• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

MrDaravon

Finally sat down and put a few hours into the game, pretty much in love. Cleared the first miniboss, went back down and took the alternate path up from the first floor which lead to more branching paths and floors. Picking up all the mats/blueprints I finally managed to find a new elevator to take me back down, so incredibly tense. Fantastic.

How do you increase the max size of your kill coin bank? Mine's currently capped at the starting 40k, and you can obviously go higher since the stew costs more than that. I'm already at the cap.

What time does the level layout switch? Was about to finish clearing out 1-10 only for it to scramble.

Guessing it's around 7 or 7:30 EST, obviously, just wondering how often a week

Finally sat down and put a few hours into the game, pretty much in love. Cleared the first miniboss, went back down and took the alternate path up from the first floor which lead to more branching paths and floors. Picking up all the mats/blueprints I finally managed to find a new elevator to take me back down, so incredibly tense. Fantastic.

How do you increase the max size of your kill coin bank? Mine's currently capped at the starting 40k, and you can obviously go higher since the stew costs more than that. I'm already at the cap.

At Tetsuo the "Robot" at the front of the waiting room that allows you to raid players, go to waiting room in his options, buy equipment and you can use splitihium to upgrade stuff at your base.

Skrams

Can i parry with circle? the timing is similar to dark souls parry shield?
I'm not good at parrying in Souls games, but kind of? It's a lot easier than Souls though since I can get it fairly reliably. Even did the 10 perfect parries in a row quest. Just got to feel itout
I did a bunch of waiting room raids today and almost nobody had guards set up. Seems a bit too easy at the moment.
Yeah, you can also look at peoples TDM points to see if it's at 0 or not. 0 usually means they probably haven't bothered to set up any defenses. I run into defenseless shit every few times.
Yeah, had no idea. Was a bit stunned when I saw his hp.

Starting to think kidnapping people isn't worth it. All it does is let me get raided by top tier people that wouldn't otherwise see me on their raid lists.
Nah, kidnapping can be good. I was wondering what that ransom thing was all about and just figured out what it is. A guy can actually pay to get his fighter back I assume via the freezer. I got 8500 for doing nuthin. Good shit.
I'm having fun, but is there an actual end to this game?

No one here knows for sure. But yes, 99% probably.

Wow second attempt at floor 20 boss. One Transfungus and an iron and he was dead within 10 seconds. Whoooo. Yea, my 29dmg machete did not cut it the first time, could barely scratch him.

Nah, kidnapping can be good. I was wondering what that ransom thing was all about and just figured out what it is. A guy can actually pay to get his fighter back I assume via the freezer. I got 8500 for doing nuthin. Good shit.

Someone actually payed the ransom? Wow. My prisoners are usually rescued by some other crazy high raider within 20 minutes of capture.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So for option 1 all I lose is my progress in the level. Nice.

What does insurance do? Missed that.
Death Metals should be used pretty sparingly (unless you are totally down to spend real money on this game) "Losing all your progress in the level" is bread and butter for this kind of game when you die- compared to most roguelikes this has a pretty forgiving scheme in that you have multiple ways of getting your character back in the first place, even with their inventory.

You can get death metals without paying from the daily login rewards.
Thanks. I got to floor 6 and foolishly did not take the elevator down (and lost all my death metals).
How did you lose all your death metals? You don't actually lose them if you log out without being in the waiting room do you?

Hmm, so I was wrong about cancelling the yoga healing mushroom. I must have been pressing circle at the same moment it ended several times, haha.

Sorry for bad intel!

big_z

Just got raided by the number one guy on the leaderboard, diamond rank at 5397 tdm points. He used a naked raider, just fists, with 12300 health.

Suffice to say, he destroyed my 7 defenders, waiting room, and freed my hostage like it was nothing.

But hey, if I can raid him back successfully, I can steal 12k coins and 24k splithium.

That guys from Alaska right? I figured he was someone working on the game. He's had the same tdm stats since the day after launch.

There's a parry with circle...? Can only certain weapons do it?
I think people are referring to the perfect guard. Any block done at the last second repels the attacker and you take zero damage.

Though someone was saying the iron's r1 attack was a functional parry too. Haven't really played with that much.

