• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Amir0x

Banned
See I have almost the opposite dilemma - I didn't finish FFIII-2 before I started playing Reckoning and now I feel like going back to finish it up. I wish I was at home where I have a dual-screen gaming setup where I could do both at once! (It's not like FF combat takes much effort to grind through)

Playing FFXIII-2 after Amalur is like paying someone to intentionally stab me repeatedly with a tuberculosis tainted rusty nail

The desert areas of this game are shockingly gorgeous, a really nice break from the slightly generic fantasy forest the game started in. God I love New Mexico style desert rock formations. I wish the music there was more distinctive though. Gimme some flamenco guitar!

Actually, most of the music in this game is a bit underwhelming. The battle music is annoying as fuck.

Nista

Playing FFXIII-2 after Amalur is like paying someone to intentionally stab me repeatedly with a tuberculosis tainted rusty nail

Hah you've got the IGN hyperbole curse, Amirox! ;)

See to me they are oddly complementary - one has a super serious story full of British people spouting 50-cent words and high drama, and the other has a story about time travel that actively contradicts itself, and lets you pick totally ridiculous dialogue choices for the main characters.

And sadly Reckoning does not let you put sunglasses on your Faer Gorta. Or own a harem.
#blamefrazier

FF13-2 also has better hair.

gehrig38

Wolves, Barghasts, and Arcane Barghasts as far as wildlife is concerned. There's some new enemy types too.

Also, fucking Sprites.

Short and sweet of it is that enemy attacks have a "value" to them and Hard raises the limit for that value. e.g., A Wolf attacking is a "1" and a Troll's charge is a "5" so if Normal is limited to "5", you'll never see both attacks together.

I haven't played on Normal myself but I can't remember the last time I actually saw enemies obviously waiting for attacks to finish before they could attack. There's been staggered attacks but it didn't feel like this issue and just more of a hoping to catch me off-block or mid-swing.

You absolutely should see strategy in many enemies AI, even cooler for Finesse builds is watching smarter enemies, even wolves:) try to find a route to you around a trap you lay, just gets to be insane fun as you try to outwit an NPC, which I'll admit I think is awesome.

Wanna know something cooler? I can remember the milestone the combat and AI team was showing this tech live for the first time, and how stealth was working in terrain where you could 'lose' monsters, and how their sight, and hearing, played roles in them finding you, or losing you:)

To see that now in game is awesome.

massoluk

Banned
Finally gave in and drop $60 on steam...

Forgive me if I don't backtrack through 80+ pages of this thread if these things sound like repeats of repeats.

The camera sucks... hard. I keep trying to use the mouse wheel to zoom out out of habit. Jesus H. Christ. Is there a config file out there that can zoom the camera out?

And what's the deal with EA Account's Unknown connection error?

Actually, most of the music in this game is a bit underwhelming. The battle music is annoying as fuck.

I'm very disappointed in the music so far. It's the same uninspired tune every 10 minutes or so (10 hours played), that I've noticed anyway. The first 10 hours of a great RPG should provide some awesome music. I can't help but think of Divinity II. The beginning town music was beyond epic, I could listen to it loop for hours. Kirill Pokrovsky is incredible.

Anyone know where to find some awesome gems to buy? I ran into a guy selling them yesterday but I can't remember where he was located. Anyone remember seeing him in the first few areas? For reference I haven't made it past Lorca-Rane/The Sidhe.

Anyone know where to find some awesome gems to buy? I ran into a guy selling them yesterday but I can't remember where he was located. Anyone remember seeing him in the first few areas? For reference I haven't made it past Lorca-Rane/The Sidhe.

I think the 2nd or 3rd temple/church has a guy. The place with the monks. He sells epic gems.

I just can't get enough of this game. First time I've ever played a Mage type character in an RPG, but the combat is just so enjoyable. Playing a pure sorcery build and it's just so satisfying to fuck shit up.

Also Curt, you're an awesome guy. If more devs were like you and your team the world would be a much better place!

I'm very disappointed in the music so far. It's the same uninspired tune every 10 minutes or so (10 hours played), that I've noticed anyway. The first 10 hours of a great RPG should provide some awesome music. I can't help but think of Divinity II. The beginning town music was beyond epic, I could listen to it loop for hours. Kirill Pokrovsky is incredible.

I like the main theme well enough, but it feels like that's the only flavor of music in the game.

Carm

Just hit 35 hours played, finished off all Dalentarth quests, I think anyway. Gnarsh was pretty easy. Thankfully I saved right before because I didn't use my fate ability the first time. Easy 8k exp using that on her, which dinged me to 19. Went to Ysa but quit for now. There is a place in Sidh, called I think Adoh, does that open up soon or is that quite a bit later?

I don't understand how people are running into grey con mobs out in the world. The only time I see them is when I'm backtracking and I saw a few on the road to the last part of House of Ballads questline. Sidh forest turned grey when I dinged 19, but I had no quests left so didn't matter.

Crafted two new weapons since my others were getting long in the tooth, I like fire.
Agnhgl.png

Camera still annoys, hopefully that patch is coming soon.

Zeth

What's the best way to stop NPCs in certain areas from being hostile after I steal from them?

