• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

gogojira

Pumped a few points into Faeblades but I think I'm going to take them back when I can respec (fateweaver, right?). I wanted to like them -- they definitely look cool -- but I feel like I go all Maxi in Soul Calibur with them. Once the attack animation starts, they just kind of go off and I have less control over my character.

Not sure where I'm going to pump them though. I'm thinking a might/finesse build with long swords.

mewarmo990

Neo Member
After over 20 hours I am finally out of Dalentarth and into the Plains of Erathil. These faction quests are seriously great.

Loving the combat as well, challenging but incredibly satisfying when you win against stacked odds. I just wish that the Hard difficulty did more than just add health to the enemies. That's BS to me, so back to Normal.

Currently playing a Might/Sorcery guy that supplements a big purple lightning greatsword with lots and lots of spell slinging. Loads of fun experimenting with FS kills on different enemies! Some are so... casually brutal.

And the color of enemy names is:

Gray/white - lamb to the slaughter
Yellow - gonna be a fun fight, but in your favor
Orange - oh shit (button mashers need not apply)
Red - Run muttafucka run!
For me, it's more like:

Gray/White: run past the boggarts/brownies/bandits
Yellow: keep moving, nothing to see here. Probably kill a few for quests
Orange: Fun starts here. Bring it!
Red: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Really glad I took the risk on a new IP and picked this up instead of getting in on that Skyrim Steam sale.

Dresden

Loving the combat as well, challenging but incredibly satisfying when you win against stacked odds. I just wish that the Hard difficulty did more than just add health to the enemies. That's BS to me, so back to Normal.

That's not true, though. From what the devs have said, increasing the difficulty also lets the enemies attack the player more, at once, opening you up for gangbangs (and gangbangs are what gets you killed).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You know what feature is freakin awesome?

The option to have a helment equipped, but you don't have to see it.

More times than not, helments are clunky hunks of metal that obsure your character and the time you spent creating it. It bothers me in every game in which you can equip a helment.

Whoever thought of this, is a genius.

Blizzard circa 2004, World of Warcraft.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That's not true, though. From what the devs have said, increasing the difficulty also lets the enemies attack the player more, at once, opening you up for gangbangs (and gangbangs are what gets you killed).

Enemy aggression could still be notched up a tad on Hard, at least so far. I've been going for the parry 100 times achievement and more often than not as I sit in the middle of a pack with my shield at ready, I mostly notice enemies circling and attacking one a time. Occasionally two at once, but rarely full on aggression.

Then again I am still in Dalentarth and have yet to see the 'Plains' or whatever that people seem to believe is a noticeable step up.

So far, Hard mode really seems like a decent approximate of what Normal should have been.

Dresden

Enemy aggression could still be notched up a tad on Hard, at least so far. I've been going for the parry 100 times achievement and more often than not as I sit in the middle of a pack with my shield at ready, I mostly notice enemies circling and attacking one a time. Occasionally two at once, but rarely full on aggression.

Then again I am still in Dalentarth and have yet to see the 'Plains' or whatever that people seem to believe is a noticeable step up.

So far, Hard mode really seems like a decent approximate of what Normal should have been.

Sometimes I feel that way, but then I run into some motherfucker who disembowels me in ten seconds. I think the difficulty is fine; admittedly I run around with no health potions.

Xilium

Pretty sure the modding community has been doing that long before Blizzard. It's usually one of the first mods for any RPG on the PC. Blizzard might have been the first company to implement from the start though, don't know.

_machine

Pardon me if it's been asked before, I did wade through a dozen pages, but what's the cd-key steam keeps offering me for?

It certainly doesn't work in Origin and the game never asked me about it.

graywolf323

Pardon me if it's been asked before, I did wade through a dozen pages, but what's the cd-key steam keeps offering me for?

It certainly doesn't work in Origin and the game never asked me about it.

no one knows, it doesn't work to tie the game to your account on the official Amalur site either

Hobbun

I am hearing there is only 1 character per profile, which I think is a bad choice. My roommate really liked the demo and he wants to play as well.

If I start up a new profile for him (my PS3), I have a few questions:

I'm assuming the demo would be accessible for him as well? As it is installed on the hard drive?

And if it isn't, can I copy it over to his profile (or redownload it) so he can play it to get the items for his character? Also, would the extra quest (through EA's online pass) be available to him?

OK guys, I'm just arriving at Didenhill, having gone through Odarth, Webwood, Ettinmere, and Haxhi. I'm a few % away from level 14, and everything is gray for me in this zone. I've been doing all the side quests, have I outleveled the content already? A good chunk of the fun of this game comes from the combat, and for what it's worth I'm playing on hard, but am I basically stuck two or three-shotting every enemy now? Going to be pretty hard to bore my way through the rest of the game like this if that's the case =X (c wut i did thar)

I am hearing there is only 1 character per profile, which I think is a bad choice. My roommate really liked the demo and he wants to play as well.