That guys from Alaska right? I figured he was someone working on the game. He's had the same tdm stats since the day after launch.
He was on the Canadian team when he raided me. But he could have switched teams from Alaska.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think people are referring to the perfect guard. Any block done at the last second repels the attacker and you take zero damage.

Though someone was saying the iron's r1 attack was a functional parry too. Haven't really played with that much.
I'm sure that is what they're talking about. I will add that to my "unlisted controls" in the post... Can you do it even with fists?

I have heard that some weapons do have a parry on R1/L1 too, yeah.

I'm sure that is what they're talking about. I will add that to my "unlisted controls" in the post... Can you do it even with fists?

I have heard that some weapons do have a parry on R1/L1 too, yeah.
It does, but you probably need rank 8 with fists (guard against weapons with fists) first.

I didn't try it early on before I had that perk, but it seems logical.

He's actually saying a version of "sasori" which means Scorpion. ^^

Hahah, much like the frog saying "gerogero" (basically, "croak croak").

Charge attack feels really good to land. It's worth taking a little bit of damage for it.

Is that the pickaxe's R1? How does that attack work? I hit enemies with it but it seems to do no damage?

gerogerogerogero

Thank you! And yep, played a couple hours before maintenance last night and going to play a ton today :D I haven't even gotten past the 2nd floor yet (by choice, being super methodical) and I'm in love.

I do think this has wider appeal than it seems to many at first glance. I mean... the asking price is pretty hard to argue with...

Hahah, yup! And it does have broader appeal than the souslborne games, once you level up your weapons and characters it's much easier (though I'm only on floor 5 or so myself and I think it gets much harder).

Thanks, I will correct that!

That is very cool. I haven't tried out the fireworks yet. And intermediate/advance tips with stuff about individual weapon classes, decals, which mushrooms and beasts to grill, and the raiding/defense elements would be awesome to do at some point.

Basically grill all beast and mushrooms, all of them improve by cooking (wel, except the grenade/poison/sleep/etc. ones, which just go off).

The fireworks are interesting in that they stick to the enemy, paralyzing them and dealing damage over time, then explode but oddly this explosion does no damage (unless that also is something you unlock later). The interesting bit is that while they are dealing damage, getting too close will actually damage you too, which promotes using them from afar. However, since enemies are frozen over from the damage, you can chain them without them getting close. It turns a C- weapon into an A+.

hey thanks :)

Generally speaking, running like hell to the next semblance of safety without looking back (my preferred strategy in the vast majority of Soulsborne levels XD) seems much less viable in this. Aggro leashes seem endless or nearly so, and input confusion like you've noted here makes it even trickier.

Aggro leash seems infinite indeed, and enemies can pretty much reach you anywhere (a pretty damn good AI feat itself). However, if you know where the escalator is and are in a pinch, making a run for it is a quite good strategy as taking them to the next level instantly make you invulnerable. That is, however, assuming you don't dropkick instead, which has indeed happened to me a few times (though never lethally).

The lock-on is best used sparingly, when you have a single target you want to kite around. In most tighter environments and especially when against a few opponents, it is best avoided.

Actually I find locking on is pretty important most of the time, and this includes making enemies whiff and counterattack. The fact that you have to switch targets with d-pad up is inconvenient, but it frees the right analog to move the camera even when locked on. It's also much harder to miss when locked on, not just with ranged weapons but melee as well.

If I were to use one of my daily express passes now would it last til 8:20 tomorrow night or just til whenever the game resets maybe like 3a.m. pacific time?

Justified

How do I get to the 14th floor? All of the 13th floor rooms go down except one, but the stairs are behind a gate with the switch on the other side

Skrams

Kind of sucks you need 32 SPH for more toilets. The game is handing me guys to capture left and right, but I only got one toilet.

CzW7k5PXgAASjvw.jpg
CzW7joRXAAA4vyi.jpg
There's a parry with circle...? Can only certain weapons do it?

All should be able to. Fists you need to master more to be able to. I haven't tried guarding against certain things like pickaxes though. I would assume they break guard, but it's a guess based off nothing.
So the iron r1 parry. Longer start up time than a regular perfect guard with circle, but has a bigger window to actually work (when the steam is coming out). If you mistime it, you still get a regular block. Also, unlike normal blocking / perfect guard, iron parries use up a little stamina each time you hit r1.