And when will I run into some Faeblades?

scy

Just hit 35 hours played, finished off all Dalentarth quests, I think anyway. Gnarsh was pretty easy. Thankfully I saved right before because I didn't use my fate ability the first time. Easy 8k exp using that on her, which dinged me to 19. Went to Ysa but quit for now. There is a place in Sidh, called I think Adoh, does that open up soon or is that quite a bit later?

Aodh is part of the Scholia Arcana faction. It's pretty early in the questline, though.

I don't understand how people are running into grey con mobs out in the world. The only time I see them is when I'm backtracking and I saw a few on the road to the last part of House of Ballads questline. Sidh forest turned grey when I dinged 19, but I had no quests left so didn't matter.

18 is when Ettinmere hit grey, if I recall (or was it 19?). All of Dalentarth was of level for me while I was doing it until then, though. The Plains and Detyre, however, didn't keep up quite as well...

Rad Agast

I take it back!

I went to get repairs and I found out that the blacksmith is the guy to see for upgrades. At 1K a pop, I've had more than enough to fully upgrade it.

Nice!

Not to nit pick but are you sure it was 1k per house upgrade? I got mine fully upgraded for 400 and change each.

I need to get some sleep but I can't stop thinking about the game. The last time some thing like this happened to me was back with Arkham Asylum.

Keikaku

Not to nit pick but are you sure it was 1k per house upgrade? I got mine fully upgraded for 400 and change each.

I need to get some sleep but I can't stop thinking about the game. The last time some thing like this happened to me was back with Arkham Asylum.
I was told 918 for the last few upgrades at least.

Does anybody have a break down of the zones by recommended level? Everything I'm running into is gray in the overworld and its kind of bumming me out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Mine was around 400 per upgrade, too.

I wonder if it changes depending on your persuasion skill?

Rad Agast

Mine was around 400 per upgrade, too.

I wonder if it changes depending on your persuasion skill?

I only have points invested in sagecraft, alchemy and the dispel ward skill. Didn't bother with stealth since I seem to be doing fine with zero points in it and lock picking is a piece of cake (I'm a Seer with all points going into the Sorcery).

Dresden

Getting my ass beaten pretty hardcore in the last
Maid of Windmere
fight. Thresh rips me up hard. Might have to back out so I can buy a gazillion potions or just respec to sorcery.

After finishing the House of Ballads faction quest, I moved from really liking this game to absolutely fucking loving it. This is the first faction quest I completed...if the stories for the rest are as good as this one, I'm in for a helluva time.
So what did you guys choose? I decided to rule with her and now everybody in town is pissed, haha. Get used to it, you crybabies.

Apeboy

Anyone found a spider in their Canneroc house? I think it was the last upgrade the guy said a spider got into the basement and to be careful.

I haven't encountered one yet but I'm creeped out every time I go down there.

Getting my ass beaten pretty hardcore in the last
Maid of Windmere
fight. Thresh rips me up hard. Might have to back out so I can buy a gazillion potions or just respec to sorcery.
That's when I switched to normal. The combat isn't good enough to support 30 different homing missile spamming enemies at once. Could've probably gone back to town and bought a bunch of potions, but I didn't have the motivation to walk through that cave/dungeon again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played the PC demo and enjoyed it a bit, but the camera... :(

Thinking of giving it a go on PS3. How does it perform? Any Skyrim buggy messes? And does the game openly allow you to respec? Not having to have multiple characters to experience various facets of the game would be awesome.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I played the PC demo and enjoyed it a bit, but the camera... :(

Thinking of giving it a go on PS3. How does it perform? Any Skyrim buggy messes? And does the game openly allow you to respec? Not having to have multiple characters to experience various facets of the game would be awesome.

You pay some gold and you can respec.

Rad Agast

Pretty low. I think I'm only like level 13 now, so potentially as low as level 8 or 9.

I was a level 9/10. I thought for a second that prices would scale down depending on your level but I guess that's not the case. Most likely some quest related thing then.

If you don't own the game yet, it's $45 for Xbox 360 only at Amazon now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044SA70M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(Prime shipping gets it there by Tuesday, one-day would get it there Saturday if you order it asap)

Thanks for the heads-up. It's the result of them price-matching Toys R US, but for some reason only on 360. I emailed them and 30 minutes later received a note back saying they credited me back 14.96 since I had just bought it on Tuesday.

whyman

Im level 11, is it any idea to buy Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Weapons & Armor Bundle or is the gear for lower levels?

Dresden

That's when I switched to normal. The combat isn't good enough to support 30 different homing missile spamming enemies at once. Could've probably gone back to town and bought a bunch of potions, but I didn't have the motivation to walk through that cave/dungeon again.

The game just prompted me if I wanted to switch, lol.

I'm going to give it a few more tries on hard. Being Cursed and without potions isn't helping though. I might just grind out fate outside the castle and Reckoning everything. :(

Apeboy

I'm all finesse bow and dagger, took me a few times but now I'm handling crowds pretty well. Frost traps in choke points if available or to cover flanks, concentrate on non stunned mobs and back off when you see a retaliation starting up. Use shadow something or nother to stun as well while resetting traps.

When the homing missile stuff starts I back way off and dodge, most of those types of attacks are telegraphed well in advanced, like the Jottuns teeing up a ice ball and smacking it with their club, gee, wonder where they got that idea.

The more patience I have the more enjoyable the fight.

Top Bottom