in another cast member as RM, despite it's current improvements, seems like a shell of it's former self. Like the last funny as fuck episode I saw was when Jae-suk's mission was to steal the cast's shoe, after that it's just fodder to keep me "entertained" while I'm eating.

As for it ending... RM literally is just a cash grab for SBS and the rest of the cast so as long as that pot keeps getting filled, it won't be ending anytime soon.

broz0rs

Since this is the unofficial Korean culture thread, I'd like to share the news of a scandal in Korean politics.

It's been reported that President Park shared classified documents to a close confidant. The problem is that this person has no official position and few know of her. Where it gets spectacular is that this person earned the trust of the President because she channels the spirit of the President's dead mother. You can't make this stuff up. This news is blowing up on Korean TV right now.

Ym1r

Since this is the unofficial Korean culture thread, I'd like to share the news of a scandal in Korean politics.

It's been reported that President Park shared classified documents to a close confidant. The problem is that this person has no official position and few know of her. Where it gets spectacular is that this person earned the trust of the President because she channels the spirit of the President's dead mother. You can't make this stuff up. This news is blowing up on Korean TV right now.

Bruh... I gotta ask my members about this. I wanna hear what they say.

Top Bottom