Doesn't use up steam ammo, and doesn't seem to use up any durability. Or if it does, it's tiny, or maybe is proportional to incoming damage. Against a level 1 screamer punching me, I didn't notice durability loss.

Edit: The iron parry also counts towards the quest to do 10 perfect guards in a row. The generous parry window makes this really easy to complete using a tuber, since their attacks have slow windups. Get that free death metal!
Well, shit. That would of made that quest way easier. I don't really like the iron guard since it feels a bit slow, but it's fine for what it is.
I just want to be able to listen to my music while I play this game. Is that so much to ask? IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?
Hell, I'd give for the ability for just the in game soundtrack to play over the tower while exploring.

So the iron r1 parry. Longer start up time than a regular perfect guard with circle, but has a bigger window to actually work (when the steam is coming out). If you mistime it, you still get a regular block. Also, unlike normal blocking / perfect guard, iron parries use up a little stamina each time you hit r1.

Doesn't use up steam ammo, and doesn't seem to use up any durability. Or if it does, it's tiny, or maybe is proportional to incoming damage. Against a level 1 screamer punching me, I didn't notice durability loss.

Edit: The iron parry also counts towards the quest to do 10 perfect guards in a row. The generous parry window makes this really easy to complete using a tuber, since their attacks have slow windups. Get that free death metal!

hbkdx12

There was a point when i first started playing this game where i had like 12 death metals and there were multiple instances where i was dying 3 or 4 times within seconds of each death and burning death metals not knowing about salvaging and thinking that was the only way i wouldn't lose my stuff

I'm now salty at the idea of how much more storage space i could have given myself had i realized death metals are no where near as important as you'd be lead to believe in the early game. Even then, i didn't find out you can create extra storage space until today.

Got damnit

My storage space, like most people i imagine, is just filled with crafting materials. The pack rat in me wont just sell it all off not knowing what i may need in the future.

Lucent

To be honest I feel shame that I'm playing this more as of recently than Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. Two games, that are great that I was enjoying, but this game out of nowhere as got my dopamine receptors firing on all cylinders.

Lol same. I wanna play FFXV, but I want to play this while it's new and everyone is active and still learning. FFXV isn't going anywhere.

Guys si I'm stuck at the 13 th floor. Can't find a route to go farther. It seems that I need to beat the 11th floor boss to unlock some gates. But how do I get to it?

So I'm quoting myself with now a picture included.

CzUJpEFVIAA_sep.jpg:large

It just seems that I'm locked out from every angle to get to the floor 11 boss. Even the green lock on the Seyane I can't go through, because the switch is on THE OTHER side of the gate. Same thing with the green lock going down from UKONGOAKA, it's unlocked but the gate switch is on the other side.

To be honest I feel shame that I'm playing this more as of recently than Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. Two games, that are great that I was enjoying, but this game out of nowhere has got my dopamine receptors firing on all cylinders.

Yea same with me. I have like 5 or 6 other games that I bought recently and played partway through but this game has its bloody claws in me.

Phil Fish

Banned
Death Metals should be used pretty sparingly (unless you are totally down to spend real money on this game) "Losing all your progress in the level" is bread and butter for this kind of game when you die- compared to most roguelikes this has a pretty forgiving scheme in that you have multiple ways of getting your character back in the first place, even with their inventory.

You can get death metals without paying from the daily login rewards.

How did you lose all your death metals? You don't actually lose them if you log out without being in the waiting room do you?

It's because I used them all when I was dying.

But someone told me to save them up instead and just salvage.

darklin0

Banned
What the fuck? The game gets that crazy?

Health goes that high?

Shit, so much more to this game. Only just hit floor 11 and bought my first rank 2 fighter. Gonna be sad to chop up my rank 1 starters.
Yeah it can get that high easily. I have a tier 3 striker with maxed HP and the tank sticker at the moment. It is a bit over 1230 hp.