If I start up a new profile for him (my PS3), I have a few questions:

I'm assuming the demo would be accessible for him as well? As it is installed on the hard drive?

And if it isn't, can I copy it over to his profile (or redownload it) so he can play it to get the items for his character? Also, would the extra quest (through EA's online pass) be available to him?

I'm not sure what people are talking about. My first character bugged out so I created another using my same 360 gamertag. The saves for both characters are both accessible and playable.

OK guys, I'm just arriving at Didenhill, having gone through Odarth, Webwood, Ettinmere, and Haxhi. I'm a few % away from level 14, and everything is gray for me in this zone. I've been doing all the side quests, have I outleveled the content already? A good chunk of the fun of this game comes from the combat, and for what it's worth I'm playing on hard, but am I basically stuck two or three-shotting every enemy now? Going to be pretty hard to bore my way through the rest of the game like this if that's the case =X (c wut i did thar)

Dungeons will still be at your level. I did a quest in Didenhill earlier today at level 17 and the dungeon it had me go to was full of yellow enemies and an orange.

bounchfx

wow! I got to Didenhill at level 6. Granted, I've only done a bit of Ettinmere and that's about it. Haven't done too much else as I'm still pretty early (6 hours in) in the game.

scy

It's more a case of that area being off a lower level cap (though, I thought it was higher than 14). The dungeons will still be of level for you though. I'm level 35 in the Plains and some quests still sent me into dungeons with of level enemies.

Man, I played the hell out of this today (around 19 hours total now) and I'm still not out of Dalentarth. Found my way into Ysa and it's really fantastic, easily the most impressive locale I've come to yet. Completed the House of Ballads arc and
saved all of the Court of Enchantments
like a fuckin' boss. Found a purple staff on the way that had a weapon gem slot; I'm only a couple points away from maxed Sagecrafting so that thing now does like 122 damage.

Here's me and Gorty doing our best to look hard as fuck so the Brownies know who runs shit in the Sidhe:
*img*

101112-das-racist-2.jpg

but it does look cool, i may invest in one myself.

zlatko

Banned
I'm going to try the demo for this game tonight on my PC. Is it a pretty good representation of the whole product, or what does it lack that you need a few hours with it to really see shines?

Also, one of the main reasons I've been keeping away from a purchase or trying the demo right off the bat is the game reminds me for some reason of the Fable series which I loathe with a passion. Please tell me it is nothing like Fable. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to try the demo for this game tonight on my PC. Is it a pretty good representation of the whole product, or what does it lack that you need a few hours with it to really see shines?

Also, one of the main reasons I've been keeping away from a purchase or trying the demo right off the bat is the game reminds me for some reason of the Fable series which I loathe with a passion. Please tell me it is nothing like Fable. :(

Personally, I felt super-rushed in the demo and didn't take my time to listen to dialogue and what not. Also, the combat gets a good bit more challenging after level 7 (?) or so. Still, the demo will give you a good idea of how the world looks (assuming you're not using an ATI card since post processing is broken) and how everything controls. Definitely try it to get an idea.

I know for a fact that it was in EverQuest 2 at launch, which came out before WoW. I'm pretty sure it was available in other RPGs/MMORPGs with visible loot before that, too.

Dungeons will still be at your level. I did a quest in Didenhill earlier today at level 17 and the dungeon it had me go to was full of yellow enemies and an orange.

It's more a case of that area being off a lower level cap (though, I thought it was higher than 14). The dungeons will still be of level for you though. I'm level 35 in the Plains and some quests still sent me into dungeons with of level enemies.

Oh, phew, that sounds good, thanks for the info.

Dresden

It feels more like WoW than Fable.

Playing on XBox, playing normal difficulty, it feels fine to lil' scrubby me. Im pushing over things to the west of where my quest are, the enemies where Im mainly at give me a good challenge in groups, and things to my east can light me up pretty quickly.

GeoramA

12 hours in, playing on hard. Just started questing for the House of Ballads. Got about 12 other side-quests queued up as well. Like Skyrim, I'm doing a jack-of-all-trades for my first playthrough.

This game is seriously amazing for a first effort, and it looks and runs great on the PS3. I really hope a lot people bought this.

mewarmo990

Neo Member

Really? I did not notice that. I'll try it on Hard again! Hopefully the Plains of Erathil will be more of a challenge. (not to say that some previous areas weren't). Are there wolves in Erathil? ahhhhhhhhh

If the enemy behavior does indeed change I'll stick with it. I just don't like "artificial" difficulty settings that add enemy health and really just make the battles take up more time.