Edit: I read it incorrectly. If they are hitting 12k that is crazy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
However, if you know where the escalator is and are in a pinch, making a run for it is a quite good strategy as taking them to the next level instantly make you invulnerable. That is, however, assuming you don't dropkick instead, which has indeed happened to me a few times (though never lethally).
Good point, I didn't mean to dismiss it as impossible. But in Souls games I could often charge blindly ahead of intro an area not even knowing where exactly I was headed if the enemies seemed too tough or cumbersome to fight, and just stop running when I felt the familiarity of safety. If you can make a beeline for the escalator or elevator knowing where it is then indeed you can just stop sprinting as soon as you reach it and hit X and it does the trick.
Actually I find locking on is pretty important most of the time, and this includes making enemies whiff and counterattack. The fact that you have to switch targets with d-pad up is inconvenient, but it frees the right analog to move the camera even when locked on. It's also much harder to miss when locked on, not just with ranged weapons but melee as well.
I wonder if it varies a bit weapon to weapon or by preference, in some corridors I found it a hindrance.

Awesome to know. What master level unlocks the R1 for the iron?
To be honest I feel shame that I'm playing this more as of recently than Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. Two games, that are great that I was enjoying, but this game out of nowhere has got my dopamine receptors firing on all cylinders.
Lol same. I wanna play FFXV, but I want to play this while it's new and everyone is active and still learning. FFXV isn't going anywhere.
yarp

It just seems that I'm locked out from every angle to get to the floor 11 boss. Even the green lock on the Seyane I can't go through, because the switch is on THE OTHER side of the gate. Same thing with the green lock going down from UKONGOAKA, it's unlocked but the gate switch is on the other side.
That's odd... The ukongoaka escalator down had a switch on my side that let me get through to the escalator down to the boss.

Phil Fish

Banned
Is there a specific condition that needs to be met for capturing players and bringing them back to your toilets? Everytime I raid a base with 2-3 enemies, I can never pick up any of them after killing them. They are never at a "near-death" state, does this happen randomly?

I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly either, but when raiding and seeing captives, I am not sure how to free them. I usually just break the cage and they end up disappearing. After I finish, it says that none have been freed. Maybe something else should be done instead of breaking the cage?

vilmer_

Explore the other side of floor 11 ;)

Is there a specific condition that needs to be met for capturing players and bringing them back to your toilets? Everytime I raid a base with 2-3 enemies, I can never pick up any of them after killing them. They are never at a "near-death" state, does this happen randomly?

I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly either, but when raiding and seeing captives, I am not sure how to free them. I usually just break the cage and they end up disappearing. After I finish, it says that none have been freed. Maybe something else should be done instead of breaking the cage?

It's random.

All you have to do is break the gate on the room they are in.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My fucking internet is out. I'm like addicted to this game atm and my internet is down.

And of course I was holding a rare upgrade material. I've been searching for one of these for days and randomly it pops out of a silver case (one I've opened probably a hundred times) and my goddamn internet crashes on my way down the elevator.

They are coming out to fix it tomorrow... but I was actually really pissed off. (over a videogame lol -- what a dork)

Last time I had a crash while loading, recovering my fighter from the freezer did not have the bag items. So I'm pretty worried I've lost that rare drop.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Basically grill all beast and mushrooms, all of them improve by cooking (wel, except the grenade/poison/sleep/etc. ones, which just go off).

LOL

Dude you cook with X. lol

You CAN cook things other ways (throwing in the fire, shooting with the fireworks gun, flamethrower, etc) but proper cooking is done by left on touchpad and then X when you see the cooking icon. You have to be close to the fire.

lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My fucking internet is out. I'm like addicted to this game atm and my internet is down.

And of course I was holding a rare upgrade material. I've been searching for one of these for days and randomly it pops out of a silver case (one I've opened probably a hundred times) and my goddamn internet crashes on my way down the elevator.

They are coming out to fix it tomorrow... but I was actually really pissed off. (over a videogame lol -- what a dork)

Last time I had a crash while loading, recovering my fighter from the freezer did not have the bag items. So I'm pretty worried I've lost that rare drop.

That sucks... sorry bro :<
LOL

Dude you cook with X. lol

You CAN cook things other ways (throwing in the fire, shooting with the fireworks gun, flamethrower, etc) but proper cooking is done by left on touchpad and then X when you see the cooking icon. You have to be close to the fire.

lol
Hmm, what in his post made you feel that he didn't know that? Or does proper cooking the negative effect mushrooms make them better?

Top Bottom