Had a heck of a time getting repeatedly two-shotted by Gnarsh. @_@ Is it one-hit kill on Hard?

Amir0x

Banned
fuck this game has me by the hooks. i quite literally can't stop playing it, except to piss. I had to go to work and work lasted like 80 hours or something since I stopped to glance at the clock every five seconds...

Rad Agast

Still pretty early in the game (just finished Webwood) but I'm doing every quest I see on my way and I'm enjoying this even more than I thought I would.

Played this on PS3 for about two hours last night from Gamefly and it was SEW BORING. I'm going to revisit it because I understand the combat really picks up, but the combination of the committee-led aesthetics and hyper-generic fantasy universe really doesn't sit well with me(you might say "surely you were aware of that going in", to which I would say "fuck yourself"). I could not skip the dialogue fast enough. Hope it gets better :(

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
fuck this game has me by the hooks. i quite literally can't stop playing it, except to piss. I had to go to work and work lasted like 80 hours or something since I stopped to glance at the clock every five seconds...

I'm doing that right now. lol I might even go to the gym tonight and just play this game from friday night until sunday and stop to eat and use the restroom.

Tex117

Banned
Ah, I never played World of Warcraft and haven't PC gamed since 2003.

Well, then I will re-phrase that it is the first time I have seen it in a console RPG. (not that I have played them all, but I have played my fair share), and that I like the feature.

ParityBit

Makes reading the sentence very difficult because I keep looking at my computer clock. Good thing is I take off in 15 min! Wife is working tonight and also working this weekend. Plus snow on Saturday!

My own game work is suffering!!

fuuian

Neo Member
In the Livarium doing a quest for the Travelers and
came across a chest in the middle of some braziers. Anyone figure this out?

Amir0x

Banned
I'm doing that right now. lol I might even go to the gym tonight and just play this game from friday night until sunday and stop to eat and use the restroom.

Hahah seriously. I stopped for like six hours to play FFXIII-2 that my fiancee gave me (to give the appearance I was loving the gift), and it was like the most painful six hours of all time. I literally almost tripped on my own ass trying to switch to Amalur went the time went up.

Makes reading the sentence very difficult because I keep looking at my computer clock. Good thing is I take off in 15 min! Wife is working tonight and also working this weekend. Plus snow on Saturday!

My own game work is suffering!!

I am off on Monday so it's three day Amalur marathon for sure. CANNOT WAIT

Same here, man! I'm seriously hooked...

It's really got the perfect addictive motivation...

scy

Really? I did not notice that. I'll try it on Hard again! Hopefully the Plains of Erathil will be more of a challenge. (not to say that some previous areas weren't). Are there wolves in Erathil? ahhhhhhhhh

Wolves, Barghasts, and Arcane Barghasts as far as wildlife is concerned. There's some new enemy types too.

Also, fucking Sprites.

If the enemy behavior does indeed change I'll stick with it. I just don't like "artificial" difficulty settings that add enemy health and really just make the battles take up more time.

Short and sweet of it is that enemy attacks have a "value" to them and Hard raises the limit for that value. e.g., A Wolf attacking is a "1" and a Troll's charge is a "5" so if Normal is limited to "5", you'll never see both attacks together.

I haven't played on Normal myself but I can't remember the last time I actually saw enemies obviously waiting for attacks to finish before they could attack. There's been staggered attacks but it didn't feel like this issue and just more of a hoping to catch me off-block or mid-swing.

Nista

Hahah seriously. I stopped for like six hours to play FFXIII-2 that my fiancee gave me (to give the appearance I was loving the gift), and it was like the most painful six hours of all time. I literally almost tripped on my own ass trying to switch to Amalur went the time went up.

See I have almost the opposite dilemma - I didn't finish FFIII-2 before I started playing Reckoning and now I feel like going back to finish it up. I wish I was at home where I have a dual-screen gaming setup where I could do both at once! (It's not like FF combat takes much effort to grind through)

scy

See I have almost the opposite dilemma - I didn't finish FFIII-2 before I started playing Reckoning and now I feel like going back to finish it up. I wish I was at home where I have a dual-screen gaming setup where I could do both at once! (It's not like FF combat takes much effort to grind through)

Every time I see my PS3, it gives me sad, wisftul looks and tries to get me back to XIII-2 (which I was actually enjoying). I'm more wondering if I should move the PC back to the living room so I can play Amalur on 55" instead of 25" though...

Top Bottom